InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Walk of Destiny ❯ Starting From Scratch ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

I don't own Inuyasha.

I do own this story & Choice of Destiny [the prequel to this one]-no stealing!

Walk of Destiny

By angelwings1

Chapter 1 ~ Starting From Scratch

Musky air clung to the damp stone, webs clinging to the broken walls. Within the still blackness, a twisted form of limbs paced. Agitated since it had woken long hours ago, the ancient form snarled at its confinement. For years it had welcomed its solitude, basking in the darkness, especially on a moonless night.

Knuckles cracked and the being lowered its head.

The years had ticked away, unbeknownst to it. The bones within the old body creaked, but were never weak. No in fact, the bones were strong and the muscles surrounding it were full and powerful. Though drowsy from sleep and lack of movement the beast was by no means slow.

Bred for speed and power the creature was formidable and deadly. If needed it could react in a breath.

A shuddered roar dragged from its wide neck as it challenged the emptiness. Time had left it within its earth chambers, but tomorrow it would venture out and seek out what had nudged him from him slumber.

He would seek the power that killed the demon king, Naraku.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gold streaks crawled over the large bundle. She shifted turning her back to the morning rays, but the sun insisted her to wakeful consciousness. Heat kissed her exposed skin as the woman slowly rose into a sitting position. A small fox demon rolled away, refusing to wake with his mother. She fingered the strap to her green tank top as she crossed the room, nimbly avoiding the snoring monk and the other, presently empty, bed.

'Sango is already up practicing her fighting.'

Carefully she pulled back the small papyrus blinds, and took in the dawn through her window. Kagome leaned over the windowsill, watching the village hillside stirring awake. Cattle were roused and brought out of their stalls. Children went ahead and swept out their doorways, as their mothers prepared breakfast. Warm food filled her nostrils as she saw the sky was a perfect blue.

The time traveler smiled, rubbing her drowsy eyes into her flushed arms, 'Mornings should always turn out this good.'

Taking a deep breath, the woman pull away from the delicious scene and hurried to her yellow bag, the last of her things from the girl's future. Kagome pulled out a light blue shirt (to match the morning) and pulled it over her tank.

'Hurry up, you lazy girl.'

Next, she scurried to the small table in the corner. She passed up her arrows and quivers for a small candle in a jar and matches. Shippo and Miroku still were asleep as she shoved the items into a large scarf and ducked out the door. She crossed the main room in Kaede's hut glancing at the separate rooms for any spectators.

No one was up yet.

At least no one would see her.

Kagome raced out into the morning, flying down the endless stairs in front of the priestess's home. Stumbling down the steps in a mad rush the time traveler winced at how her predicament reminded her of her regular morning race to college classes. She passed several sluggish villagers, their eyes snapping onto her speedy form.

She gave a little wave to those her noticed her, but she never slowed, keeping the small bundle planted against her chest. The small wooden bridge that crossed the brook, clunked beneath her tennie shoes. Sunlight flashed over the miko through random holes in the forest roof. The young woman giggled happily as she easily made it to the god tree in less than five minutes.

She dropped to her knees panting heavily, 'Maybe I should have gone out for the track team in high school.'

The thought pulled hard on her heart, bringing a sad smile.

Her hands pulled back the cream scarf and arranged the pot in the center of the wrinkled material. In seconds the wick was burning the sweet aroma of incense.

Kagome shifted into a comfortable kneeling position and bowed her head over clasped hands, 'It's been only two weeks, but it feels like two years already.'

'Everyday passes, but the thought of their faces don't fade.

'I honestly don't regret being in the past, but I do miss them. I'm going to miss a good deal of their lives. I cannot just walk away without crying.

'Nor would I want to walk away with dry eyes.

'Yet everything has fallen into its rightful place.

'Kikyo finally found peace and returned to Hell. She realized her heart had always been alone even when she had been with Inuyasha. The priestess faced the truth, at last, and accepted her life, though with great sadness, had been empty. Kikyo could no longer put her bitterness towards anyone so she exited the living realm to finish off her eternity.

'Inuyasha and I have realized each other's feelings, but we are still uncomfortable around each other about those feelings. We have been denying ourselves so long that we are unable to act upon it.

'I pray to you, God Tree, please help me live in this time and help Inuyasha and I recognize our hearts better.

'You were the one who has kept us together.

'Thank you for watching over my family and me, all these years, God Tree. I will spend my lifespan watching over you as payment.'

Opening her eyes she stared up into the branches. They waved down at her, whispering a nonverbal gratitude. She smiled and blew out the candle.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Inuyasha strolled into the village by the time the sun had leapt out from behind the horizon. He passed several citizens and there was an exchange of friendly nods as he passed. Most humans were afraid of the young hanyou, but to this village he was their protector.

No one said the title aloud. He didn't take high praise well. He liked his personal space enough to tear someone's head off.

The dog demon pulled his arms behind his head and began to walk up the hill's stairs. He had spent the early morning checking the territory. With Kagome staying in the Feudal Era his job on guarding the village was become his top priority.

Of course, he would deny he was strengthening security on the account of his feelings for the time traveler. He would claim he had nothing better to do.

The demon hesitated half way up the staircase when he caught wind of the miko's scent. He inhaled sharply, 'What's she doing out already?'

His ears flicked as he heard steps rapidly approaching up the stairs. She was rushing so fast that it almost appeared her feet weren't even touching the stone steps. He turned, bringing his hands to his side, to face her, "Where have you been?"

Kagome froze as few steps below his spot. Her eyes darted pass him, obviously anxious to escape his presence. His eyebrow quirked as he noticed the small bundle in her arms and her flushed face. She gave a lopsided grin and hurried past the demon, "Oh, nothing special. Come on, the others are probably up and preparing breakfast. We need to help."

He never got to question her further as she continued up to the towering house above. His gold orbs narrowed slightly, but he shrugged off his suspicions and followed the girl.

Kagome was not one to keep secrets unless it was something personal.

However, it still made him curious.

Upon entering the large hut, the youthful miko caught sight of her elder hunched over a sizzling pan. Kagome smiled brightly to her grandmother's back, "Good morning, Kaede."

The village priestess grinned over her shoulder, "Good morning, Kagome. What have ye been up to this morn?"

Hugging her bundle, the time traveler crossed the floor to her room, "I just went out to enjoy the morning air."

Kagome hurried into her bedchamber and shoved the bundle under her small table. Behind her Shippo gave a drowsy yawn, announcing his waking. Miroku was still completely unconscious, but his snoring had quieted from earlier.

"Good morning, Shippo. How did you sleep?" the mother asked as she scooped up her kit.

He rubbed his eyes, "I sleep well. Is breakfast ready?"

"Close" she replied and ducked back into the main room.

Inuyasha was already seated on the floor his back leaning against the wall. She smiled and sat beside him like she usually did. Shippo rolled over in her lap and shoved his nose into stomach, closing his eyes again.

They sat beside each other in comfortable silence, feeling the warmth of each other's body was better than the heat of the season or the cooking.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Dangers crawled into tomorrow slowly approaching the unaware village. Soon the eye would pass and the storm would rain down.

Reality would become shattered dreams and a choice would face the consequences.