InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ When I'm Apart From You ❯ The Hired Man, Hiogo Maki ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Well, here we go with another chapter!  I apologize for the lack of updating!  My computer had to go to the shop, but I’m back and updating!!  Anyway, I’ll be updating regularly all summer long, since my school is out and I’ve graduated from it all!  And good riddance to that!

Anyway here is chapter 7 as always!

I hope you enjoy this chapter and have a great time reading it.

When I’m Apart From You...

Chapter 7: The Hired Man, Hiogo Maki

The next night, the skies were clear and the winds were crisp against the warm summer air.  It was dusk and the sky was lit up with a vibrant blood red.  The Prince was standing outside, the light winds blowing through his hair, which was down at the moment.  The raven strands danced in the wind around him in an almost enchanting manner.

His skin was still pale and he was still in the state that he had been since he first fell sick.  None of the medical attention he was getting seemed to be doing any good.

Two musicians were playing instruments for their master – Akifusa Katsuya on the flute, and Astane Touya the koto.  The others were dancing and acting joyous, trying to get their prince in a better mood.

Despite their efforts, though, the Prince still remained as solemn as ever. He seemed unamused and in a sad mood.

Jakotsu walked through the gardens, through the clusters of men who were dancing joyously.  He was enjoying the smell of the peony flowers, as he always had before. Then, as if he had sensed something almost paranormal, he stopped dead in his tracks.

The black haired boy slowly turned his head and spotted Bankotsu, standing amongst the peony beds.  A smile lit up on Jakotsu’s face upon seeing the handsome stranger. 

The handsome stranger returned the smile with a soft featured one of his own. Earlier on that day, a thorough search having been made during the day in the immense peony beds with absolutely no result, not even the sign of a footmark, the thing was increasingly strange. A consultation was held, and it was decided by the lord of the castle to invite a veteran officer of great strength and renown, Maki Hiogo, to capture the youth should he appear that evening. Maki Hiogo readily consented, and at the appointed time, dressed in black and consequently invisible, concealed himself among the peonies.

I see him. Hiogo thought to himself. But he is off in the distance.  His features are blurred, I should move in for a better look.

Hiogo began to creep slowly up to Bankotsu, so he could make out his features.

Music seemed to have a fascination for Bankotsu.  Whenever he had made any of his appearances, they were all during musical events.  None of the other men whom were dancing seemed to notice Bankotsu standing there.

Hiogo, did, however and still hiding amongst the peonies, waiting for his precise moment to attack.

Watching and waiting for the young samurai.

It seemed that Bankotsu was finding a small rhythm and doing small movements to the music.  He was looking quite suspicious dancing alone, far from everyone, alone in the peony beds.  He was swaying his body back and fourth and doing a graceful turn every once and a while.

He’s a good dancer. Jakotsu thought to himself, taking in his features with his eyes as he danced. Pretty sexy looking when he dances as well.

The prince stood there, transfixed on the dancing samurai.  The dusk light silhouetting his body with its crimson lighting, almost as if he were dancing in blood.

Somehow, the prince was tantalized by this.

Everyone else had been acting as if they didn’t know that he was there.  Jakotsu didn’t seem to care, but Suikotsu, who was leaning against a nearby wall, holding a basin of sake, saw Bankotsu perfectly.  He was keeping a watchful eye on the samurai.

Also, he was watching Jakotsu, knowing of the prince’s state and that only Bankotsu had been the soul thing that seemed to be curing his illness.

Be careful, Jakotsu-sama… Suikotsu thought to himself.

Consequently, Touya and Katsuya resumed their concerts, as if nothing were ever happening.

Slowly and surely, people began to notice that the prince was staring at the paranormal wonder that was dancing a slow, shifting dance in the peony beds, seeming not to notice Jakotsu, or the others who had now accumulated in number, staring at him.

It seemed that only the musicians were the only ones who seemed unaware of the samurai’s appearance.

Hiogo was still at his place in the peony beds, daring not to make any movements.  He remained silent and motionless.

The men were playing a piece called, "Sofuren," and surely enough, more and more people began to notice the magnificently dressed samurai, with the peonies which were embroidered into his clothing.

Everyone gazed at him, and wondered why Maki Hiogo did not jump up and catch him. The fact was that Maki Hiogo was so much astonished by the noble bearing of the youth that at first he did not want to touch him.

He is…Magnificent...   He thought to himself, his features stricken with awe and shock.

Recovering himself, he began to think things through.  He is of nobility! . . . But Naraku-dono has ordered this of me.  I must fulfill his orders to bring this samurai back to him.  He has, without a doubt, infiltrated the castle. No matter what the rank, he has committed a crime and must be punished.

Hiogo pondered many things to himself, trying to muster the courage and give himself good reasons for going through with assaulting a noble in such a manner.  He reasoned with himself that Naraku would have his head if he didn’t perform his task accordingly.

He knew that Naraku would not tolerate failure.

Well, it wasn’t much, but it was a start, ne?  I hope you enjoyed and I also hope that you’ll take time to review, as always.  I want you to review, even if you only have one word to say.  I really want reviews!  They are much appreciated!

Well, R&R and please come back to read more!!