InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wading In Too Far ❯ A Necklace of Trust ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wading In Too Far
 
Disclaimer: I do Not Own InuYasha…
 
Summary: The group comes across Naraku again, but this time Kikyo helps him, and sends Kagome to a place between hell and earth. So begins the start of a prophecy. InuKag MirSan Sess?
 
Here is the second chapter, and please keep in mind that this timeline applies to this Fanfiction only.
 
Chapter 2: A Necklace Of Trust
 
InuYasha gazed at her oddly, curiosity flowing through him, his mind working over time. How and when had she got him something? He voiced his question, “When did you get me something? And… why would you give me something anyway. Its not like I need anything.”
 
Kagome began walking back in the direction of camp, and said quietly as InuYasha joined her by her side, “I know you always do much for me, and maybe… maybe I just felt like giving you something.”
 
InuYasha accepted her answer when they reached camp, staying away from the firelight, so he wouldn't be seen easily. Kagome looked at him briefly and with a step forwards, she emerged from the forest.
 
Kagome looked at the fireside, seeing both Sango and Miroku, and thankfully the lecherous houshi kept his wandering hand to himself. Kagome smiled inwardly when she saw Sango give a good-natured laugh at the monk's story, and continued her walk to her yellow backpack. They were definitely an odd couple, Sango and Miroku, but they deserved each other; if the monk learned to keep his perverted ways to himself, and not bother any other women or Sango like that. She sighed with relief when they only looked up to recognize her. She really didn't want to interrupt their conversation.
 
It was the first time in a long time they had a real conversation, one that didn't revolve around a shout of hentai and a long echoing slap.
 
Kagome made it to her backpack, which was leaning against a tree, and opened it quickly. Rummaging around for a while, until she came upon the object she was looking for, she pulled out a rather worn out black leather bound journal, and a pen that matched. Retrieving what she needed, Kagome smiled at a blushing Sango, and walked out of camp.
 
She made it to InuYasha who had decided to stay hidden, and she smiled up at him. Shifting her belongings into one arm (which she had done for so long during school) she took InuYasha's hand in her own, and pulled him along. He made no complaint, and timidly held her hand back.
It came across as no surprise when Kagome returned to their favorite spot, underneath Goshinboku. She gave his hand a small squeeze, and released it, freeing herself from his overwhelming presence.
 
Knowing InuYasha, she walked towards the giant roots of the big tree. She rested her hand against the mark where InuYasha had been pinned for 50 years, trapped here by Kikyo's arrow. She smiled a little when she remembered why she really was here, and with that, bringing the journal with her.
 
She murmured, unaware InuYasha had stepped beside her, “This is where we first met.”
 
Looking at the same mark on the tree, InuYasha replied, eying Kagome's hand that rested on his resting place, “Yeah. So?”
 
Kagome gave a giggle, any anger or hurt towards to hanyou gone. She sighed, “Always one to argue, weren't you?” he gave his usual reply of “feh”, and watched as Kagome sat down on a huge root beneath the marking.
 
Walking in front of Kagome, InuYasha stood impatiently, as Kagome opened the book she had treasured for so many years, held in her grasp tenderly.
 
Kagome said softly, “I've had this book for so many years, and I've written every good and bad thing that has happened to me in here. In a way, this is my life's story. I have only one page left in the entire book.”
 
InuYasha looked at the book as Kagome flipped through pages filled with black ink lettering, all looking somewhat scribbled and hurried.
 
She flipped all the way to the back of the book, where a necklace used as a page marker lay neatly in the crease of the two pages. The actual necklace had been her fathers dog tag necklace, the only thing she had left of him.
 
She smiled as she lifted it up, and ran her fingers over the engraved tags and said softly, “This was my father's. He was in the army, but died in an accident bombing. They only found this, not even his body remained. The only thing left of him was this and the pictures at home of him. And even with pictures, we don't have many.”
 
InuYasha wondered why she was telling him all this, even though he was intrigued deeply. So Kagome had lost someone she loved as well as he had. She had lost her only father, and all she had left to prove she had one was the necklace and some pictures. He didn't know what bombing meant, and assumed pictures were what Shippo drew daily, and he supposed it didn't really matter how he died, but that he was dead anyway.
 
“So, why are you telling me all this?” InuYasha asked more gruffly than he meant.
 
Kagome let a tear escape her eyes and said, “Shippo was curious a little while ago, and I thought you may have been too. I dunno, maybe I just felt I could trust you enough to tell you all of this. Maybe you care a little about me to try and understand.”
 
Shocked, he hadn't quite understood how much this had affected her. He had wondered, he always was curious when he went to Kagome's era, always looking for a father figure, but never found one. He had simply never asked, in fear of getting `sat' for his curiosity. He replied curtly, “I do, geeze, wench. Why do you think I save you all the time?”
 
She smiled weakly, ignoring the brutality of the words, then said, “It's the anniversary of the day we met InuYasha. It's been 2 whole years. I want you to write something to me on the last page of my book.”
 
Not only was it their anniversary, but it was also her birthday, not like she was going to tell him that. He already had enough on his plate to deal with than to comprehend that today was her birthday. Besides, it wasn't that important.
 
Somewhere along that line, Kagome knew she was lying to herself.
 
He said surprised, “Two years? Wow, I never knew.”
 
She nodded her head, and stood up, walking towards him. She let another tear drip, but smiled through it. She took to book and placed it gently against his chest, and said, “Please write something. Anything. So when the jewel is complete, I can remember you.” With that she shoved three items into his hands; the journal, the pen and the dog tag necklace.
 
He stood, shocked, as his clawed hands clutched these belongings closer to his chest. He watched with worry as she ran away, tears rolling down her cheeks freely, and he wondered why she would cry.
 
He looked down into the possessions he now held carefully in his grip. A black leather book, something that was obviously important to Kagome, and that necklace, which was also extremely important. These things were treasures to Kagome.
 
He stared at it carefully, and ran his clawed finger over the necklace gently. He remembered her wearing it once, when a battle was raging, and it was looking bad for the group. Kagome had fallen to the ground, and the necklace was on the ground in front of her, although still around her neck. It was tangled with the jewel shards bottle. She had saved them all that day, but firing one of her arrows and saving Sango from death. That day had been pure horror, but worthwhile when they retrieved four sacred jewel shards. Apparently the monster had killed a human and two youkai in order to get them. He sighed as his gaze turned to the book.
 
So much suffering and death over such a jewel that contained so much power.
 
He looked at the worn out leather book. It was well worn; patches of grey lined over the cover, and the pages were a little dirty and faded. Otherwise, it looked to be in good condition, supposedly after all the time Kagome had had it.
 
InuYasha sat down on one of the Sacred God tree's roots, and took the journal carefully. He placed the necklace around his neck, and held the pen in his right hand, while flipping through the hard cover of the journal open with his left.
 
He somewhat understood the characters Kagome used, and was thankful his mother had taught him how to read and write before she died. At her death, his heart saddened, but continued to read the characters slowly so he could understand them.
 
May 18, 1996
 
Today, it was daddy's day to come home. I was looking forward to it, but he never came home. Mommy said Daddy died in a accident, and left me this. This necklace. I cried with Mommy as she held me, and now, I can't believe he's gone. He left me and mommy, and Souta who's only 5. I'm eleven, and daddy left me. He was supposed to take me to the Sakura Festival tomorrow, but he never will. I guess daddy won't ever be here anymore. He left mommy, Souta and me all alone. I can't ever forgive him! I wont ever forgive him. EVER!
 
Kagome
 
InuYasha couldn't believe what he had read. What happened to his sweet and understanding Kagome? Ignoring the first page, he flipped through the book, until right before the middle of the book. He began reading:
 
February 14th, 1999
 
Dear Diary,
 
Yesterday was my birthday. I am now officially 14. Hojou asked me to the Valentine's dance on my birthday, and I agreed. I mean, he is a nice guy and all. I think I may even like him. But it seems that I'm missing something. I feel so hollow sometimes. Like there's an empty feeling in my heart. I mourn the death of dad everyday, but it gives me strength to take each step. In some strange way, my life has changed so dramatically, not even I realized how much. I mean, guys are starting to notice me, and I finally have friends after so many years. But dad… I miss him so much. Mom and Souta have become distant, and quiet. I was like that too, until I when into junior high, until I met my friends. They don't know about dad or anything, I don't trust them enough to understand, but that doesn't matter. At least I have friends.
But still that one hollow part of me, its so… brutal sometimes. So harsh on my body, I cry for absolutely no reason, although maybe there is. I'm lonely and scared. I haven't trusted anyone since dad died. Not even mom and Souta. Gramps is coming to live with us and help take care of the shrine, still… I don't trust him either. Why am I so foolish? I'm so scared of someone dying! Someone important to me dying! But what I ask myself everyday, is why? But lets not think of it now, I have a dance to get ready for. Although, between you, and me diary, I never wanted to go in the first place. :)
 
Kagome
 
InuYasha stared at the page in shock. Didn't she just say in this… passage, that she never trusted anyone? Isn't that what it said?
 
He re-looked over it, and saw it was true. She had never trusted anyone. Yet, didn't she just say moments ago, in real life, in the flesh, that she trusted him? That she trusted him with these belongings? So, was he the first person she ever trusted? He smiled a little, knowing maybe he was more than just something to her. Maybe he was something more.
 
Wanting an answer, InuYasha flipped to the last page in the book with writing, which, just like Kagome had said, was the last of two pages. He realized this was a longer passage, and wanted to make sure he read it carefully.
 
July 24th, 2004
 
Dear Diary,
 
Today is the day before me and InuYasha's anniversary. Not like were married or anything, but from when we first met. Its seems so long ago that I unpinned him from the tree, and on our journey we met Sango, Miroku and Shippo. I know in InuYasha's opinion its bad that I shattered the Shikon-No-Tama but for me, it was one of the best things that have ever happened to me since dad died. I found people who really love me, and care about me, although I wonder about InuYasha. Underneath that tough guy act, he is such a softie, although according to him his inner demon forbids it. Meh. I don't believe him, he just like acting tough. Oh well.
 
Shippo… my dearest baby. In a way he is my baby, and I love him to bits. The reason I think of him now, is that he's lying in my sleeping bag beside me, as I write in the firelight. He asked me today about my family. I almost cried. I had never really told anyone about dad. Its because I don't trust that easy. Or rather, I didn't. Ever since I've been coming here, I trust almost everyone, well… except people with demonic auras :)
 
I know it bugs InuYasha senseless when I talk to Koga, but he's sweet. Too sweet sometimes, but still, sweet. Although, I never could love him. Ever. Since I already love InuYasha. I wonder what InuYasha would do if he ever found out. Maybe he would shun me from the group. Nah, Sango would always come with me, and so would Shippo. Still, I don't want him to hate me because I love him. I think he still sees parts of Kikyo in me, and it hurts a lot. I hate to be compared, and when I am compared to her, I just get angry. We are two totally different people, not the same. Even if I share the same soul, our minds are different.
 
Hmm, he's looking at me; I can feel his hot gaze on my back, looking down from the tree.
 
…I really love him. And I trust him too. He's the first person I ever trusted since, you know, but still. Something is nagging me…
 
Rejection
 
I don't want InuYasha to hate me. That would be as bad as him dying. I know he still probably loves Kikyo, and I'm almost positive she loves him, even though she hates him, well… that made no sense, but it's the way it is. Geeze, if anyone ever found this journal and read it, they'd think I'm crazy. But, I have to wonder sometimes, if he even feels anything towards me…Friendship, love, anything…
 
Hehehe, I just would think it funny if InuYasha would be nice to Shippo. In a way, InuYasha is like Shippo's adoptive father, and he should treat him better. It would save him so many `sits'.
 
Hmm, speaking of sits, I am trying so hard not to sit InuYasha, since I feel so guilty. I've been overusing the rosary, but it's saved his life a few times. I'll hate it when I'll have to take it off him, so he can live in peace, when the Shikon-No-Tama is complete. I really wish he wouldn't turn into a full demon. He doesn't recognize any one of us when he does, and he scares me. It's not InuYasha that frightens me either, which is weird. It's his demon blood I fear, for turning him into such a beast.
 
I better go, InuYasha is yelling at me to get some sleep.
 
Kagome”
 
InuYasha stared at the page in shock, rereading it to make sure he read it correctly. She had said in this book thing, that she loved him, out of everyone. She loved him. Not Koga, hobo guy, him…
 
The half-breed. The hanyou. The beast.
 
She loved him.
 
She loved him.
 
He wanted to run to her immediately and hug her and kiss her, and tell her how much he loved her back.
 
Realizing what he had just thought, he cursed under his breath. Although he loved her, no way was he going to admit it to her
 
………………………&# 8230;..yet.
 
He ran his fingers over the page, and once again the words Since I already love InuYasha.
 
He smiled at that, and flipped the book to its last page, and saw it was almost entirely blank, except for one line at the top,
 
“This is for you InuYasha. This is your place.”
 
He wondered if she meant more in the phrase. This is your place? What did she mean about that? He would have to ask her later.
 
He stared at the page, and began wondering, what would he write in it?
 
He stared thoughtfully at the light-filled, night sky and sighed. She was important. And he didn't want to screw this up. This was something she would keep forever, and it would remind her of him.
 
He sat up from the root with a flash. Words from earlier that night replaying instantly in his mind, “Please write something. Anything. So when the jewel is complete, I can remember you.” When the jewel is complete? He stared angrily at the air in front of him. She would be leaving. He had totally forgotten. Kagome would go home through the well and never return. Never return to her precious hanyou. He growled in frustration.
 
She would leave, and would never come back. He would die a lonely and probably brutal death, all alone. He didn't know how to take out his frustration, so he flopped onto the ground at the tree again.
 
He stared at the book in his hands, silently cursing it for making him speechless. He needed to write something worthwhile, important, a small treasure. Something that told her right away that it was him who wrote this. It finally struck him. He knew what he would write!
 
Scribbling madly, and a little sloppily with a pen, since he hadn't used an actual pen before, and the fact he hadn't written in so long, it came out messily, but still legible. When he finished, the characters looked really sloppy and crooked, but still… it made out its message well enough.
 
The camp was actually not far from Kaede's, but Kagome had insisted they sleep outside. Yet, here she was, with Sango and Miroku, waiting up for him, wondering why he was out so late. Only Kagome knew.
 
The fire was dimming, and watching from the forest line, InuYasha watched as Sango said goodnight to Miroku and Kagome, and fell asleep by the fire, making sure Miroku was far enough away from her.
 
Miroku looked sadly at Sango, and then said, “Miss. Kagome, I will be retiring as well, will you be soon?”
 
Kagome smiled and said, “Enough with formalities Miroku. I am Kagome. Not Miss. Kagome. After all were friends, not some lords and ladies.”
 
Giggling to herself Kagome answered the houshi's first question, “Yeah I'll sleep now too, since InuYasha isn't back yet.”
 
Miroku nodded his head, and smiled saying, “As you wish… Kagome.”
 
Kagome rolled her eyes then quietly walked to her sleeping bag. She picked Shippo up tenderly, and then crawled in herself, with Shippo snug against her chest.
 
InuYasha smiled and then crept out of the forest, making sure the monk, slayer, kit and Kagome were asleep, and walked towards the girl in the sleeping bag.
 
Kneeling beside her, he placed the book beside her face, so when she woke up, she would see it. He smiled, and pushed away her bangs that had fallen carelessly into her eyes. He smiled just a little more than usual, and walked to the nearest tree by Kagome. He sat down, closing his heavy eyes, unaware that a certain slayer was watching him carefully, all the while with a smile graced upon her delicate features.
 
XxXxXxX
 
I am so mean cause I bet your all wondering what InuYasha wrote in that journal, eh? Promise, it's in the next chapter. So R&R, and then I'll be all happy… lol. Not like you care anyways.
 
secretshadows