InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Until Death ❯ A Day Lost In Time ( Chapter 17 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Inuyasha that right belongs solely to Rumiko Takahashi,but I do own the plot of this story and all of its flaws…
Author's Note: I know this took forever to get out, but I was having a hard time making myself write, so there is no telling how this chapter will turn out in the end. Please enjoy!
 
Until Death
A Day Lost in Time
 
Kagome watched with a ghost of a grin as Rin chased the poor kappa around in circles, a necklace of flowers clutched tightly in her grasp. “Jaken, Rin just wants to make you beautiful! I made this flower chain just for you!” the child protested as she chased adamantly after the panting demon.
She closed her eyes as she shifted against the tree she was propped up against, fighting off the yawn she could feel trying to escape. If I yawn, Sesshoumaru'll make me go inside and nap, and Kami knows I've slept enough for a lifetime. Kagome thought with a mental sigh. The Taiyoukai had been so overprotective of her since she had returned from her trip with Inuyasha. She still wondered what happened after she drank that potion Kikyo gave her. She had the mental image of Sesshoumaru holding her at one time, but that couldn't be right, could it? Kagome threw a glance at Sesshoumaru, who sat only a few feet away from her. His silver hair twittered in the gathering breeze as he stared over the expanse of the land that lay before them.
It had been Kagome's idea to have a picnic somewhere apart from the depressing atmosphere of the castle, an atmosphere Kagome suspected might be linked with her illness. It had been weeks since she had returned with Sesshoumaru. Slowly, carefully, almost lovingly Sesshoumaru had nursed her back to health. Sure, she found she tired out quicker than normal and there were times she was gripped by painful headaches that left her drained, but Kagome expected that. Rin had been told of what was happening, and for a child of only nine years, she had taken the blow quite calmly, finding solace in the arms of both Sesshoumaru and Kagome.
Kagome was still trying to digest the degree of care the Taiyoukai lavished on her. She found she could tell him anything. He didn't pity her like the other beings in the castle seemed to. She confided her fears of death to him, finding solace in his company if nothing else. They had taken to enjoying short walks in the gardens in the afternoon if Kagome's strength held out. Kagome found she paced herself throughout the day so she could, in fact, take part in such walks. Their arms linked, they talked about anything they found to be on their minds. Though the demon lord showed little emotion outright, the miko watched for small signs that lead her to believe she knew what he was thinking or feeling at the time. A twitch of the eyebrow, the speed at which he blinked, it all had a meaning.
Kagome sighed as she closed her eyes and leaned her head back against the bark of the tree, feeling the wind sweep her bangs across her face. “Miko, are you tired? Should we head back to the castle so you may rest?” the thick baritone voice broke over Rin's carefree laugh, causing Kagome to shiver in the warmth of the sun.
Never opening her eyes, Kagome shook her head with a reassuring smile, “No Sesshoumaru, I'm fine, just enjoying the feel of the sun on my skin.”
Sesshoumaru returned his gaze back to his ward, though his mind was somewhere else completely. Kagome had become a staple in his daily life. He valued her view over the view of even his closest advisors. His heart sunk at the thought of her dying. He shifted, the weight of his sword pressing into his side bringing him comfort. Tenseiga was his ace in the hole. The only question was if once revived, would the cancer still be present, or could Kagome heal infinitely. Something told him that since this “cancer” was not of this time; Tenseiga would have no effect on it. He glanced at Kagome out of the corner of his eye, watching as she smiled at the little girl's antics. Her shoulders were slack and her brow was furrowed, signaling that another headache was on the horizon and she was tired, but her eyes had regained their spark. She no longer seemed so desperate to cling onto her strength. He had become her strength and they both knew it.
She needed him, and while that was completely understood and accepted by both parties, the fact that his need for her was just as strong was ignored. Sesshoumaru knew he needed her, but she was a weakness, death was a weakness. There was no way around the fact that she was approaching death's doors, but the fact that he had failed to protect something he so thoroughly saw as his was a blow to his pride.
********************************
Kagome reached into the basket of food the cook had prepared and began lying things out on the sheet before her. “Rin, dear, it's time to get something to eat.” Kagome shouted, a weary smile stretched on her face as the child gave her a huge grin, licked her lips, and ran over, dropping the ring of wildflowers to Jaken's relief in the process.
As everyone munched away on the food before them, Kagome glanced around them, here eyes settling on Sesshoumaru. Before she could hold it back, she began to laugh. Sitting to her left, Sesshoumaru, dressed in his usual pristine white outfit dashed with red, looked completely out of place as he bit into the sandwich in his hands.
The laugh shook her whole delicate frame and tears leaked from her eyes, but it was needed. “What's so funny, Kagome?” Rin asked as Kagome's laughter finally subsided and she yawned. Kagome leaned close to the child's ear and whispered something in her ear before the child giggled cutely, her eyes glued to Sesshoumaru.
Sesshoumaru wished to ignore the laughter, but as Rin made after Jaken once more, he leaned close to Kagome. “Care to elaborate on what was so funny, Miko?” he asked Kagome, barely louder than a whisper.
Kagome's face went bright red as she shook her head as she answered quite teasingly, “Actually Sesshoumaru-sama, I wouldn't.” Adding the honorific lightly.
Gently, as if afraid to hurt her, he wrapped his hands around her waist, a fanged smile pulling at his lips. “Are you sure of that?” he asked as he pulled her closer, the heat of his breath causing her to shiver. Kagome gulped, not trusting her voice at the moment she gave an abrupt nod.
“You wouldn't have been making fun of this Sesshoumaru's eating habits would you, Miko?” he asked as he settled her gently on his lap. Kagome's snort as she tried not to laugh told him that was exactly what she had been doing, even as she shook her head in protest.
“Miko, I don't think you're being honest.” He turned to Rin, who was still running the kappa ragged. “Rin.” He commanded, not having to repeat it a second time as the child ran over to him, a huge, childish grin plastered goofily on her face.
“Yes, Sesshoumaru-sama?” she asked. Sesshoumaru beaconed her closer, so he could whisper in her ear. Kagome strained to hear, but nothing reached her ears. Suddenly, with only a giggle as warning, tiny hands began a merciless assault on her stomach. Kagome couldn't keep back the laughter as Rin tickled her even as she fought against the iron grip of Sesshoumaru as he held her down.
“We won't be lying anytime soon, now will we, miko?” Tears streamed down Kagome's face as she shook her head with added fervor and collapsed as the tickling ceased.
It wasn't long before Kagome's ragged pants slowed, and still held by Sesshoumaru, she fell into a peaceful slumber. Getting to his feet, careful not to jar Kagome into awareness, he gathered her sleeping body into his arms.
“Rin, Jaken, come.” Slowly, under the watchful eye of the setting sun, four figures made their way back to the castle, an ominous cloud following them in silence the whole way.
 
Author's Note: Okay, I wanted this chapter to be a happy one. I think if you don't `dilute' the angst it becomes too much in the story and makes it hard to read. I hope you all liked this chapter. Please don't hesitate to review; it really does make me write sooner!