InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When I'm Apart From You ❯ The Feudal Lord’s Investigation ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yes, I’m here again with chapter 5. I’ve been ignoring my fanfics, due to the work I’ve had in classes. I have to say that the contest is over and this fanfic, though still being updated, had won the best Au fanfic. Big thanks to me huh? ^_^

Well, I’m pleased with myself and here is chapter 5 for you all.

Please R&R!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~* ~*~*~*~*~*~

When I’m Apart From You...

Chapter 5: The Feudal Lord’s Investigation

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few days after this reoccurrence of events, Jakotsu was still quite ill. He would do nothing but lay in bed, and he refused to eat whatever the servants had placed before him.

Suikotsu had returned from Kyoto, with some of the best doctors he could find. They had spent many a day, and yet Jakotsu’s illness, or the cause of it could not be determined. The so called “medical staff” in which Suikotsu devised weren’t coming up with anything.

One of the doctors approached Suikotsu. “Suikotsu-sama, “

“Still no cause?” The brown haired man quirked his head.

“I’m afraid not. It’s a very obscure diagnosis, and I’ve never seen anything quite like this. His symptoms are very strewn and miscellaneous, but we shall not give up just yet.”

“I know Mr. Yamamoto, but I think Lord Naraku is beginning to grown edgy. The Prince’s wedding day has already passed, and he still has yet to make a dent in his recovery.”

“I realize that, Suikotsu-sama...” Dr. Yamamoto bowed respectfully and nonchalantly walked out of the room, leaving Suikotsu pondering what to do.

** Lord Naraku is indeed growing impatient, and no one is able to diagnose anything from Jakotsu-sama’s state. His condition grows worse, and I fear the worst. **

Suikotsu sat in a chair by the window, resting his elbow in the ledge and putting his head into his hand, rubbing his temples in apprehension. The brown haired doctor had sat there quite a while, still contemplating on what to do about the situation, and what to tell Lord Naraku.

Behind him, the shoji door slid slowly open and a diminutive figure stepped out.

“Suikotsu, Lord Naraku would like a word with you.” The slighter man said.

Suikotsu lifted his head up unhurriedly. ** This is not good. Perhaps Lord Naraku is going to punish me for not being able to treat his son’s condition. **

“All right, Mukotsu.” He replied, and got up slowly to egress the room.

The two began to walk down the hall, to the entrance of Naraku’s throne room. They were in stillness for a few moments, until Suikotsu, inquisitive as to why he was being called, decided to break the silence.

“Mukotsu, “ He questioned, looking at the stubby figure beneath him.

“Yes?” The small man looked up at him.

“Why am I being called into Naraku-dono’s quarters?”

“It seems that Naraku-dono is doing some investigating. He told me to gather up everyone who was out with the prince, the night that he slipped and fell into the pond beside of the peony gardens. “

“I see.” Was the only reply the doctor gave.

When he walked into the throne room, he found abundant people there, but he was a bit in shock to see someone that he hadn’t suspected.

Looking over the crowd of men, he spied Renkotsu.

**Why is he here? ** Suikotsu thought to himself. ** I thought he and the prince were not on good terms. **

The young man walked silently over to Renkotsu, and put his hand on his shoulder. The bald man slowly turned his head to see Suikotsu standing next to him.

“What is it, Suikotsu?” He asked, in his normal tone.

“Why are you here? I thought you and Jakotsu-sama had some unresolved issues.”

“Believe me, it’s not my choice, but I was in the peony gardens getting some fresh air that night. Needless to say, Prince Jakotsu and his friends were there as well.”

Before they could carry on any bit more of the discussion, they were interrupted by Naraku clearing his throat.

The multitude of men fell silent, and all faced their lord, wondering what he would have to say about the current situation at hand.

“Well.” He stood, his deep voice echoing about the large room. “I have called you all here to find out a few things. First of all, if any of you know anything of my son’s illness, I demand you tell me. If any of you are hiding something, and I find out, I’ll have you punished in the cruelest of ways.”

This seemed to fill the room with a bit of dread.

“ Second of all, since all of you were around the Prince the night when he fell ill, I would like to know what you observed that night. If the slightest thing, was a hint at an illness, I should be informed.”

Suikotsu had thought about what Jakotsu had told him that night, when they were in his room, alone. He had told him about the unexplained foreigner who had appeared and caught him before he was able to collide into the earth.

Was he the cause of Jakotsu’s illness somehow?

But he had promised to keep it a secret...

Renkotsu glanced at the brown haired man, who wore a serious expression.

“Something bothering you?” He asked.

There was no reply.

“Hey, I’m speaking to you.” The bald man’s voice became a bit harsh.

“Oh,” Suikotsu seemed to snap back into reality. “Sorry, I was just thinking about something.”

Renkotsu eyed him a bit suspiciously before returning to paying attention to the daiymou preaching on the throne.

** Just what is my son up to anyway? ** The lord thought to himself. ** There must be some reason this mysterious illness fell upon him, and I will figure it out. Is there a particular reason he wished not to be married to Lord Ako’s son? Does he have a secret lover? Does he have a growing hatred for his betrothed? **

The men began to talk amongst themselves, and it seemed that none of them knew anything, but they all feared what Naraku would do to them if they hadn’t told him something or had forgotten to tell him something.

If they failed to advise him of something they should have, they would surely meet their death for failing to report it.

Renkotsu and Suikotsu stood there, amongst Jakotsu’s many friends, and seemed silent for the longest of time. They didn’t speak to any of the other males, or even to each other, despite their acquaintance.

Mukotsu stood at the edge of the throne, trying to remember if he had forgotten any suspects.

** Why does Jakotsu-sama have to be homosexual? I would have much rather seen a room full of beautiful women, rather then all of these men.** He pondered to himself.

Naraku looked at him.

“Yes, Naraku-dono?” The stubby man asked.

“Are you sure these are all of the people who attended the prince on his way to the peony gardens?”

“Of course, my Lord.” He replied, slightly bowing.

Naraku twisted to the group of men one more.

Suikotsu’s thoughts began to wander once more, thinking about whether he should have informed Jakotsu’s secrets or not. He decided that he was responsible enough to keep those secrets, and abide by what Jakotsu had said.

The doctor seemed to notice a slight emptiness around him, so he glanced up to see what was going on. The brown haired man looked to his side to see that Renkotsu was gone.

Scouring the room for any hint of the bald man, he had found him right up next to Lord Naraku and Mukotsu.

“What’s he doing up there?” He asked himself aloud.

“Naraku-dono.” Renkotsu stepped up to the Lord, who slightly turned his head in his path.

“What is it, Renkotsu?” He asked in his usual unaffected voice.

“I have something that I wish to tell you.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~ *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Well, there is chapter 5 for you all. sorry on the long await, I’ve been trying to figure out how I wanted to do this chapter. I thought I’d be done in my usual time, but I underestimated myself. I could make all of the excuses in the world, but no one really wants to hear that. The chapter is longer though, since I’ve done this with all of my fanfics as of recently, since too many people were complaining about small lengthed chapters. So, from now on, all of my fics will be 6 pages instead of 5.