InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Violation of Honor ❯ Chapter 22 - In the Dark of Night ( Chapter 22 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Violation of Honor

By Rinseternalsoul

**Disclaimer: I can only dream of having the money that Rumiko Takahashi makes off of her anime, Inuyasha. Me? I’m just a non-profit fanfiction author who adores the show and loves to write smut.

 

Chapter 22 - In the Dark of Night

A/N: Thanks to all my readers, though not everyone reviews, I can see from the number of hits that there are hundreds of people out there following my story. Your continued support is an inspiration!

I would also like to thank those of you who have nominated 'Violation of Honor' for the 3rd Qtr. 2007 Inuyasha FanGuild Awards for the following catagories: Best Characterization: Sesshomaru; Best Original Character: Uchuu; and Best Romance: Other. I am tickled pink that you feel the story is worthy of your nominations!

 

And, as always, a BIG thanks to Risa for all the hard work that she does in editing this story!  


 

Hyuuga shook off the spell and turned to his men. "Fight, damn you! Fight for your lives! The bitch must be stopped!"

It unnerved him to have been so helpless. The power of the amulet was nigh unstoppable, and for a moment he had been terrified of what might become of him and his people. Horror! From his own mouth had come the order to stand down, sending his soldiers to their doom.

They decided the masses must never know the terrible truth of Asuza’s mind control power. Widespread panic would be sure to follow. A select few were privy to the frightful secret, but now he regretted not telling his soldiers. Hyuuga regiment’s blind surrender on his word alone laid before him the cruel consequence that his silence wrought.

By the grace of the Kami above, an unlikely savior had scrambled to his aid. Hyuuga turned to the hanyou woman currently scratching and clawing at Asuza. She appeared young and completely inexperienced in battle. Her tactics were crass and feral, but admittedly effective. 'Where did she come from? Who is she?' For now there were no answers, but Hyuuga was indebted to her just the same.

She had saved them all.

He was about to intervene with hopes of striking a deathblow upon Asuza when the bitch suddenly got the upper hand and shoved the girl away. Hyuuga grasped his sword tightly and prepared to put an end to Asuza's wicked reign, but seemingly out of nowhere, a young male soldier dashed between the fighting females. Hyuuga looked on in confusion, for the youkai was dressed in Asuza's colors, but appeared to be against her. 'What the hell is going on?'

Saburo faced Asuza with only one purpose ruling his mind. He had to save the hanyou girl! He had no idea why the compulsion was so strong, but he knew that he could not watch her die.

Asuza glared at her errant young lover. "Why are you protecting that brat? You belong to me! I am your queen!"

Saburo simply shook his head because in truth he was equally confused about his reasons. How could he answer her? In the end, he decided to speak the truth. "Lady Asuza, this female is important to me."

Behind Saburo, Yumiko pushed up from the ground with a pained groan and wiped her thick hair from her eyes. She was as shocked as everyone else that the young guard had chosen to come between her and the wicked female. After all, he should have no memory of their meeting. Her powers were not so advanced to induce an attachment. Why would he risk everything to save her?

"Out of my way, you wretch!" Asuza growled before lunging in fury.

Saburo had no time to counter the move. Asuza did not come at him; she went after the girl. He swung around, leaping over the prone young woman to deflect the blow and quickly felt the pain of Asuza's claws ripping through his back. He shouted in agony, while clutching the fallen girl tightly in his arms.

Asuza cursed and swung again, but this time her claws met the hard steel of Hyuuga's sword. Her eyes radiated a focused malevolence. First the monkey king, and seconds later Saburo as well, fell subject to her control, unable to move.

Unfortunately the feeling of triumph did not last, for the crazed little bitch beneath Saburo pushed from her prone position and attacked her from behind. Asuza hit the dirt hard, ripping the tender skin from her knees and scraping her palms. The impact caused her sharp fangs to pierce her tongue and the coppery-salt tang of blood swelled within her mouth.

The uncouth hanyou was persistent in her attack. She snarled like a wild animal, biting Asuza's shoulder while clawing at her back. She could not focus and once again lost control of Hyuuga. Upon his release from her spell, the male roared with rage, and Asuza began to fear for her life. She could not battle and win with this uncontrollable beastess attempting to rip her throat out every time she gained the upper hand!

Having just evaded certain death, Iku knew when it was time to retreat. Using the crowd's distraction, he moved toward Asuza and her ongoing struggle. It shocked him to see her covered in blood—fighting for her life—and he knew immediately what he had to do. Iku could not stand by and watch his mistress be killed, and by the way it appeared that was quickly becoming a possibility.

Apparently, the half-breed was impervious to the Amulet of Coactum. Asuza had little choice but to fend her off, thus causing the loss of control over the dangerous Hyuuga. It was obvious that her foolish lover, Saburo, had betrayed them as well and among the three of them, Asuza could not hold her own. It was up to Iku to save her.

'Damn!' Hyuuga was unable to follow through with his attack! Asuza—again—stopped him at the critical moment with another controlling command of her will. The battle was touch and go. Each time he thought to destroy Asuza, she managed to thwart him until her distraction grew too great. Everything was happening so quickly that Hyuuga could merely follow through with his previous thoughts instead of formulating another plan. Stop and go, hold and attack. His mind was being used as if it were a child's toy!

Saburo managed to push to his knees, but the pain was so intense that he feared he would soon pass out. Nearby, Asuza and the Yumiko fought while the big warrior king struggled for the perfect moment to strike. Against the anguish of his wounds, Saburo gritted his teeth and tried to move, but his legs were like rocks and the effort was nearly impossible.

He fell forward, and began to scratch his way toward the fighting women. He gripped the dirt beneath his claws. The smell of the girl's blood was beginning to grow potent, and he feared that Asuza would soon succeed in ripping her to shreds. Amazingly, Yumiko seemed oblivious of her wounds and continued to maul the mature youkai with frantic resolve. Each time Asuza managed to push her away, Hyuuga was waiting to deliver a deathblow, but before he could follow through Asuza again took control. Each time the spell was short lived because the furious girl immediately launched another wild attack.

From the corner of his eye, Saburo spotted Iku's approach and feared the worst. Asuza's second in command was ruthless and his attention was focused on the girl attacking his mistress. Saburo called on the last ounce of his strength, flung himself forward, and grasped the Yumiko's ankle. He jerked her from Asuza before Iku could land his strike. From the side, Hyuuga released a furious howl, kicked Asuza hard in the ribs, and then raised his sword and swung. Unbelievably, Iku managed to block the king's sword just before it connected with Asuza's neck. Asuza used the moment to latch again onto Hyuuga's mind, giving Iku enough time to sweep her into his arms.

Iku turned to run, but Saburo saw that there was no hope of escape. The crowd of macaque soldiers was closing in on all of them with swords and claws raised. The frantic onslaught happened in a rush. Saburo was helpless to move to safety, and so he pulled the girl close to his chest in order to protect her from the horde of heavy boots thundering by. During the storm, he was stomped and kicked by the soldiers’ intent on finishing Asuza off, and because of his low vantage point, he finally lost sight of the fleeing pair.

Then, Saburo witnessed the most unexpected thing. Rising above the thrashing soldiers, he saw the flutter of massive, dark blue wings. Even above the battle cries, he could hear the whoosh of air as they took flight. Slowly they rose higher, struggling with obvious effort to lift above the mass of angry monkeys. Damned if Iku hadn't managed to transform despite his injuries, and with each pulse of his wings, he lifted Asuza further from harm.

Saburo shook his head in frustration, accepting with regret that the two of them would escape. Although it was a betrayal, he had hoped that Lord Hyuuga would stop them, thus fully securing the future safety of the woman in his arms.

He looked down finding a huge pair of grateful emerald eyes staring back at him. The uncertainty and beauty of them were enough to keep him conscious long enough to say, "My name is Saburo. You are so beautiful and brave. I must know your name."

Yumiko was bleeding all over and her body was in terrible pain. It was a small price to pay for saving her father and the village. The monkey king was alive and the enemy fleeing. At the moment, her heart was beating so fast that she felt dizzy, but strangely the warmth of the male's embrace made her feel safe. 'Saburo'. For the second time today, she looked into his eyes, but this time, she had no intention of washing his memory away. She was not sure why her hypnosis had not fully succeeded with him, but she was extremely fortunate that it had not.

He smiled at her, though he was obviously in terrible pain, and Yumiko managed to shyly return the gesture. Even his voice was rough with agony, and she felt her heart clench for his suffering. He wanted to know her name, and she discovered that she was happy to give it.

"I am called Yumiko."

++++

Their flight was short lived. Iku could feel the wretched wound from the miko's attack ripping with each flap of his wing. The area burned like the fires of hell nearly bringing tears to his eyes. It was an effort to fight off the inevitable decline in altitude for as long as he could, but nothing could stop their eventual decent.

He cradled Asuza gently in his talons and when she moaned, he looked down. She appeared so small and fragile. During the fight, her furs had been ripped from her body and she was shivering from the cold. Her entire body was covered in slick, dripping blood. She was limp in his grasp and he took extra precaution so that he did not injure her further. It was true that her youkai blood would heal her soon, but for now, she needed a warm place to rest.

The searing pain in his wing was growing intense and there was little that he could do but land. With a move perfected through the ages, he tossed Asuza up, transformed, and caught her in his arms before landing squarely on his feet. He looked around, wary that they had been followed, and then they quickly headed for a dense copse of trees.

Asuza stirred in his arms and he watched her lovely crimson eyes fluttered open.

"What are you doing?"

Iku grunted with sardonic humor. "Escaping our deaths."

Asuza sighed and her head lolled to the side. "I hate losing."

Iku nodded in agreement. "As do I."

"We shall get our revenge, Iku."

He did not reply straight away. At this point he was not so sure they would live to see that day. Revenge was sweet, but failure was a bitch. Unfortunately, his mistress was unlikely to give up her heart’s desire, and he did not have a heart at all. Iku knew that he would follow her wherever she chose to lead them.

Even if it was to hell.

Iku pulled her close and replied, "Aye…that we will."

++++

Hyuuga found his brother lying on the ground and staring up at the sky. Had his eyes not been open with the occasional blinking of thick lashes, he might have though him dead.

"Uchuu, you are wounded."

Uchuu grunted. "No shit."

Hyuuga ignored the less than respectable reply and kneeled down by his side. "How bad is it?"

"Well, it hurts like a talon has ripped through my intestines."

"Hn, obviously because it is true."

Uchuu took a resigned breath that caused a groan of pain. "Hurt like hell."

"You will live."

"Hai, I'll live. Try not to get all emotional on me, will ya?"

"Your sarcasm is less than refreshing, brother."

"Fuck it," Uchuu grunted as he attempted to sit up. "I guess the bitch got away?"

Hyuuga stood and turned toward the southern sky. "Her minion saved her. They flew away."

Uchuu released a string of curses that would burn a seafaring youkai's ears. Hyuuga gave a reluctant grin and said, "I believe that you will be just fine."

Umito approached and greeted them both. He examined his young brother's wound, then stepped back. "Damn, you are mess, and to think, you always said you were better looking than me."

Uchuu groaned and clasped his hand over his stomach. "You ass. Even now I look better than you."

Hyuuga broke up their banter. "Who is the girl?"

Umito shrugged. "I have no idea. She came out of nowhere it seems."

"Is the soldier who protected her still alive?"

Umito grunted. "Barely. Asuza nicked his spine, but I believe he will heal."

"Take them both into custody. I want answers."

Umito was used to his brother's haughty arrogance and replied in kind. "It is done."

Hyuuga looked around at the blood and devastation. The human village had sustained considerable damage, but his clan's swift intervention saved the majority of lives. His soldiers were clearly the superior fighters, for the number of enemy dead was vast compared to their few. It was a good battle. If only he had managed to kill Asuza.

He shook his head in disappointment and flicked his long tail. "Come Umito, let us get our injured brother home. The hour grows late and I should like to spend a quiet evening with my wives."

Umito was not sure how anyone could consider an evening with sixteen wives quiet, but Hyuuga was unlike Uchuu and himself. Personally, he would be happy with a simple visit to his one mistress and maybe a barrel of wine.

"Uchuu, I do not suppose you will be seeking the pleasures of your woman this night," Umito teased as he and Hyuuga assisted him to his feet.

Uchuu groaned both from pain and from longing. The thought of Sumiho was like a branding iron to his heart. He had not seen her in an eternity it seemed. Sadly, he was afraid to even seek her out. What would she think when she saw him?

Hyuuga chuckled. "It appears that our brother is in no condition to play the rogue prince this eve." Then he added, "Perhaps, your Sumiho will be content to attend your sick bed."

Uchuu was fading in and out through the agony of standing, but Hyuuga's comment gave him pause. He looked up to his elder brother, forcing the motion rather than passing out. "What do you mean?"

Hyuuga chuckled. "Did I not tell you? Your woman is under my protection and presently staying within our clan."

'Sumiho!' Uchuu's heart lurched with an eagerness that nearly rivaled his fear.  


 

Kagome was a little apprehensive about her stay, although Saya was wonderful. They started the day with introductions to Saya’s cousins who sewed the beautiful kimonos. She had also escorted Kagome through the pathways and various buildings where the different processes took place. The whole time Saya was patient and kind, and as Kagome discovered, full of good humor.

She decided that she liked Saya very much.

It was only when Kagome was introduced to Saya's uncle that things became a little tense.

"What are you doing, Saya? Who is this girl and why is she wearing that kimono?"

"Uncle, this is Kagome-sama. She is a miko from the village of Edo and she is visiting with us for a short while."

His somewhat rude grunt was not very encouraging.

"And the kimono? Surely a mere priestess cannot afford to wear one of my designs? How dare you allow this peasant to wear one of our finest works of art!"

Kagome's eyes widened in shock. The man was being very rude!

"No, uncle, you do not understand. Her benefactor purchased the kimono that she wears. Remember that I paid you several days ago with his gold?"

Kagome could hear the plea in Saya's voice, and she was tempted to speak up and put the hateful old man in his place. Unfortunately, she was his guest, and good manners would not allow her to say anything... yet.

Another grunt, nearly as insulting as the last, followed Saya's explanation. He certainly didn't offer an apology and Kagome was beginning to see why Saya said that she had been happy here before her father died. Maybe the death of her father wasn't the only thing that left her unhappy. Could Saya's uncle be treating her badly?

"Fine then," the old man grouched. "Visitor or no, you are wasting my time! Get back to work or there will be no supper for you or your guest on this night. And Saya, find something for the blind miko to do while she is here. I'll not be feeding her for free. She'll earn her keep or she will go!"

"Why you – " Kagome began to protest, but Saya quickly clamped a hand over her mouth stopping her from saying anything else.

"Yes, uncle. Right away," Saya replied.

Once the old man's footsteps disappeared, Kagome turned to Saya. "What did you do that for? He was just being mean! Not to mention rude!"

"Shh, Kagome-sama. Please, you mustn't make trouble. My uncle is not a well man."

"What do you mean? Is he sick? He sounded fine to me, if not overly grumpy."

"It is the wine that makes him so—his love of drink. Could you not smell it?"

Once Saya mentioned it, Kagome took more notice. "Yes, I did smell it. I guess I just didn't notice it before."

"When you are blind, Kagome-sama, you must use those senses that are available to you. Smell is very important, hearing as well. You cannot see the beautiful colors of the kimono that you are wearing, but you can touch the intricate designs that were carefully sewn by our best embroidery artist. You can feel the thick, smooth quality of the silk and still know that the kimono is fine."

Kagome considered her words carefully. Since she lost her eyesight, she had grown more aware of the sounds around her and used her sense of touch many times to guide her way. "Yes, I understand. But, Saya, why does he treat you like that?"

"My uncle allows the drink and gambling to rule him. His temper often gets the better of him I'm afraid. It is not wise to push him, for sometimes he strikes out without thinking first."

"You mean he hits you?" It was not uncommon in the world, in modern times or the past, but for some reason, it struck her as excessively cruel that the man would strike a sweet girl like Saya who could not even see.

"Nnn," Saya murmured, but did not actually answer. She then promptly changed the subject. "Come with me Kagome-sama, and I will teach you how to spin silk."

Kagome allowed Saya to take her arm and lead her back into the noisy sewing room, but her mind was busy thinking of her new friend and how brave she was. She hoped to get to know her much better during her stay. It was true that Kagome still longed to be reunited with her friends, but it seemed like Saya may need a friend too.

That night, she lay awake on the sleeping mat and stared blankly into the darkness. When would her eyesight return? How much longer would she have to wait? She missed Inuyasha, too, and wondered if Sango, Miroku, and Kirara were safe. The last image that she had of Shippo flashed across her mind, causing her stomach to lurch with the reminder of his pain. He had looked so young and helpless lying on the forest floor, injured and unconscious. Was he dead? Gods, she hoped not. It would be even worse than losing her younger brother. It would be like... losing a son.

Though Saya had effectively kept her busy throughout the day, she could not stop the worry lingering in the back of her mind. Her thoughts drifted to her silent youkai, and she felt the increasingly familiar pain of his loss. Was he fighting today? Was he hurt? Did he miss her?

She pushed back the urge to cry her eyes out and took a deep steadying breath. She had to keep it together. Giving into her misery was a luxury that she could not afford. She was still in a strange place with strange people, and though Saya was very nice, Kagome could not trust the girl's uncle. At any given time, he could throw her out, and then where would she go?

'Please Inuyasha, please come for me soon. I want to go home.'  


 

Sesshomaru stood on his balcony staring out into the night. In the distance, he could hear the sounds of workers busily repairing the considerable damage done to the eastern portion of the great wall. He had ordered a crew to begin immediate repairs that would continue around the clock until the task was done. He did not trust that Asuza would not take advantage of the breach in his security and launch another attack.

He had also ordered several expert sharpshooters stationed atop the towers as lookouts for any sign of flying beasts. With Iku at Asuza's disposal, he wanted to make sure that nothing dropped in on him unexpectedly.

Everything was being done to ensure the safety of his people and himself. Still... he was uneasy. He felt... vulnerable—and he did not like it.

A short meeting with Jaken had brought him up to speed, and the report was not at all favorable. The loss to his forces had been considerable, leaving only a handful of capable men to defend the stronghold. It was staggering to learn of the deaths of so many that were in his care. The mourning of their mates and young was thick in the evening air giving his regret a solid foundation.

He grieved as well.

Kagome.

Where was his miko on this night? Was she still sequestered in the village of Yokaishi? Or had Inuyasha already retrieved her? He hated not knowing. He wanted to be privileged to her every move. The possessiveness that he felt was staggering in its intensity, driving him to distraction even now. He would like nothing more than to leave his home—his people—behind and tear across the countryside in search of her. It was an impossible impulse at the moment. There was too much to do.

His leadership was needed to rebuild and re-establish his dominance. His enemies would see this period as a weakness and he had to stay and defend his realm. The need for new soldiers was as paramount as the reinforcement of the barrier wall. These things would take some time and he could not abandon them to go off in search of his female. Besides, bringing Kagome home now would be disastrous.

His people were mourning the loss of those they loved as well as the security that they had become accustomed. If he suddenly brought home a mortal woman to be his mate, he would invite dissention and distrust. They would certainly think that he had been negligent in his duties toward their protection, while off carousing with a human—especially since his very own father had once committed the crime.

No. He could not risk retrieving Kagome now. He would have to be patient. Soon enough things would settle down and then he would seek her out.

With a heavy sigh, he turned away from the foggy view of his courtyard and retreated within his chambers.

The room was large with high ceilings and pale wooden floors. There were several wall hangings. Traditional Japanese style from earlier periods as well as sculptures meticulously hand crafted by the most talented artists. He had spent many hours of his life standing in front of these beautiful works of art, but tonight he passed by them. Sesshomaru's interest, at the moment, was a piece of his most cherished collection—a finely detailed bronze hawk sitting high upon a lone tree branch. Each feather was intricately inlaid into the precious metal, and the head carved so magnificently that one almost expected it to snap its sharp beak before fluttering its wings and flying off.

Sesshomaru stood quietly staring at the image and appreciating the varied details as well as the time that it had taken to achieve such perfection. His admiration ended when he reached out and melted it into a puddle. He could no more stand to look at it than he cared to share space with Iku.

Ignoring the stench of melting bronze mingling with Dakkasou, Sesshomaru turned to his bed. Situated on the far side of his chamber, it was a room all on its own. Two steps lead up to the raised dais. Silk screen sliding doors adorned with a delicate depiction of demon dogs frolicking in the sky separated the sleeping area from the rest of the room. The servants had opened the doors earlier, and he could see his large, low-lying bed within.

Oddly, it did not appeal to him as the thought of it had earlier in the evening.

He crossed his chamber and stood before the first step. It was a place that he had trodden thousands of times before, yet now he was hesitant. His heart began to beat an increased pace. He felt agitated—lightheaded. He forced himself to take the first step. Why was he feeling this way? It was his bed—his refuge. Why was he suddenly becoming ill?

The first step did not decrease his feelings of panic; unreasonably, it seemed to strengthen the emotion. Something about the raised state of his sleeping area was causing him to feel like the walls were closing in on him. Sesshomaru was a fighter though, and he refused to give in to the irrational feelings welling up inside of him. He took the second step. His breath began to shorten and he noticed that his hands were trembling ever so slightly.

"Ridiculous," he growled, and stepped up onto the familiar platform. He moved swiftly, removing his white sleeping robe, allowing it to slide down his body to the floor. Before he could change his mind, he sat down on the soft bedding. Although he was only a hands length from the floor, it felt as if he were teetering on the highest precipice.

After taking a deep breath, he tried to steady his nerves. It was his bed! It was his chamber! These emotions were useless and entirely preposterous. He was a demon lord. One that had just hours previously decimated hundreds of enemy soldiers with ease. To panic over lying on his very own bed was unacceptable. He was acting like a child.

Sesshomaru forced down the bile rising in his throat and lay back. He forced his eyes to close, but the ceiling continued to spin furiously in his mind. When he finally opened his eyes, he realized that he was gripping his silk bedding so strenuously that his claws had shredded the material. It was insane, yet he could not seem to convince his body and mind to let go of his anxieties to relax.

The struggle was useless, and at last, he rose. Sesshomaru snatched up the fur covering and took the steps all at once. Immediately his pulse began to slow and his breathing returned to normal. He turned a bit to look back at his bed, and again the feeling of unease stirred deep in his belly. Why?

Once he was calmed, he began to consider the strange reaction in more detail. With reluctance, he allowed the memories of his time with Asuza to come. He was in her chamber and staring up at her leering face while she reclined sensually upon her huge, high bed. A bed that one can only reach by taking several steps up.

Could that be it? Was that the reason for the feelings of panic?

Strangely, knowing the reason behind his odd behavior did not lessen the irrational feelings raging inside. Knowing that he was being ridiculous did not help him get beyond the emotion. With resigned acceptance, Sesshomaru abandoned his quest to seek his bed. He went to the trunk placed against one wall and pulled out a spare sleeping mat. After rolling it out in front of the archway leading out to the balcony, he settled down and fell into a fitful sleep filled with desperate attempts to unite with an illusive Kagome.  


 

Kagome awoke to find something very irritating tapping against her shoulder. She groaned and attempted to push it away. "Go away Boyou!" The family cat could be a real pain in the backside sometimes.

A giggle alerted her to the fact that Boyou was, in fact, Saya. Her mind was clearing quickly and she realized that she was not back in her time with her family. It was at once a sad and depressing knowledge to accept that she had merely been dreaming. She wasn't sleeping in her high comfy bed on an overstuffed mattress with the air conditioning set to low. No, she was sleeping on a hard mat in a freezing room that had no heat.

With a sigh followed by a yawn, Kagome pulled herself up. "Good morning, Saya."

"Ohoyou, Kagome-sama," Saya replied. "I am sorry to wake you, but we must get down to break our fast before all of the food is gone."

At the mention of food, Kagome's stomach rumbled and she slapped her hand over it in embarrassment.

Saya laughed and said, "By the sounds of your empty stomach, I should think we have no time to lose."

"Ha. Ha. Very funny, Saya-chan," Kagome grumbled jokingly. "I guess I could use some food. Just give me a minute to freshen up." Saya chatted on about what the cook had prepared for them while Kagome busied herself washing up using the bowls of water in the corner of the room. After scrubbing over her teeth with her makeshift toothbrush and splashing some fresh water over her face, she felt refreshed and ready to face the day.

Kagome followed Saya out of their room while Saya explained the importance of counting the number of steps it takes from the doorway to the dining hall. "Then you can find your own way in case I am not around."

Kagome was very interested in learning all she could in order to function on her own. She fully intended to regain her eyesight, but she hated feeling helpless in the meantime. "Is that how you get around so easily, Saya?"

"Oh yes," Saya answered. "It is the only way, although you must remember to feel for corners and steps. For me, there are eighty-two steps from my doorway to the dining hall. At step thirty-five, there is a corner to the left, and at fifty-six, I know to be careful because there are two downward steps. Believe me, I have fallen face first down those two steps enough times to remember where they are." She then laughed at her own clumsiness.

Kagome chuckled a little uneasily. Saya did not seem to feel embarrassment over her failings, but she had to wonder if that were always the case. She could imagine a young Saya, full of frustrations, stumbling around in a dark world. It must have been very hard for her to build the confidence that she has now.

At step fifty-six, Kagome and Saya slowed. Carefully, she stepped out and felt the floor disappear. Together they took the two steps and soon they could smell the delightful aroma of cooked food.

The morning was spent hard at work. Kagome spent most of her time helping Saya retrieve bundles of un-spun silk. She practiced on the spare spinning wheel, but her efforts were hardly as fine as what Saya produced. The chatting of the other girls busily sewing in the background helped to pass the day pleasantly. Before she knew it, the mid-day meal was being served.  


 

"This Hyuuga will ask the questions, and you will provide the answers. Understood?"

Saburo lay on a mat within the medical ward of his recent enemy as the king of the monkey clan glared dangerously over his wounded body. He was still unable to walk, but his youkai blood was steadily repairing the damage to his spine. Unfortunately, he was not at all sure that it would make a difference. Dying whether standing or lying down, the result was the same.

"Hai," Saburo replied to the arrogant king.

The first question was simple enough. "Who are you?"

"I am newly enlisted in the army of Lady Asuza. My name is Saburo."

The monkey king considered him for a moment before continuing. The next question, though simple to answer, did not seem to be of much importance. Saburo wondered where this was leading.

"Why did you join Asuza's army?"

Saburo was somewhat embarrassed for his reasons, but the answer was easy to produce. "My family is very poor. My father was killed nearly one year ago, and my mother and younger sisters are starving. When my youngest sister was caught stealing food from a vendor's wagon, I decided that I had to do something to provide for them. Asuza was openly searching for soldiers for her army and I joined without a second thought."

He hoped that the macaque appreciated his honesty, for it took much for him to admit his shortcomings. He had been negligent of his family's plight for far too long. He had been too busy flirting with the ladies and enjoying the single life to notice how his family was suffering during his absence.

Now that the enemy had captured him, Saburo feared for the fate of his mother and sisters. He hated to think that his sweet young siblings might be forced to turn to a life of crime in order to feed themselves.

Hyuuga grunted and turned away. He took two steps and then swung back around. "Why did you turn against Asuza?"

This particular question was not easy at all. Saburo took in a deep breath that was tainted by the smells of medicinal herbs. How was he to answer this question when he was uncertain of the reasons himself? Deciding that honesty was the best policy, in this case, he replied, "To be truthful, highness, I am not at all sure. I was injured before the battle even began and when I awoke, it was in full progression. When I spotted the hanyou girl, Yumiko, running toward Asuza, my heart nearly stalled."

Hyuuga noticed the way Saburo said the girl's name. It was filled with reverence and admiration.

"As far as I know, I had never met Yumiko before, but there was something about her that called out to me. I have spent some time with Asuza and I know her to be dangerous and unforgiving. Simply put, my lord, I feared for her life should she’d reached Asuza." Saburo chuckled a bit, then groaned from the pain. "I never expected her to fight so fiercely. She was quite the little hellcat."

Hyuuga grunted in agreement, but quickly continued his questioning. "You switched loyalties in the midst of battle. Do you often betray those you have sworn allegiance to?"

Saburo felt a spike of anger at the king's implications. He stiffened and tried to sit up, but the effort only caused him terrible pain. His answer was given with a sharp tongue. "No! I am as loyal a youkai as you will ever know." His voice faltered and he gave a defeated sigh. "I will admit that I may have made a mistake in joining Asuza's army. She is a beautiful woman and the money she offered for joining was fair. Perhaps, I did not look as closely into her cause as I should have.

"Still, I intended to live up to my end of our bargain. In fact, she had taken a special interest in me recently." His voice trailed off as he began to feel shame for his actions where once there was pride. "She has an air of authority and with her sensual nature blinded me to her less than honorable character. I should have been more careful of who I pledged myself to."

Hyuuga fully agreed, but held his tongue. He was not through with Saburo just yet. "You turned on Asuza, and aided Yumiko, a hanyou girl that you had never met before. What makes you think that you have not again sided with an evil entity?"

Saburo glared at Hyuuga, resenting the fact that he would imply Yumiko was evil. He could tell when he held her close and looked into her glorious emerald eyes that there was not a sinister bone in her lovely body. "Yumiko is not evil. She saved your ass!" Realizing that yelling at the king of macaques was not going to aid his plight, Saburo regained control of his emotions. "I will admit that I did not know of Asuza's wretched bent for torture and mayhem against innocents until I saw the devastation she brought upon the human village. I cannot explain my feelings for Yumiko, but I know she is good. Asuza would have killed her, and I could not allow her to. If Asuza were an enemy of Yumiko, then she was my enemy as well."

Hyuuga nodded, but offered no further comment or questions. He instead turned and left Saburo to his thoughts.

Down the hall, Hyuuga stepped into a room inhabited by the mysterious young woman, Yumiko. She was sitting by the fire and drinking slowly from a cup of herbal tea. Upon his entrance, she was startled, but quick to place the delicate cup down before offering an obviously pained curtsy.

Hyuuga waved her efforts away and came closer. "How are your wounds faring?"

Yumiko attempted a smile, but even that seemed to hurt. "Much better, my lord. I am sure that I will be as good as new within hours."

"Excellent," Hyuuga replied. "Have a seat, young lady, as I wish to speak to you."

Yumiko slowly lowered her aching body back onto the cushion that she had inhabited before his entrance. Hyuuga stepped over to the fireplace and perched himself upon the edge of the hearth. "Tell me, Yumiko, where are you from?"

"I live with my human father in the village."

"Ah, so you attacked Asuza out of loyalty to your village."

"In part, my lord. I will admit that I feared for my father and the lives of the villagers should the one called Asuza achieve victory. When I saw what she was doing to you... well, I could see how dangerous she really was." She looked up to meet his gaze. Suddenly she was unsure of how much she should reveal. Would the king see her power as a threat? Would he kill her if she revealed the truth?

Hyuuga could tell that there was something she was wary of sharing, but he did not wish to frighten her, so he did not push. Instead, he asked, "Were you not afraid of Asuza? Her amulet has terrible power over the mind, yet you seemed unaffected. Why do you suppose that is?" Unexpectedly, the wary look turned more pronounced and Hyuuga suspected that her concern was related to her ability to resist Asuza's control.

Yumiko swallowed the lump that had lodged painfully in her throat. She had to tell him. Could she trust him not to kill her for it? Kami, she hoped so. After taking a deep breath, she revealed her secret. "I believe that Asuza's ability to control minds failed on me because I have the same ability."

Lord Hyuuga visibly stiffened and his eyes grew wide. He felt the inexplicably urge to back away from her, but he forced himself to stand his ground. "You can control the minds of others?"

Yumiko sighed before nodding in response. "Hai. It is how I help protect the village. You see, when Asuza first entered the village to view the secret opening to the land of the macaques, she left a soldier to guard the opening until she returned with the rest of her soldiers. The soldier that she left behind was the one called Saburo. I was told to gain his attention and then hold him enthrall while the village runner slipped through the opening to deliver a warning to your clan of Asuza's approach.

My abilities are far less than those of Asuza, however. I can only enthrall one person at a time, and I merely cause him to become unmoving until I release my hold. I can then rub his memory clean of our encounter leaving him unaware that he was ever in my presence. I cannot make the one I control perform acts against their will. When I saw that Asuza had this power and was using it against you, I realized how dangerous she was to all of us.

I did not think further; I attacked her. Even then, I did not know if her power would control me as well. Even I was surprised when her power did not work on me. I used the advantage to try and kill her, but my efforts were useless. I am unskilled in battle."

Hyuuga took a deep solid breath, feeling somewhat relieved that Yumiko's powers were limited thus. Still, it was somewhat unnerving to realize her power to mesmerize and erase memories. Oddly enough, that very power must have counteracted the amulet worn around Asuza's neck. Had Yumiko not owned such power, they might all have been dead now.

"You are a brave, girl, Yumiko. You have my gratitude, as well as that of my clan." He stood and nodded to her before walking to the door. Her soft voice stopped him as he reached the threshold.

"Sire?"

"Yes?" He turned back.

"What has become of the soldier, Saburo? I feel that...well, I feel that he is not a bad youkai. I would plead that your highness takes his actions in saving me into consideration before issuing punishment."

Hyuuga lifted his chin slightly and regarded the strange girl. She was very brave, and he admired her spirit and loyalty. "The fate of Saburo is yet undecided. He began as an enemy to my clan, though his loyalty seemed to shift during the battle. Rest assured that the final judgment will be a fair one."

Knowing that she could ask no more than that, Yumiko bowed deeply. "Doomo Arigato, Your Highness."  


 

Kagome was tired, but satisfied that she had earned her keep under Saya's uncle's roof. The day went smoothly and the evening was met with relief to be free of work for a while. Her fingers were a little sore from the constant handling of silk threads. Obviously, it would be some time before she built up a callous on the tips of her fingers like Saya, but if all went well, she would not be here long enough for that to happen.

"Come on, Kagome-sama."

Kagome glanced over to Saya with a smile on her face. It was amazing how much of her eyesight had returned. It was still foggy and nearly impossible to make out details, but the dark forms were beginning to become more defined. Even now in the dim light of the hallway, she could see Saya's long hair trailing out behind her. The color was impossible to make out for it blended with the rest of her form, but the fact that she could discern the difference between hair and body from a distance was a great improvement. "I'm coming Saya-chan."

They were heading out to a place near the forest where Saya loved to bathe. Saya said that the pool of water was joined with a tributary that was fed by a hot spring, so the water was not hot, but pleasantly warm just the same. "Are you sure this is safe?"

Saya stopped to wait for her to catch up. "Of course it is. I go there all the time. You are going to love it."

"I can't wait," Kagome said happily and scurried to catch up. Together they slid out the back door and from there Saya took her hand to help her find her way on the unfamiliar path. They went over the bridge that arced above the small river where the kimonos were rinsed, then they took a smooth trail until they turned off and began following a less traveled path.

"I can hardly believe how easily you find your way, Saya. Aren't you afraid you might run into something dangerous?"

Saya just laughed at that. "If I were always too afraid to go anywhere then my life would be nothing. It is dark for me no matter where I go, so I must always take the chance in order to live. Besides, I have frequently traveled this path. No one comes here this late except me because I am not afraid of the darkness."

Kagome wasn't quite so comfortable with the idea, but she trusted Saya to know the area. They followed a winding path while Saya reached out occasionally to feel for particular landmarks such as small trees and large boulders. The incline finally evened out and the sounds of trickling water grew louder with each step.

When they reached the pool, Saya said, "Let's undress and get in."

"Are you sure, Saya? I mean, what if someone sees us?"

"Trust me Kagome-sama. I have bathed here hundreds of times and no one ever bothers me. It is safe enough."

With Saya's reassurance, Kagome shrugged and began to strip out of her kimono. Saya had to help her a couple of times with the many ties and the intricate obi, but soon she was bare and following Saya into the pool.

"Oh, the water feels nice!" Kagome exclaimed happily. "It isn't hot, but just warm enough to make it enjoyable. You were right, Saya-chan. Thank you for bringing me."

"You are welcome Kagome-sama. Hold out your hand and I will give you the soap."

Kagome took the rough bar and held it to her nose. "It smells like honeysuckle. Where did you get it?"

"Madam Seto makes it, but she does not sell it to just anyone. She always saves a bar for me because she knows how much I love it."

"She seems to be very nice," Kagome replied. "Although she scared me a little with her odd way of seeing things."

"Hai. The Sight can be very frightening at times. It is a great responsibility to hold and it makes her life difficult at times. Not everyone sees the ability in a positive light. Some people think that she is evil because of it, but I don't."

"I don't think that she is evil. I didn't sense it when I spoke with her. I think that her gift is just misunderstood."

"That is very kind of you. Your good nature is probably why she took a special interest in you."

"Hm... you think so?" Kagome asked as she soaped up her thick hair. She needed a haircut desperately, but getting a decent trim in the feudal era had proven to be a challenge. She was beginning to understand why so many women wore their hair so long.

"Oh yes," Saya replied before dunking beneath the water to rinse. Kagome followed suit, holding her breath while she shook out her hair beneath the surface. When she came up for air, she was hit with a sense that she could not ignore. She turned toward the shore opposite from where they entered the pool and glared into the darkness. "Who's there?"

Immediately Saya sank into the water hiding her breasts. "Do you hear something," she whispered in a worried tone.

"No, I don't hear them, but they are there."

"How can you tell? Can you see them?"

Kagome looked over the rocky landscape that blended with various bushes and trees. Everything held a distinct darkness against a slightly lighter background. She could not make out the individual shapes at all. "No, I can't make out a thing, but trust me, we are not alone."

No one answered her demand and Kagome quickly lost patience. "I know you are out there, demons."

Saya gasped in fright. "Demons? Are you sure Kagome?"

"I'd bet my life on it," she replied angrily. "There are at least two of them." Then as a taunt, she added a little loudly, "Though they are not strong."

Her ploy worked to lure them out.

"Be careful woman, how you speak to us. You might consider the fact that you are alone and helpless out here."

Kagome looked toward the sound and squinted her eyes. Against the lighter sky, she spotted shadowed movement before a shape was revealed high up on a pile of boulders. Another dark shape appeared at the side of the first, but thankfully that seemed to be all. At least she knew where they were now, but that hardly made her feel any better.

"Why are you here?" Kagome snapped. "Haven't you ever heard of privacy?"

The one that spoke first laughed then he said. "Of course we have heard of privacy woman. We are enjoying the privacy of this pool right now. As to why we are here, well, we are here to enjoy the view." His friend joined him in a chuckle, but Kagome failed to find the humor.

Close by her side, Saya was shivering with unease. She was obviously feeling vulnerable right now and that only made Kagome angrier to know that those two idiots had ruined her friend's confident enjoyment of her swimming pond. Saya would never again be able to bathe here in peace. In fact, that made her further question the presence of the two youkai. "This isn't the first time you've been here, is it?"

The one who had been silent until now grunted humorously and said, "Hardly. The view here is rather enjoyable in the evenings."

"Oh no," Saya gasped. "You mean, they have watched me before?"

"You perverts!" Kagome growled angrily. Her temper was getting the better of her now. To think that the demons had taken advantage of Saya's blindness to enjoy a free peep show! Despicable—even worse than something Miroku would do! "Get lost, before I make you regret you ever laid eyes on me!"

"Oh ho ho, listen to the little lady giving orders," the first youkai taunted. "Those are big words for a naked woman in the middle of a shallow pond."

Suddenly the outline of his image was gone. The second youkai was quick to follow. Kagome took a step back and looked from side to side frantically searching for any sign of them. She could feel their presence, but she couldn't distinguish a particular location.

"You are both beautiful women. Why don't you let us join you?"

'To the right!' Kagome swung her body in that direction, careful to keep her breasts hidden below the water. They were much closer now, in fact, she could hear the splash of water as one of them leaned down to test the warmth.

"I'm warning you, come any closer and you will regret it!"

"Kagome-sama, I am afraid. What are we going to do?"

Kagome reached out and touched Saya's arm then felt for her hand. She gave a reassuring squeeze and leaned over to whisper, "Don't worry, Saya. I've got a few tricks up my sleeve."

Through her obvious fright, Saya managed to giggle. "But Kagome, you are as naked as I am."

Kagome chuckled lightly and released her hand. "I know, just stay behind me and you will be safe."

"The water feels wonderful. I believe my friend and I will join you after all. Won't you ladies welcome us for a swim?"

"Hardly," Kagome warned. "For the last time, if you value your lives, you will leave us in peace!"

"She's a feisty one. I believe that I will keep her for myself. You can have the other one. She's pretty, but a little too quiet for my tastes." His friend laughed then agreed. Kagome was tired of playing their games. This was quickly getting out of hand.

"Fine," Kagome snarled in a voice that had frightened Inuyasha and Miroku often enough. "You asked for it." Abandoning her modesty, she stood to her full height. The water sluiced off her naked breasts and the cool night air pinched her nipples into tight little beads. She paid it no heed as she lifted her hands and concentrated on calling her power.

She could see the light born from within as her hands began to glow. She narrowed her focus on the last place that she heard the youkai pair talking, and then she threw out her hands and released a blast.

"Damn!"

To channel her power without the use of a weapon had taken her years to master. Kagome smirked and sent another blast toward the one that released the curse.

"Watch out!"

She swiftly tossed another stream of purification toward the second youkai that spoke.

"Gods-be-damned, she's a fucking miko!"

Kagome laughed wickedly. "You got that right! I am a miko, and I'm going to purify your ass!" Another blast of blinding light hurled toward the last one that talked.

"This ain't worth it! Run!"

"Right behind you!"

Kagome could feel their demonic aura receding and smiled in triumph. She released her energy, allowing it to curl back into its home deep inside of her. She reached out and grasped Saya's arm and then her hand. "We did it, Saya-chan. They are gone."

Saya laughed with heady relief and squeezed Kagome's hand gratefully. "You did it Kagome. I don't know what I would have done if you had not been here."

"It was nothing," Kagome said with a blush. "Come on, let's get dressed. I'm beginning to prune."

Saya agreed and quickly they made their way out of the water and into their clothes. Saya stopped just as they were about to leave and looked up toward the sky. "Do you smell that, Kagome?"

"What? I don't smell anything." Kagome sniffed, but shrugged it off. There wasn't anything there.

Suddenly thunder from above shook the ground. The sound was loud and it made them both jump. "Rain!" Saya cried just before the sky opened up and released a downpour.

They squealed when the cold-water droplets hit their skin and both of them began to hurry back toward the safety of Saya's home. When they finally reached shelter, they were both soaked to the bone.

"You smelled the rain?" Kagome asked Saya breathlessly.

"Hai. It was faint when we left for the pond, but I thought that we would have plenty of time for a bath before it hit. I'm sorry that I did not mention it sooner."

Kagome quickly reassured her. "Don't be silly. If those two jerks hadn't shown up, we would have made it back in plenty of time. It's their fault."

Saya giggled with a case of heightened nerves and freezing body. "But your beautiful kimono is all wet."

Kagome sighed and pulled the wet material away from her skin. It made a sucking plop and went right back in place. "True. That is a shame, but don't worry, it will dry."

When they entered Saya's room, they quickly shed their wet clothing and donned the katazome sleeping kimonos, which were a bit worn, but thick and warm. After taking their wet clothes to the kitchen hearth to dry overnight, they grabbed a cup of warm tea then settled down to sleep.

Kagome listened to Saya's even breathing as her friend fell into slumber. The night had been exciting, but it worried her that Saya had been at risk all this time. There was no telling how long those two hentai jerks had been watching her bathe. Saya was lucky that they had never pulled anything before now. She vowed to speak to her in the morning and make sure that she understood how dangerous it was to wander off alone. She knew that it was a blow to Saya's independence, but it was a necessity to take someone with her in order to stay safe.

As she drifted off to sleep, her mind sought out the sweet memories of her youkai's loving embrace.  


 

A/N: I hope that you enjoyed the chapter. Next update Kagome will finally be reunited with her friends, so don't miss it!

A special thanks to all of the Mediaminer.org reviewers out there! You all are awesome!