InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ when friends find out ❯ Inu-yasha & the 3 girls plus Kagome & Sota ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 6


The next day at school, toward the end of the day . . .

"Eri, Ayumi and Yuka, My mother wants to talk to me tonight. So, while I know you'll want to continue what we were talking about, please, not tonight, OK?" Kagome asks her friends during a break.

They look at each other, sigh, and say, "We understand, Kagome. Talk to you tomorrow about it, then." Eri says.

Ayumi, speaks up saying, "Hey, Kagome, any chance of talking to him, you know who?" Since they are still at school, she's trying to be discreet.

Kagome grimaces and says, "You sure? Ayumi. He isn't the most polite person there is, and I'm not sure, that's a good idea . . . "

"Yeah, Kagome, we want to ask him questions." Yuka adds.

"Asking him questions? There are better ways to waste an evening, girls. At best, all you'll get is 'feh' a lot." Kagome shakes her head. 'Moreover knowing them, they'll announce to him, that I love him . . . ' she thinks.

"We still want to, Kagome." Eri reinforces the other two girls.

"Ok . . . I think you guys are making a mistake, but I'll do what I can." Kagome finishes.

At Kagome's house . . .

Kagome and her mother are in her room, after dinner. Mrs. H has given her father some money and he and Sota are at the movies. Mrs. H and Kagome are sitting on her bed.

Mrs. H sighs, "You know, Kagome, Sota's being very patient, more so than I thought he would be."

"Yeah. I thought he'd be all over me asking questions, mom." Kagome says. "Tomorrow, if Inu-yasha agrees to talk to my friends, I think I need to spend some time with him."

"Good idea, dear, I was going to suggest something like that." Mrs. H nods.

Kagome pauses, thinking about all the edited stories she told her family, "Mother, I'm do not know how to start . . . "

"Dear." Mrs. H interrupts. "Kagome, I know you've never told me everything about what happens on the other side of the well. And I've never pressed you for details, OK. So, just tell me what you are comfortable telling me and I will be happy."

"I... " Kagome swallows and continues, "I just didn't want you to worry." Tears appear in her eyes.

"Dear, I worry about you all the time." Mrs. H puts her arms around her daughter. "That's my job, I think sometimes, to worry about you and Sota. Now, just tell me the story. And I will be happy."

Kagome pauses, sighs and starts to talk.

(Authors' note: in the interest of space. I will not retell the entire story. Like with her friends, Kagome tells her story. And like her friends she does edit it, still. Although, unlike her friends who were overwhelmed with info and so they did not ask for that much in the way of details, her mother has heard these stories before. And she does ask questions about the differences between the first time she heard the story and this time. So Kagome does tell her mother more than she told her friends.)

Part of their conversion . . . Kagome is talking about the Peach man adventure.

"When I woke up and Inu-yasha appeared and rescued me from the trap I was in when I awoke." (The same basic statement her friends heard and did not question.)

"Then we . . . "

"Dear . . . "

Kagome bits her lips' looks at the floor. "It's embarrassing, mom."

Mrs. H clears her throat, "If you don't want to tell me, that's fine, Kagome."

Kagome pauses, blushes, and then says, "I woke up nude in a huge pot of sake, about to be cooked by monkeys . . . "
Mrs. H looks at her daughter, and she thinks, 'and this is what she's telling me. What isn't she telling me?...'

(Author's note: telling her mother doesn't take as long as telling her friends. Mrs. H didn't interrupt with basic questions like her friends did, she asked them the first time she heard the stories. In addition Kagome, the day before, told the story and so this time, she doesn't have to stop and think about how to say things like she did with her friends.)

"....And that brings you up to date, mother." Kagome finishes.

"Hmmm . . . " Mrs. H mumbles. "Please dear, come here and lean against me." Kagome does so and her mother places her arm around her daughter's shoulders. "First, Kagome, I do want to thank you for telling me all that you have. I know it must have been difficult, my dear."

Kagome nods into her mother's side.

Sigh, "Second, Kagome, I am not angry about the differences between the stories from the first time and this time."

Kagome tenses up and she starts, "But, Mother . . . "

"Shush, dear. I am disappointed, a bit. But not angry." She takes a deep breath and sighs, "I am happy with what you've told me."

"I didn't want you, grandfather or Sota to worry . . . "

"I know. That's why I'm not mad. You just need to remember, Kagome, that I deserve to know what is happening in your life. Ok."

Kagome nods.

"Good, now that's straight. Now that I know more, I will need to think about what I can do to help you more." Kagome's mother declares.

"Mom, why all the help?"

"Kagome, you know I think of myself as the mother in this legend right?"

"Of course, Mom."

"Good, in most of the old legends, the mothers do not help their children. So, I'm going to do the opposite and help you, as much as I can, dear."

"Thank you, Mother." Kagome says with as much respect in her voice as she can put.

"You're welcome, dear. Now, I think I hear Sota and my father downstairs, so . . . "

"Let's go down and ask about the movie." Kagome finishes.

The next day in the afternoon on the other side of the well. Kagome and Inu-yasha are standing beside the well.

"Inu-yasha, my friends are waiting in my room. They want to talk to you."

"Feh, like I care."

"Please Inu-yasha. It'll just be them, nobody else."

"Feh" he grunts out, but he thinks, 'her mother did say that talking to those bitches, would be something that Kagome would appreciate and well . . . the argument that caused her to run home last time was my fault . . . '

"Inu-yasha, I've disappointed and lied to my friends many times because of you, so could you please, just this once, help me." Kagome begs. "All you have to do is answer their questions for an hour, no more, please . . . "

A pause, then Inu-yasha growls out, "One hour, Only. Woman. That's final." He jumps down the well before hearing her answer.

In Kagome's room a few minutes later.

"Girls, Inu-yasha has agreed to answer your questions." Kagome says as she opens the door for Inu-yasha.

Inu-yasha enters the room, moves to one wall, puts his back to it, and crosses his arms on his chest. "Feh." He says with a disgusted expression on his face.

"Yes!" "Great!" "Awesome!" The three friends jump and cheer as they shout.

"Calm down, you three." Kagome says as she waves her arms to calm them down.

"Now, I'm going to be with Sota for a bit, so if there's a problem, my mom should be downstairs." Kagome says as she starts leaves the room. "Ops, I almost forgot, I just need to get some money out of my drawer." She goes over to her desk and moves some things around.

"You'd forget your head, wench, if it wasn't attached." Inu-yasha growls out as Kagome is about to leave the room.

"Inu-yasha!"
"How could you say something like that?!"
"Kagome, why do you put up with him!"

Her three friends yell as they go to the doorway to gather around their friend.

Kagome shrugs, and she says to them, "He has called me worse, and there have been times I have forgotten important things." Kagome turns around to look at Inu-yasha. "Of course, so does he. Not that he'd ever admit to it, though."

"Like what, bitch." Inu-yasha says between clenched teeth. 'How dare she say something like that?'

"My name is Ka - go - me. Or have you forgotten that, again?" She says as she leaves. "I'll be back in an hour or so, girls." She smirks. "Have fun. I warned you." Kagome closes the door behind her.

Outside the door, she stops, puts her back to the closed door and she thinks, 'Do I stay and listen . . . Knowing them, they'll say something stupid and I'll have to interrupt. But, if I spy on them . . . will Inu-yasha like that. No, he wouldn't. Plus given his senses...he'd notice me if I try.' She sighs heavily and goes downstairs. She would have really liked to be able to interrupt, should her friends questions get too personal, but . . .

Authors' note: just because I feel like it . . . I'm going to follow Kagome and come back to Inu-yasha and the three girls later in the chapter . . .

Sota's Room . . .

"Sota, how about I treat you to some ice cream and we go out to the park for a bit." Kagome asks her kid brother.

"Yeah! I want chocolate chip!" Sota yells as he jumps up from studying in his room.

Later at the nearby park . . .

Kagome and Sota are sitting in two side by side swings. They are gently swinging in the cool breeze in the late afternoon sunshine. Both are licking ice cream cones. Sota got his chocolate chip and Kagome decided on a strawberry swirl.

"Sota, before you do something that makes me mad . . . " Kagome starts. "Thank you for not bugging me with questions the last couple of days."

Sota shrugs, "I figured being nice would get me more than bugging you would."

Kagome snorts and says, "If only Inu-yasha would think like that."


"Besides, you did not want to see mom's expression when gramps tried to do something like that first night." He shivers, "Mom really didn't like gramps suggestion."

"Yeah, sometimes, I don't think gramps is in the same universe as the rest of us are in, you know."

"Yeah, He was talking about getting me a kappa's foot for my last birthday." Sota says as he licks his ice cream.

"I noticed you got a video game from him, instead."

"Ahh, I 'lost' his heating pad for a couple of days. He changed his mind, then." Sota smiles at the memory.

Sigh, "only you'd get away with that. I try something like that . . . " Kagome says looking off into space.

"And your trips down the well aren't worse."

"I don't have much choice, there, little brother."

"Yeah" Sota pauses, then, clears his throat, "You don't mind if I ask questions now, right?"

Kagome grimaces and she says, "I suppose not. But, I may not answer, ok?"

"Yeah. Are you going to marry him?" He asks that direct question with all the innocence of youth.

Kagome stops swinging, turns to look at her little brother, and she just stares at him.

"What, have I got chocolate all over my face?" Sota's free hand comes up to wipe his face. Pause. He then stops, gets up and goes over to Kagome. "Sis, You there?" He says as he waves his hand in front of her face.

The remains of Kagome's ice cream falls to ground as she twitches and she accusatively says, "Where did you get that idea, Sota?"

Sota shrugs and he says, "Watching you and him." Kagome stares back, obviously not satisfied with the explanation.

"I mean, you two are just like some of the couples in some of the manga I read, Ok. Plus, mom's always going on about this being a legend and you being a princess." He licks his cone and continues, "plus Inu-yasha's told me he's the son of the demon lord, so he's a prince. I just figured you and him would live happily ever after, you know."

"..." Kagome stares into space, this wasn't the question she was anticipating.

"You going to answer my question, sis?"

"Why aren't you asking about my injuries, and such?" Kagome tries to change the subject.

"I borrowed your tape recorder." Sota says as he licks his cone.

Kagome blinks a couple of times, "you . . . you . . . "

"I put it back, sis, ok." He shrugs like this was nothing special.

Kagome gets off her swing and picks up her brother and lifts him up, so she can hiss into his face, "What did you hear?"

"Sis! Kagome!"

"Tell me, Sota!" An expression appears in her eyes and Sota suddenly understands that Kagome has limits on her patience and that they are very close.

"Not much the first time in the living room, ok. I put it too far away."

Kagome nods and puts her brother down and says, "let's walk home." She noticed that a couple of people have turned their heads to watch the two of them. "Continue to talk as we walk." She orders in a no-nonsense tone.

Sota looks around and realizes why Kagome wants to leave. "Thank you, sis." He says in a louder than normal volume.

They leave the park and walk in a random direction.

"Keep talking, Sota." She growls out.

"Well, the second time, with your friends, well, you took so long, I didn't get everything. Tape ran out."

"Good. Very good, if you had heard everything . . . " Sota shudders at the tone in her voice. "And when I told mom?"

"Got everything then."

"I want those tapes, Sota. As soon as we get home."

"Yes, sis." Sota looks down at the ground. "I'm sorry, ok."

Kagome thinks, 'well, that explains why the recorder wasn't where I thought it would be when I looked for it earlier.'

"Hey, sis?"

Kagome looks at him, one eyebrow raised.

"Did you use it today? I was going to use it to record Inu-yasha and your friends, but I couldn't find it." Sota asks as he looks at his older sister.

Kagome blushes.

Sota smiles, but does not say a word for several steps.

"You still haven't answered my question about you . . . "

"Sota . . . " Kagome interrupts, growling like Inu-yasha.

They walk in silence for a few minutes.

"There have been times, Sota, that I asked that question myself. I promised him that I would stand by him. And, since I didn't qualify that in time, you could take that to mean all my life. Which is the same, almost, as marriage." Kagome sighs.

Sota looks up at his sister, raising an eyebrow.

Kagome's mouth twitches into a semi-smile, "I've even had a couple day dreams where I formally ask him."

"You've been watching too much American tv, sis." Sota shakes his head, "He's supposed to propose, not you."

"If I can wait that long . . . " she sighs. "There are a lot of problems to figure out before I can really answer that question, Sota." She shakes her head. "How long will the well work?"

After a pause, she continues, "There are times, when I don't mind the arguments, that much, you know. Sometimes, it's even fun, trying to come up with the comebacks. But . . . living with the arguments, all the time . . . " Her tone trails off into silence.

"Then, Sota, there is the basic question of will we live through this legendary adventure."

"Kagome, you two have to live."

"I've read legends, little brother, that do not end with the live happily ever after ending."

"But, sis . . . "

"I know, I think, no, I know, we'll live. I just don't think Inu-yasha thinks that. I think he's afraid he'll end up in hell, before this over." She finishes with great anger in her voice. "And if given the chance, I'll save him from that bitch . . . "

Sota looks puzzled, and says, "bitch?"

"I not going to answer that one, Sota." She says in harsh tone.

She sighs, and continues, "and here's something else to think about Sota. You know how mules are a cross between donkeys and horses."

"Yeah, but what . . . "

"Mules are sterile, Sota. Due to the bad genetics. Are half-demons? Their genetics . . . "

"But, Kagome, demons got magic on their side."

"I know, Sota," She smiles, "that's why I'm not really all that concerned about it." She sighs, "besides that is a problem for a long time down the road."

She looks into the sky as she says, "Sota, look about Inu-yasha and me getting married. I just don't know. I have a feeling that we'll never be normal, and that is something normal people do, ok."

She looks at the ground with a sad expression on her face. "And I would have really loved a real fancy wedding, too."

"Sis, Kagome, thank you for answering the question." Sota says in a gentle voice.

"Sota, you know if you're going to be sneaky, I'm not here all that much and it would be nice to know what's going on . . . "

"Yeah . . . no problem. I understand."

They continue to walk home . . .

At the house, in the hallway outside Kagome's door. About an hour after Kagome left . . .

'Well, the door's still there, I wonder what the room looks like . . . ' she thinks as she reaches for the door.

"Hi Guys! I'm back!" Kagome opens the door.

Inu-yasha is leaning against a wall, the same wall as when she left, his arms crossed in front of his chest, an angry scowl on his face.

Ayumi is sitting in Kagome's desk chair.

Eri and Yuka are sitting on her bed.

All three girls have very upset expressions on their faces.

"Finally!" Inu-yasha yells. He rushes the door and pushes Kagome aside as he leaves. Kagome rubs her upper arm as she watches him stomp down the hall and go downstairs

"Well, it looks like he's in a good mood . . . " She says as she turns around to look at her friends.
They do not appear to be in a good mood either. "I don't see any bloodstains and the room is basically intact. So, what's wrong, girls?"

"That's all you were concerned about Kagome?"

"Yes, I was afraid the house would be destroyed, ok." Kagome shrugs.

"Well, your mom did interrupt a couple of times, and if she hadn't . . . " Eri says. Kagome shudders.

"Well, are you going to tell me what happened, or do I go and try to pry it out of Inu-yasha?" Kagome asks her friends.

"Kagome . . . " The three friends look at each other, then Yuka starts to speak. "Kagome, you were right yesterday. All we got was 'Feh'"

"A lot, I wasn't aware that there was that many ways to say 'Feh'"

"Huh, I wasn't even aware it was a word, you know . . . "

"Oh, don't forget, 'wenches', 'bitches', and just plain 'women'"

"Yeah, 'Feh, women' and putting his noise up at us, were the most common response we got, I think" Ayumi looks at her friends and they nod in agreement.

"Sigh, I thought this would happen. He just isn't going to trust you three." Kagome's mouth twists into something like a smile. "He barely trusts me. There was no way he was going to trust three girls he's never meet, really."

"Yeah . . . you warned us . . . " Eri says.

"Look if you tell me the questions, I'll see if I can answer them, and if I can't I'll ask him and pass along the answer, OK?" Kagome offers.

"Good idea, Kagome." Ayumi says.

"Let's talk, girls." Yuka says as the four girls sit down in the middle of the room for a long talk.

Outside by the god tree.

'I should have gutted those bitches. No. Better, shatter their fucking jaws. Gods, I hate them and their stupid, stupid questions. Kagome had better be appreciative of this. Because if she isn't . . . ' Inu-yasha angrily thinks as he stares back at the house. He's grinding his teeth and squeezing his fists, trying to force the anger down.

He's never been subjected to that type of questioning before and not being able to attack back, made that the worse hour he's ever experienced, ever . . .

"Um, Inu-yasha?" Sota hesitantly asks.

"What, kid?" He growls out between clenched teeth.

"Umm, You sort of promised to tell me about killing the monster that hurt my sister, remember?" Sota quietly asks.

"Yeah . . . " Inu-yasha starts to speak, but, then his memory starts to work.

On the just completed adventure, he, with some minor help from Sango and Miroku killed a minor rock demon, but that's it. And it never even came close to hurting Kagome. Kouga, who caused her bike to fall off the cliff, left with basically minor damage. Kagura, who hurt Kagome's back, escaped, hurt, badly hurt maybe, but she escaped. And well, Sesshomaru, who hurt her leg, he left before any major damage was done to him.

And the person that caused the argument that was the reason that Kagome decided to walk home, while still hurt, and arrive here in such a bad shape is . . . him . . .

And Sota wants a story about him killing the thing that hurt Kagome . . .

"Inu-yasha?" Sota asks after a minute of watching Inu-yasha mumble to himself.

"Yeah, Kid, I was just thinking about how to tell the story, ok. Say, does, your mom having any of that, 'coke', drink around?"

"Yes, She does."

"Good, I just finished talking to those . . . "

"Kagome's friends"

"Yeah, I suppose, although why she's friends with them is beyond me . . . " Inu-yasha shakes his head. "Anyway, you think you could get some. My throats dry."

"No problem, Inu-yasha. I'll be right back!" Sota says happily as he goes into the house.

Inu-yasha's face twists, he's trying to come up with some story to pass off on Sota and he's only got a couple of minutes to come up with the lie.

He smiles, he'll cheat and tell Sota an adventure story his father told him. That should solve that problem . . .

The next day at school about halfway through the day . . .

Kagome yawns and stretches her arms out in the middle of the class.

"Miss Higurashi!" The teacher announces to the class as he approaches her desk.

"Ooop, I am sorry, sir. I just did not get much sleep last night."

"Up to the front of the class and apologize to the class for interrupting their lesson, miss Higurashi." He orders.

Kagome goes to the front of the class, blushes in embarrassment, and bows to the class. "I am sorry for the interruption." And she goes back to her desk.

During the next break . . .

"Tried, Kagome?" Eri asks.

"Huh, yeah, studied too long last night. Somebody needs to invent a way for you to squeeze about eight hours of sleep into a night while you study for eight hours in the same night . . . " Kagome shakes her head and drinks more of the coke she got at the start of the break. "I'll need more than caffeine to make thru today, I think."

Ayumi thinks as she watches her friend struggle to stay awake. 'Didn't that boy.. He said something about having something to help people stay awake so they can study for the high school exams more. His name was Haru. And what did he call it, shabu. Yeah, shabu. I'll get some for her. It'll help.'

The End.

Shabu: slang term for amphetamine. Or speed.
Thank you for reading this far.

This finishes this storyline. I basically wanted to explore Kagome's relationships in the present. (Sorry, about having very little with her grandfather, but . . . shrug, nothing came to me) I would like to know what people think about this story.

I would like to get some feedback on how you feel about this story.

The storyline breaks into two here.

Kagome's adventures in the past continue with "A shard in Kyoto"

Kagome and her friends adventures in the present . . . I will continue, if I get enough requests. It will be a new story. I've got no real title for it "Inu-yasha vs. Yakuza" is the title on my outline. Shrug.

On my profile page, I have a list of various story ideas. I would like to get some comments on those ideas. I would like to know which, you, my readers, prefer.

I am planning on continuing "A Shard in Kyoto." I should have another chapter up within a couple of weeks. (What the boys were doing as the girls wander around Kyoto.)

I am planning on continuing "when the boys are away" and it'll be a couple of weeks before I post ch 2.

I will be finishing "spring fertility festival" ch 3 should go up soon. Ch 4 will be in a couple of weeks.

(Real-life is interrupting . . . I probably won't be updated much. Or if I do, it'll probably be short spamfics or some of my older Ranma stories that I wrote years ago.)

Thank you
jeff shelton