InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Violation of Honor ❯ Chapter 29 - Anxiety and Fear ( Chapter 29 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Violation of Honor

By Rinseternalsoul

**Disclaimer: I can only dream of having the money that Rumiko Takahashi makes off of her anime, Inuyasha. Me? I’m just a non-profit fanfiction author who adores the show and loves to write smut.

 

Chapter 29 - Anxiety and Fear

A/N: First and foremost, I want to thank my beta, Risa for all the hard work that she does for 'Violation of Honor'. She not only helps me with the editing, but she offers intelligent advice and suggestions. Without her, the story would not be what it is. I think that we make a great team!

I know that some folks hate when authors respond to reviewers within their story, but since I do not always have the opportunity to tell everyone individually how much I appreciate their support, I am adding them in anyway. To all the readers that did not review, but are still reading...Thank you and I hope you continue to enjoy 'Violation of Honor'.

At AdultFanfiction.net:

iloveprettysilverhair

Thanks and I'm glad that you enjoyed it!

yeiko87

Wow! Thanks for the great compliment!

mrs sesshy

Yep! I'm thrilled about the awards and excited about the story. I'm happy to see that you are too!

Rose

You are not the only one that doesn't care for the Saya/Inuyasha pairing, but I ask you to have patience. Give her chance. The story is far from over. I'm really happy to hear that you are enjoying the rest of the story and I think that this new chapter will answer some of your questions. Thanks for reviewing!

serasvictoria666

Hello again my fellow Hellsing fan! Glad you liked it and thanks for reviewing!

TheWeimarClassicist

I tell you what I love...The Word PIMPOCITY! You go girl! That is an awesome word. Thanks so much for supporting us!

emmi_bubbles07

You guessed right; no need for you to miss Kouga anymore! Thanks for reviewing!

Mademoiselle

Don't worry. It's just getting good now! Thanks for reviewing!

Unruly2love

My goodness, I am honored to be the recipient of such a flattering review! Thank you so much for the support!

Kiyasume Senritsu no Yokobue

I'm glad that you are enjoying the story! I just love the word decadent...it melts in ones mouth. Thanks for the review!

LadyAquill

I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the story. Plot hole? Me? Never. haha! It's nice that you have paid such close attention to the details. I hope this chapter answers some of your questions. Thanks for the support!

T A Farr

Oda Nobunaga pissing his pants? Wow, the imagery alone was enough to make me burst out laughing! haha! I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thanks for the review!

Merely Truth

You are so welcome and thanks for the support!

Melodi Moon

Geez. You sound like me. Who is writing this story anyway? Lol! Please try to get some sleep. I would not want to be held responsible for your failing health. Leave the dark circles to me. I am happy to know that you love the story so much. And Reading it twice! YES! That always makes me happy! Thanks!

talonsage

It is with great honor that I accept your praise. I always enjoying swaying a reader to the Kagome/Sesshomaru pairing, but having a reader compliment my writing skills the way you have makes me beam with pride. Thank you so much for reading and reviewing!

AIdeen

It's great to know that you are so excited about the story! Thanks for reviewing!

BeautifulSilentDeath

Ah...my fellow Harlot...your review had me laughing my hentai ass off! White Shit! Too funny. I haven't seen snow since 1988, but even that two days made me realize how much I love living in the deep south. I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter and thanks for reviewing!

Lacey

It's great to have a fan that follows all of my stories! Thank you for the support. As for updates, I try to get one out every two weeks or so. Sorry, I have no set schedule. You can pop over to Mediaminer.org, however; they have a checkbox that will notify you every time that I update. Maybe that will help.

archangel

Ah, a fellow smut lover! lol! I am so happy to hear that you love the story as well as the smut. Amazingly, I have actually had a couple of complaints about my Hyuuga lemon. It's great to know that you are not one of them. Thanks for reviewing!

Patty530

Thank you for the condolences. Your thoughtfulness means a lot to me. Glad you enjoyed the chapter!

InuPriestess

Wow, I'm blushing from your praise! Thank you so much for the compliments. I am thrilled that you are enjoying Shin's character. I have some very interesting things planned for him ahead. Thanks for the support!

CherieElizabeth

Holy cow! First, I am thrilled that you are so intrigued with 'Violation of Honor' and the characters within. Second, let me say that I was horrified to realize that I had missed one of the wives! ACK! I went back and recounted and damned if I wasn't missing Lady Hotaro! I suppose she was off visiting her sister during the harem orgy scene. LOL! Hyuuga didn't notice that she was gone. I didn't either. I'm thankful that you did or I might never have known. Risa and I will try to pull together a list of the other characters in Violation, since we have been talking about doing that anyway. Here is the info that I have on the wives - I hope that it helps in your quest:

Benika - One of a set of green haired twins. 4th with a tiny mole on the inside of her right thigh.

Beniko - 5th wife and one of a set of identical twins.

Aki - Athletic and plays the Kakko drum.

Aoi - 12th wife, magenta eyes and powder blue hair. Fliratious but loyal to Hyuuga.

Queen Arisu - 1st wife and patriarch of the harem. Tall with long dark hair. Loves pain with her pleasure.

Ayako - 6th wife. Means scholarly child. Loves to read and study scrolls.

Cho - Means butterfly. Dark hair. She and Lady Fumiko enjoy each others company, even sexually.

Eiko - The eldest wife.

Fumiko - Treasured beauty. Dark hair. She and Lady Fumiko enjoy each others company, even sexually

Hitomi - Most beautiful eyes of the harem. Lilac speckled with gold.

Kameko - Motherly. Rubenesque and lovely. Admired greatly by the guard Taikimaru.

Kayo - Pregnant and mother of seven childern by Hyuuga.

Mai - Sensual. Dances for Hyuuga.

Momoko - Means peach child. Plays the Biwa.

Yukiko - Snow child. Youngest of the sixteen wives. Long snowy white hair. Generates snow as power.

Lady Hotaro - Means firefly. Tall and very thin. (Obviously so thin that she is easily missed! HAHA!)

 

 

 

 

At MediaMiner.org:

Fluffylady

I love to hook a reader! Thank's for reviewing!

TAJE
Thank you for your continued support and your kind words. I'm glad that you enjoyed the chapter and thanks for the great review!

Tiegrsi
I'm glad you enjoyed the chapter, and let me address your question about Sesshomaru thinking it odd that Kagome was having lewd thoughts of him. He knew that something had changed from the first moment that he saw her huddled with her friends. He just wasn't sure why. I believe this chapter will also further answer your question since the scene is continued. Thank you so much for the support!

DemonandGoddess4ever
Thank you for the support!

Snowfall
Girl, you have practically written a book yourself with these wonderfully lengthy reviews! I certainly am not complaining. I love to hear all of your thoughts on the story and the characters. The fact that you have read this story five times makes me so happy that I could squeal! To me, there is no greater compliment that having a reader admit to reading one of my stories more than once. It shows that you are really enjoying it and by the detail of your review, I am sure of it! Thank you so much for the support. I hope that I continue to please you as the story continues to unfold.

theblackangels_
Um...your reviews are weird, but at least you take the time to leave one. Thank you so much for the support!

ktshabatiee
Glad you liked it! Thanks for reviewing!

lockedincar

Shin is a little bitty hentai, isn't he? Well, I have big plans for him in the future. Thanks for the review!

PitaBread
Happy Birthday my friend! I am so very happy that I was able to make your special day a little bit brighter. I am so happy that you are enjoying the story so much. I am also thrilled that you like the pairing of Saya and Inuyasha. Some of the readers do not, but you stated it perfectly when you said 'She needs protection, and he lives to protect.' Kagome has outgrown the need for Inuyasha's protection and Saya will offer him that which he needs. I have plans for her too, so I am hoping to sway the reluctant readers as the story continues to unfold. Again, I am tickled that I was able to make your birthday a little nicer. Thank you so much for the review!

hemlockglade
Thank you for the condolences. I am happy to hear that you are enjoying the story so much. It is nice to know that you like the way I have portrayed the characters. I always try very hard to keep Kagome and Sesshomaru close to character. It's great to be appreciated! Thank you!

brainshake
I have had so many great comments about your picture of Shin! I just want to thank you once again. Sorry about the penname mix-up. I know who you are, but my fingers screwed up. lol! As for Asuza, well, she certainly deserves some torture and I have just the thing planned...muahahaha! Thank you for reviewing!

Kagome357
Thanks for the congrats! I am thrilled to see that you are still enjoying the story. You made me laugh out loud when you called Asuza a 'skank' and Iku 'chickenboy'! HAHA! I'm laughing again! Thank you so much for the review!

FayeMegan
Libido is a very sexy word, isn't it? It implies all sorts of yummy hidden treats. I am happy that you liked it! Thanks for reviewing!

imanewme
I'm happy to hear that you are enjoying the story so much. Yes, things are really heating up now for all of our characters. I'm really having a great time writing this and I still have so much planned ahead. As for knowing about Yuki meaning snow, yes, I did know that. I picked her name just for that reason. 2000names.com said that Yukiko means 'snow child'. I'm glad that you caught it. Thanks for the great review!

 

Now, on with the story!  


 

Kagome shifted nervously before finally chancing a look around. 'Oh Gods, Sesshomaru is still staring!' It also did not escape her notice that she had drawn the attention of every other demon in the room. For some reason, the humans were not paying her any attention—even Inuyasha was ignoring her—but the youkai were definitely looking her way. She gave them a shy smile from beneath her heavy bangs, but when she met Shippo's eyes, she was surprised when he turned away with an embarrassed flush on his cheeks.

'What is going on? They're all acting like they read my mind or something!' Just thinking that someone else might have been privy to her recent lascivious ramblings made Kagome cringe and turn a deeper shade of red. She quickly took another peek around and was happy to see that whatever had drawn their interest was now past. Even Sesshomaru had turned his attention back to the map and Lord Hyuuga. She breathed a sigh of relief and thanked her lucky stars that she was no longer the center of attention.

Her stomach was in knots, and she rubbed over it with trembling hands. Being the focus of one powerful demon was enough to give her the jitters, but to have a whole room of them looking at her made her feel downright queasy. Sango scooted over and leaned in, thankfully distracting her from any further thoughts on the subject...at least until she asked, "What was that all about?"

Kagome shrugged her shoulders and shook her head. "I don't know. It was pretty odd though."

"That is an understatement if I ever heard one," Sango whispered. "They all looked at you at once. Did you see the way Sesshomaru was staring at you? Gods, Kagome. I've never seen that look on his face before. It was almost as if..."

"Um," Kagome blurted before Sango could finish her statement. "Can we not discuss this right now?"

Sango gave her a confused look, but nodded in agreement. "Sure. We can talk later."

"Thanks," Kagome smiled tiredly. She glanced over to Inuyasha, whose radar-like ears were twitching to the sounds around him. He seemed to be ignoring her, but she was sure that he had been listening to their conversation. She didn't want Inuyasha to get any ideas. Now was not the time. If what she suspected was true about Sesshomaru, then telling Inuyasha would take patience and tact. She would have to break it to him gently. He would have to have time to adjust.

And it would be a really good idea if they were in a vastly deserted area where he could destroy as much scenery as he wanted to without endangering any lives.

'Oh man, what am I going to do?' Kagome inwardly groaned. There was no one that Inuyasha hated more than Sesshomaru. He only suffered his presence for the good of mankind. There was no way that he was going to accept a relationship between them! He could barely stand to be within miles of his half-brother. How would Inuyasha react to learning that she had given herself to Sesshomaru? The mere thought sent a shiver of cold dread up her spine.

'Wait a minute, Kagome,' she mentally chastised herself. 'You don't know for a fact that it was Sesshomaru. You have no proof—only suspicions. Don't go worrying over something that might not even be true!' Kagome shook her head as if trying to settle the idea in her mind. Just because Sesshomaru looked at her like he would enjoy licking every inch of her skin from her toes up, did not mean that he was her silent youkai.

'Oh Gods,' She silently groaned. 'Who am I kidding?' As unbelievable as it seemed, the clues were piling up faster than she could have imagined. Since Sesshomaru had arrived in YoKaishi, he had been acting highly unusual towards her. His eyes seemed to constantly find her. Heck, he even purchased a room for her and Rin to share! The old Sesshomaru would never have done that. He wouldn't have cared if she slept outside in the freezing snow. This Sesshomaru, however, seemed to have an interest in her that went far beyond any he had ever had before.

It all made sense now. The reason why her silent youkai would not talk to her. He knew that she would recognize his voice. How could she have missed it—such a smooth vibration of creamy depths, unique and utterly delicious? She would have known him immediately by the first words he spoke. He had known she would. Sesshomaru must have been horrified to discover that she was the one sharing his cell. She could only imagine the humiliation that the great demon lord must have felt.

Thinking back on their time in the dungeon left Kagome feeling deeply disturbed. She looked up, finding the tall, proud taiyoukai. Had it really been him chained helpless and naked to the damp stone wall? Well, not completely helpless. She distinctly remembered hearing the shouts of agony from any of the guards that had dared to come to close. Still, though, it was a horrifying revelation to think that the youkai she shared such torment with had been Lord Sesshomaru.

He had been stripped of not only his clothing, but his dignity as well. He had been drugged and beaten, used in unspeakable ways. Kagome shivered when she recalled the pain and suffering that she felt coming from him in waves.

"Kagome? Is something wrong?"

Kagome looked over to Sango and tried hard to soothe her with a smile. Unfortunately, she couldn't quite manage it properly so she attempted to cover for herself. "I guess I'm just a little tired."

"Oi, wench," Inuyasha scolded from his spot on the floor, "You'll be useless tomorrow if you don't get some sleep. I've got this covered. Besides, we can fill you in on what you need to know tomorrow."

Kagome was grateful and she gave Inuyasha a big smile. He could be such a softy sometimes. "Thanks, Inuyasha. I think that I will take you up on that."

Sesshomaru heard his brother telling the miko to go and rest. He had been enjoying having her near, but was also relieved that Inuyasha would not push her too far. The boy did seem to have Kagome's best interest at heart, though he often went about it entirely the wrong way. The demon slayer decided to leave as well, but the monk stayed behind with Inuyasha and the fox.

He could feel Kagome's soothing aura drawing closer as she made her way to the door, and he chanced a peek from the corner of his eyes. She looked wane, as if the day had been too much for her. Sesshomaru was concerned and gave a delicate sniff when she came closer. He did not detect sickness and for that he was relieved. Only the sweet smell of her crisp womanly scent filled his nose, and he rolled the aroma along his tongue committing it to memory once more before turning back to the strategy plans.

"Good night, Lord Sesshomaru."

Surprised, Sesshomaru turned to find Kagome looking up at him with a soft smile. The light from the torches lining the walls reflected beautifully in her eyes, and he felt as if his cold heart might melt entirely away. She looked so lovely, and he wanted nothing more than to hold her close and breathe in the fragrance of her soft hair. He was shocked that she would stop and speak to him, daring to do so in front of all in attendance—even Inuyasha. He had barely enough time to grasp the importance of her softly spoken words, before she turned to walk away.

"Sleep well, Kagome."

Kagome nearly stumbled when she heard him reply. She never expected it. In fact, she was still amazed at her own brazen comment. She had not intended to say anything. She had all intentions of walking by and going straight to bed. But when she passed him, she felt such a warmth in her heart that she could not leave without saying good-bye. After all, she was almost positive now that he was her silent youkai.

Kagome's smile grew to new bounds, and she left the room with renewed energy. She had taken a chance just now—a big one—but in the end, it had paid off.

Sesshomaru listened as Kagome slid the door closed behind her. Why had she singled him out? Was he correct in his assumption? Did she know? From the moment their eyes had met in the marketplace, he knew that something had changed. The last time he saw her, she had shouted her hatred towards him without a drop of regret. But from the time he walked into this village, she had been different. There was something there that was missing before. She no longer looked at him with disdain. Yes. Something had changed, and he suspected that it was a revelation of the truth.

He turned to Uchuu with narrowed eyes. Had the monkey told his secret? Uchuu's blue eyes met his own, and Sesshomaru saw the amused smirk lingering on his face. The monkey gave an almost imperceptible shake of his head. He obviously knew that Sesshomaru suspected him of leaking the truth. 'Hn. So it was not the monkey,' Sesshomaru mused. 'Then how?' He had been so careful not to leave a trace.

Perhaps he had underestimated his little miko. She was, after all, quite an intelligent creature. It was not impossible to assume that she had come to the conclusion on her own. His actions since seeing her again would have only added assurance to her suspicions. Not only had he verbally defended her honor against Hyuuga, but he had been unable to resist housing her under the same roof that he would share. He had even tempted her into a room, shared only by Rin, in order to preserve her unique scent from being spoiled by the males and females of her group.

He was giving himself away, and he was helpless to stop it. Did he really wish too? Sesshomaru pondered that question as he watched General Juno point out various obstacles that could cause problems in their upcoming attack. Did he want to continue the farce? The answer came easily to him. No. He wanted her to know. He wanted Kagome to be aware of his feelings for her. He needed her by his side. Her loyal strength would keep him solid when the darkness once more threatened to overcome him.

Only one person in the room noticed the slight smirk that curled Sesshomaru's lip when he thought of Kagome approaching him. Sesshomaru did not notice the scowl on his half-brother's face as he briefly pondered a future together with his precious miko. Sesshomaru was still too enraptured by the sound of her soft voice speaking his name.

Inuyasha was not exactly sure what the hell was going on between Kagome and Sesshomaru. He had not missed the odd interaction between the two of them since they met earlier in the day. Sesshomaru had never taken an interest in Kagome, except when she got in his way. Then he was quick to bare his claws and try to kill her. This was very different. Not that Sesshomaru had ever spoken to her civilly in the past. He had, and had even gone so far as to save her from danger once or twice—even though it was in the pursuit of his own schemes.

This, however, went way beyond Sesshomaru's normal behavior toward Kagome. He didn't like the prick giving any special attention to her. That was a damned dangerous road to cross. His brother was untrustworthy and vicious. Sesshomaru would turn on him in a second, and he wouldn't put it past him to try and use Kagome to his advantage.

At first he thought Kagome would not have paid the asshole any attention. Then, when she walked in a few minutes ago, Inuyasha could have sworn that she looked at Sesshomaru a little longer than was necessary. In fact, now that he thought about it, her scent had been warmer when she entered the room—spicier. What did it mean? He seemed to remember smelling it before, long ago, but not the same. Something was different. Before he had been able to decipher the details it had vanished, but he didn't miss the fact that he wasn't the only one that noticed. Sesshomaru had been watching her, though he tried to hide it, and the other demons in the room were looking at her strangely. Even Sango had seen that.

Obviously, they had smelled something that he, as a hanyou, had been unable to pick up from the distance between them. Sometimes being a half-demon really sucked. Smells could be powerful or simply a tease. It was enough to make him regret giving the Shikon no Tama to Kagome instead of making the wish that he had always longed to make. One wish and he could have had the power and instincts of a full demon.

One wish and he could have turned into a mindless raging beast.

Inuyasha shook his head of regrets and focused on the new anomaly that had cropped up in his life. What was Sesshomaru's sudden interest in Kagome? Not only that, but what was Kagome thinking by telling his fucked-up brother 'good-night'?! As if that hadn't been enough to make his stomach roll, Sesshomaru had actually turned around and acknowledged her with a 'sleep well, Kagome'. It was enough to make him sick! 'Damn! What the fuck is going on here?' he thought with an irritated growl.

"Inuyasha," Miroku softly said as he took a seat beside him. "You seem disturbed."

Inuyasha looked at the monk with narrowed eyes full of contemplation and barely veiled violence, causing Miroku's brows to shoot up in question. "Something stinks around here, and I'm gonna find out what it is real soon."

Miroku nodded to his half-demon friend and silently considered his words. Inuyasha was obviously incensed over something, and he had a pretty good idea of what it was. Kagome had stopped and said something to Sesshomaru. At the time, he had found it highly unusual, and it was apparent that Inuyasha was disturbed by it as well. He couldn't imagine what Kagome was thinking, and he had no idea why she would wish to speak with the taiyoukai. Kagome was a rare and unpredictable woman; however, it was beyond a mere male's capability to decipher her actions. Perhaps, Sango would know more. He would have to remember to ask her later.  


 

Outside of Kagome's room, Sango stopped. "Where are you going?"

Kagome smiled with an absent-minded look. "Oh, sorry. I forgot to tell you. Sesshomaru purchased this room for Rin and me. I couldn't say no without being rude."

Sango stared back at her with a blank expression. Finally, after the words had a chance to sink in, Sango moved a little closer. She glanced around and fiercely whispered, "Kagome, what is going on?"

Kagome's eyes widened slightly, and she began to look a little nervous. "Uh...what do you mean?"

"Don't play coy with me. I've known you too long. Something is going on with you, and it has something to do with Sesshomaru."

Caught. Kagome blinked and tried quickly to think of a way to resolve her blunder. If she told Sango, what would she think? Would she be angry? Disgusted?

"Spill it, Kagome." Sango demanded. "I've noticed the way he keeps staring at you. I've also noticed you staring at him. I wasn't sure that it meant anything, but when we were leaving you stopped and spoke to him! You told Sesshomaru good-night! Now, you are telling me that he has purchased a room for you? I'm not stupid. Something is going on, and I want to know what it is."

Kagome breathed in deeply and gathered her courage. She would not lie to Sango. She was her best friend—a sister through blood and strife. They had been through hell together, and they would get through this. Kagome reached out and pulled Sango away from the shoji door and down the corridor until she was sure that what she said would remain private.

Sango looked at her with wide, concerned eyes full of curiosity. Kagome made one last silent prayer that her friend would understand and then said, "What I am about to tell you, Sango, you have to swear not to tell a soul."

Sango could feel the pit of her stomach clench up tightly with anticipation. Whatever Kagome had to say was obviously of great importance and dangerous as well or she would not require her vow of silence. "Even to Miroku?" she asked, just to make sure.

"Yes. Even to Miroku. No one can know—at least for now."

Sango shook her head, not sure if she wanted to know Kagome's secret, but unable to walk away. She needed to know. A secret of this magnitude could be life-threatening for her friend. She had to do whatever it took in order to keep Kagome safe. "I swear."

Kagome blinked with a curt nod of acceptance. "I think that Sesshomaru is my silent youkai."

Sango made a choking noise as a burst of air left her chest. "What?!" Realizing that she raised her voice, she quickly lowered the volume and whispered, "Are you sure? What makes you think so?"

Kagome replayed her detailed suspicions, and Sango listened with rapt attention. When she was done, her friend reached up and wiped a bead of sweat from her brow. "Oh Kami, Kagome. I wish I could laugh at your idea, but it is far too serious. There are too many coincidences to overlook. Sesshomaru...what will Inuyasha say?"

"Sango, I have no idea how to deal with this. I can't even begin to imagine what Inuyasha will do when he finds out. It isn't going to be pretty, that much I know." She slumped against the wall and shook her head. "I can hardly believe it myself, but the facts are too strong to ignore." She looked up to her friend and a tear leaked from the corner of her troubled eyes. "Whatever happens, Sango, just remember that I love you guys."

"Don't be silly, Kagome. We know that. You act as if Inuyasha will kill you."

"He just might."

Sango snorted. "You know better. He might go on a rampage, but he isn't going to kill you."

"He might...when I leave him."

Her heart nearly stalled in her chest, and Sango's eyes grew wide. "What? Why would you leave?"

Kagome gave her friend a sad little smile. "Because I love him, Sango. I love my silent youkai. What we went though still gives me nightmares. What he suffered was beyond what any creature should be put through. He needs me, Sango, and I cannot just walk away from that."

"Oh, Kagome," Sango sighed and pulled her friend into a warm, reassuring hug. "Don't worry, everything will work out. We will make it work for you because you deserve to be happy."  


 

Inside her room with Rin, Kagome spotted Shin sitting perched on an oak log. One glance at the girl and Kagome realized that she was fast asleep. In order not to wake her, Kagome kneeled down to the pile of wood and whispered, "What are you doing in here, Shin?"

Shin cleared his throat and replied, "I came to ask Lady Rin about helping me return to my formal self."

Kagome looked confused for a moment and then asked, "How? Rin doesn't know anything about magic."

Shin slithered forward, moving his tail to and fro until he was comfortably seated on a lumpy knot covered in misshapen bark. His coloring was blended so well in the darkness that Kagome would have missed him completely had the firelight not reflected in his tiny eyes. "No. Rin told me that she knows nothing of magic. Unfortunately, that nasty green imp that she travels with has extensive knowledge. Rin promised to speak to him about my problem."

"Oh. Well, I can understand your wish to become human again. Just...be careful, Shin. Spells have a way of backfiring. Believe me; I've seen it happen more than once."

Shin sighed, the tiny puff of air nearly impossible to hear over the crackle of the fire. "Rin said the same. It is, however, a risk that I am willing to take. Nothing could be worse than this."

Kagome gave a discouraging little chuckle. "Don't be so sure." Seeing the downtrodden expression on his little face made Kagome feel bad for bringing him down. "I'm sorry, Shin. I know this must be horrible for you. If you decide to go through with it, I will be happy to do anything that I can to help."

Shin lifted his long neck and stared at the miko for a moment before answering. "You are a gracious woman, Lady Kagome. I see now why you are loved by so many."

Even in the dimly lit room Shin could see the blush that spread over Kagome's features. She muttered a bashful thanks before sliding the door open a crack and shooing him outside.

+++++

The night had come and gone. Kagome shivered in the chill room and tossed another log in the fire pit. She then quickly changed from her warm sleeping kimono into her priestess garb and was about to shrug into her winter haori when Rin woke up.

"Kagome-sama? Where are you going?" she asked sleepily while rubbing her eye with the back of her hand.

Kagome glanced up and said, "I was going to go and visit Madam Seto before we leave, and I wanted to stop and tell Saya good-bye just in case we don't come back this way after the battle."

Rin scooted up further and shook her head. "You speak about going to battle like it is as simple as going to market."

Kagome stopped her busy morning routine for just a moment and smiled at Rin. "Sadly, Rin. This is a part of my life. There are always battles to be fought, in one way or another." She sighed heavily and picked up her highly worn toothbrush. "I wish it wasn't like this, but it is."

Rin sat up completely and crossed her legs. "I understand. I am used to it as well, living with Sesshomaru-sama like I do." She fiddled with a loose thread in the blanket she was covered in and then looked up with interest. "Do you think that Lord Sesshomaru ever gets tired of fighting?"

Kagome nodded her head. "I imagine that he does Rin, but I don't know him that well. What do you think?"

Rin gave a sad smile. "I think that he loves his peaceful times, but I also know that he thrives in battle."

She was a smart young woman, Kagome realized. Rin had grown up under to protection of a taiyoukai—one that seemed to be as emotionless as a rock—yet she held an enlightenment of the world around her that would make a grown man weep with envy. No wonder Sesshomaru kept her by his side.

"Lord Sesshomaru said that I must stay here and await his return. I will send up a prayer for your safety, Kagome."

Kagome gave her a thankful smile. "That is sweet of you, Rin."

"Um...Kagome?"

"Yes, Rin?"

"Can you please look out for Shippo? I will be worried for him."

"That's sweet of you, Rin," Kagome replied. "I promise that I will try to keep him out of trouble, but remember, Shippo has been traveling and fighting with us for years. He knows what he's doing, so don't worry too much, okay?"

Rin stretched and gave a little yawn. "I won't. I know he is strong. He saved me from the witch." Her eyes lit up as she talked. "You should have seen him, Kagome. He was amazing!"

Kagome laughed and continued her morning routine. "I believe it."

After downing some of the food leftover from her previous meal, Kagome stuffed everything else into her bag before grabbing her quiver and bow. Rin's soft sleeping puff's of air were the only sounds against the crackle of the glowing fire when Kagome slid the door open and stepped out into the dimly lit corridor. She hurried to the front door of the inn, passing several busy servants getting ready for the morning rush of patrons. After slipping outside, she shivered from the freezing cold. It didn't look like the snow was going anywhere anytime soon—at least not while Lord Hyuuga's wife was in residence.

Kagome scurried down the boardwalk and then crossed the early-morning, sparsely populated, street. It only took her a few minutes to reach Madam Seto's little herb shop, and she quickly slipped in the door. Immediately the thick scent of fresh and dried herbs accosted her nose. Kagome fought the urge to sneeze from the abrupt smell and took a moment to stomp off the snow from her boots. She looked up and glanced around the room for Madam Seto.

"Hello?" she called.

A woman that Kagome did not recognize came from out of the back room with a broad smile. "Ohayou gozaimasu. May I help you?"

"I was looking for Madam Seto," Kagome replied. "Is it too early for her?"

The smile on the woman's face turned sad, and she shook her head with regret. "I am sorry to inform you, but Madam Seto has fallen ill."

"Oh no!" Kagome exclaimed. "That's terrible. Can I see her? I would like to offer my prayers." At first the woman looked hesitant, but after a quick glance down, taking in the white kimono and red hakama of her miko station, she finally agreed.

"Follow me, then. I am sure that Seto would enjoy a brief visit."

Kagome followed the woman through the narrow door, finding that it led into a larger room warmed by a blazing fire. Kagome spotted Madam Seto's hunched frame sitting beside the pit with a thick blanket drawn over her lap. Before joining her, she stopped and placed her belongings by the doorway. When she reached her side, Kagome knelt down and greeted the frail elderly woman. "Ohayou gozaimasu, Seto-sama. I hope you remember me. My name is Kagome."

Madam Seto turned at the sound of her voice, and Kagome was stunned at the face that greeted her. There was recognition in her weary eyes, but it was suddenly clear that the woman had lost the use of her voice. She opened her mouth to speak, but the sounds came out raw and forced. Kagome immediately noticed the droopy eyelid over her left eye and the downward tilt of her lips on that same side of her face. "Oh no," Kagome muttered. "You've had a stroke."

Madam Seto's female companion looked curiously at Kagome and shook her head. "We do not know what has happened to her. She was like this when I came in to help with the herbs nearly a week ago."

Madam Seto suddenly seemed greatly concerned with speaking. Kagome took the old woman's hand and felt her squeezing her palm with weak strength. She continued to utter some undecipherable words, but Kagome could not give her peace because she simply didn't understand. "Please don't be upset, Seto-sama. I heard that you were ill, and I simply wished to offer a prayer for your recovery."

Madam Seto shook her head, growing frustrated with her inability to speak. Her agitation was growing with every attempt, as if what she wanted to say was terribly important. Her companion grew concerned and came to kneel beside her. They both tried to soothe the old woman, but nothing seemed to work. Kagome could see the torment in her ancient eyes. She could feel the urgency rolling off of her in waves. Again and again Madam Seto tried to form the evasive words, but her mouth simply refused to obey her brain's command.

"Perhaps you should go," the other woman said. "I've never seen her like this."

Kagome felt terrible and nodded her understanding. "I'm terribly sorry to have upset you. I will keep you in my prayers."

Kagome was forced to pull her hands from the elderly woman's grasp. Astonishingly, her retreat only made the situation worse as Madam Seto began to call out with muddled, obscure sounds. Kagome shook her head, feeling tears welling in her eyes. The last time she had been with this woman she was still full of life. Now she was trapped inside of a useless body.

Madam Seto suddenly scrunched her wrinkled face and pressed her lips together with obvious effort. Kagome backed up, but never removed her eyes from the elderly woman's struggling face.

"Ba...n...shi!" Seto shouted and much to Kagome's horror, the woman's hard-won success of speech only fueled further repetitions of the dooming word. "Ban...shi! Ba...n...shi!"

Kagome had never felt so full of terror in her life. She gave a quick, respectful bow before snatching up her things and running for the door. Once out in the frigid morning air, Kagome stopped and closed her eyes while trying to calm down. Her heart was pounding and she took slow breaths to force it into a normal pace. 'Banshi! Dear Kami, why had she screamed 'certain death'? Am I going to die?' Was Madam Seto trying to warn her? Would this battle bring about her demise?

Her hands were shaking as she pulled her bow more firmly over her shoulder. 'I have to calm down. She's just a sick old lady. She was talking out of her head.' Kagome breathed in deeply and repeated the comforting words in hopes that the sick dread she felt in the pit of her stomach would go away. Although the panic did subside, the terrible seed had already been planted and nothing would remove it completely.

Kagome forced her shaky legs to move toward Saya's home, putting as much distance between her and the herb shop as possible. Her mind kept replaying the desperation on Madam Seto's face. No matter how hard she tried to abolish it, the image would not leave. The strain of forming the word had been evident—the effort, intentional. She had been so distraught!

When she finally arrived at the kimono maker's shop, Kagome slipped around back and found one of the workers entering the back doorway. She quickly asked for Saya, and when her friend finally came out, Kagome embarrassed herself completely by falling into her arms.

"Kagome-sama? My heavens, what is wrong?" Saya's pleaded with grave concern. Kagome continued to sob into Saya's shoulder, unable to answer right away. "Please, Kagome! You must tell me what is wrong so that I can help you!"

Finally, Kagome was able to get control of her emotions. The horrid premonition had obviously frightened her more than she realized. "I am so sorry, Saya-chan! Please forgive me for crying all over you," Kagome sniffled.

"That is quite alright, Kagome. You can cry on me anytime you need to, but please, can you not tell me what has upset you so?"

Kagome took a deep shuddering breath and released it before attempting to tell Saya what happened. "I just spoke to Madam Seto."

Immediately Saya's face reflected understanding. "I must apologize, Kagome-sama. It slipped my mind to mention her recent incapacity."

Kagome shook her head, though Saya could not see it. "No, it isn't that. It was what she said—what she shouted at me."

Saya only looked confused. "I do not understand. Since Madam has fallen ill, she has been unable to speak even one word."

Kagome gave a wretched little laugh filled with confusion and pain. "She spoke to me, though."

"What did she say?"

"She said, 'banshi'. She said 'banshi' over and over. She was shouting it, and I was frightened and ran. Oh, Saya. What could it mean?" Kagome cried as Saya squeezed her hand.

"Certain death?" Saya mused. "I understand now why you are so upset. That is most cryptic."

"I know," Kagome groaned. "It was like she was desperate to tell me. Kami, Saya, what if she knows that I am going to die?"

Saya went rigid and lightly popped Kagome's hand. "Do not dare think such things! It is useless and a waste of your time to worry over the uttering of a broken old woman! I will not hear of you speaking so morbidly again. You will not die!"

Whether it was true or not, Kagome had desperately needed to hear her say that. The confidence in Saya's chastising voice offered her the reality check that she drastically needed. Kagome breathed in another deep breath of crisp morning air and released some of the tension that had been trapped inside. Saya was right. Madam Seto had apparently suffered from a severe stroke that left her unable to speak. There was no way to know if she had meant to say 'banshi'. She could have been trying to say something else entirely.

Kagome told herself what she needed to in order to ease her mind. She could not go into battle fearing that she wouldn't live to see another day. She shook her head and mentally shoved the ill-boding thoughts away. She had a job to do, and she would not allow the crazy mutterings of an old woman to scare her away.

"Thank-you, Saya-chan. I really needed to hear that."

Saya smiled and reached out to pull Kagome into a warm hug. "You are most welcome, Kagome. That is what friends are for, right?"

Kagome laughed, remembering having just recently said that to Saya last night. "Yes. That is exactly what friends are for."

Having calmed down considerably, Kagome was able to tell Saya why she had come in the first place. "I wanted to stop and tell you good-bye before I leave town. We are planning to go after an evil youkai that has been plaguing the lands. I'm not sure when I will get back here to see you again, but I will try to come as soon as I can."

Saya was saddened by the revelation that her friend would be leaving so soon and secretly she regretted not having been able to spend some more time with her newest friend, Inuyasha. "Yes, please come back soon. I will miss you."

"I'll miss you, too."

They hugged once more before Kagome headed back to join the others.

Tsuneo Okada heard the voice of his miscreant niece and after spending the last hour searching for the wench, his temper was peeked. He was about to turn the corner and demand she return to work when he heard the voice of strange woman speaking. He paused in his tracks, attempting to place her but recognition avoided him at the moment. Curious as to whom Saya would be chatting with so gaily, Tsuneo leaned forward and took a look around the wall.

It was her! The miko was standing right there just outside of his home!

Had Saya known all along where the bitch had been hiding?

He could hardly believe his good fortune! Immediately he turned and headed quickly back the way that he came. He knew exactly where he needed to go. There were loyal followers of the Nobunaga clan at his favorite tavern. He would surely find someone there that would be happy to assist him in capturing the woman until the soldiers came.

++++

 

Kagome rounded the corner of the building and spotted the gathering of her party outside the inn where she had stayed. Inuyasha was standing there with his usual look of complete impatience, while Miroku and Sango waited next to a fully transformed Kirara. Shippo looked up from talking to the firecat and waved. Kagome returned the gesture with a smile that she really didn't feel. She just couldn't seem to shake off the sense of impending doom that sat heavy within her gut.

She spotted Uchuu talking to Saburo and Yumiko. Lord Hyuuga was walking away from the inn while each of his wives looked on with a beautifully impassive face. Uchuu's brother came out right behind him and grabbed the reigns of his pale youkai horse from a waiting servant and his burly uncle did the same.

Sesshomaru stood beside of Ah-Un with Jaken by his side. He turned at her approach and met her eyes. Kagome smiled at him, and he returned the gesture with a slight nod of his head. Even that small acknowledgement of her was more than he had ever made before. 'It has to be him!'. If she looked hard enough she was sure the answer would be there, shadowed within his golden eyes. When this thing was over, would he come to her? Would he tell her the truth? She hoped so—she hoped that he would not make her wait.

"Kagome!"

Kagome barely had a chance to brace herself for the impact. It came at lightening speed, and her human instincts were too slow to match. When the wind around her calmed and the snow began to settle, Kagome shook her head and tried to regain her balance. "Kouga! I didn't expect you."

Kouga had not even released her fully when the sounds of feral growling began. Kouga's blue eyes were narrowed fiercely as he looked over her shoulder. Kagome twisted in his arms to see what was going on and found Inuyasha crouched in a fighting stance while brandishing Tetsusaiga in a deadly embrace. That wasn't particularly surprising. Kagome had seen it dozens of time since her first meeting with the wolf prince. It was Sesshomaru, standing next to Inuyasha that shook her to her core. The taiyoukai was practically shaking with rage.

"Get your fucking hands off her, you mangy wolf!" Inuyasha snarled.

Kouga looked at Inuyasha and merely laughed in his face. He intentionally gave Kagome an affectionate squeeze and said, "Mind your own business, mutt face."

"Release her at once, fool, or face the consequences of my blade."

Kagome's eyes grew wide with surprise when Sesshomaru issued his demand. Even Inuyasha was shocked by his brother's biting ultimatum. It was Kouga, however, that questioned the strange action. "I know you. You're Inuyasha's older brother."

"Half-brother!" Inuyasha snapped.

Sesshomaru made no response to either, instead narrowing his eyes and flaring his immense jyaki in a final warning to the degenerate wolf.

Kouga shrugged—unimpressed—and asked, "What's it to ya?"

A low and dangerous growl began to rise from Sesshomaru's chest, and Kagome feared the worse. She had to put a stop to this right away, before someone got hurt! She grabbed Kouga's hands and shoved them away before stumbling out of his grasp. She turned on him with angry eyes and let him know exactly how much she hated when he acted that way. "Kouga! How dare you grab me up and antagonize Inuyasha and Sesshomaru! You have no right to manhandle me when you are happily mated and with a new baby at that! Where is Ayame, anyway. I'm sure she would love to know how you are behaving in her absence."

The mention of his mate put Kouga right in place. His rebellious smirk turned quickly to a fretful frown. He held out his hands in a placating manner and shook his head sending his long dark ponytail whipping violently around. "Now, Kagome, let's not be hasty. I just missed you is all!"

Kagome calmed down a little and gave Kouga a soft smile. "I missed you too, Kouga. But you can't scare me like that."

Kouga shot a look over her shoulder at the glaring taiyoukai. "Yeah, I see."

Inuyasha had watched the whole thing long enough. He didn't like the damned wolf, but he sure as hell didn't like Sesshomaru interfering when it was not his place. He slipped his sword up to rest casually against his shoulder and turned on his half-brother. Leaving the sword out was a warning, and he wanted Sesshomaru to get the message loud and clear. "I don't know what the fuck has gotten into you lately, but you better listen up. I protect Kagome. You got that? I've been doing it since she came here, and I'm going to keep doing it. I don't need you. I never have. She's mine, and if you know what's good for you, you will stay the fuck away."

Sesshomaru had not yet calmed when Inuyasha turned to deliver his dire warning. The anger that he felt was nearly enough to blind him to the mission at hand and everything else. Inuyasha was standing in his way. The impudent pup would keep him from Kagome, and that was something that he could no longer allow. It was, however, the wrong moment to bring this fact to light for his baka younger brother. The time was approaching soon, though, and Inuyasha was in for a rude awakening. Sesshomaru straightened his back and raised his chin, looking down upon Inuyasha with utter disdain. He had hoped that the two of them could come to an agreement. It was a hope that was quickly beginning to fade.

"Inuyasha, we will discuss this after the battle."

"I don't think so, asshole. I've said what I have to say."

Kagome walked up and grabbed Inuyasha's sleeve and pulled him away. "Come on, Inuyasha; let’s go see if everyone is ready to leave."

Inuyasha allowed Kagome to pull him along, and he gave one last glare to his arrogant half-brother as they passed by. Kouga followed them, together with Ginta and Hakaku, and Inuyasha was surprised when Saburo stopped the wolf trio with a rowdy wave.

"Kouga! You made it!"

"Wait a minute, you two know each other?" Inuyasha asked.

Saburo grinned and patted Kouga on the back. "Sure. Kouga is the son of my aunt Hatsune."

"He's your cousin?" Kagome gasped in surprise.

Kouga chuckled and patted Saburo roughly on the shoulder. "That's right. Hard to believe there are so many good looking wolves— even in extended pack."

Inuyasha grunted sarcastically. "Where? I haven't seen any."

"Shut up, Inubaka," Kouga growled.

Saburo chuckled at the strained camaraderie between Kouga and the halfling, but it was interesting to see that Kagome and her friends knew Kouga and his brothers. "I invited Kouga to fight with us. Lord Hyuuga gave the word that it was okay, but I wasn't sure they were going to make it."

"We almost didn't," Kouga said with a good-natured chuckle. "Ayame gave me a scare with that cub of ours, but she's finally up and bitching like her old self again. I didn't want to leave her until I was sure."

Kagome smiled warmly and said, "That was sweet of you, Kouga. I'm happy about the baby."

"Cub, Kagome. We wolves have cubs."

Kagome blushed and nodded. "Oh, yeah. I guess so."

"This is all terribly exciting, but it is time that we depart."

Kouga looked up and met the eyes of a monkey that could only be the infamous Lord Hyuuga. Personally, he didn't like monkeys unless they were served up rare and on a dinner plate. He would make an exception for this one though because his cousin had taken up with the snobby ass. Saburo seemed to have built some respect for the macaque, and besides, the cause was a good one. The bitch that they were going after had held Kagome captive in a stinking dungeon. That was all the incentive that he needed to take her out. He might not be mated to Kagome, but he still loved her just the same. Any enemy of Kagome's was an enemy of his.

"Let's do this thing." Kouga growled.  


 

Oichi stepped out of the warm hut and wiped her sleeve across her sweaty forehead. The family was recovering, and thanks to Kagome-sama's quick thinking, the sickness had not spread beyond two of the village families. Having segregated the villagers seemed to help keep it from spreading, but she still didn't completely understand the need for wearing a scarf over her nose and mouth every single time that she came to care for them.

She trusted Kagome though; her knowledge of sicknesses seemed far more advanced than anything the people of her time came up with. However, it was difficult to change the views of some. Even now the sick tried to smother their fevers with layers of quilted blankets, though Kagome had instructed them to strip down their clothing to allow their body temperatures to fall.

Oichi was glad that Katsuto-san had been willing to go after the herbs that never came when Kagome-sama did not return as expected. If he had not delivered them, then some of the gentle members of the family she just left might have died. The thought of having to serve funeral rites over any one of them made her shiver with unease.

After whipping the scarf from her face, Oichi stuffed it into her basket and hurried back toward her hut in order to prepare the noonday meal. She would need to make enough for the five people that she just left behind since the mother was still too ill to cook. As she turned the corner beside the basket-weaver’s hut, she picked up the sound of approaching horses. A quiver of dread raised the thin hairs on the back of her neck. Almost no one except bandits and soldiers traveled on horseback.

The sounds grew louder and several of the villagers clambered out of their huts to see what was going on. The village headman ran up to Oichi's side along with his daughter just behind him. As soon as he spotted her following, he turned and shouted for her to return to their home and hide. Oichi wished that she could return home and hide as well, but she could not. Kagome was gone for at least eight days and had entrusted her to act as village miko in her place. So far, the work had only consisted of tending to a few sick people. How was she going to stand up to a group of bandits?

As the strangers drew nearer, Oichi could make out four men. They did not appear to be bandits, but soldiers. They raced through the dirt, passing villagers homes, while scattering stray chickens in their path. When they reached her and Tachamichi-san, they pulled up on the reins causing their worn and frothing horses to jump and prance around. It was obvious that they had been traveling hard as the men were covered in dust and sweat. The horses were blowing through their flared nostrils and pawing at the ground.

"Who is in charge of this village?"

Tachamichi-san looked at her and Oichi shrugged before making a motion for him to speak. She could tell the headmaster was frightened, but he could not avoid this situation. One of them had to speak for the village. With her support, he gathered his courage and stepped forward then went to his knees bowing low. "I am, sire! My name is Tachamichi, and I am the headmaster here."

"On your feet, fool!"

Tachamichi scrambled to his feet, and Oichi quickly stepped up to stand by his side for moral support. The soldier then looked her over with intensely calculating eyes, and it made her feel very uncomfortable. She shifted her feet, wishing that he would state his purpose and be gone. Suddenly, he surprised her by dismounting and stomping over to her. She could smell his sweat and filth as well as leather and horse. It was enough to shake the foundations of her resolve and make her take a fearful step back.

Oichi was startled when the gruff looking soldier suddenly reached out and clamped his callused hands around her soft face. He studied her closely, even twisting her from side to side. She was growing more frightened by the minute and looked worriedly to Tachamichi-san. It was obvious that he was aghast at the actions of the big man, but too scared to say anything.

"Your name, miko!"

The inquiry was put forth with such demand that Oichi quickly stuttered, "O..Oichi, sire." After she told him her name, his scrutinizing gaze lessened and he finally released her jaw. Oichi felt her heart begin to beat again, but the danger was still far from over.

"We are soldiers of the Nobunaga Clan. We are here for a miko that goes by 'Kagome'."

Tachamichi was quick to speak up now, thinking that Kagome's absence would only work in their favor. If she was not there, then the soldiers would be on their way. "Sire, the miko Kagome is not in this village."

The soldier reacted most violently to Tachamichi's revelation. Before the headman realized his error, the burly soldier had snatched him up by the front of his haori. The soldier's foul breath blasted Tachamichi's face as he growled out his next question. "What do you mean. Does she not reside in this village?"

"Hai, Sire!" Tachamichi answered frantically and without thought. Oichi was beginning to see that these men were up to no good. They could be a threat to Kagome-sama, and she had been hoping that Tachamichi would not give anymore information away. She could hardly blame him though, as the big soldier shook him like a leaf. If they treated her like that then she might also have told them everything they wanted to know.

"Well, man! Where is she?" The soldier demanded while giving Tachamichi another vicious shake.

"She has gone from here! She left four days ago on a mission to kill a demon!" The terrified headman shouted.

The soldiers did not take the news well. The one holding Tachamichi so roughly tossed him hard to the ground. Oichi gasped and turned to assist him, but the same soldier suddenly reached out and snatched her up by the hair. She screamed and he shook her, painfully bringing tears to her eyes.

"You will tell me where the miko went, and you had better not lie!"

"Please! Release me! Kagome-sama went to slay a demon. That is all that I know!"

"Liar!" He shouted and shook her again for emphasis. Oichi's feet left the ground beneath his strength, and she feared for her life. The soldier holding her motioned behind him with his free hand, and the three remaining soldiers dismounted and made their way to nearby huts. They ripped the tatami mat doors away, and Oichi could hear the terrified screams of the inhabitants as the soldiers snatched them up and tossed them out into the road.

The soldier twisted her around so that she could see her people sprawled out helplessly as the soldiers held katana's to their necks. Tears poured from her eyes, and she tried to blink them away and be strong. She was the acting miko and her people needed her.

"Now, listen up, bitch. You will tell us where the miko, Kagome, is or you will watch them die one by one."

The silence was only broken by her panting breaths, and the sobs of the villagers. Oichi was torn between her loyalty to Kagome and her loyalty to her people. She did not wish to tell these horrible men where Kagome-sama went, but she could not see another way out of this mess. These were not evil youkai attacking her village. These were human soldiers, and they were eager to do violence.

"Speak girl! What will it be? Tell me what I want to know or your villagers will die!"

The children were crying, and the mothers were begging the men not to harm them. Oichi no longer felt that she had a choice, and she hoped that Kagome would forgive her for what she was about to say. "Kagome-sama went to YoKaishi!"

"Fucking lying bitch! We just came from YoKaishi!"

A scream ripped through the air that made Oichi's gut clench up in terror. The soldier nearest to them callously slit the throat of a woman known as Fuki, and then dropped her body before quickly snatching up her only remaining child. Oichi cried out and scratched at the soldier's hands, but it was no use. She was terrified and stricken with such pain and grief that she thought she might vomit. "Please! No more! I beg you! I am telling the truth! Kagome-sama left for YoKaishi four days ago! She left with five others to join up with allies! That is all we know. I swear it on my honor as a miko!"

The soldier considered her briefly and then suddenly tossed her carelessly to the ground. Oichi felt so much relief, fear and sadness that she was nearly overwhelmed. She prayed the men would leave, but the soldier that had questioned her promptly put that thought from her mind.

"You will see to our provisions! Our horses need water and food. We will rest here for now." He then turned to one of his men and ordered, "We will take our rest, then you will ride with me back to YoKaishi. The others will remain here in case she comes back."

Oichi felt her heart go still from his words. The soldiers would remain here, in her village! Kami, what would they do? How would they fend off these armed men, and more importantly, would they bring back more when the other two returned? Heaven help them all if they did!  


 

"What is this?" Iku growled.

Oda Nobunaga looked at the crumpled picture of his miko being crushed in the youkai's hands. "What does it look like?"

Iku snarled and took a threatening step forward; however, a dozen sharp spears being thrust in his direction quickly stalled his approach. It annoyed him greatly that four of the soldiers were youkai; they were provided to the human daimyo by him and Mistress Asuza. He glared at them angrily, but it was clear that the gold lining Nobunaga's pockets had secured their loyalty.

"Tell me, Nobunaga, why you are risking all by this ridiculous search for a miko bitch!"

Nobunaga quelled the impulse to dispose of the impudent bird. He did not like the way Iku spoke of Kagome, and had the foul beast not been securely ensconced in Asuza's favor, he would have had him cut down, as was his right. After achieving a relative sense of calm, Oda addressed the bird's question. "There is no risk and my reasons are none of your concern."

Iku was infuriated with his answer, and the parchment crumbled to dust beneath the flare of his jyaki. "You would dare disobey Mistress Asuza? She is quite annoyed at your pathetic schemes to warm your bed with this miserable wench."

Oda had heard enough from him. He abruptly came to his feet regardless of the heavy weight of armor pulling him down. "Enough! The miko will be mine! My personal plans have no consequence to Asuza's future rule of the youkai realm. Her concern is unwarranted!"

Iku gave an irritated snort that suspiciously held a note of humor. He shook his head, sending long midnight blue hair shivering with the motion. "You have no idea of the game you play, human. The miko you seek is a dangerous foe. She escaped our dungeon not long ago with the assistance of two of her ladyship's greatest enemies. Draw the miko to you, and you risk bringing danger to our entire mission. I warn you. Mistress Asuza will not be pleased if you stray from her plans."

Oda took in this bit of information in contemplative silence. So the miko had been under his nose nearly the entire time—secured within Asuza's own dungeon. She was no longer there, unfortunately, so the search would continue as planned. He would not give up on adding the miko to his arsenal, and he would delight in finally adding her to his bed.

Nobunaga stepped down from his dais and faced the youkai known as Iku. He fought against the chill that crept over his flesh, attributing it to his in-depth knowledge of the bastard's sexual habits. While Oda was not opposed to enjoying the offerings of a young male bent on proving his allegiance, he never took a male by force. It was dishonorable and quite disgusting. The bird had a propensity to enjoy the rape of his conquests and that always served to unnerve him.

"Go and tell Asuza that this Nobunaga will not fail in his role. She need not worry over unimportant matters such as the miko."

Iku gave another sarcastic snort before doing an about-face and exiting the daimyo's home. Nothing he had said made any difference. The fool would still seek out the damned miko, even knowing that she had dangerous allies. It was folly for the man to chase her like a pup in heat. He would risk everything over the cunt of a woman, and it sickened him.  


 

He stumbled out of the dining hall, nearly knocking over a small table holding a valuable vase. With unsteady hands he reached out and snatched the piece of pottery just before it tumbled to the floor. After righting the table, he stomped down the corridor toward his goal. Tsuneo Okada had been made a fool of today! The people he had always known as friends had laughed in his face. Not one was willing to assist him in capturing the miko. They refused to be drawn into a plot against a holy priestess no matter if it meant his life!

Had she plotted to keep the miko from discovery?

His cloudy, drunken mind never considered the fact that Saya was unaware of his intention to turn the miko in to Oda Nobunaga. Tsuneo was awash with fury over his niece's betrayal. Knowing that his quarry had been so near, yet still managed to slip from his grasp made his blood boil. By the time he left the gambling house and began asking around for the miko, he had discovered that she was long gone. Apparently, she left with a large group of strangers, most of which were youkai.

The thought disgusted him. The whore was no true miko. An honorable priestess would have nothing to do with a filthy youkai. It only solidified his belief that he was right. She was a menace and deserved the fate he planned for her. Nobunaga-sama obviously wanted her for a good reason, and he would have been well compensated for turning her in.

Now he faced a death sentence. The soldiers would return, and without the miko, they would seek him out to deliver upon their threats. His world was crumbling, and it was all because of that damnable miko!

...And his insufferable, lying niece.

Saya was walking carefully down the hall after having just enjoyed a light noonday meal. She was counting her steps with a smile, thinking of the day before when she had spent an exhilarating afternoon with Kagome and her friends. It had been the most fun that she had in ages, and she had met some very interesting people. All in one day, she had been introduced to a monk, a real demon slayer, and a dragon! It was a day that she would never forget and always hold dear.

Inuyasha had been wonderful, too. Granted, he was rough around the edges, but she could tell that he was caring and kind beneath it all. She hoped that he would accompany Kagome on her next visit. She could hardly wait to be near him again.

"Well, Saya, it is about time you showed your traitorous face!"

"Uncle?" Saya said in surprise. She had not heard him approach, and he sounded very angry. There was also a distinctive slur to his voice that was obviously the result of too much sake. Saya backed up a step and softly asked, "Why are you angry with me?"

"Why? You know why, you little bitch! I saw the miko!"

Saya was more confused than ever. She was aware of her uncle's hatred of Inuyasha, but she had no idea why he would be angry over her friendship with Kagome. "I do not understand, uncle. Kagome is a nice person. She is my friend."

"Yes!" He shouted angrily. "A friend that you keep hidden from your very own uncle! Would you have the soldiers kill me, girl? I am the only reason you are not a beggar on the streets! I give you food and shelter! How dare you hide the miko from me!"

Saya did not understand what her uncle meant by his accusations and backed up further when she heard him stomping forward. "You are wrong, uncle! I have not been hiding Kagome-sama. I swear it. Why would soldiers kill you over Kagome? You are making no sense."

"You wretched, useless bitch! They will kill me if I do not tell them where she is! I swore to them that I knew where they could find her!"

Before Saya could register what his intentions were, her belligerent uncle punched her right in the face. Shocked, her cry was muffled when she fell to the floor. The impact left her mind completely rattled. He proceeded to kick her violently in the stomach. Despite her blindness, she tried to defend herself against the blows, but was unsuccessful. She could taste blood in her mouth, and she thought that he might have cracked her ribs with the kick of his boot. "Stop," she pleaded, but her voice fell on unsympathetic ears. Her uncle ruthlessly continued his onslaught until she was barely conscious.

Whether he grew bored or realized his terrible mistake, Saya was relieved to finally hear him curse and stomp away. She was left lying there in the hallway to suffer. It took her some time to gather her wits enough to move and pull herself up. She stumbled along, holding the wall and forcing her confused and shaken mind to count. At the steps, she stumbled, falling hard on her knee with a gasp of nearly overwhelming pain. She grabbed her sore ribs and tried to take small breaths until the intensity lessened, and she was able to continue.

Relief overwhelmed her when she finally reached her small room. She stumbled inside and closed the door behind her. This was not the first time that her uncle had turned on her in a drunken fury, but it was certainly the most severe. Never had he abused her so viciously.

Having finally arrived to the safety of her room, Saya's last reserve of strength gave out. Darkness rushed up to claim her and she collapsed into a boneless heap on the floor.  


 

The skies were clear, and the wind whipped against her face as Inuyasha bounded over the countryside. Above her she could see Sango and Miroku astride Kirara while Shippo floated alongside in the form of a large pink orb. In front of them sat Sesshomaru, mounted regally on the two-headed dragon while Lord Hyuuga stood arrogantly atop an icy cloud of black rolling thunder.

Kagome turned her focus from the sky above and spotted Uchuu, his uncle, and his brother racing over the forest on their youkai horses. They were beautiful and fast, leaping effortlessly over rivers and trees. Kouga ran just ahead of Inuyasha, his speed having been diminished since Naraku ripped the jewel shards from his legs, but still much faster than the average youkai. Trailing behind them all was Saburo and Yumiko. Saburo raced over the landscape atop his equestrian mount while his wife clutched desperately to his waist in attempts to keep her balance. With one last look over her shoulder, Kagome spotted Ginta and Hakaku panting at the rear. They were slower than the rest, but diligent in their strides.

As Inuyasha leaped over a fallen log, he suddenly stumbled to a halt. Kagome teetered on his back, barely able to hold on. "Hey, what's the big idea?" Inuyasha didn't answer her; he merely released one of her legs, reached up and smacked himself on the face. Kagome's confusion was evident, until she spotted the tiny flat body of a flea youkai floating down to land in the palm of Inuyasha's hand.

"Myoga?" Inuyasha snapped. "Where the hell have you been?"

Myoga took only a moment to pop back into his original form. "Master Inuyasha! I am so glad that I finally caught up to you."

"Oh yeah? I'm surprised you came at all. We haven't seen hide nor hair of you in weeks."

Myoga cleared his throat and fiddled around with his new straw hat. "Actually, I have just arrived back from a very restful tropical vacation."

"What? You mean we've been out here risking our asses all this time and you've been off enjoying yourself in the sun?" Inuyasha griped.

"Well, I...uh..." Myoga stuttered before finally coming out with it. "Hai! Forgive me master. I was unaware of the danger you were facing."

"Yeah right. You probably took off the minute you heard there was going to be a fight."

"I resent that!" Myoga cried as if the thought of cowardice was appalling to his tiny ears.

"Stop it, Inuyasha," Kagome chastised. "We have to get to the battle. Everyone will be waiting on us."

Myoga hopped up on Inuyasha's shoulder, and the half-demon grabbed Kagome's thigh before taking off again. "So, Myoga, why are you here?" Inuyasha was curious since the coward never would have risked himself by showing up before a battle unless it was important.

"I have come to warn you of the amulet that the demoness wears around her neck. You must be on guard, master Inuyasha, because the amulet gives her the power to control the minds of human and youkai."

"So tell me something that I don't already know."

Myoga looked taken aback. "So you are aware of the dangers then?"

"Yes!" Inuyasha replied at the same time Kagome chimed in.

"Perhaps you might like to know one other thing."

"Yeah, what's that?"

"Kagome-sama has become somewhat famous as of late. It seems that Oda Nobunaga has posted a warrant poster with her face on it all around this side of Japan!"

Inuyasha nearly fell flat on his face. "What the fuck?"

Kagome shivered with dread. She couldn't believe that the daimyo was still after her! Why couldn't he just leave her alone? "That's really bad news," she groaned into Inuyasha's neck.

"Tell me about it," Inuyasha growled. He could feel Kagome's anxious grip and knew that she was very worried over this new development. He narrowed his eyes and assured her, "I'll take care of him for you, Kagome. No one will threaten you while I'm alive!"

"You can't kill him, Inuyasha! It isn't his time! He should live for about six more years, and he is a key figure in uniting Japan. If you kill him now, the warring states could stay that way forever!"

Inuyasha hated it when she brought up that 'time' stuff. Just because she came from the future and knew what was going to happen before it happened meant that he couldn't protect her like he wanted to. With an angry curse he vowed, "I'll think of something."

"Thanks, Inuyasha," Kagome whispered as they neared the place where they would make their stand.

Myoga shrugged and grabbed up his tiny little pack. "Great. Well, good luck then!"

Inuyasha couldn't catch the runt before he was gone. He growled and shook his head. "That miserable coward is useless." Kagome laughed softly against his ear, and Inuyasha took that moment to appreciate the sound. He could not imagine being parted from Kagome. She was his strength and his pride. Whatever it takes, he would always protect her from harm. If he couldn't kill Oda Nobunaga, then he would have to find some other way.

Sesshomaru glanced down and spotted Inuyasha leaping over the obstacles in his path. It had taken a considerable amount of control not to interfere with Kagome's mode of travel. He knew that this was their norm, but it did not make it any less painful to bear. Seeing her so intimately clinging to the hanyou made his blood curdle in his veins. Knowing that Inuyasha's scent was contaminating hers was enough to drive him mad.

The taiyoukai turned his mind away from his chosen female and focused on the battle ahead. Already in the distance he could see the half-renovated castle of Asuza. Soon, Inuyasha and those on the ground would disappear into the forest to stealthily make their way closer to this side of the fortress. The demon slayer and monk, as well as Hyuuga and himself, would skirt around the castle boundaries to approach from the far side.

As the inevitable confrontation drew closer, Sesshomaru was faced with a problem that he had never faced before when going into battle. It was something that he had not been able to acknowledge until now, but as he grew closer to facing Iku and Asuza he could no longer deny the fear that he felt. The misgivings of putting his lot in with Hyuuga were now coming to the forefront of his mind. Deeply buried anxieties began playing havoc with his pulse. His heart was pounding in his chest, and there was a damnable ringing in his ears while unwelcome memories kept flashing before his eyes.

As he guided Ah-Un to land, Sesshomaru attempted to get a hold of himself. He needed a clear mind and a strong will in order to see this day through. He could not allow the horrors that he had experienced within that castle to reign free and destroy him. Complete control of his faculties was paramount in maintaining perfect form. Asuza had to die for her crimes. He had to be strong and face her.

"M...my lord?"

Sesshomaru realized that Jaken was speaking to him and looked down. Already his retainer had slipped from the dragon's back and was obviously wondering why he had not dismounted. The shaken taiyoukai swung his leg over and stepped to the ground. He tossed Jaken the reigns and headed wordlessly for the castle.

Jaken was confused over his master's hesitation. It was unlike Lord Sesshomaru to stall in an advance upon an enemy. His glorious master was only at the peak of perfection during battle. He decided to stick closely by his side and keep an eye out for anything strange. It had not escaped his notice that the taiyoukai had been acting out of sorts, and although he wasn't sure of the cause, he feared that it might have something to do with this castle.

As the trio approached the western side of Setoyama-Jo, Sesshomaru suddenly stopped in his tracks. He lifted his regal chin and delicately sniffed the air. A low growl rumbled from his chest, and Jaken looked up in mild surprise.

"The rot of death."

"What do you mean, master?" Jaken asked. It was not unusual to smell death in this time of wars and strife. Why would Lord Sesshomaru take this particular moment to become disturbed by the stench? After reaching the edge of the forest, Jaken understood why. He looked away from the grisly sight and found Lord Sesshomaru staring at it with furious red eyes.

It was her. Sesshomaru wanted to believe that he was wrong, but even the stink of death could not hide the truth. His claws began to drip noxious poison as he stared at the gruesome display. There was no saving the girl now. Chisumi had been killed in a most horrifying way. Impaled—her tiny body twisted and mangled around the long sharp stake jutting from her left shoulder. The death had obviously been a slow and painful one.

Images of the girl offering him a soft smile flashed across his mind. He remembered her embarrassed flush when she saw him unclothed. Her soft laughter echoed in his ears as he thought of the day she walked in on him holding Kagome. Chisumi's steel resolve to assist in their escape had given him freedom from Iku and Asuza's clutches. He had promised her that he would come back for her. He had sworn to take her away from this place.

Now, she would never leave. Her chance for freedom had been ripped away. Not only had she been slain, but she had been tortured in a most gruesome manner. Rage consumed him. He could feel the fires of retribution singing within his veins. It was an all-powerful need to thrash and tear until the blood of his enemy soaked his claws and fangs.

He stepped forward, emerging from the trees and into the light. His presence was enough to sound the alarms sending the wretches running for their lives. It was only a matter of moments and Asuza appeared atop the highest peak of the guard's watchtower. She stood brazenly unafraid as she faced those that had come seeking her life.

"Ah!" Asuza called in a loud voice that carried even over the grassy glade. "I see my pet has returned. Did you miss me, Sesshomaru? Have you come out to play?"

"You will pay for what you have done!"

Asuza merely laughed at the taiyoukai. She had no reason to fear him or any of the fools approaching her castle. Oh, she was aware of them. She could feel their demonic presence lingering just out of sight. It was Sesshomaru, however, that she would torment to her advantage. She motioned to the dead thing that had been carefully staked outside of the castle gates. "Do you not appreciate a work of art, Sesshomaru? It took days for it to die."

He wanted to swoop in for an attack, but at the back of his enraged mind, he still knew there was a strategy to be followed. He could not proceed until the signal was given. It would ruin the mission and that was exactly what Asuza wanted him to do.

"Aw...you disappoint me, Sesshomaru. Why, I spent a marvelous year residing with a brilliant warlord by the name of Vlad Tepes in order to learn how to properly orchestrate an impalement. The European country, Romania, was in the midst of a rather magnificent war. Squalid little place, really. I believe it was somewhere around 1462, when I was returning from the jungles of South America where I took possession of the jewel. Yes, Vlad was a genius of torture. I learned much from him, and in return, I aided his cause. Together, we once impaled over twenty thousand humans. Ah...it was a day to remember always."

"You disgusting monster!"

All eyes turned at once to the sound of Kagome's screaming voice. She had heard enough of that sickening demon droning on and on! The words had barely left her mouth when she released her flaming pink hamaya. The blaze of her purification was nearly blinding even in the afternoon sunlight.

The queue had come! Sesshomaru would have to wait no more. The allies were in position, and it was time to strike. He moved over the open field of dry grasses with unimaginable speed, not stopping until he had Asuza's vermilion eyes locked in his sight. As he traversed the obstacles standing in his way, he saw the white blur of Hyuuga running alongside.

The purifying arrow forced Asuza to take action, and she ducked to the right. Sesshomaru raised his sword to take advantage, bringing it down in a powerful arc intended to slice her torso completely in two.

Unfortunately, the clang of metal and the bite of failure rang loudly in his ears. Asuza stood laughing just in front of him as Sesshomaru realized what —or who—had stopped his attack.  


 

AN: I know, I know. There will be rotten fruit and vegetables thrown at me over this little cliffhanger. Sorry folks. The chapter has to end somewhere. It is already over 12,000 words long. I hope that you enjoyed it, and that there were not too many tears shed. I know that you all had hoped for Chisumi to be freed. Unfortunately, it was simply not to be. As you know, the next chapter will be the battle between Asuza and the allies. Sesshomaru will face danger from all sides while Kagome and the others fight to save the world from Asuza's warped rule. I hope that you will join me then!