InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Until Death ❯ Help From Unexpected Places ( Chapter 3 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Inuyasha…yet! (Maniacal laugh)
Chapter 3
Help From Unexpected Places
Sesshoumaru shook his head, ashamed more than ever to be related to such a despicable piece of filth. A sudden odor permeated the cool, crisp air of the night. Through the treetops, the full moon shone through, highlighting the features of the girl before him. Silently, he watched as, eyes wide in panic and fear, Kagome clutched her neck, falling to her knees in the process. The combined scents of pain, panic, fear, and sweat rolled off in waves the human as she fell to the ground, twitching violently.
Sesshoumaru quickly closed the space between them, smelling the illness that clung to the girl like that clay pot was hanging off his half brother. His hearing picked up her course breathing, and the words that passes through her lips. “Medicine…bag,” before she closed her eyes, and her writhing stopped.
He stood up, hesitating on what to do next. His eyes roved over the unconscious miko before him, and wondered if he should just find someone else to help Rin. He shook his head, dispelling such thoughts, begrudgingly; he stooped down to grab Kagome, her weight barely noted. Besides, something told him this was the only girl that could help his ward. His mind back on his mission, he summoned up his demon cloud, heading towards the outer edge of the forest, in hopes of finding the bag the young miko had been talking about.
Miroku and Sango sat in complete silence, lost in their own little worlds as they stared into the dimming fire. Shippo, already asleep, lay curled around Kilala, who was also asleep.
“Miroku?” Sango asked, silent enough so as not to wake the sleeping kitsune. Miroku turned her way, all attention focused towards Sango, intent on the question he knew she would ask, already pondering how he would respond in turn. “Miroku, do you think Inuyasha made his decision?” she asked, still gazing worriedly into the fire. “It is a good possibility dear Sango that that is exactly what is happening.” He answered softly, knowing this wouldn't be the extent of the questions.
Silence ensued for seconds before Sango reopened her mouth to speak. “Miroku, who do you think he will pick?” her voice held hope for what the monk would hopefully reply. “Your guess is as good as mine.” He said with a shrug of his shoulders.
Sango stared deeply into the fire. “Miroku?” she mumbled softly, the sadness echoing in her tone. “Hmm?” Miroku mumbled, once more giving the demon slayer his wholehearted attention. “I'm worried about Kagome.” She said. Miroku jumped in surprise as Sango crept up to him and laid her head tiredly on his shoulder. Miroku smiled, placing his arm around her shoulder, finally resting his hand on her upper arm, pulling her close. He knew he could be a letch any other time. Right now, Sango needed someone to ease her worry, worry he too shared, and he wanted to be that someone. He wanted to be that someone really, really bad.
Gently, he pulled her closer, happy for her warmth as the wind blew harshly over the ground, stirring the ashes of the fire, bringing it back to life. Looking up at the starless sky, he hoped that Kagome had that same comfort.
Sesshoumaru exited the forest with the same grace he had entered it. Not a leaf rustled out of place as he walked, never jarring the slight form in his arms as he took step after step.
A cold wind stirred as the Lord entered the large, flat expanse of land that encircled Kaede's Village for miles around. He glanced around, too intelligent to believe the miko had left her bag with her precious medicine all the way back in the village. Scanning the ground around him, he smirked in triumph, not twenty paces to his left was the strange yellow contraption he knew the girl to carry around. Walking up to it, he noticed immediately that it had obviously seen better days. Picking it up, his eyes widened, the bag weighed more than the girl herself did!
Hoisting the girl more comfortably in his grasp, he made his way towards his castle. There he would make sure the girl got her medicine. He would make sure she could help Rin.
He glanced at the unmoving body in his arms. Even in the dark he could see that she had aged. Her hair was highlighted blue in the light of the moon and her pale face was untouched. Sesshoumaru snorted, That stupid brother of mine just made the biggest mistake of his life. He thought, instantly ridding him of such thoughts. Looking down at Kagome once more he noted how skinny she seemed, the dark hollows beneath her eyes making her skin seem sallow. He noticed the light, troubled breaths she took, how fragile her body really did seem. His mind went back to the sickness he could smell on her body, the smell seeming to overwhelm him momentarily. He took a tentive whiff. (A.K.A: he's sniffing Kagome:) The smell was still there, lying underneath her scent of lilacs and roses. My moron of a brother probably didn't even notice his miko's fallen ill. He thought with a sharp growl, upset by this thought for some reason.
He pulled his mind to more important things as his castle came into view. The effect the moon had on the massive palace was breathtaking whether you were human or demon. The bricks sparkled like diamonds, due to the strong spells surrounding the castle and the unbreachable protective barrier that covered the surrounding area.
Landing elegantly before the doors, the guards moved aside, bowing slightly as a sign of tribute to the one who protected and ruled the land. In their haste to please their Lord, no one noticed the small body Sesshoumaru held within his grasp.
As he entered the stronghold a small green demon ran up to him, bowing, on his hands and knees, before his lord. Sesshoumaru walked past the creature. As he walked up the main staircase, without a glance towards the servant, he asked, face emotionless, “How is Rin?” Jaken shook his head sadly, “She won't even wake anymore. She hasn't responded to any of the healers in the last two days.” He answered, unable to look the Lord in the eye.
As if he had asked some menial question, Sesshoumaru continued, unfazed. “Is the room I asked to have set up ready?” his cold voice permeated the room echoing off the cold stone interior. Jaken nodded. The Lord nodded his understanding as he reached the top of the staircase and continued his journey, stopping in front of a door and gently kicking it open with no effort on his part. Gently, he placed Kagome on the bed and began rummaging through the bag. His hands emptying the contents of the bag neatly on the floor. Peering in, he pulled the last few things from the bag, placing them on the ground before him. Of all the things he had found, the four orange opaque cylander bottles the most fascinating.
He picked one of them up. It appeared inside there were capsules. The label, placed neatly on the outer side of the bottle had writing on it. Take two as needed for pain every four hours. May cause drowsiness. May cause nausea. Sesshoumaru read, the list going on and on. He read each of the bottles. Two of them said to take ever two hours, one said every four hours, and the last said take as needed, but not to exceed four capsules a day.
Sesshoumaru took each allotted amount carefully out of each bottle and looked blankly at the miko. Her breathing hadn't changed in all of the time he had been with her. grimly, he forced open her mouth, placing a pill or two at a time he force fed her pills. Clamping her mouth shut and sealing her nose he found she would swallow.
Quietly, as not to wake the miko(Not that forcing a bunch of pills down someone's throat won't wake them!) he left the room. Now to check on Rin. He thought tautly. Slowly, cautiously, he entered the dark room, his face grim. His eyes locked solely on the girl before him. The miko will heal you. He thought, reaching for the small hand that protruded out of the covers. I promise…