InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wading In Too Far ❯ Until Night ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wading In Too Far
 
 
Disclaimer: I do Not own InuYasha
 
Summary: The group comes across Naraku again, but this time Kikyo helps him, and sends Kagome to a place between hell and earth. So begins the start of a prophecy. InuKag, MirSan, Sess?
 
Hey everyone! This is my first story on mediaminer.org, as I have already posted most of the story on fanfiction.net, if you wish to read ahead of what I have updated on this site. Um, it was recommended that I do this, to spread my story around. So, here it is.
 
Chapter 1: Until Night
 
“InuYasha?”
 
Kagome looked up into the high and wide branches of Goshinboku, worry obvious in her brown eyes, searching for her hanyou. Tonight was the full moon, and she had no idea where he had run off too. He had said early in the morning that he would be back after a long run.
 
She didn't blame him; after all they had just gotten over a long and tedious battle against Naraku. Sadly, they had somewhat lost, and were recovering. InuYasha had stayed faithfully by her side until she had regained consciousness (which had been four some days after the battle), and watched her as she healed. She was confused and excited by these actions all the same, and smiled a little at how complicated he was.
 
She sat at the base of the tree and exhaled deeply. She was worried; he had been gone all day, even though she had called for him. He normally came running back to her, normally in fear of her safety, but he had stayed away this time, and some many thoughts flowed through her mind.
 
No! Get that thought out of your mind. InuYasha can't be with her. No, I can't believe he would go to her again. He said he wouldn't. But, he loves her. He loves her so much. Just like I love him.”
 
Kagome sighed, hoping he wouldn't be with that dead clay-pot. But who was she to judge? She knew Kikyo loved InuYasha once, and she didn't doubt she still did, even beneath that harsh cold exterior.
 
Kagome leaned further against the tree, and let the wind rustle her ebony locks, swaying them around her shoulders. She closed her eyes for a few moments, resting her throat, and she promised herself that she would look for him once again in a few moments.
 
She heard the leaves shake gently, swaying with the wind, and the heat from rays of sunlight bathed her legs and mid section, warming her to the core. She opened her eyes, looking up into the tree again, and to her surprise, she saw InuYasha staring down at her, his amber orbs staring at her curiously.
 
InuYasha smirked, “Wench, what are you gawking at?”
 
Kagome smiled a little, trying to hide the light pink blush forming across her face. She hadn't been aware she had been staring into his eyes. She swore for a few moments, that InuYasha had let her see into his soul, and she knew that he was showing more emotion (and overconfidence) to her each and every day.
 
She was pleased that he trusted her enough to open up, and let his real side show through, not that `I'm better than you, so I'll kick your ass' façade. She sighed as a memory from a long time ago floated through her mind subconsciously.
 
::Flashback::
 
Kagome snuck up behind InuYasha, who was sitting unusually quiet by the fire. She knelt beside him, his haori soft and thick as she laid her face against it, snuggling into his warmth. He tensed beneath her touch, but was soon so relaxed that he was putting his chin on top of hers.
 
They sat like that for a few moments, knowing no one was there to watch their unusual behavior, and straightforward emotion and actions. Sango had gone back to her village to repair her Hiraikotsu, Miroku had gone to the next village to buy some more supplies, but everyone knew he was scoping out the women, and Shippo lay sleeping in Kagome's sleeping bag (which he had taken a straight liking to).
 
The fire reflected off of their faces, the silence around them drew in a relaxing atmosphere. InuYasha said quietly, his voice somewhat deep and moving, “Why do you stay here when danger is always around you? It's safer in your time.”
 
Kagome hadn't been prepared for that question, and she let it sink in. Why was she here? Why did she stay? Well, she stayed because of her obligation to fulfill the Shikon No Tama; one, which she had accidentally, broke into hundreds of pieces. She stayed also, (not that she was going to tell him this) was because InuYasha kept her here. She loved him more than anything, and even if her love was one sided, she would remain at his side, just as she had stated in her promise long ago.
 
She replied softly, thinking it over as she talked, “I stay because of my duty to complete and purify the Shikon, obviously. But I have other reasons too. But… I know you'll protect me, and I'm not always that helpless, so I guess I don't mind being in danger all the time. Sometimes I like my breaks from it all, but in reality, I prefer it here than my own era.”
 
Silence followed her heart-spoken words, and even if she left out the part of her promise to InuYasha, she felt every other part of her little speech, and it was true. She preferred it here. She would miss her family on occasion, and school… she was starting to think it was far too behind to ever catch up again anyway.
 
InuYasha wrapped his haori around her, and she snuggled in deeper. Although she had shown no signs of being cold, perhaps it was second nature for him to do that now. InuYasha looked away, blushing, as he spoke gruffly, “I'm glad you like it here, and I don't want you to leave.”
 
She remained silent as his words but leaned against him, almost as a hug, but to her, it was something much more than that. It was her way of saying, “I don't ever want you to be alone.”
 
::End Flashback::
 
“Oi! Wench! …… Kagome?”
 
Kagome blinked, and her gaze refocused on the hanyou of her memory, his silver hair flowing around him, much like her raven hair was, and his eyes showed some hints of amusement, swirled in with could possibly be… worry?
 
“Sorry, I was daydreaming,” she replied with a genuine smile. He replied with a curt but amused, “Feh.” She smiled again, and returned to looking at the trees around her, breathing in fresh air, relaxing once more. Her heart felt lighter knowing InuYasha had returned, and was sitting above her, keeping her safe from some unknown evil.
 
She loved InuYasha, and her heart dropped a little. He could never love her, the reincarnation of a past love. All he would ever see in her was Kikyo, and somehow, she had come to terms with it. Perhaps she understood, but she disliked it as well. She was her own person, no other, and she didn't like being compared.
 
She didn't belong here anyways; she was a girl from 500 years into the future, something so much more complex, more sinister and disastrous. She had to admit; her time was full of corruption, hate and held no compassion. Here, life continued even if there was death, and still remained beautiful and simple. She loved it here, more than any other place in her time, and was exceptionally thankful she was allowed to cross between times.
 
Kagome blinked, InuYasha still sitting above her. She smiled a little at her delayed comment, “So, there you were. I was looking everywhere for you. You are one hanyou that is way too hard to find.”
 
InuYasha's POV
 
(Before Kagome came)
 
Staring up at the sky, I watched as the sun began its dissent, into blackness. The full moon would rule the night, and my demon blood would be stronger tonight.
 
I looked down into the ground beneath the height, and knew Kagome would be coming here soon, as it is my favorite place to come and escape reality. This time, I was in hiding, and I refused to understand why the real reason was for doing it in the first place.
 
My subconscious reigned in my mind, arguing with me, and I had to sit and listen to it go on and on.
 
“You know, you're being a real idiot!”
 
WHAT! I AM NOT! …How?
 
“Because your hiding from the girl you truly love. Your scared you're going to open up to her tonight.”
 
I am not hiding from Kagome…
 
“So you admit you love her then?”
 
NO! I thought I loved Kikyo.
 
Thought?
 
I don't know anymore…
 
I felt my heart drop into my stomach, knowing I did love someone, but it just couldn't work out. It could never, be something. Ever.
 
“You love Kagome more, you jerk! You've known it since she first smiled at you, and didn't run away from you!”
 
I CANT LOVE HER!
 
“Why not?”
 
Because… she deserves someone better than me.
 
“Speaking of Kagome, here she comes. Better hide InuYasha, since that's what you want, right?”
 
It was true, as I smelled the air, noticing Kagome's oncoming scent. Her scent smelled of jasmine and mint, making my skin crawl with delight. It was intoxicating, and I inhaled deeply.
 
Realizing what I was doing, I jumped from Goshinboku as I heard her footsteps reach the base of the tree, and landed in another tree beside the great Sacred Tree.
 
Her chocolate brown eyes searched for me, but I did not let her recognize my presence, and as she let out my name as if worried, my heartbeat sped up.
 
I could tell just by her voice that she was worried. I worried her? Am I really that important to her? I don't know why exactly, but my heart jumped, and I thought, maybe, just maybe she could…
 
“HA! I told you, you do love her!”
 
I looked down on the raven-haired beauty, and frowned slightly. I don't know when it happened, and I couldn't understand why it happened, but maybe when I started to accept her as her own person, I fell in love with her. She was beautiful, self giving, caring, loyal, truthful, innocent, and even though she was sometimes weak, her battle skills needed work, and her whininess sometimes nags me, but other than that, it was all Kagome. It was who she was, and knowing I wouldn't have her any other way, I smirked a little.
 
My mind began to wander as she sat at the base of the tree, and thought, “Could she ever love me?” As if by second nature, thoughts of being a half demon reclined in my mind, telling me I was worthless and stupid, only a half-breed. I knew Kagome… and she accepted me for who I was. She never reclined at my presence, and when she found out who and what I was, she embraced me for it. This was just so… confusing.
 
Not knowing what else to do, and not wanting to start thinking up stupid realities, I jumped back into Goshinboku, sitting in my favorite branch, looking down at her. She seemed so relaxed, so peaceful. With her eyes closed, the setting sun's last rays of light stretched over her body, her ebony locks twirling around her shoulders, she looked like an angel. Even in that somewhat bloodied uniform of hers.
 
He frowned again. That battle with Naraku had been rough on all of them, and Kagome had taken a large blow. He refused to let her go home and change, and still he wouldn't let her take a bath. He was just worried she would disappear on him again.
 
My heart practically stopped when she opened her chocolate brown eyes and blinked at me, a small smile gracing her features. He tried to stop the feeling he got with that smile, so he said the first thing that came to his mind, “Wench, what are you gawking at?”
 
To my surprise, she bent her head down to stop me from seeing the blush on her cheeks. She looks so pretty when she blushes, her modesty is sometimes so adorable; at others it's tormenting to see the beautiful look on her face, knowing she was untouchable. We remained in silence for a while longer, and soon my curiosity got the better of me.
 
I asked loudly, “Oi, Wench!” and with no reply to that, my heart began thumping louder. Was she possessed? She always responds to my comments, so this time, I asked a little more worried, “…Kagome?”
 
That seemed to snap her out of it, and she smiled again, but replied, “Sorry, I was daydreaming.” My mind whirled in confusion. Day dreaming? Sure the girl always had her head in the clouds, but this time, I wondered what she could have possibly thought about. I replied, knowing I shouldn't delay on my response, “Feh.”
 
Another comfortable silence overcame us, and she settled deeper into a hollow of Goshinboku. Soon, true to her personality, Kagome said amused, “So, there you were. I was looking everywhere for you. You are one hanyou that is way too hard to find.”
 
Normal POV
 
“So, there you were. I was looking everywhere for you. You are one hanyou that is way too hard to find.”
 
“Feh.”
 
Kagome said, her eyes looking skywards at the inu hanyou, said sincerely, “I was worried about you.”
 
Looking down to meet Kagome's gaze, InuYasha saw Kagome's cheek's flush a light pink once more, waiting for some kind of angry response.
 
“She looks so pretty when she blushes”
 
Snapping out of space, InuYasha replied, “What? Why? You know I'm more than capable of taking care of myself you stupid human wench.”
 
InuYasha instantly regretted his words as Kagome stood up abruptly. He could sense her hurt, and knew he shouldn't have said that. Kagome was tender on subjects like this, and hated being ridiculed. She said meekly, shame linked with her words, “Is that all I am to you? A stupid human wench? I always thought I was just the jewel shard collector, but I guess you can add that on too.”
 
Stunned by her angry and sensitive words, he jumped from Goshinboku, only for her to recoil away from him, and he felt his heart break somewhat. Hurting her… he always seemed to be doing that! He wanted to pull her into his arms and assure her that she was anything but a stupid human wench that was more than any jewel shard collector.
 
Maybe it had started out that way, but his feelings had changed, and she was considered highly in his eyes, if only he could tell her that.
 
InuYasha slowly followed her back to camp, wondering why she didn't `sit' him.
 
Maybe he had finally worn her out. Maybe he had hurt her too many times. Maybe she just didn't have the heart to fight back.
 
InuYasha slowly walked far enough behind her that she would be safe from hidden demons, and that she could keep her personal space. He hated to think that she was silently crying inside because of his words. Self-loathing swept through him, and it told him how pathetic he really was. He tried to hide his real feelings, and in doing so he hurt the one he was supposed to protect. Maybe, for as long as he had demonic blood flowing through him, he would always be hurting her.
 
Kagome stopped walking, gazing up at the sunset, and sighed. She whispered, “InuYasha, come here.”
 
Trudging noiselessly to where Kagome stood, InuYasha apologized, “I'm sorry…” but was cut off by Kagome, who looked up at the sky, not at him, “Don't say things you don't mean InuYasha. Don't. I know you meant I'm a stupid and weak wench. But, I guess it hurts. I thought I had changed for the better, but maybe I haven't. I'm still that weak little girl from when I first met you.”
 
Silence.
 
InuYasha sighed and looked up at the sky too, now thinking about what she said. He knew everything she had just said about herself was all untrue. She had become a stronger girl than she ever had been. She had changed for the better, becoming skilled at the bow and arrow, loving and accepting those who were hated and disowned, having the courage to continue fighting by his side when she knew that she could die any day, and leaving her entire life behind to finish a jewel.
 
InuYasha looked down at the calm girl beside him, who had now walked away from him. He sensed betrayal in her aura. He hadn't responded. He hadn't screamed at her and told her she was all wrong. He wanted too. He really did. But the demon part of him had its pride, and he always had trouble apologizing.
 
The sun set in the distance, the faint oranges and pinks replaced by the darkness of the moon filled night.
 
Kagome stopped, to turn around and face the hanyou who was so dear to her heart. She knew better than anyone his comments meant nothing, but it didn't mean that they didn't hurt.
 
Sighing, Kagome asked once more, “What am I to you?”
 
Becoming uncomfortable, but knowing he couldn't get angry with her for asking, he replied gruffly, “Kagome…” But it became silent after that in the InuYasha Forest, neither Kagome nor InuYasha saying anything. He could feel the tension in the air, the dependence on the question. He wanted to say so much to her, but he couldn't allow it. He would just scare her away.
 
She sighed once more, and turned to walk away from the nervous hanyou, but was stopped, when he blurted out, “My friend.” He hadn't wanted her to go, and that was as close to the truth as she would ever know.
 
She turned to look at him, her eyes beaming, a genuine smile spread over her features. She whispered, even though he caught every word, “Really?” he looked away, unable to look her in the eye, the feeling in his stomach twirling and twisting into knots.
 
He felt a warm hand on his shoulder, not noticing her sudden arrival. Looking down, he was assaulted by many emotions, many overwhelming him. Her eyes spoke volumes, about how happy his answer made her.
 
“I'm glad.”
 
He smirked, and taunted, “Don't go all wishy washy on me wench!” Kagome giggled, and paused, before saying, “I have to give you something.”
 
Surprised by her words, he trailed after he silently, watching her as he approached camp quickly. What could she possibly want to give him? He wasn't sure, and that was what made him nervous. Whatever it was, it sounded important.
 
XxXxXxX
 
 
Um, if your reading this, thanks for reading the first chapter to the story. This chapter was edited, unlike my other account. Thanks for reading. Please, could you review? Thanks!
 
As always,
 
secretshadows