InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Violation of Honor ❯ Chapter 17 - Caring for Kagome ( Chapter 17 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Chapter 17 - Caring for Kagome

A/N: I know some people hate it when us authors take up so much room thanking their readers for reviews, but hey, if not for them, we wouldn't be here. So here goes....

Thanks to Neko-sama, Jean, Kat, Sidhe, Dragon-Zero, lillady, Faye, aimeeben, Devoted Reader, NightQueen, amanda, hatsumi_chan, Noacat, Lady Rain, JazzyJ, Blue Moon Vixen, mrs sesshy, tessa-hime, karla, AIdeen, thea, Fabi-chan, fangs_in_the_moonlight, cocoke5, gryphonwills, Lady Siyo, fortunesque, CherieElizabeth, Lissa, LovyDovy, amy, angels fallen, sesshysdarkkitten, serasvictoria666, goddessofflame07, docbevculver, TamaRose, ShadesofNight114, noi, ladydeath31178, lockedincar, sweetkijo, Miss_Marylin69, chibij82, Inusbabe, oldestmaiden, CandyEars, Vyncent, and inuyasha-coolness for being so generous with your reviews! It really makes my day to know how much you are enjoying 'Violation of Honor'.

To hasu86: I'm glad that you enjoyed Kagome's attack on Iku. I certainly enjoyed frying his ass when I wrote it. You are welcome for the review. I look forward to reading more of 'Summer Maid'. That costume has haunted me since I read that. Risa says that she owns one. I wondered if it looked the same as the one Jak designed. If so, her husband is probably a happy man. Thanks for reviewing!

Tana-san: Good grief, it isn't comforting to know that I am interfering with the proper functioning of medication needed by my readers. lol! You are hilarious and I am so happy to have you as a fan. Don't worry about the bad guys getting what they deserve, because I have some very interesting things planned for them - and none of them are pleasant. Muahahaha! Thanks for the review!

LadyR: I'm glad that I can take the credit for converting you over to the Sess/Kag group of fanfic lovers. I promise that I will not mangle Inuyasha's character for the sake of the Sess/Kag pairing. I love Inuyasha too, and have no intentions of making him any more of an idiot than he really is. LOL!

SilentDeath: What can I say to such a long and heartwarming review? I LOVE you! Haha! You are awesome and I have missed you terribly. We did have some really fun times writing The House of Lemons, didn't we? Someone just asked me the other day if we were still writing it. I said, 'well, not right now, but we are leaving it open in case the mood strikes'. You never know about us. We could sink into hentai mode at any given moment. LOL! I'm really glad to hear that your schooling is going well. You have worked so hard that you deserve the reward that you will eventually recieve. Hopefully then you will have a little breathing time. After you complete college I look forward to reading your updates. I've missed 'In Under Deep'... and all of your slightly twisted stories!

AnimeFreak242: Everyone has begged for Chisumi to be spared yet you think that I would kill her off. Hm... now would I do that? Muahahaha! I'm glad that you are enjoying the story. Thanks for reviewing!

Rose of Sharon: Don't worry about Uchuu, he will be back very soon. As for that fluff that you mentioned, well, you have your wish in both this chapter and the next. Enjoy!

demonlordlover: I'm with you there and I think Kagome is too. Nobody messes with her lover and gets away with it! As for Madman, I am ashamed to say that I just have not finished it. This story has consumed me and since the kids have been out of school it has been tough to find the time to devote to both. Now that they are back in school, I hope to be able to finish it very soon. Thanks for the review!

serendith: I think that you may be my most devoted reader yet, because I'm sure that I haven't had anyone that nearly took off from work just to go home and read my story. HAHA! Thank you!

Kiterain: Geez. I hope you didn't have a sharp object in your hand while you wrote that review. LOL! Sorry about the cliffie. You know how I love to torture you guys. To make up for it, I am posting 2 chapters this week just so that you all will not kill me for not managing to fit the lemon into chapter 17. : )

A.T.: I am so happy that you broke your personal rules just for little 'ol me. I really do appreciate your review, just as I do all of the reviews that I get. They make me smile.

Nyuka: I agree with you. Kagome is lucky to have so many hot guys in love with her. Bitch. If I didn't love her so much myself, I'd hate her for it. Yes, Nobunaga is married, but it wasn't uncommon for men of power to keep one or more mistresses. It is great to have you as a reader, and thanks for reviewing!

Tiegrsi: You might be right about that Knight disapearing. You will see what I mean really soon.

PitaBread: You are not alone in the eagerness for some well deserved and dished out torture. I promise that when retibution comes, it will leave you feeling happily satisfied. Muahahaha!

TieC123:Whew! I'm glad that you didn't get too mad. I'm only half way through with the story. LOL! Don't worry, I don't plan on going anywhere yet.

The Mad Dragon: I just had to let you know how much I enjoyed reading your review and how excited I was to see how long it was! Some folks out there might complain about long reviews, but I am not one of them. I love it when a fan takes the time to let me know, in detail, all of the things that they find special about my story. Needless to say, after reading your review, my poor head was swelled so big that I could harldly lift myself out of my chair! Thank you so much! As for your question concerning Asuza's bloody demise, I think that you can safely count on it. Risa and I have been discussing several diabolical schemes designed strictly to make Asuza suffer, and I am sure that in the end you will be satisfied with what we have planned. Thanks again for the great review!

Last, but most definitely not least, I send out my profound gratitude to Risa, who made these next two chapters legible. Thanks Girl! You're the best!

 

Now.... on with the story! Have fun!

   


 

"A hot spring?" Kagome asked happily. Her youkai leaned his smooth face close to her own until they touched and then nodded. Kagome smiled brightly and clapped her hands. She had not had a bath in so long that she felt positively crusty. "Yes!" she exclaimed, then politely bowed to her savior. "Arigato!"

He made a pleased 'humph' that held a considerable amount of humor in the sound. Kagome was thrilled to be able to bathe and soak in all that welcoming warmth. Her frozen body had lost feeling some time ago.

She startled when she felt his hands moving to untie her kimono and her hands immediately went up to stop them. He stilled, while rubbing his thumb softly against the side of her hand. His other hand abandoned the ties and cupped her chin, bringing it up until he could kiss her forehead. She knew he was asking that she trust him, but was giving her the choice. Kagome was nervous about what to do; after all, she had never undressed –intentionally-- in front of a man before.

Obviously, he only meant to help her. Kagome knew that it would be awkward and even dangerous to try and enter the natural pool on her own. The terrain was unfamiliar, and she could easily slip. She would have to accept his assistance. "I hate that I can't see," she complained. "I feel so helpless all of the time."

She still didn't have to let him undress her, even if she did need a helping hand, but truthfully, the thought of it excited her.

He simply rubbed the back of his fingers soothingly against her face, giving her the time she needed to build her nerves. Finally, Kagome gave up her struggle and accepted the truth of her dilemma. She had no choice but to let him help her into the pool. He would see her naked, and she wouldn't fool herself into thinking that he wouldn't look. He was a man, after all. And if she were completely honest with herself, she wanted him to.

Knowing that he was watching her, while he slowly helped her undress, caused a surprisingly amount of warmth to pool deep inside her tummy. She was incredibly nervous and sure that her breathing and heart rate were giving her away. He seemed to understand this, and caressed her reassuringly, while slowly removing the pieces of cloth from her body.

Sesshomaru found it pleasing that he could inspire innocent jitters from his little miko. He did not let it stop him either, because he could smell her arousal growing steadily thicker in the air. It was obvious that she enjoyed his touch, but he did not wish to frighten her, so he took extra care to go slowly. She was still untouched, after all.

When he could finally pull the filthy garment from her body, she almost hesitated. The indecision shone clearly in her eyes. He wondered if she would turn him away now, but surprisingly enough, she nodded, giving him permission to continue. He languidly --and with much eagerness, pulled the garments aside.

Her breasts were just as he imagined, full and firm, with thick, taut nipples in a shade reminiscent of darkly toasted rice husks. They were standing full --engorged from the chill in the air-- and it was difficult for him to not take one of them into his mouth. He did not wish to alarm her though, so he refrained instead, brushing his knuckles lightly over the outer swell.

She gasped softly and looked up, searching for eyes that she could not see. He leaned down lightly tasting her lips and then moved his hands downward to release the sash holding her dingy red hakama in place.

Should she be letting him do this? It was wrong, wasn't it, to enjoy the touch of a stranger? But he was no stranger to her. She might not know his name, and she may not have been able to see his face, but she had seen into his heart. She knew him on a level that far surpassed anything that she had ever known before. Kagome reached up, pushing her fears and concerns behind her, and placed her hands against the smooth, bare skin of his chest. The heat from his body was enough to scorch her palms and she wanted to curl up in it forever.

She slid her fingers over a well-defined collarbone and then a smooth, thick neck. She traced a wondering path over strong jawbones up to the curve of pointed youkai ears. She closed her eyes completely and tried to imagine what he looked like. She pictured him with long pale hair and eyes the color of the noonday sky. Or would they be as green as the forest after a rain?

Sesshomaru closed his own eyes, savoring the feel of her gentle seeking touch. She was slowly tracing his face with her hands, pausing to caress the tips of his ears, and making him shiver with delight. Over his slender brows she traced a single finger, then explored the brush of his long dark lashes and closed eyelids. Her discoveries of aristocratic cheekbones and a straight nose at last brought her to sweep delicately over slightly parted lips. He kissed the tips of her fingers as they passed, and she smiled.

Her hands soon found their way back down his neck, finally threading in his hair. Sesshomaru looked down at the thick strands so matted with muck. He was looking forward to the bath nearly as much as she was.

When he pulled the tie loose that held her hakama on, letting the filthy garment slip to the ground, Sesshomaru found himself stunned with admiration. Her body was toned - well kept - yet curved in the nicest of ways. Soft. Below the tiny indent of her navel and a flat smooth stomach, her hips swelled to frame a small thatch of dark curly hair at the apex of her thighs. The sight was enough to take his swelling member upward, where it rested now, anxiously against his hip. Sesshomaru ached to hold her close and show her exactly what the sight of her did to him, but he refused to make her feel threatened by his presence. He wanted her, but he would not force it upon her. He knew all too well how that felt.

To ease her mind, he reached up and stroked her hair before taking a hold of her arm. She stepped closer, and grasped him with her free arm as well, allowing him to take complete control of their migration into the steaming pool. He went in first, to ensure that the temperature was still comfortably sustained. He was well aware that the water could turn scalding if the fissure in the earth opened too much. Finding it basically the same as his last visit, Sesshomaru guided the miko down into the warm waters.

"Mmmm.... that's nice," Kagome moaned happily. Despite her nakedness and the oddity of her situation, she could not deny the absolute bliss of lowering her body into the shallow pool. "Oh... I am in Heaven." She opened her eyes and laid her head back just slightly. "Thank you so much. This is even better than I had dreamed it would be."

The miko certainly loved her baths. Sesshomaru found it admirable and alluring, that she enjoyed being clean. In the past, he had been close to her many times. Enemy or not, he had always thought that she smelled nice, like a fresh spring breeze. Most humans had no use for cleanliness on a daily basis, some rarely ever bathing at all. The stench could be quite miserable in those cases.

Admittedly, she was thoroughly filthy now, but he soon intended to rectify that.

Lying next to a thick, half-burnt candle, Sesshomaru picked up a strip of cloth and a bar of sweet smelling cake soap. He moved up close to her, dipping the cloth and rubbing the soap on it until he deemed it ready. He then held it close to her nose and she inhaled the scent with obvious delight. She moved her hands to take the cloth, but Sesshomaru chuckled seductively. He had no intention of passing up the opportunity to touch every surface of her body, even if he were hindered by the thickness of the cloth.

Kagome could not believe that she was letting him do this. It was so erotic, like a dream she often had, but never dared to follow through. In her dreams, it had always been Inuyasha with her, bathing her lovingly. The reality of which would probably have resulted in him getting 'sat' into oblivion.

No, her silent youkai was nothing like Inuyasha. He was everything confident, yet caring. He was taller than Inuyasha too, and carried himself differently. He moved with the lithe grace of a royal prince and she couldn't help feeling dazzled by his attention.

Who was he?

Kagome shut her mind to the questions and opened herself to his touches. His hands, so much larger than hers, were strong and firm as they gently circled the cloth over her shoulders. He lifted each arm, tending one and then the other, circling each individual finger and between. Each swirl of the somewhat rough cloth left the flesh in its wake hypersensitive. When he came closer to her chest, Kagome could hardly catch a breath. She wasn't sure she could handle such an intimate caress without passing out and making a fool of herself, but she was determined to try.

Kagome closed her eyes, and focused on him ... his touch, his breath, his warmth and nearness--the tickle of his hair swirling in the water around them. When he at last moved the cloth over her breast, pressing his warm palm against her nipple, Kagome felt her world flood with sensation. And then he moved on.

She could tell that he was interested by the way he slowed before finally dragging his thumb over the sensitive button. Obviously, he was trying to be respectful. Kagome appreciated his efforts to make her feel as comfortable with his actions as possible, but the darker side of her nature wanted to kick his chivalry to the curb. She wanted more of his touch.

Sesshomaru was careful not to linger in areas that begged further exploration. He knew that now was not the time. They were both exhausted and hungry, and he intended their first time together to be an unhurried journey of passion. One that he could take in the light of day with her blue eyes aware while his name played on her lips. Here and now, he simply wished to know her. He wanted to trace her body, and familiarize himself with the woman that he cared for so intensely.

Her body was a treasure of delights. He had no doubts that he would enjoy every minute of their union when it came. She was ticklish on her ribs, and the massage of her neck muscles made her groan. Her breasts bobbed in the water, twitching with every movement, and he groaned from the desire to suck them.

He knew, in the back of his mind, that there was much unfinished business ahead of him. War was at hand while wicked enemies needed to be destroyed. Deep in his heart darkness still crept, whispering of things that he would rather forget. Duty, honor, and integrity demanded his attention, but for now, he ignored them all. He closed his mind to the call of retribution and failure, only focusing on the present. Kagome.

Her little breaths and slight moans were driving him to madness. She was incredibly responsive to his touch, and this was merely a bathing ritual. How would she behave as he plumbed her depths with his throbbing organ?

He shifted uncomfortably, aware that he was merely torturing himself by insisting that she allow him to bathe her. Her slick skin was soft and inviting, leaving him wanting so much more than muted touches. Her reactions spoke widely of her acceptance to his advances, and his cock was painfully engorged, begging to burrow inside of her tight, virgin channel.

Once again he repeated the mantra... 'I cannot take her now'.

By the time he found his way to her bottom, he was beginning to lose focus of his resolve. She allowed him to pull the cloth over the swell and he marveled at the firm, round, flesh. He imagined what it would feel like to grasp it in his hands while he entered her from behind. With effort he shook his head, attempting to dislodge the erotic imagery suddenly flooding his mind. Fortunately enough for them both, Kagome took control from there. He was forced to give up the pleasurable task when she spoke.

"I, um, think that I can handle it from here," she murmured shyly while slipping the material from his hands.

Sesshomaru conceded, knowing that she was nervous and unused to such an intimate touch from a male. It pleased him to have been the first to bring her this far, and he intended, one day, to carry her much further than that. It was difficult, because he felt an overwhelming pull to bury himself inside of her body, reassuring them both of their freedom and life. He was not certain if the powerful impulse stemmed from instinct or insanity, but no matter how badly he wanted to, he would not give in.

While he watched her finish what he had started, he bathed himself. The warm waters felt revitalizing to his aching body, and he relished the opportunity to properly scrub his hair. He was not too fond of the sulfuric smell from the onsen, but the heat and healing properties of the natural spring far outweighed that one flaw.

Once they were done, he assisted Kagome in rinsing the residue from her long dark hair, and then she, in turn, aided him.

"You know, I've always been jealous of demons and their long beautiful hair," Kagome said wistfully as she wiggled her fingers through his submerged tresses. "I could take multivitamins till doomsday and my hair still wouldn't grow like that. Inuyasha's older brother, Lord Sesshomaru, has really gorgeous hair. I've always secretly wanted to run my fingers through it."

His first instinct was to growl in jealousy, and that stunned him on many levels for how could he, Sesshomaru, be jealous of himself? Jealously was an emotion quite foreign to him anyway, and he was certain that he did not care for it in the least. It made him want to rip out someone's insides.

Ridiculous.

Kagome, however, had no idea of the odd turmoil that her confession had created. She continued on in ignorance, rinsing his hair until she didn't feel anymore soapy residue. "You couldn't possibly need conditioner in it. I mean, it's so silky smooth." To emphasize her observation she held it toward him then let it slide through her fingers. "You probably haven't ever had a bad hair day in your life."

'Conditioner?' He had no idea what she was talking about. He wanted to ask her - wanted to know so many things, but now was not the time for it. He could not reveal who he really was after coming this far. He refused to have her look down on him in any way.

He had made up his mind before they had ever escaped. As her cellmate, he would remain anonymous to his miko. He would do everything in his power to ensure that his true identity remained a secret.

Sesshomaru had intentions of approaching her in a different way --once he was himself again.

Lord Sesshomaru would make a much more fitting suit.

Could he become that demon again? Would he be able to throw off the weight of his time in degradation and pick up where he had left off? He honestly did not know. He would try though... for Kagome.

The water sluing off of her naked form as they both emerged from the pool mesmerized him. He was aware of her unease with being unclothed in front of him, but it only enhanced the experience. She was as aware of him as he was of her.

Kagome could feel his eyes on her. She knew that he was staring, because the heat of his gaze was burning her alive. She'd had no idea how arousing it could be to have a desirable man totally focused on her nakedness. It did strange things to her insides. Impulsively, she pushed her thighs together, now positive that some of the moisture between them hadn't come from the onsen.

Her breasts literally ached inside, like they were growing heavy, becoming fuller just for him. She had never felt like this coming out of a hot spring before, and she was almost positive that Miroku had peeped at her and Sango more than once. Without a doubt, Miroku did nothing to speed her heart and make her vagina pulse, and the few times that Inuyasha had accidentally seen her naked she'd been so freaked out that she couldn't feel anything except embarrassment. She had hurled everything in reach at him.

This, however, was completely different.

He had been the perfect gentleman, only taking liberties that she allowed even though she knew that he wanted more. She could hear it in each breath, drawn shallow and released hard. To Kagome, it proved what she knew all along in her heart that she could trust him absolutely.

Suddenly, he moved from her side, releasing her arm for only a moment, before returning with something that felt like a towel. Unfortunately, it was lacking all the fluffy absorbency of terry cloth. Ignoring her misgivings, Kagome allowed him to dry her, feeling positively lightheaded when he moved down to her legs. His breath was so close to her to the lips of her pussy that she could feel the heat of it caressing the pink flesh. She thought for sure that he would taste her, was positive that he would press his deft tongue to her cleft, but he did not. He only dried her ankles and then stood up.

She was a little disappointed.

When he tossed the drying sheet away, he returned with her blanket, which he wrapped thoroughly around her. Kagome sighed into the warmth, and snuggled deeper. It felt wonderful to be clean, and now that she was, she realized how tired she felt. Before she could stop it, a yawn broke free and she attempted to cover it politely with her hand. "Sorry," she mumbled against her thumb. "I guess I am still pretty tired from using my powers."

In response he merely slipped his arm around her waist and led her back toward the larger chamber, where he settled her on a sleeping roll that smelled like faded flowers. Faintly, Kagome wondered if it was a woman's bedroll, and if it was, who was she to him? Her body was so tired by then that she didn't bother to dwell on it, instead she closed her eyes and enjoyed the floral scent. Her stomach chose then to growl in a humiliatingly loud tone, but Kagome knew there was nothing here to eat. He would have offered her food already if there were any. So she relaxed while he sat beside her keeping her silent company until she finally fell asleep.

Sesshomaru took one last longing look at her small body curled up on Rin's bed mat. He would like to have joined her there, but he had things to do. First on the list was acquiring a suitable meal, one that would restore his optimum strength. He stood from the edge of the sleeping mat and went to the chest, retrieving the hakama, and slipping them on. It had been long since he had worn clothing and the fabric felt strange and foreign against his body.

Oddly enough, wearing the hakama gave him a sense of security that he had never actually noticed before. Having his body displayed and abused for the pleasure of others had left him feeling exposed in more ways than one. Before his time with Asuza, he had never felt uncomfortable being naked in front of others, but after she used his naked state against him, Sesshomaru began to long for something to cover up with. Getting dressed was like donning a shield, giving him a sense of security - no matter how false it may be.

In the corner of the chest he found a small cloth bag filled with several coins. He took the emergency funds and slipped the strings of the bag through a loop on the waist of his low riding silk pants. While he was out, he intended to purchase a few necessary items. Kagome needed a proper meal, and she also required clothing, although he had no intentions of buying a miko habit. He had a place in mind where he could purchase a kimono for her use and perhaps a pair of sandals to protect her tender feet.

Kagome was resting peacefully, lying on her side with one hand curled beneath her chin. Her onyx tresses were still damp and sticking to the bare skin of her shoulders. While he watched, she pulled the red and yellow blanket up even more snuggly, then released a little sigh of contentment. Long, thick lashes rested gently against her cheeks like small feathers, fluttering occasionally as she dreamed. He hoped that whatever she dreamt, it was sweet.

On the way down the main corridor of the cave system, Sesshomaru intentionally brushed against the wall, leaving a renewed marking of his territory behind. This place belonged to him, and the demons in his lands knew it well. Those who might possibly stray to the subterranean cavern would quickly pick up his scent and leave. No one was foolish enough to invade a demon dog's home, even if that home were temporary.

The only entrances to the cave were nearly impossible for a human to access, so he was confident that Kagome could rest safely while he was away. If all went as planned he should be back in a few hours.

Instead of taking to the falls, Sesshomaru turned down a narrow corridor to the right, which wove around by way of a steep incline. He followed the well-known path until he reached the summit. Between two massive boulders, there was a crack nearly half of his height that opened to a sudden drop off falling nearly straight down and ending over the rushing river leading away from the falls.

With familiarity he took the leap that would take him through the mouth of the cave and down to the opposite side of the raging water. He landed high on an enormous stalk of bamboo, easily grasping the swaying stem with his dulled claws, then leaping silently to another. He made his way through the bamboo forest until it thinned, and then he was forced to take to the ground.

He was still wary of leaving his scent to linger in obvious places, so Sesshomaru quickly took to the high limb of an old birch tree nearing the edge of a deciduous forest that spanned much of his lands. Keeping to the trees, he maneuvered his way toward an area well known for having an abundance of game.

Here he stilled, using his keen sense of smell to pick up any sign of potential prey. There were any number of rabbits and thousands of reptiles. He scented a pair of badgers and a weasel, but all of these were much too small. He needed ...'Ah, that smells promising', he grinned.

The scent of a male Asiatic bear had caught his attention, and Sesshomaru leapt from the limb in pursuit. He found the beast stalking a small spotted deer sleeping unaware in the brush. Sesshomaru quickly went to ground, circled the bear and sliced open the deer's slender throat. It never knew what hit it.

After realizing that Sesshomaru had stolen its unsuspecting meal, the bear raised up on two stout back legs roaring angrily. The more agile youkai predator swiftly leaped to the side, avoiding a swipe from one big paw. With taught, muscular legs, the lethal hunter then leapt upward, intending to complete his kill. Unfortunately, the bear did not die from the first slice of Sesshomaru's claws, and the inu was forced to spin, landing lightly on one foot, then pushing back to repeat the blow.

He cursed the bastards that had clipped his claws, making them blunt. It took a greater effort to slice through its thick hairy hide, causing the slower death of the animal, but soon that would change.

With a heavy thud and a stirring of dust, the writhing bear fell to the ground in a black furry heap.

Dinner was served.

Once he was satiated, the daiyoukai stood tall, already beginning to feel rejuvenated and renewed. He could feel his strength returning in droves, pumping vigorously through his veins with each beat of his powerful heart. He looked down and watched in morbid fascination as his claws began to form, growing thicker, weaving together in a melody of bone superior to anything known to humankind.

His long tendrils of hair began to dance around his calves and thighs, filled with an energy of its own. Even his skin color was changing, becoming more opalescent in the moonless night. Sesshomaru looked up at the ebony sky sprinkled heavily with bright sparkling stars, suddenly thinking of his brother. It was the night of the new moon. How was Inuyasha faring on this night?

While his blood began to strengthen once more with the might of his ancestors, Sesshomaru considered his half-breed, half-brother and their future plight. Kagome would have to be returned to Inuyasha and her home. He did not wish to part from her, but it was unavoidable. There were dangers plaguing his life that could not be ignored, and he refused to pull her into the turmoil. He would be reluctant to put her at risk even if she were at peak health, but in her current handicapped state, it was impossible. He would have to let her go.

For now.

Like Uchuu, Sesshomaru knew that his time for recuperation was limited. Asuza wanted his lands, and she was no doubt attempting to take them with force. She had already boasted that his fortress had fallen beneath her attack, but he refused to consider the implications if that were true. For now, he would simply have to hope that she was lying -- that his fortifications still stood strong.

If Asuza's army had, indeed, taken his keep, then it would take powerful allies to get it back. Without his sword Sesshomaru was reluctant to take on the army by himself, especially if Asuza were amongst them. She alone would be hard enough to face.

With that in mind, Sesshomaru came to a decision. He needed the aid of allies. As much as it pained him, he would seek out Toran of the panther tribe. The felines owed him a boon and he intended to collect.

He was loath to face Toran again. The panther diva was a formidable opponent in any battle, and she came equipped with a keen eye for details. Would she see something different in him? Would she spot the new weakness?

The new weakness of his mind.

It made his fur stand on end to think of it, but he was not an ignorant fool that would dismiss the obvious. His time with Asuza and Iku had maimed him in a way that it might prove difficult to overcome. His enemies would search for anything to use against him. Toran was no different. He could never trust the woman completely. She was a vacillating ally, but he knew her to be honorable to those she owed a debt. He would be forced to confide, somewhat, a portion of his tale in order to draw her into battle, but was there a chance that she would guess the rest?

Unfortunately, he would have to take the risk.

With a snort of irritation, Sesshomaru took to the skies, reveling in his recovered power. The wind against his face felt exquisite, and he grinned. With a flick of his wrist appeared the product of his compressed jaki, the snapping green whip. It was called forth with little thought and maneuvered expertly with the slightest twitch of his wrist. Satisfied, he summoned it on the left, sizzling through the night air and smashing a passing tree to bits.

His claws gleamed ivory in the darkness, once again long sleek and deadly sharp. It was a rush of sensation to once more be at full strength. He felt a familiar sense of invincibility for a time ... until he thought of the battles ahead.

Sesshomaru abruptly came to a halt, hovering high above the forest below, considering his future path. Nothing would ever be the same again. He would always carry the scars of humiliation, no matter how many he killed to regain face.

Slowly, he lowered to the ground, feeling less inflated than before. He turned his head slightly, listening for sounds that were not there. Was he being followed?

He stopped and listened more intently, while sniffing the menagerie of scents upon the wind. There was nothing but insect noises and the occasional call of a night bird. No, nothing unusual was there.

He continued his journey, stopping occasionally just in case. He could not seem to shake the uneasy feeling in his gut that someone was watching, but he knew this was inaccurate. His senses did not lie; there was no one there, yet still his mind worked against him, making the trip much less enjoyable than it could have been.

Strangely relieved to spot his target ahead, Sesshomaru picked up his pace. He was being ridiculous really and even more so, because he realized the fact that nothing was behind him. Asuza was nowhere near this area. He was safe. Everything was fine. As the lights of the first morning torches came into view, Sesshomaru firmly scoffed at his nonsensical concerns. He was behaving irrationally and needed to stop the foolishness now. If entering a human village could inspire a moment of relief, then something was definitely out of place in his psyche.

The acceptance of the fact did nothing to ease his mind. It took an effort to stop looking over his shoulder and continue on. The first ray of light was beginning to break the sky, and he needed to get what he came for and be on his way. Kagome would be awake soon, and he wished to be there so that she would not become frightened.

With the ultimate goal of returning to Kagome firmly set in his mind, Sesshomaru continued on his way. The majority of humans in the village were still sleeping peacefully, but there were a few early rising merchants about. He intentionally skirted around the center, seeking to avoid confrontation if possible. He wanted only to acquire the supplies he needed then he would be on his way.

He had been here before, but it had been many years. The village of Yokaishi had certainly grown since then. There were many more roadside shops and the scent of youkai was everywhere. Obviously, the town held an affinity of sorts for his kind. Oddly enough, that pleased him. Could he, someday, bring Kagome to this place and walk among them hand in hand free from discrimination? He hoped that day would one day come about.

The kimono maker's shop was the biggest in the village. Obviously the professional quality of their work was well recognized. With ease, he jumped the small shallow river near the back of the building and noticed that inside was still completely dark. A second scan revealed that someone was working inside.

Sesshomaru followed the wall until he came to a door, then slid it aside. Strangely, he wondered why the mortal woman would choose to work with not one candle lit - how, in fact, she managed the task at all without assistance from a flame?

Saya was up early, because she simply could not sleep. Besides, she enjoyed getting a jump on the day. No one liked to come in to work so early because the darkness made it impossible for them to see. It didn't bother her though. She could work just as well in the dark as in the light.

A noise behind her drew her attention. It was slight, but she was positive that someone was there. "Who is it?" she asked, thinking for sure it was the head seamstress arriving to begin her day.

"My name does not matter."

Saya sat up straight, dropping the length of silk fibers that she had been twisting into thread. Alarmed, it froze her in place, but she managed to turn toward the strange man's deep voice. "Wh... what do you want?" She managed to say through the lump of concern building in her throat.

Sesshomaru watched the silk spinner's reaction, and found it odd that she did not look at him directly. "You are blind," he questioned flatly, positive of his deduction, yet seeking confirmation.

"Does it matter?" Saya asked defensively. She hated it when people pointed out her handicap as if it made her less of a person.

"Hn." Sesshomaru responded. He saw something in this young woman that he could possibly use. "I have come to purchase a kimono and I need it post haste.

Saya breathed a sigh of relief and jumped up from her pillow on the floor. "My uncle is not here, but I will go awaken him at once."

"No. I would rather you attend my needs."

His insistence made her nervous. Saya wasn't sure that she could trust the man, and she couldn't see his expression. Did he mean her ill? "I... I do not know what you need, your size, or height. I am afraid that I can't..."

"It is not for me. It is for a woman, about your size and height. Find something that you would wear yourself and bring it to me."

His voice was deep and smooth, yet demanding as if he were a nobleman or samurai. She wanted to argue that she did not know the colors, but he left no room for discussion. There was something about him that tickled at her fear, and she wanted very much to get away from him. "Please wait here. I will be right back."

Saya moved through the familiar room with ease, skirting the tables and looms. She took a path she would not normally take in order to avoid the strange man as much as possible. There were three new kimonos' just completed yesterday, but only two that would be small enough to fit her. She had no idea what color they were, only that they felt very elegant and fine.

In the fitting room she went to the stands holding the three and felt the fabrics with care. The one in the middle was larger than the first, so she quickly grabbed the others, cautiously picking up the matching folded obi's nearby. Beneath each one was a pair of tobi socks and geta sandals.

When she entered through the grass mat, she could immediately feel his presence. She gave a shy smile and hurried to the nearest table to lay each item out. She felt her way to the side of it all and waited patiently for the patron to give his answer. Suddenly, she felt him brush by her, yet she never heard him move. Chills raced over her arms and she shivered, but forced her feet to remain.

The first was obviously a kuro tomesode kimono, and since Kagome was unmarried, he immediately dismissed the black based garment and was sure that she would not wish to wear it. The second kimono was lovely and would go beautifully with her skin. Sesshomaru was impressed with the delicate artwork, carefully stitched into a whimsical design. The pale green background was awash with colorful floral in crimson, rosy pink, green, yellow, and other hues. There was an intricate embroidered border in gold around one of the areas, and the lining was awash with peach and powder pink. Accompanying the ensemble was an obi of varying shades of gold with a design of hexagons surrounding a clover like flower. It reminded him of the design of his crest that he wore in shades of red and sometimes blue. Immediately he approved.

"This will be sufficient." He could smell the human's relief. Her nervousness was obvious and the scent of it was thick in the air. He longed to return to the sweet accepting scent of Kagome and quickly hurried the female along. He dropped several coins on the table stating, "This should do." She hurriedly picked them up.

After pulling each one up for a bite to determine authenticity, Saya replied, "Oh, hai, my lord. This is more than enough."

Sesshomaru took that moment to toss another gold coin down. "This one, you may keep for yourself, girl, but I will ask something of you in return."

The girl's nervousness spiked and she took an unsteady step back. "I... I don't understand. What is it that you want?"

"I will bring a woman here later this day and leave her in your care. She is blind as well, and in need of a healer to examine her wounds. She is a miko that has been injured and missing from her home for some time. You will send a runner to the village of Edo and report her whereabouts to its headman. Someone will come to collect her soon afterward."

He really left her no choice by issuing orders instead of asking -- and besides, she could hardly refuse the coin. It was more than she could make spinning silk every minute for three months straight. Saya was wary about the whole thing, but she gave her answer anyway. "Hai, my lord. I will be honored to assist the priestess in any way that I can." She bowed low as she was sure, by his wealth that he was of much higher status than her.

Once he had her answer, he wasted no time in gathering the clothing and exiting the sewing room as quietly as he had entered. Saya released a breath of relief when he was finally gone. Immediately she picked up the gold and hurried out to find her uncle, hoping that he would not be angry that she had sold the garment. The extra amount that the patron left should make up for the delay in delivery to the originally intended customer, but sometimes her uncle's temper got the best of him either way.

She wondered what the miko would be like and why the mysterious man was leaving her in her care. Why would he choose her anyway? Was it because she, too, was blind? He said that she was injured, and Saya wondered how badly? Was that the reason for her blindness? All these questions and more were swimming through her mind. It was too bad that she would have to wait for the answers until he returned later in the day. Saya put aside her puzzled thoughts for now, as she had work to do.

On the way out the door, she slipped the single coin he had given to her deep inside of her sleeve. There was no need for her uncle to know of her good fortune. He would simply take it for himself and gamble it away.  


 

Shippo crept up to the ancient castle now being refurbished by the unknown lord of these lands. Just behind him squatted Rin, peering curiously over his shoulder and giving him a pleasant whiff of her sweet floral scent. It was a refreshing break from the stink of wolves. Ginta and Hakaku were nice enough and eager beyond fault to free Kagome, but Inuyasha was right about their smell. They stunk pretty damn bad.

All four of them - and one small dragon sitting irritatingly atop Rin's shoulder - had traveled fast and hard in order to make it back to the castle in record time. Ginta and Hakaku were in excellent shape, due to running around after Kouga all of the time. Even though their leader no longer had the jewel shards in his legs, he still loved a good run and kept his two favored wolf soldiers high tailing it after him wherever he went. Ah-Un had carried Rin through the sky in order to keep up, and Shippo split the trip by doing a little of both.

Shippo liked to run, increasing his speed a little every day, because one day he wanted to be faster than Inuyasha. The jerk could still whip him in a race, but it wouldn't be for long. He was growing taller and stronger every year, and soon he would leave Inuyasha behind to eat his dust. Afterward, he would probably be forced to fight the big dummy, because Inuyasha couldn't stand to lose. He just hoped Kagome was around to 'sit' him if he got out of hand - which was likely.

"Are you sure that she's still in there?" Rin whispered near his ear, making him shiver in an all too startling way. He cleared his throat from the sudden lump that formed and then answered, "I'm not sure. Her scent was really noticeable when I was here before, but I can't really tell now. It could be from time and weather, or it could be that she has been moved."

"I smell blood," Ginta interjected. "Lot's of it."

Shippo winced at the blunt revelation, but nodded anyway. He hadn't wanted to frighten Rin with that unnerving detail. "I smell it too."

Rin gasped and grasped Shippo's shoulder with worry, "You don't think that Kagome-sama is...." She couldn't finish. The thought was obviously too horrifying to express.

Shippo shook his head sharply. "No. I refuse to believe that something terrible has happened to her."

"How are we going to find out?" Hakaku asked nervously. "Look at them ... soldiers, both humans and demons. There are over a dozen of them that I can see from here, and probably many more out of sight. That's not including the servants. There are so many that I can't count that high."

"You can't count past ten anyway, blockhead," Ginta scolded.

Hakaku growled angrily, but Shippo put an end to their bickering. "Will you guys cut it out? We've got a job to do. Kagome is depending on us."

"How will we ever get to the castle without being spotted? This meadow is huge." Ginta pondered aloud. "This will be tougher than I first thought."

"I have an idea," Rin spoke up.

Shippo, Ginta, and Hakaku turned to look curiously at the human girl. Rin reached up and plucked Shin from his silent perch and brought him down so that she could look at him. "Shin, you can get into the castle without anyone noticing you. You are so small that you could slip by the guards without being detected."

"Oh no... no way," Shin began to protest.

"Yeah," Shippo nodded enthusiastically. "It just might work. You're brilliant Rin!" To which she blushed profusely, making him grin.

"Hold on a minute there fox boy. I haven't agreed to this. I don't even know this 'Kagome' person." Shin shook his long, narrow snout, rejecting the suggestion that he risk his life. He had no intention of leaving Rin's side to go plundering around in places that he didn't belong. "She's your friend. Do some of your oh-so-wondrous magic and go get her yourself."

Ginta fell on his behind, knocking Hakaku off balance to join them in the dead leaves and dirt. They had not been expecting the strange little dragon to talk. It had been silent up until now. "It talks!" They exclaimed in unison.

Shin turned up his nose at the bumbling wolf brothers, refusing to state the obvious. Shippo had to be daft if he thought that he could rely on those two fools to save this female friend that was obviously so important to them all.

"Shin," Rin said sweetly, gaining his attention. Shin turned his head and was met by huge, brown, pleading eyes so beautiful that he could drown in them. Eyes that mesmerized a man's heart while blurring his mind.

"Please... for me?"

Eyes that turned ones brain to mush. "H... hai," Shin stuttered. "For you, Rin."

'Damn!', Shin silently cursed. Did he just agree to go into an enemy stronghold to search for a girl that he didn't even know? Yes. Yes, he did. With a tiny puff that sounded like a strained sigh, Shin flew from Rin's shoulder and hovered in front of Shippo. "Tell me what she looks like."

Shippo thought for a moment and said, "She should be wearing the habit of a Shinto miko, red and white. She's about a head taller than Rin. She has long black hair and dark blue eyes."

"She's really pretty, and very brave," Rin added.

"And she smells really good," Hakaku chimed in.

"Like jasmine after a rain," Ginta finalized.

"Sounds pretty hot," Shin pondered aloud.

Shippo reached up in the blink of an eye and grabbed the dragon from the air. "Listen up pest. Keep your mind on your job, and keep your ass out of sight. Get in there and find Kagome, or I'll be eating spit-roasted dragon for supper tonight."

"Shippo!" Rin fussed. "Let Shin go."

Reluctantly, Shippo released his grip, but not before Shin had his revenge. He snorted hard, sending a singing lick of flame over one finger of the fox paw that had held him.

"Ouch! Why you...."

Rin jumped up and grabbed Shippo by the arm, stopping his attack on the impish little dragon. "Go Shin, and please be careful!"

Shippo growled at the annoying little fiend, but quickly relaxed beneath Rin's close proximity. His anger swiftly shifted to something closer to adoration, and he settled down. He hated it when she finally released him to sit down, but he was appeased when she chose to sit very close to him. He looked up with one more glance toward Shin as he disappeared into the swaying grasses of the meadow. "Kagome... please be safe."  


 

A/N: Sorry folks! I just could not, for the life of me, fit the full lemon in this chapter. Never fear though. I've already posted Chapter 18 and it is just chopped full of lemony goodness. Enjoy!