InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Wake Me Up Inside ❯ Chapter 17

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Wake Me Up Inside
 
Chapter 17
 
 
Disclaimer: I don't own them. I just play with them.
 
Japanese Glossery
 
Onegai - Non-formal version of onegaishimasu meaning “please”
Baka - synonymous to idiot, dummy, fool, etc.
 
Beta-read by: DarklessVasion
 
--------------------------------------------------------------
 
After a very filling and lengthy dinner with most pleasant company, Keito finally rounded up his troop. Fond farewells were exchanged before Zach, Dave, and Kagome piled back into Keito's car. Keito gave Niki one last noogie then joined them.
 
A quick five minute trip across town allowed Keito to drop the guys off at his apartment. Then, he set out to drive Kagome back to the hospice. Giddy at the chance to talk to her one on one, Keito struck up a conversation not long after leaving his driveway.
 
“Well, that certainly went over well. You'll definitely have to come back more often!” he grinned.
 
“I'd like that. That was a lot of fun. Do you mind if I pass on Suzuna's number to Mama? I'm sure they would enjoy a friendship with each other,” Kagome smiled, a warm fuzzy feeling having grown inside her within minutes of meeting Keito's family.
 
“Oh, sure! Have at it!” Keito replied chipperly.
 
“You're right. You're mom's an excellent cook. I'll have to bug her for the recipe to that one she did tonight,” Kagome told him as she slouched in her chair lethargically. She quietly squelched a yawn.
 
“You'll most likely have to work at that one. She's good at keeping her recipes secret, just so people will have an excuse to come over,” he chuckled.
 
“Good idea. Though I doubt I could ever make anything as good as that. My cooking skills aren't all that great,” she admitted with a blush. That comment got her thinking, “Say, what's Yue's favorite food?”
 
“His favorite food? Oh, that's easy. Anything with pasta in it. Dave used to call him Mario for it all the time,” Keito laughed.
 
“Oh boy. Push restart, and the idiot STILL goes after that stuff,” Kagome groaned, smacking her face with her palm. Though, the groan swiftly turned into a chuckle. “But at least he's branched out to something besides ramen. Inuyasha went hog wild for that. He never really cared what else I brought as long has he had a decent supply of ramen!”
 
Keito blinked then busted up laughing, “I hate to say it, but he still loves that stuff. He'd eat it almost everyday at school for lunch. Which was really crazy because he had to make it at home then eat the stuff cold. But he never minded.”
 
“You're kidding,” Kagome gawked then shuddered at the thought. “That's just gross. But, then again, why should I be surprised? He'd made us stop and eat lunch in the middle of a leftover battlefield when I introduced it to him,” she reminisced with another shudder.
 
“Oh geez!” Keito commented as another round of hysterics overtook him.
 
“I remember one time, we were picking on him for eating it cold. So I picked it up and turned the noodles into a kickass wig. BIG mistake. Boy, I barely escaped that one with my life!” he laughed as he remembered Yue chasing him all over campus with noodles stuck in his jet black hair. “And of course, Dave didn't let either of us forget it for a month.”
 
“I can easily picture that,” the miko chuckled remembering how the hanyou she knew use to chase Miroku around. She got quiet for a moment while Keito worked at putting a reign on his laughter. Then she spoke up again. “Keito?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
“Do you think I sound like a loony? Honestly.”
 
“Honestly…Zach and Dave don't buy it yet. Zach's just being nice about it. But, I believe you. I don't know why. It is a totally bizarre story. But, I believe the soul endures many lives. Most of the time we never get a chance to find out who we use to be, but that doesn't mean that we haven't existed before in some shape or form. And I know many tales that come out of Japan's boonies are bullshit. But, as many as there are, not just in Japan but worldwide, there's got to be truth to some of them. There were many wise, well-respected people that told stories of demons and such. So, given that, why should I not believe you?
 
I've already seen evidence, that's strong enough to the story from my point of view. But, you've said you've got other ways. I'm sure, it'll all iron out eventually, and I'm willing to back you up. Don't sweat it,” he told her seriously. She glanced at him then nodded before leaning her head against the window.
 
`Besides that, I've known for a long time there was someone he was waiting for. It just makes sense somehow, that you'd be that someone he's been looking for,' Keito thought to himself.
 
The rest of the car trip went silently. The main reason being that the full belly combined with overworked emotions stole what little strength Kagome had left, plunging her into a deep sleep not but a couple of minutes after their little heart-to-heart chat. As Keito entered the university town's city limits, he stole a glance as his mind worked at coming up with a change of plans.
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
 
 
Mark's beetle pulled to a halt with a light screech, causing Mark to frown and mutter something about the brakes needing some work and Beth to roll her eyes. She popped her seatbelt undone, then opened her door. Stepping out into the night air, she turned back to face him.
 
“It opens at nine tomorrow. How long it takes for everyone to convene is up in the air, though I would venture to guess it won't take very long. Sherry will be there too, so mind your manners, Playboy,” she told him point blank.
 
“Why, I haven't a clue what would bring you to think I would do anything otherwise,” Mark grinned cutely. “Tomorrow at nine, then.”
 
Beth nodded, then glanced over at Kagome's still present car before striding over to the hospice's employee entrance. Using her card key, she let herself in to pull a quick check on things. Mark licked his lips, then proceeded to back out and drive away.
 
Inside, Beth quickly navigated the hallways till she arrived at Yue's room. However, whatever she was expecting to find, it certainly wasn't what met her eyes the moment she popped into the room. Sitting in the armchair was one of the evening secretaries, chattering on about her latest oh-so-cool boyfriend. Laying on the bed with her head on Yue's chest and her fingers playing with his long black hair was Margaret Prentice.
 
It took great effort for Beth to resist the urge to shudder at the sight. She remembered when Yue had first arrived. Margaret had been all over him like a super obsessed fan girl with the world's biggest case of infatuation. Dave had been the one to immediately set her straight on the fact that, although they had dated a couple of times in the past, Yue was most definitely not interested in her, let alone her boyfriend.
 
Back then, Beth had allowed much of Margaret's antics, hoping she would help by either coaxing Yue back with the voice of a caring friend, or more likely drive him insane till he woke up screaming his head off. However, neither of those cases occurred. Time wore on as days became weeks, then months. One by one, Yue's so-called friends, stopped coming. Even Margaret eventually vanished. Yue's own parents were forced to move, due to changes in their jobs. It was decided that Yue was to stay where he was so as the last three friends he had, Dave, Keito, and Zach, could continue to visit him as often as they could.
 
Suddenly, Margaret was back here again, acting all lovey-dovey as though she'd never left. It was blatantly obvious that the receptionist was friends with her and had told her about Kagome. Beth deduced that Margaret's presence was a product of pure jealousy. Things were happening around her old flame and she was jealous that she wasn't a part of it.
 
Beth hadn't known Kagome very long. However, the Japanese woman had both proven her story, and forged a deep friendship with her. Margaret was doing her best to barge in and clearly attempting to stomp all over the place till she regained the dominance that never really existed in the first place.
 
The two girls looked up at her with bright smiles, greeting her cheerfully and unanimously like everything was hunky-dory. Beth took one breath, then totally blew a gasket.
 
“Brittany, out! Now! There's plenty that you should be doing,” Beth said in a cold monotonous voice as she pointed her finger towards the door. Brittany's eyes bulged and she wisely scrambled to vacate the room. Once she was gone, Beth turned on Margaret who'd sat up with a challenge growing in her aquatic blue eyes. Beth, however, was in no mood for games.
 
“Margaret, I'll tell you this only once. I know what you're up to, and it's not gonna work this time. The only reason why I put up with your bullshit last time is because I thought it might pull him back. This time, there is absolutely nothing holding me back from telling you to get your goddamn hands off of him and your most unwanted ass out of here. I don't give a rat's ass what your pathetic excuse is, you have one minute to vacate the building before I call the cops to haul you out in handcuffs. If you want to see him again, come back during visiting hours. However, the staff will be alerted, and you will not be allowed to visit without supervision. Now, get the hell out!” Beth bellowed with all her fury boiling in her chocolate eyes and turning her face crimson.
 
Margaret hesitated, and Beth strode proudly over to the nightstand phone. The moment she picked up the receiver, Margaret hissed and stormed out of the room. Beth grinned and punched in the number for security. She informed the watchman of the unwanted visitor, then let him handle the rest. Hanging up, she heaved a huge delightful sigh and smiled.
 
“Apologies about that, my friend. Hopefully, in the future, she won't be able to take it that far should she decide to return for another try,” the nurse told her unnaturally slumbering patient.
 
`I take it you enjoyed your date because it sure as hell took you long enough!' came the reply she couldn't hear.
 
 
------------------------------------------------------
 
Upon pulling up to a stoplight that was notorious for being exceptionally long, Keito whipped out his cell phone and looked up Beth's number. Kagome didn't stir the slightest bit, solidifying his reasoning. He put on the headphone then pushed the send button just as the light turned green. By the time he hit the next light, which was also red, a short distance up the road, a female voice answered on the other end.
 
“Hey Beth, it's Keito. I have a small favor to ask. Do ya mind having a roomie for the night? She klonked hard on the way back, and I'm not about to let her try to drive home when she's that whipped.”
 
“Oh, not a problem. I'm halfway between the hospice and home. Should I head back and meet you somewhere or do you remember where I live?” came Beth's surprised but cheerful voice. Keito deduced that her date went surprisingly well.
 
“How could I forget a cool house like yours? I remember. Besides, it was me who did the driving both times we came over. Dave's a scary driver, and letting Zach drive frees him up to punch me the entire way,” Keito joked back, earning a hearty bit of laughter from the nurse.
 
“All right. Drive careful and I'll see you soon. Now get off the damn phone,” she answered with a bark, trying to sound harsh but failing miserably.
 
“It's hands-free, but yes ma'am,” Keito told her. A moment later, the phone disconnected as she'd managed to hang up first.
 
 
--------------------------------------------------
 
 
Sherry was awake at seven the next morning. Try as she may to go back to sleep for a little while longer, it wouldn't come. So, she climbed out of bed and set about picking out what she was going to wear for the day. After that, she quietly trekked to the bathroom.
 
Twenty minutes after getting up, Sherry had managed to shower, dress, and fill her tummy with a mediocre breakfast of milk and a poptart. After picking up after herself, she returned to her room long enough to grab the backpack of stuff she'd prepared the night before. Then, she scribbled a note on the counter saying that she was headed off to help a friend out with some chores. She knew well by now, as long as she made it sound like she was doing something useful while neglecting to mention the hospice, her uncle wouldn't complain. As long as she didn't do anything that would bring trouble knocking on his door, he didn't really care what she did as long as her chores were done.
 
Quietly, Sherry slipped out of the house, locking the door behind her. She walked around to the disaster zone known as the garage and extracted her bike from the mess. Then, she slung her satchel over her shoulders, climbed on, and headed off for the hospice.
 
Though the sky was clogged with puffy clouds that made the heavens look like an upside-down tub full of soapsuds, the air was relatively warm. Sherry smiled as she noted that few were up and about this early in the day. She took solace in it, taking her time in her journey so that she could enjoy as much of the early Sunday morning serenity as possible.
 
A little while later, the young girl arrived in front of her destination and parked her bike. Then, she trekked up to the front door and knocked, praying that someone would take notice and be kind enough to let her in. As it was, she ended up spending about ten minutes waiting before a car belonging to one of the nurses pulled into the parking lot.
 
“Oh, my goodness! Hello there, Sherry. I haven't seen you in a while. How are you doing?” the older woman beamed as she got out of her boat-on-wheels Lincoln and stepped over.
 
“Hello Mrs. Montgomery,” Sherry smiled as sweetly as possible. “I'm doing fine. I'm feeling a whole lot better now. I missed coming here to visit Yue and Beth.” She wasn't close to this one, feeling that the woman was a bit too clingy and annoying-aunt type for comfort. Just looking at the insanely bright yellow scrubs with smiling suns and daisies all over was enough to annoy Sherry into wanting to flee. However, this woman did hold her ticket into the building before opening hour. Therefore, Sherry wasn't beyond pushing every single button she could to get the woman to let her in. All she wanted to do was spend more time with Inuyasha and keep him company, especially now that she knew he enjoyed it. “I woke up early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep so I thought I'd come keep him company for a while. I can help out with chores or something to make up for it. I could help clean his room. Beth let's me do that sometimes.”
 
“Well, aren't you sweet. How can I say no to something as kind as that? Come on, I'm sure the staff won't mind. You've been here early before, as I recall,” Mrs. Montgomery cooed as she walked around to the employee entrance and swiped her access card.
 
“Yep!” Sherry grinned as she followed. The light on the lock switched to green and the lock gave a loud clack as it disengaged.
 
“You would make a wonderful nurse. I bet, you could even pull off being a doctor someday with your smarts and energy,” the nurse praised as she held the door open for the child.
 
“Really? You think so?” Sherry exclaimed excitedly as she bopped inside. Truth be known, she was more excited at having gotten inside than getting complimented. She'd heard that speech too many times from various staff members to dwell on it. All she cared about was getting to visit her friend.
 
“I do,” Mrs. Montgomery nodded as she entered in Sherry's wake.
 
“Beth says that too,” the girl responded as walked with the nurse through the hallway to the employee lounge.
 
“She's right. And if you work with her, you'll definitely have a good shot at being a nurse or doctor someday,” the woman told her as she put her purse in her locker. “I take it you've brought schoolwork with you?” she asked as she eyed the purple and green faded backpack Sherry wore.
 
“Erm, yeah, a bit. And the Harry Potter book I've been reading to Yue.”
 
“What a bright young lady, you are. Very well then. I'll let you handle your own work while there's still silence in this place. I'm sure things will get rather distracting when his three friends arrive.”
 
“Yeah, probably so,” Sherry nodded, quickly clamming up now that she'd achieved her goal.
 
“All right then. Just let me know if you need anything. I'll be around here somewhere.”
 
“Yes, ma'am,” the girl nodded before swiftly leaving the woman behind.
 
--------------------------------------
 
 
Kagome found herself being coaxed by the feeling of warm sunshine falling across her face. Not quite ready to wake up yet, she turned over in the bed and pulled the warm blanket up over her head. However, the world would not give up it's mission to wake her as the sound of barking dogs drifted through the shut window to faintly register in her ears. Though quiet as the sounds were with the cover over her head, it was just enough to keep her from going back to sleep.
 
Surrendering, the miko turned over on her back to yawn and stretch. Her hands reached up to rub the sleep from her eyes before she allowed the lids to flutter open. Immediately, she became confused as she found herself in a room that was not her own. Sitting up, she glanced around at the room she discovered was the room she stayed in at Beth's house. Then memory, however vague, of Keito and Beth putting her to bed here last night returned.
 
`Note to self, thank Keito for not letting me drive home. I would have killed myself as tired as I apparently was,' she thought before pushing back the blinds to glance outside. Kagome grinned when she saw Beth's two dogs chasing each other in circles outside. She couldn't help but laugh as she found herself seeing the scene as a far less dangerous version of Inuyasha and Kouga duking it out in one of their pathetic squabbles.
 
Kagome climbed out of bed, slipped on her shoes, then headed out and down the stairs to try and find Beth. Said individual was found outside stepping out of the stable, trying not to get run over by the wound-up canines. The miko giggled at the scene, which attracted the attention of the two animals. Immediately, they abandoned their game to run over and greet her with a chorus of barks, slobbery doggie kisses, and wildly wagging tails.
 
“Hello to you too, guys,” she laughed as she knelt down and tried her best to give them equal doses of generous petting.
 
“I take this as a sign that we're all gonna have a good day today,” Beth grinned as she walked over. “Sleep well?”
 
“You bet. There's something extremely relaxing about your house,” Kagome grinned. “I need to remember to thank Keito for this. Given the fact I barely remember going to bed last night, it's a good thing I didn't drive home. I suppose I'm still working on recuperating from such an eventful week.”
 
“Experience tells me, today's gonna be just as eventful. Speaking of which, I was thinking maybe we should call the guys and arrange to meet up for breakfast somewhere,” Beth answered thoughtfully.
 
“Oh, that sounds like a great idea! But…could we swing by my place so I can grab a shower and change my clothes before that?”
 
“I don't see why not. Actually, that should eat up some of the time that it would take for them to get into town. So, it's good. I'll just dash in and give them a ring real quick.”
 
“Okay. I think I'll stay out here and enjoy the fresh air.”
 
“All right. I won't be too long.”
 
 
 
-------------------------------------
 
Inuyasha roused from a doze in his dark prison as the sound of small feet softly slapping down the concrete hallway met his ears. Immediately, his soul shifted into wakefulness with a grin. He knew exactly who those feet belonged to, though he was slightly surprised at how early she was in arriving today. Someone must have let her in as they came in, as the change of staff was only just beginning.
 
The footsteps slowed as Sherry arrived and entered the room. She immediately flung her bag down in the chair and announced herself with a cheerful greeting, “Good morning! I woke up too early and couldn't go back to sleep. So, I got up and came to visit. Mrs. Montgomery let me in when she got here.”
 
`Ah-ha, thought so. Of course, you'd be the one to get here early. You had to go home early while everyone else got to party,' Inuyasha mused whilst the bed jostled as Sherry hopped up to sit beside him. The girl then promptly threw her arms around him, giving him as tight a hug as she could muster.
 
“I hope you had a good night. I wish I could have stayed longer, but oh well. I had a bunch of chores to do at home anyway. I made sure to do as much of today's chores too so that I could spend the day here. I left my uncle a note saying that I'm out helping a friend with chores, so I'm all good,” she chattered as though everything was perfectly normal.
 
Inuyasha smiled bittersweetly and reached out to let his soul brush the faint light that shone in the darkness. Sherry gasped when she felt a brush of something, like steam from a pot in a cold room, though entirely spiritual. It wasn't very strong, but she felt it and knew exactly what it was. “Again…onegai,” she pleaded, mixing in a word from her limited knowledge of Japanese.
 
`Now I understand how Kagome felt when she cared for Shippo,' Inuyasha thought to himself as he pulled his spirit back then once again let it brush against Sherry's like some bizarre, touch-based form of peek-a-boo. The girl rewarded his efforts with a soft giggle and another child-size bear hug.
 
“I love you too, Yash,” she whispered before dealing him another surprise in the form of a small kiss to his right cheek. She giggled again as she sat back up.
 
`I'm doomed. Somehow you're even better at making me a damn softie than Kagome is. Are you sure you two aren't related somehow?' Inuyasha chuckled.
 
`Back when all this started from Kagome freeing me from that seal, I would have never guessed that I would someday wind up like this,' he thought to himself. However, the past also generated a naturally persistent fear. `Whatever gods orchestrate this chaotic madness we call life, I only ask for one thing. Too many good things are far too easily destroyed, people included. I don't care what you do to me, just please… protect them. These people that selflessly give so much to me, please keep them safe. They deserve at least that much. `
 
With that, Inuyasha turned his full attention back to his young visitor as he felt the bed give a small shake. She had shifted then flopped onto her back at his right side. She too seemed to be caught up in her thoughts as she lay there for a moment. Then she reached out to pick up the arm next to her. Her small hands clasped the large one of hers as she shifted his forearm to hinge back towards the shoulder, she set her head on.
 
“I brought my Harry Potter book,” she started in a soft voice. “But…maybe…” she paused as though grappling for the right words, while he listened. “Maybe if I just close my eyes and try hard enough,” she tried again, her words growing into a whisper as she let herself relax. It struck him immediately then what she was trying to do. “Maybe I can hear you again,” the last of her words tumbled out of her mouth as he eagerly reached out to the light in the darkness.
 
`Well I'll be damned. Something good can come from slacking off,' he mused with a chuckle.
 
 
 
 
Nearly ten minutes passed before Sherry finally managed to slip from the waking world into the dream world of pitch where a blue light and a gentle masculine voice beckoned. Her soft pink light focused into the form of her body and she strode anxiously towards the epicenter of the blue. A walk turned to a jog that seemed to take forever. Then, suddenly the form of the hanyou popped out of the darkness before her.
 
“Looking for me?” he said with a smirk as he stood there in a typical cocky stance. Sherry almost shouted his name and pounced him. But then she thought better as she skidded to a halt, tilting her head and putting a hand to her hip.
 
“Well, who the heck else would I be looking for? King Kong? Baka,” she teased with a mischievous grin of her own.
 
“I hope not, `cause then I'd be call'n you the baka. That hairy old slob's in a section a few centuries over serving in a cell next to Chewbacca the Wookiee,” the hanyou played along with a shrug.
 
Sherry blinked then busted up laughing, “Poor Chewie!”
 
“Poor Chewie? Keh! What about me?”
 
“Oh, well we both know yer gonna be getting out of here someday soon. Say, do you know why Kagome's car is still outside?”
 
“Most likely, they had way too much fun hanging out last night at Suzuna's and Keito decided she was too tired to drive home on her own. Beth came in last night, after Mark dropped her off, to see if she had stopped back in again,” he answered as he plopped down on his rear and crossed his legs in an Indian-style position.
 
“That makes sense,” the girl nodded. “Yesterday was pretty busy with staying the night at Beth's, going to the mall in Nashville, and hanging out here, and wherever everyone went off to afterwards. Did Beth say anything about how her date went?”
 
“No. But she thanked me for the Gondola's suggestion. I have a feeling she had a good time though,” he nodded. “Which…kind of reminds me. You need to warn Kagome about something for me. There's a girl that chased after me in junior and senior high school named Margaret. Blond chick with blue eyes and a preppy attitude that you can't miss. Apparently, the receptionist named Brittany is a friend of hers and told her about Kagome coming here. Margaret's insanely jealous. Though Beth gave her a good yelling at last night, I know damn well it's not going to stop the girl. She will try to give Kagome a hard time, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. The guys can easily fill her in on the witch and help her out.”
 
Sherry gulped, “Ouch. Sure thing.”
 
“Thanks to Peggy, Margaret even has some good dirt to work with. Peggy came in looking for Kagome. But since she wasn't here, Peggy ended up staying and annoying the hell out of me with her V8 motor-mouth. Margaret came in while she was here and easily intimidated her into spilling her guts about all Kagome told her and Beth about Inuyasha when she came here that first time.”
 
“Count on me I'll be sure to pass it on when everybody gets here,” Sherry nodded before plopping herself down next to him and reaching up to scratch one of Inuyasha's fuzzy ears. He gave a purring groan whilst leaning his head closer, causing her to giggle. Something about that sound soothed his tattered soul. So, naturally, the next thing he did was reach out to gently tickle the girl's sides. Sherry instantly fell over in fits of hysterical laughter which the hanyou found quite contagious.
 
 
-----------------------------------
 
 
Kagome had to bite her tongue to keep from giggling as she entered the restaurant behind Beth and caught sight of Mark anxiously awaiting her arrival. She'd extracted all the juicy details about Beth's date on the drive into town, and now it was all she could do to keep from laughing at the pictures that had formed in her head of the event.
 
Mark spotted Beth and grinned as he walked over, “Well hello there, Sunshine. Might I say, you look most radiant this morning. You too, Ms. Kagome. I trust you're both doing well this fine morning?”
 
“Wonderful. You need coffee. You're mouth is even more annoying than it was last night,” Beth told him point-blank.
 
“I'm doing fine, Mark. How about yourself?” Kagome said with a soft laugh.
 
“Apparently, in need of some java. Where's Sherry?” Mark smiled as he led them back to the large table he'd secured for the group.
 
“One of the other nurses called me earlier and said she was at the hospice door around a quarter to eight waiting to get in. I'll just throw together a doggie bag to take to her when we get over there,” Beth answered while taking a seat next to the miko.
 
Kagome couldn't help but smile, “I'm glad she's a part of this. It seems like something exceptionally good for the both of them.”
 
“I agree. In the very least, I know she's learning a lot helping me out. And, I think her visits with Yue have helped her cope with what happened to her mother. Now that she's found a way to somehow communicate with him, I think that things can only get better for both of them.”
 
A waitress bopped over and began taking their beverage orders. As they waited for their drinks to arrive, they settled into a friendly debate over baseball teams. No sooner had the waitress arrived with the drinks than three quite noticeable young men walked in. Dave now sported a hair-do of solid lime green. Zach played middleman, trying to prevent Dave from hitting Keito. Then, there was Keito, waltzing in wearing a bright tie-dyed t-shirt, baggy blue jeans with red and black plaid patches covering the holes, red converse sneakers, completed with a sword in his hand and a hat on his head fashioned out of pieces of the Sunday newspaper.
 
The moment Keito spotted the others sitting at a large table in the middle of the right side wall of the restaurant, he wasted no time in barreling past Dave who sputtered then cried out, “Look out! He's loose!”
 
Keito skidded to a halt at the table then gave a great sweeping bow, “Good morning to ye my great fellow denizens of the Order of Whizzbang! On this day of such profound beauty and zippity-do-dah, it is with great honor, joy, and the astoundingly awesome state of idellbutte that I present to you the Salute of Meemoo Flappyjack!” He then promptly started marching in place, doing sideswipes and down slashes with his paper sword, and using a stolen and rolled up kids menu as a horn to trumpet out the tune to the Chicken Polka. He then turned around and did his own version of the trumpeting rear end from Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
 
The table and several on-lookers from other tables busted up laughing while Dave leaned over to the befuddled waitress and said, “For the sake of God and the sanity of this restaurant, I suggest you serve that pup milk or water. Anything caffeinated will spell complete and utter disaster.”
 
“Hey! I can order for myself, you anal-retentive Martian Doberman!” Keito barked at his friend. He the looked to the waitress, “I'll have a raspberry ice-tea, m' lady.”
 
“Hey, Keito. Didn't anyone ever tell you, the dodo birds are extinct?” Dave shot back with a raised eyebrow and a dry expression.
 
“Remind me again why I hang out with the two of you maniacs?” Zach asked in a tone of woe as he politely took his seat.
 
“One, because normal is bland and boring. Two, because you get awesome examples to use in your psychology papers. And three, because Yue saved your ass from being slapped with insulting labels and beaten to a bloody pulp in grade school. Isn't that reason enough?” Keito responded as he planted his rear in a chair. He then looked to the waitress and calmly stated, “Coffee for the both of them. They obviously still have some waking up to do.”
 
The waitress nodded quickly with a smile then politely as possible fled the scene. Dave and Zack groaned in unison, banging their heads on the table while Mark, Beth, and Kagome tried desperately to calm their laughter. Beth turned to Kagome.
 
“See? I told you today would be just as eventful. Part of me has to feel sorry for the teachers that got stuck putting up with the lot of them,” the nurse told her.
 
Kagome giggled then turned to Zach, “And just how many detentions were Yue's fault?”
 
“Keito and Yue each hold forty percent responsibility. The remainder occurred when Dave lost his patience with the both of them. I was the one that made sure they still managed to get enough work done to pass they're classes,” the blond genius responded.
 
“Hey now! As I recall, you got us in trouble for getting into an argument with that crackpot teacher in Home Ec,” Dave quickly pointed out. “You also got in trouble for flirting with that chick in Biology. And, it was you in 7th grade English who popped that guy in the ass with the rubberbanded paper wad so hard everyone on that wing heard him scream. You may be a genius, but a saint, you are not, Downen.”
 
“Oh damn, yeah. That time in 7th English was the funniest!” Keito crowed amidst the chorus of chuckles playing about the table.
 
“Zach, you, pelted someone with a paperwad bullet?” Beth gawked in dismay.
 
“All right, all right, you have me there,” Zach conceded. “And yes. The teacher was out of the room and the entire class got into a slingshot match. I decided to participate for once. I never expected the guy to scream that loud,” he shrugged.
 
“I dunno. I thought the argument with the witch in Home Ec over the proper names for types of spatulas was pretty good,” Dave smirked.
 
“Ehh…my favorite memory from that class was watching Yue `accidentally' dump the flour bucket all over Margie. That was funny as hell,” Keito mused.
 
“My Home Economics teacher was this huge Italian guy that looked like Super Mario. He was great in the cooking part, but once he got to the sex ed…oh my god, he had such problems with that part. He gained this stuttering problem that made him sound like Porky Pig!” Mark input with a laugh.
 
“Is that what messed you up, or was your problem home-schooled?” Beth drawled slyly.
 
“My genes are entirely to blame,” Mark answered with a sheepish grin. Kagome giggled remembering similar circumstances plaguing the monk known as Miroku.
 
“Poor baby,” Beth snorted. “Speaking of whi-“
 
“OH! Hey, remember that time the girls got those electro-babydoll things? And that dipshit Margie kept pushing it off to Yue every chance she got?” Keito blurted.
 
“Who doesn't remember all the crap she tried to pull from that class?” Dave responded with an appalled expression.
 
“Margie?” Kagome frowned, having no clue who they were talking about.
 
“She's a girl that's had an obsessive crush on Yue since junior high. He took her to a couple of dances and suddenly, she got this idea that he was hers,” Keito answered.
 
“The bitch nearly fast-talked her way into getting Yue for her date to Prom, but Zach saved his ass on that one,” Dave added with a venomous tongue.
 
“Which was really awesome because Madelyn likes Yue, but admits that she's also waiting for someone else,” Keito continued.
 
“On top of that, Madelyn's blind, and people, including her own parents, tend to take advantage of it. She didn't even go to her own Prom. Instead, she had us take her to spend time with Yue. That was really sweet,” Zach told them.
 
“Yes, I agree,” Beth nodded swiftly. “However, we have a problem. One named Margaret. Brittany's told her all she knows, from what I gathered when I found them chitchatting in Romeo's room last night. I chased both of them out and will be working on setting up restrictions for when Margie comes again, as I found her in quite the compromising position last night. She apparently still thinks Yue belongs to her. However, despite my threats, I know what I do isn't enough to stop her from attacking Kagome. She sees Kagome as a serious threat, from the look I saw on her face when she left last night. I just know it.”
 
“Shit! This is bad,” Keito swore. “How much does Brittany know?”
 
“I don't know. Bridget says that Margie stole Brit away for a couple of hours. Though, I don't like Bridget any better, I'd believe her since she got stuck with most of the work last night `cause of it.”
 
“Bridget…The blond Barbie doll at the front desk?” Mark inquired. Beth nodded and Mark shuddered. “Women that go to such lengths to get that fake are just plain downright disgusting.”
 
“Ditto,” Keito nodded.
 
“Bridget pounces anything male and remotely good looking,” Dave said, rolling his eyes.
 
Meanwhile, Kagome squirmed. The thought of yet another rival female had her stomach twisting into knots. The waitress chose that moment to return with the rest of the drinks and take orders. Everyone had been so caught up in talking, most hadn't even paid the slightest bit of attention to the menus. So, in the end, they all wound up ordering the buffet to please both their stomachs and the waitress, who seemed to be waiting for a new outburst to erupt. The woman nodded as she jotted down the orders then scrambled away to the kitchen again.
 
As Kagome got up, Keito gave her shoulder a squeeze, “Don't worry about Margaret so much. Try to take Beth or Mark along when you can. I've been looking for an excuse to extract myself from that hellhole apartment I'm in right now. The other guy can go screw himself for all I care, I'm sick of putting up with his constant whining and need to have things his way. So, I'll probably be in town a lot this week, hunting for a new job and place to live. I'll be more than happy to back you up. Okay?”
 
The miko smiled as some of the worry eased and she answered him with a nod. Mark overheard and took the chance to speak up himself, “Keito's right. I'm at your service whenever you need me, Kagome. And Keito, I have an extra room in my place. I've been looking for a roommate for quite some time, but people seem to have something against my pair of ferrets.”
 
“Ferrets? Ooh, cool! I use to date a girl who's sister raised them. I haven't a problem with them,” Keito replied as he stepped into the line at the buffet. “How much you ask'n?”
 
“Is $400 a month reasonable?”
 
“Dude, hell yeah.”
 
“Well, there's one problem solved. You'll be fine, Kagome. Besides, I have a feeling you've endured a whole lot worse than some obsessed wannabe girlfriend just getting this far. Furthermore, it's obvious this Margaret person hasn't a chance in hell at winning him. So quit worrying about her,” Mark told the miko. “Cheer up. Today's suppose to be fun.”
 
“And you damn well better believe if she shows up today, she's gonna get hell from the three of us,” Keito added with an emphatic nod.
 
“Okay, okay. You're right,” Kagome agreed with a grin. “Thanks, guys.”
 
“Not a problem! Anything for a fellow denizen of the Order of Whizzbang!” Keito told her with a huge goofy grin that could blind the sun.
 
“Oh god, not that again!” Zach groaned.
 
“What?” Keito cried, feigning innocence.
 
“Keito, shut up before I haul your ass outside and hurt you,” Dave chided.
 
Keito power pouted, “Man, you three are just no fun at all!”
 
--------------------------------------------
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Penguine's Piece
 
As always, I thank you for your patience. A whole new chapter complete! Yay! Only little over a week after that monster of a chapter 16, and this one's even 6850 words long! The Stooges just kept right on talk'n! Oh well, they're half the story anymore. It's just no fun without them. -lol-
 
I had wanted to try and cover as much of Sunday in this chapter as I could, but once again, the characters have stolen the reins to this thing. At this point, other than Kagome doing another run over of her tale, I have absolutely no clue what's gonna happen in the next chapter. With Keito now making an unexpected move into town, the events of the coming week (inside the story) will prove crazy as well.
 
I will try hard again this week to get as much written as possible despite the wrist brace I've taken to wearing on my right hand. We've had a new puppy in the house the past three weeks, and I just can't keep myself from picking the 15lb bundle of chaos up to cuddle her. Thus, I'm now paying for it. Oh well. Life goes on, ne?
 
 
FFnet Review Replies
 
Icy-Heart-of-Gold: I'm gonna get me a Wacom tablet one of these days. Then, maybe digital art won't be so difficult for me. Drawing by hand is one thing. I'm adept at coloring with soft-lead color pencils. Coloring by computer's a whole new ball game. But I do hope to someday be able to draw some stuff that people will actually buy.
 
Drake Clawfang: You have a point there. -lmao- I really didn't work it that way intentionally. Margaret just sorta weaseled her way in on her own.
 
Mizuki: Thank you for the kind words. And I envy you. Though I suck at poetry, I hope to someday publish original novels of my own. Will probably end up doing the cover art too, like Adele Sessler does. Her stuff always seems to inspire me like that. Anywho, no, Margaret's just a girl that doesn't want to admit defeat. At any cost. And, yes, there are people out there that dense. Unfortunately, my last boyfriend was one of them. As for Shippo, that's one hint I think it's okay to give away. Since he is full demon, Shippo will be himself and not a reincarnation.
 
Articuno: Half the world lacks common sense, I think. That's why I say trees make better friends. -nods- I just noticed something.. Have I been misspelling your name? I just caught myself typing Arctic and have a feeling I've done it before. If so, I apologize. O.o'
 
Inufan-625: One thing I will promise you is that I will without a doubt finish this story. It might take me another year, but I'll finish it.
 
Raining Fire: Nope. Not dead. Slow and sleep deprived, yes. But, I'm still here.
 
BlackroseBunny: Yes, I found one of them today when I was sifting through 16 for information. If you happen to come across anymore, tell me where you found it and I'll fix it when I can.
 
IYWriterGirl: Wow, I'm honored. Thank you. I have some other partially finished Inuyasha stories sitting around collecting dust too. I may pull another one of them out a little later just to see what happens. I'm also wondering if it's possible to render a Yash slave story based on an original world I created for roleplay gaming. But, I haven't written much more than a few paragraphs on that idea. :S On another hand.. do you think it's possible to cross the Inuyasha story with Rurouni Kenshin somehow? Ugh, so many ideas, never any time to do anything about them! How annoying. / OH! A Harry Potter fan! Wait! I have a question! What do you think would happen if two new students that were a kind of vampire phoenix that's allergic to innocent blood and appears human in alternate form? I should mention most members of the blood phoenix clan carry Stooge style insanity in some form. Heheheh
 
KendoPunk: Oooh, Margaret's getting plenty of death threats from readers at this point. -giggles- Makes me want to plot further with her. Heeheehee / They're getting there. I'm still having a few of them. Half of this chapter was typed while suffering an insomnia-induced benedryl hangover on Saturday. How people can enjoy drugs doing funky crap like that I have no idea. :P
 
Ryuu no Taiyo: Oooh! Huggles! YAY! -hugs back then gives you a cookie-
 
Lord of the Pit: Possibly. I really don't know.
 
Sukera: Thank you, thank you. I'm doing better than I was at least. Hope things are going well for you too. :)
 
Animemistress419: I got it out a whole lot quicker this time, thank the gods. -happy dance- I'm on the edge of my own seat at this point, waiting to see what will happen next. So fun! Squee!!
 
Demonslayer206: An easy way to find it is by running a search at FFnet here for the Author name “Penguine”. There is only two with that name and the other one is some dude named bob who hasn't written anything in years. Wake is the only story, I'm updating at current.
 
PixiePam: Usually what happens with me is I get stuck, then I lose interest and eventually move on to other things. However, I have become as addicted to Inuyasha as I am to Star Wars. And this story has me hooked along with everyone else. Though, I've seen possible endings in my head a billion times by now, I still don't know exactly how it will end nor what will happen between now, the point where he wakes up, and the end of the story. Reader support helps too. When you start get 50+ reviews per chapter, you begin feeling obligated. Which is how it should be, as long as you also respect yourself as well as the story in the process.
 
M.M.: Yeah, Margaret is a bit like Kouga. But, I think it's cool that Yash is the one with suitors chasing him around this time instead of just Kagome. He learns to see things from her perspective, which will only strengthen his bond with her.
 
Hosaki: Yes, I think you're right about that. I'm interested to see how that will turn out, myself, to be quite honest with you. -lol- Margaret's been waiting backstage a long time to pull her stunts.
 
Soccerdevill16: Because people aren't always sure what they want from one moment to the next. Especially in the teenage years. And even beyond that, humans time and again date people whom they know in the end will be mistakes, but they do it anyway cause they get caught up in the moments. / Aaah!! No! We need Keito to help beat off Margaret! -lmao-
 
Myriadragon: No offense intended. Actually, I think Margaret is a pretty name. Villians aren't always ugly, nor are they always the villian. -wink- Like dear ol' Sesshomaru for instance. -grin-
 
The-Shapeshifting-Sweethe: I haven't been misspelling your name too, have I? -twitch- If I have, I apologize. I've been doing that to a couple of people lately. Entirely embarrassing. -cough- ANYway… Heeheehee more comments on Margaret. To think I almost held her back a few more chapters. She'll continue to appear in places throughout the story. That much is for sure. As for how Kagome deals with her, I have no idea yet.
 
InuyashaFan: Tada! -giggles-
 
Orangepencils: Umm.. -blink- Isn't it.. rather obvious where Sango and Miroku are? O.o' As for the seal.. umm.. yeah, Sherry pointed that one out didn't she? O.o'
 
Nysoku: More chocolate than I can handle? -gasp- Never! And actually, this latest chapter was not chocolate influenced in any way. -sniff- We're out of it.
 
Minako: Nope, I can assure you I will not abandon this story. I may take a while on chapters sometimes, but I won't abandon it. I promise.
 
KittySand Katie: You are the first person to admit liking Margaret. But you know what, you won't be disappointed. I have plans for her too. As for Peggy, yes, she'll be in and out throughout the story. Not quite as much, but she'll be back.
 
Me: -pulls out her old softball bat and starts whacking… then starts missing- Oh shyt! Hit the deck! -dives for cover- / No.. Margaret is a Kouga equivalent with PMS.
 
Chinese-freak: Because he wouldn't have exactly fit into Kagome's world as he was, for one thing. That's all I can really say on that matter just yet. He'll explain himself eventually. :)
 
KhaosFire-Katana: Actually, Peggy got her name from the song “Peggy Sue” sung by the Beach Boys if I remember right.
 
HappyFlipGal69: Thanks. I've been trying to learn how to stand up a little stronger to people the past few years. I seem to finally be getting somewhere with it.
 
Deity of Sorrow: Shippo is coming, though it will be a few chapters at the least before he shows up.
 
SailorChibi: Margaret is Margaret. But, if I compare her to other Inuyasha characters, I'd say she's more like Kouga turned female with a serious case of PMS. I actually have a bit more respect for Kikyou than most. I understand why she acts the way she does given the things she's been forced to endure. Thus, I also have plans for her too, strange as it may sound.
 
CrazyMyHanyou: Stitches in your foot? Ouch! -wince- It.. didn't have anything to do with that website with the picture that screams at you, did it? I have a friend who got startled by that thing so bad, she dropped her coffee cup which shattered on the floor and put a huge cut in her foot. -shudder- Evilness.
 
Silvanon of the Orchard: Beautiful name, by the way. / OH yeah! Things will most definitely get interesting with Margaret in the picture. Heheheh
 
Moonbunny-735: Either one will work. XD Ehh.. it's just a fan story meant to appease fans. I have other ideas meant for the publishers someday.
 
Silentchill: Yayness! More fun soon to come! :)
 
GnomeInuyasha: Interesting name. For some odd reason, that has me trying to see him as a Kender. XD / I'm with you on the Inuyasha x Kagome pairing. As for the story, I actually thought it was boring when I was at the chapter three mark and abandoned it. Then, several months later, I found it again. I reread it and decided to let FFnet readers decide whether or not it was mule puke. I NEVER expected such a huge response out of it. Those reviewers of the first posting convinced me to keep working on it. Now, I'm just as hooked and anxious to see where it goes next as everyone else. I can only hope that someday I can write an original story that people will enjoy even half this much.
 
RedIce: Honestly, sometimes I can't decide whether I've written too much detail or not enough. O.o
 
Adrienne: Me neither.
 
Dragon Firefairy: You and many others.
 
MyImaginaryInuyasha: Nope, never mentioned Margaret till now.
 
Inu-dog-dem: Thank you. :)
 
Ixchen: Heeheehee.. I have no idea what's going to happen. It all depends on who all will be there. Then again, maybe it won't. I've long since learned this story is highly unpredictable.
 
Esmilla: -giggles- I was actually hesitant about introducing Margaret so early, but she's proved quite entertaining. I'm glad I did it. She gives me a whole lot more to play with.
 
Light: I most certainly will. Thank you. :)
 
Iyoku-chan: Hrmm… okay, what about common poisonous weeds?
 
Sanosuke & Shar: Heheheh… Actually, I can picture Margaret counting her calories and carbs and fretting if she gets even an ounce over the recommended weight for her height. -giggles-
 
Don't have a name: Mush rocks, I agree! There will definitely be more mush when I can fit it in. :)
 
Crisco: Now that I'm past those scenes that I didn't have a clue what to do for… and life's more tolerable.. chapters will definitely come faster. Like this one. The next one should take me two weeks at the most as well. I'm anxious to get started on it.
 
Cebass25: That.. actually never even occurred to me. No worries. No one will get raped in this story.
 
Bluie Twilight Star: Yep, the party's just beginning, so to speak. -wide evil grin-
 
Pitbull123: Hahaha… Couldn't help it. That Margaret x Yue plus Keito's shirt card was just screaming to be used. XD
 
SJ: I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)
 
Inu romance Freak: Will try.
 
TennyoKameko: Hrmmm.. ya got chocolate cake? -grin-
 
Kyome Takashi: I will. :)
 
AngelWing1138: -giggles- Too funny. However, Margaret will be around for a while, I'm thinking. -wide evil grin-
 
Akina315: Ouch! Yes, that sounds challenging.. and irritating.. and.. oh heck! -gives ya a cookie AND a hug- I back ya 100%. People can be such bakas sometimes.
 
EverKitsune: Thanks for understanding. :)
 
XtremeGal87: Things are still challenging, but getting better. Thanks for the concern. :) / Heeheehee, I actually kinda enjoy when Yash-kun goes into his moody rambles too. He's especially cute when he pouts. -giggles-
 
Kaw@izuzumichan: Will try.
 
Inuyasha09: Apology accepted. :)
 
KitsuneNiBakaSareru: Here ya go. :) Will try to get the next one out within two weeks, though no promises on that one.
 
Kyasumi: Who, Margaret?
 
 
Mmorg Review Replies
 
Draechaeli: Both parts were protesting. As for what will happen between Margaret and Kagome, I'm still not sure. It seems the story will write that part itself when it's ready. -lol-
 
Cutie Pie Hentai: Thanks for the wonderful words of support. :) I will most definitely keep at it till the story is complete.
 
BK: Thanks. :) I will try to update again as soon as I can. I'm hoping I can get the next one done within two weeks.
 
Caliko: -lmao- Yep, she definitely can be that way at times.
 
Missthix2006: Margaret can be evil when she wants to be, yep. -giggles- Yer in Nashville? Awesome! My favorite restaurant in the world, the Franklin Chophouse, is there. Ugh, makes me drool just think'n of that place. -swoon-
 
Ladyblade: Ooh, that's certainly a good name for those bakas. -nods- And congrats on the wee one. -grin-
 
Patriot: -gives you a cookie- Yep, you hit it right on the ringer. That's exactly where it's heading. -lol-
 
HanyouBabe: Yes, I kinda agree with you on that. That's one of the reasons why it took me so damn long to write it. Things should be better in the future. At least, I hope so. And, no, Margaret doesn't represent Kikyou. She will find a way to have her own say on things in due time.
 
Darkdynama: I will keep going till the end, I promise. It may take me a while, but I'll finish it. And, no, Margaret.. is more of a version of Inuyasha v Kouga as one other person put it.
 
 
…TBC…