InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Unexpected Endeavors ❯ The Deal: Day 3 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Kagome always loved mornings in the Sengoku Jidai. The air was still so clean, and the open land was fragrant from the scent of fresh dew. Hot tea in hand, Kagome walked through the fields, barefooted, enjoying the peace.
“You're up early,” a soft baritone interrupted the calm.
“And you're out late,” she responded.
Miroku chuckled as he approached the young miko. He had a musky scent to him; the smell of sex, smoke, and sake. “We weren't expecting you back so soon. Did something happen?”
“Yeah. I got some good advice.”
“Oh? Did you figure out a way to get out of your...situation?”
“A friend reminded me when things get tough, it's best to have as many allies as you can.”
It took a moment for realization to hit the handsome monk, but as he it dawned on him, his eyes widened. “Kagome-san, don't do this for the sake of an alliance.”
“I know this sounds ridiculous, but if I can do this, then it's a small price to pay. And, you know how I am, I wouldn't mind being a mother. I wasn't planning on it this early, but most women my age--in this era--are wives and mothers already.”
“But you'll only be a mother.”
“And what about in your time,” Inuyasha cut in. He was still in the tree canopy but had obviously been listening in. Miroku figured he had been silently watching over her the moment she had stepped out of Kaede's hut.
“What about it?” Kagome asked.
“Women in your time don't have babies this early. Your grandfather explained that to me a while ago. And it's hard to be a mom with 500 years between you and the pup. And, of course, this is if Sesshomaru actually holds to his word and lets you.”
Kagome chewed on the bottom of her lip. “That's another thing I realized.” She toed the soft, damp dirt with her brown loafer. “I got into a fight with my friends while I was there, and from that I kind of realized I don't really belong in my time anymore. I mean, I don't really fit in here completely either. But it feels like the Sengoku Jidai is more where I belong now.”
“Now, Kagome-san,” Miroku stopped her. “Don't decide this because of just had a little fight with your friends. What about your family?”
“As long as the well is open, I can still visit them.”
Miroku opened his mouth to argue more but Inuyasha stopped him with a brusque bark. There was an uncomfortable silence. He decided to take another route. “You're okay with her decision, Inuyasha?”
“About having Sesshomaru's brat? Hell no! About staying--yeah. We're just as much her family as they are.”
Kagome looked up at the tree she guessed Inuyasha was in. “Does that mean--after the shikon is whole again...you'll still be around?”
Inuyasha paused, understanding the depth of the question. He wanted to say yes; scream yes--do anything that may convince her that he would always be there to protect her, but the hanyou was anything if not stubborn and held his tongue; letting the question and his answer fall into the waking birds' songs.
“It pisses me off,” he eventually began. “That it had to take Sesshomaru to make you realize that you belong here.”
The tree tops shifted and waved under a breathless wind. It was the only indication that Inuyasha had jumped away. Kagome sighed.
“He'll stop being angry eventually.”
The young miko nodded. “He's actually taking this better than I thought.”
“You mean a lot to him.”
Kagome snorted. “We all do,” she replied. “Now, let's go. My tea is cold and I'm felling antsy.”
“Antsy?”
“Yup. I think we should fill Kaede-san and Sango-san in with the latest news then head west.”
“Why west? Did you hear a rumour of Naraku that way?”
“Nope. I want to make sure Sesshomaru-dono will accept this newest stipulation before the new moon.”
“Didn't he say to stay here?”
Kagome looked at the monk. “Miroku-san, Inuyasha is one of my best friends and I don't listen to half of the things he says to me. What makes you think I'll listen to Sesshomaru-dono?”
The monk laughed. “Well then,” he began. “I suppose we should get going.”
Unexpected Endeavors
Arc 1: The Deal
Chapter 4: Day 3