InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where No Hanyou Has Gone Before ❯ Obsevations ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 3

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu-yasha or Star Trek Voyager. And I am not getting for any money for this story.

"Speaking"
'Thoughts'
(#Authors note, see bottom of the page, whenever you feel like it, so as not to interrupt the story.)

Sorry about all the Italics at the end of last chapter I don't know how that happened it wasn't meant to be.

Oh and this chapter I'm doing from the Voyager crew's observations and interactions between Kagome and Inu-yasha.
So on with the show this is it.






Chapter 3
OBSERVATIONS


Captain Janeway sat in her ready room looking over reports and contemplating her next move. She thought about what

Inu-yasha and Kagome had said of their now common enemy, he was a half demon, but unlike Inu-yasha, he was made up of many different demons which he could get rid of at will and absorb anyone whose power or knowledge he found desirable. In a way he was not unlike the Borg, but she could handle the Borg, she knew them, she knew almost nothing of Naraku and his motives. And she had the feeling deep in her gut that Kagome and Inu-yasha where holding something back.

She sighed, leaned back in her chair and rubbed her temples as the the chime signalling someone was at the door sounded.

"Come." She said a little sharper than usual and looked up.

"Miss Higurashi, Inu-yasha, It was good of you to come."

"Captain, we would like to apologise for this morning." Janeway wondered how many times she apologised for the boy. The girl shot a glance to her dog-eared friend who just grunted in response, crossing his arms in a closed off sort of way. Realising this was all the apology she would get from him, Janeway accepted and got down to business.


"Apology accepted, I realise you are not used to life aboard a starship so I'll go lenient on you. But also realise that while you are on my ship, you will do things my way, if that does not sit well with you, I suggest you keep your comments to yourself." She new she was being harsh but she needed to maintain some sense of order out here so far away from home.


"Yes we understand." Said Kagome before Inu-yasha could get more upset. Even though the boy was outwardly seething Janeway could see a sort of understanding, but whether it was of the situation, some unspoken message from the girl or both, she wasn't sure.


"Very good. Since you may be here for a while before we can get you back to your own time, you might want to get to know the layout of the ship. First you should know that certain areas are restricted, such as the Cargo Bays, Engineering, and the Bridge, unless given permission. I'm sure you've already noticed that most things are voice activated so feel free to access the ships computers to learn more about this time, from what I've read it's not too different from computers of your time." Janeway said addressing Kagome.


"No, I guess not." She gave a small chuckle and scratched her head, Inu-yasha just looked at her funny.

"B'elanna, my chief engineer, has informed me that she has gotten Warp power back on and we should arrive at the planet by noon tomorrow. In the mean time if you'd like to keep busy you can assist Paris and Kim on the Holo-deck. They could use some insight into what happened back in your time right before you ended up here."


"We want to be of any help we can." Said Kagome eagerly.


"They should be on Holo-deck two, just instruct the Turbo lift to take you there."


"Holo-deck", "Turbo lift?" They both questioned at once. 'Of course they would probably have different names for things than in their times, she'd have to get used to it, though for their sake she hoped she didn't have to.


"Tom and Harry can explain the Holo-deck to you when you get there. As for a Turbo lift, in your time I believe you called it an elevator."

She remembered Tom mentioning that the time they had travelled back in time to 1996 Earth.


"Ohh." They both chimed in.


"Now miss Higurashi I'd like to speak with you alone for a moment." Inu-yasha shot her a suspicious glare but left after Kagome assurance that she'd be all right.


After he had gone Kagome gave her a questioning look.

"Kagome..., may I call you Kagome?" She asked as she got up from her seat to pace the room, at Kagome's nod she continued.


"I don't like to pry in personal matters, but if they affected my crew I feel it my duty."


"If this is about Inu-yasha's outburst, I promise he won't do it again, he's really not that bad, please don't throw us off the ship, he just..."


"Kagome, I have no intention of throwing you off the ship. I'm sure he's... just a big puppy dog. " Though she wasn't one to be so naive as to blatantly put her trust in someone she just met, she couldn't help but like this couple from the past.


"Oh, then what do you want to talk about." Kagome asked mood brightening somewhat.


"I have a concern, Naraku is a very strong enemy, made stronger by the Jewel of the Four Souls he now possesses. Your story was fairly detailed when it came to the origin of the Jewel, but seemed to be lacking in some details when it came to Naraku's own motivations. Is there something I should be aware of?" She said matter-of-factly, Kagome started to fidget, a distinct tell in Janeway's eyes.


"Does it have anything to do with why Inu-yasha is after him?" She pressed on.


"I..It's kind of personal."


"If it's something we need to know to defeat him or if it will endanger my crew in any way, I need to know."


She saw Kagome go calm and a sad note came to her voice, "All you need to know is that Naraku is very manipulative, expect the unexpected. Naraku worries Inu-yasha more than he likes to admit. And I'm worried what will happen to Inu-yasha when he is finally defeated. He's hurt a lot of people and will hurt more before we capture him. I'm not even really sure of his motivations."

It seemed that was all she was going to get from Kagome, but she didn't see any point in pressing an obviously touchy subject. She was satisfied and when the time came she had a feeling she could trust them.


"All right, you'd better go before he starts scratching at the door." The room was sound proofed, but she could picture him pacing the corridor impatiently.


The girl gave a relieved and half amused smile before she walked out the doors.

*****

On the Holo-deck Tom and Harry had been going over the sensor logs and trying to recreate the incident that brought the strange couple from the past, when they got the call from the Captain that, the affore mentioned couple would be joining them soon.


"Well this should sure make things interesting." Commented Tom.


"Interesting, huh. What if he tries that Wind Scar thing that his Holo-deck character can do?" After Harry had seen the destructive force of the Wind Scar and the boy's temper that morning he was a little stressed.


"I wouldn't be too worried, I've seen what the girl Kagome can do to him, first hand. Besides it seems the writer of the program exaggerated a few things." Tom tinkered with the controls, "Anyway, Inu-yasha doesn't seem so bad."


"I guess not." Harry shrugged, 'He probably just misses his friends in the feudal era.'



"This must be it." "How can you tell, everything in this fucked up place looks the same." "Well its the only door around, it's got to be it."

Came voices from the corridor.


"Wanna bet that's them."


"I've learned not to make any bets with you Paris." Harry said. Tom smirked back as Kagome and Inu-yasha entered the Holo-deck.


"Oh hi, ..." She faltered trying to remember their names.


"I'm Tom and this is Harry." Tom gestured.


"Hi, Tom, Harry, the Captain sent us to help. Though I'm not sure how we can help." Kagome greeted them with a bright smile.


"Well let's start with just before you got here. What were you doing?"


"We were just coming back from my time."


"Through the well, is that right?"


"Yes,... when Naraku surprised us. Inu-yasha fought him. He used the Wind Scar." Tom saw Harry gulp at this.

"... and I guess it struck part of the well, I'm not really sure, it was all kind of a blur. But the next thing we knew we were here."


"Okay so maybe your Wind Scar,... opened the well's time portal around whoever was standing near the well and that coincided with the time portal created by the chronoton electrical storm outside the ship. Somehow the time portal opened inside the Holo-deck, I'm still not sure why." Stated Harry mostly to himself.


"But how would they have ended up here? I mean here is no where near the well or even Earth, what would be the connection?" Asked Paris.


"Um, I'm not sure I completely follow this, but, what if the connection was the Jewel, calling to itself through time to be completed? That could happen, right?" Kagome looked at Inu-yasha who looked lost.


"It's a possibility, but without knowing more about the properties of the Jewel..."


"Keh whatever, can you get us home?" Inu-yasha interrupted Harry


"Not yet, have patience." Tom gave him a reassuring smile.


"Just get us back to the well, it will probably take us home." Inu-yasha said with annoyance, but Tom sensed he really believed it would work, hell maybe it would but...

"Unfortunately we're no where near Earth and I'm not even sure if your well still exists in this time." Tom saw both their moods deflate, he couldn't have that.

"Tell you what, let's take a break, me and Harry have been at this for hours with no solution. Would you like to see what the Holo-deck can do?" Kagome was the first to get excited, and while Inu-yasha was more subdued he never the less looked slightly intrigued.


"I've only browsed through this story, and it seems to deviate slightly from what you've told us about your tale, so I'm interested to know what is true and what is false. Computer, run 'Inu-yasha A Feudal Fairy Tale' chapter one."


The stark grey room they had been standing in dissolved into a dense forest. Inu-yasha and Kagome jumped a bit in shock but Kagome seemed more awed than the wary Inu-yasha.


"Wow, how does it do that?" Asked Kagome.


"It's a complex system of light and photons." Harry said walking over to stand beside Kagome.


"Keh it's a trick."

"No Inu-yasha, it's kind of like the t.v., you remember the box with the moving pictures from my time." Kagome moved over to take Inu-yasha's hand. Tom saw him visibly calm at her touch, amazing.


"Yeah like that isn't wired enough." They watched the scene of their first encounter replay surreally before their eyes.


"So did he really try to kill you?" Harry asked not looking at Inu-yasha.


"Hey I'm right here asshole." Inu-yasha replied.


'Harry you'd better watch yourself.' Thought Paris.


"If I was trying to kill her, she would be dead right now." Inu-yasha said cockily.


"Riiight, you were just grumpy cause I woke you up." She half joked but then grew quiet, "And because I looked like Ki..." She stopped mid sentence and then quickly changed the subject. Harry didn't notice, but it seemed Inu-yasha did and Tom could see an almost ashamed look come over him.

"You where never that fierce, this Holo-character's eyes are deadly." Kagome finished.

Tom decided to changed the scene, so he called out, "Computer play individual scenes in random order." This time the scene dissolved to a group sitting around a camp fire, Kagome, Inu-yasha, the characters Tom remembered as Sango, Miroku, and Shippo.


"Even though they're not quite the same, don't they remind you of them?" Kagome spoke to Inu-yasha with a sad expression of longing on her face.


"Keh, bet it was Miroku who wrote this, look what he has Sango wearing."


'I guess it is a little unrealistically skimpy for that time period.' Tom admitted. Though intentional or not Inu-yasha's comment had brought a smile back to Kagome's lips.


"Where's Shippo?" She asked after a few minutes of watching the scene play out.


"Isn't that Shippo?" Harry pointed to a two tailed cat with orange fir.


"No that's, well I'm not sure, kind of Kirara." Kagome said as Inu-yasha started laughing apparently Shippo's altered character design was greatly amusing. Kagome smacked him on the arm.


A few more scenes changed and more half truths where brought to light. Such as apparently Kagome really could blow up half a building along with the demons inside it with her miko power. But she had to either charge up an object, such as an arrow and let it fly or be in direct contact. She could not shoot the energy directly from her hands like the Holo-character of Kagome could.


"I'm sorry the writer seems to have taken some liberties with your story, but maybe we can correct the problem." Harry said.


"That's okay it was kind of fun, kind of like an alternate universe fan fiction of our lives." Kagome said cheerfully, Inu-yasha seemed to catch her cheerful mood as well.


Tom was about to end the program when he noticed a mood shift in the couple from the past. It was a scene he hadn't seen before, the Kagome Holo-character was watching the Inu-yasha Holo-character embrace a mysterious woman that looked very similar to Kagome.

"Kikyo." The Holo-Inu-yasha whispered seductively and both Kagomes went instantly pale and Inu-yasha just looked shocked.

The Holo-Kagome turned and ran, the scene followed her through the woods as she collapsed on the ground in tears.

Real Kagome looked almost equally as upset, while real Inu-yasha looked to be waging some sort of emotional battle in himself.

Holo-Kagome continued crying as a tall figure slowly, almost sensuously made it's way towards her. As it came closer you could begin to make out the long flowing silver hair and golden eyes.


"Sesho-maru." Holo-Kagome said in relief, Inu-yasha said in anger, and Kagome said in pure shock.


"What the hell are you doing with my brother." Seethed Inu-yasha. The Holo-characters slowly inched towards each other.


"That isn't me, that's the Holo-deck character. That's just... Eww." Kagome pulled a face at Inu-yasha.


Tom needed to end this before it got really ugly. "Computer end program." They were back in the grey room.


Inu-yasha was still seething and he looked a little hurt by what he just saw.


"Remember it's just a story, it isn't real. You said yourself it's not very accurate." Harry tried to reason.


They both clamped their mouths shut, seeming to at least in part accept this. Though they seemed to still be wrestling with some doubts.


"Lets go to the mess hall we could all use something to eat." Tom said, while he thought, 'And you guys need something to take your mind off your troubles.'


*****

They walked to the Mess Hall in silence, got their food in silence, and sat down in silence. Tom watched them from the counter as he was getting his own food from Neelix, the cook.


"B'Elanna's not here?" Neelix observed.


"I tried to drag her away from Engineering, but you know how she is." Tom said.


"Shouldn't she have regular meals in her condition?"


"B'Elanna hates when I check up on her, but she said she'd replicated a sandwich."


"And you naturally had Lieutenant Carey confirm this."


"Naturally." Tom said with a light smile.


After the short talk as Tuvok, would put it, Neelix leaned in to whisper. "What's wrong with those two? Ensign Ashmore said he was violent and rude, but that she was energetic and cheerful. But they both look like their in a bad mood now." He said gesturing to where Kagome and Inu-yasha sat with Harry.


'Voyager's gossip grape vine at work again.' Paris thought but said. "Some sort of lovers spat I think." And instantly regretted it.


"Well I think it's time for this moral officer to get to work, don't you?" Neelix said brightly while leaving the counter.


"Neelix, wait..." Tom tried to stop him but it was too late. 'He means well but he'll just make things worse.' He thought shaking his head.


"Why hello there, how is everything?" Inu-yasha growled at Neelix, and Kagome just gave him a polite smile.


He continued. "I see you haven't touched the food, perhaps I can get you something more to your liking."


"Every thing's fine, Neelix." Harry tried to intervene.

Neelix just ignored him. "I hear you're having relationship problems."


Paris smacked his head mentally and saw Kagome turn red.


"I don't have relationship problems." Inu-yasha grumbled stressing the I in the sentence.


"Oh really, Then why is it you get jealous whenever I even glance at some other guy?" Kagome challenge apparently fed up with keeping her thoughts to herself.


"Maybe it's because you're always flirting with Koga, and now Sesho-maru."


"I have never, I would never.... how many times do I have to tell you that was not me!" She was standing hovering over him now in a rage, not even when Tom had witnessed her sit Inu-yasha before did she look this angry.


"You're a big flirt." He countered.



"What do you care. When this is all over you'll just, just...You're such a hypocrite!" She said in a rage then continued icily, "Think what ever you want, I'm going... " she faltered then finished angrily, "away!"


Kagome stormed out of the Mess Hall leaving a pissed yet somewhat humbled Inu-yasha in her wake. With the whole Mess Hall staring at him, he let out a loud "Feh" and left in the opposite direction than Kagome had taken.


"I haven't seen a display like that since before you and B'Elanna got married." Harry commented to Tom, who just sighed.


'We weren't that bad, ... were we?' Tom thought to himself.


*****

A little while later Harry needed to know that Kagome was okay. He hated conflict. Tom would probably tease him that he had a crush on the girl.


He'd say, "Harry, Harry, Harry, first it was the wrong twin, then the ex-Borg, the dead woman, a terrorist, and now a girl 10 years younger than you from the past who's boyfriend could rip you to shreds with his claws."

Yep he'd say that all right, but it wasn't the truth. In truth he wasn't entirely sure what he felt, maybe it was a sort of big brother thing. But that was strange considering he had only just met her yesterday. Regardless of why, he went to her quarters to talk to her.


He rang the chime. A sniffle followed by a nasty "Go away." was heard from within.


"I'm sorry, I came at a bad time." He turned to leave, but heard her shuffle towards the door and open it.


"Oh, Mr. Kim." She said out of respect, probably trying to make up for being rude. "What is it?" She asked politely enough.


"Well you seemed a bit upset, so I thought I'd see how you were." Harry said.


"Fine." She did not look fine, her eyes were puffy and her face was streaked from crying. She sighed, "It's an old argument."


"Well if you need someone to talk to..."


"Thank you," She took a deep breath. "It's really stupid, I just get so jealous of Kikyo and then he has the nerve to get jealous of Koga, when that's all just one sided. I don't want to push him when he's still hung up on Kikyo. It seems silly to be jealous of a past life, right?"


"Kikyo's your past life?" Harry asked, though he suspected she didn't need any prompting at this point. She seemed to want to get it off her chest.

"Yeah, this is why you should never meet your past life. You know there are girls who would go gagga over a boy if he said he fell in love with your soul, it's supposed to be romantic. It's not when two people are sharing that soul. I can't blame him for being confused though." Kagome paused for breath.


'It would certainly be confusing if the woman you loved happened to be in two separate bodies.' Thought Harry though still a bit confused.


She leaned against the wall, drained from her rant. "I just want to be with him, to share the time we have together, but why did I meet him if I just have to say good-bye to him in the end." She seemed to say this more to herself than to Harry.

"I know I'll forgive him and things will go back to normal. I just want him to be happy."


"At the cost of your happiness." Harry ventured, but instead of sadness he saw shock.


"His happiness is my happiness. Whatever path he chooses in the end I want to share his happiness while I can." She paused again looking better than before. "Ahhh, I feel better now." She stretched and moved away from the wall. "Thank you, you're a good listener."


"Um sure." Harry was as confused as ever as he watched her retreat back into her quarters.


*****


Tom found him crouched at a window on the observation deck.


"What are you doing here?" Inu-yasha growled at him. Unfazed Tom strolled over to the window to lean casually beside it.


"Meeting someone, finding you here is just a coincidence." Tom could see he didn't believe him, it really was just a coincidence. But why not take the opportunity to smooth his ruffled fir.


"You know, I can only imagine what seeing something like that would make you feel. But it wasn't real. I know I haven't known either of you for very long but I find it hard to believe she would do something like that to you, it's clear to anyone how devoted she is to you."


"She shouldn't be." Inu-yasha looked down at the floor. 'The scene with him and the other girl was true?' Tom realized.


"So, who is this Kikyo?" Silence "There's something between you, or at least there used to be?"


"What are you psychic?" Inu-yasha looked at him now, bewildered.


'So I was right.' "If you care at all for the girl you should apologise, believe me it's not worth it. Even if the making up part is fun." Tom's mind went off to happy memories, but Inu-yasha cocked an eyebrow at him.


"It doesn't matter, in the end she'll go back to her world and I'll go with Kikyo."

"So why haven't you gone with this Kikyo before?"


"I..." He said hesitantly. "I made a promise." He got suddenly angry and huffed. Tom wondered, to who, and what, but didn't say anything about it.


Instead Tom said, "Kagome is here, now and it's clear you care for her too, why waste the time you have together? And if you never get back, you'll have all the time in the world together." (#AN)


Inu-yasha looked deep in thought. After a while though he said casually, "You're mates coming."


'I guess that discussions over, he is a stubborn one, just like my mate. Wait a minute...' Paris thought, then said,


"We don't usually call it that around the rest of the crew, makes them nervous or something." Just then B'Elanna stepped onto the deck from the turbo lift.

"How could you tell she was coming?" Tom whispered as he waited for B'Elanna to walk over. Inu-yasha just thumbed his nose.


"Hey fly boy." B'Elanna greeted Tom with a kiss. 'She's in a good mood, she doesn't usually like PDA's, even if Inu-yasha is the only other one here.'


After they pulled apart she turned to give a polite greeting to Inu-yasha. But he was no longer standing at the window, he was now hunched over in pain.


"What's wrong?" They asked him worriedly. The boy didn't answer he was too occupied staring at his hand and the now reseeding claws. Not only that but his dog ears were disappearing and his hair was turning black. He turn bewildered greyish/purple eyes upon them and muttered, "W...Why...?" before passing out.


Tom shot a glance at B'Elanna making sure it wasn't something affecting her half-Human nature as well. 'No still my B'Elanna.'

Tom observed. But the half dog demon was transformed before their eyes, and now looked fully Human.


*****


"Amazing, all the DNA that made up his former self has now been repressed. You say he just changed right in front of you?" Tom and B'Elanna nodded at the Doctor's question.


"Is this anything like when I had my DNA extracted by the Vidiians?" (#AN) B'Elanna said with a hint of nervousness that only Tom recognised.


Tom glanced at his wife, it had been a long time ago, but he suspected she still had nightmares about it, though she won't talk about them. It was the first time he had seen her cry, though she wasn't herself then.


"I don't think so there isn't a Demon Inu-yasha running around the ship, he's still him, right Doc?" Tom ventured.



"It would appear so, though I can't explain it." Said the Doctor.


"Then why don't you just ask." Inu-yasha said annoyed. He had woken up somewhere in the middle of all this.


"Inu-yasha!" Kagome burst through the Sick-Bay doors. Inu-yasha sat cross legged on the bed waiting for Kagome to cross to him.


"What happened? I heard you collapsed and..." She trailed off as she took in his appearance.


"That's what we are trying to determine." The Doctor cut in, but Kagome paid little attention.


"You're not due for another 2 and a half weeks."


"I know." Inu-yasha said a bit worried.


"You mean this sort of thing has happened before?" This time she acknowledged the Doctor's question.


She glance from the Doctor back to Inu-yasha who sighed and began speaking.


"Once a month my demon blood disappears and I become Human. But it shouldn't be the new moon for almost three weeks."


"Earth's new moon is still in three weeks in this time right?" Kagome asked, and Paris consulted a nearby computer terminal and nodded his confirmation.


"You're demon blood does not disappear it merely goes into a state of dormancy. As for why it would be happening now, and why you fainted I can only speculate. You are the only Hanyou I have ever seen. However all species go through a process of adapting to space, your body is probably readjusting to the space cycle since it is different from the cycles of the moon on earth. You will be fine, you're not in any physical danger, you may go." The Doctor said drolly.


"That's it?" Kagome started at him.


"What more do you want?"


She faltered. "Kagome." Inu-yasha stood by the doors waiting for her.


She hesitated a moment and then they left together.


"That's some mood swing." Tom commented.


"What's that supposed to mean?" His wife said annoyed now.


'Woops, guess its gonna be a long night.' He thought as he followed behind his wife and said a tired "Goodnight." to the Doctor.




######

Okay that's it, reviews are welcome as always.

I have a few author comments, first I forgot to include the Neelix character in the prologue so he's basically a Delta Quadrant alien (Telaxian) and is now the cook and self-appointed moral officer, he likes to medal.

Secondly: When Tom says, "you'll have all the time in the world together." Even though he travels throughout the Universe, he's a down to Earth guy so he says World instead of Universe.

and the Vidiians are aliens with a deadly disease that they need replacement body parts for from other races. They took B'Elanna because her Klingon side was thought to be immune to the disease and they needed a pure specimen so she was split in two, one fully Klingon and another fully Human. The Klingon side died saving the Human side. And it turned out Human B'Elanna needed the Klingon DNA to live so it was put back in her and she became whole again.

Anything else that is unclear just tell me and I'll try to clear it up, there will be some action coming.