InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where No Hanyou Has Gone Before ❯ Challenges ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter 5



Disclaimer: I do not own Inu-yasha or Star Trek Voyager. And I am not getting for any money for this story.

"Speaking"
'Thoughts'
(#Authors note, see bottom of the page, whenever you feel like it, so as not to interrupt the story.)

Chapter 5: Challenges


Meeting room: Several minutes before Kagome and Inu-yasha awoke to their bad news.


"There seems to be some debris from a battle that appears to have started in space. No life forms are present on the planet." Droned, Seven, the former Borg Drone. (AN#1)

"The shuttle is intact with some minor damage, no propulsion but it's easily repaired." Put in B'Elanna.

"He must have liked what he saw on the other craft better. Though there's some good news, there is a clear warp trail I can follow." Paris said.

"Very good, B'Elanna take a repair team down and get it aboard as quickly as possible. I want to get under way as soon as it is. I'll find some way to tell our guests the disappointing news." Janeway sighed. "Dismissed. Tuvok, Chakotay, a word."


Tuvok and Chakotay stayed as the rest left to execute her orders.


"Well...?" She began leadingly, in a more relaxed tone.

"Captain, I've done as you asked and hidden all computer entries of their time periods, though from what I can gather it's mostly false information anyway." said Chakotay.

"It's just a precaution, in case they decide to explore the computer system, I wouldn't want them to know too much about future events of their periods. Tuvok, any word on Inu-yasha's condition?"

"Not as of yet, the last time I checked they were both still in their quarters. . . Captain do you think it's wise not to keep a closer eye on them? He does carry a deadly weapon." Asked the security chief,Tuvok.

"Some of the crew members have expressed concern about his sword and his temper." Chimed in Chakotay.

"I understand your concern, I'll speak with him about it. I believe we can trust them, but if they give me reason not to you'll be the first to know. That is all gentlemen." She said in dismissal and they left.

*****

Inu-yasha took the news of Naraku's flight surprisingly well. He only yelled for two minutes, mostly cursing. News of his sword in danger of being locked up, he took less well, but he promised not to draw it on any of the crew again, and was once again aloud to keep his sword.

The ship was following the warp trail. Kagome and Inu-yasha tried to kept occupied for most of the day, wandering around the ship. Inu-yasha was getting the hang of the space ship as they called it. Life here was different but not all together un-copeable and like with Kagome's time he chose to ignore the things he didn't understand.

That didn't mean he wasn't learning though, he learned many things, for instance: Apparently these weird creatures that inhabited the ship were not Youkai, but aliens, 'Whatever that was.' And some of the ones who he originally thought where Youkai, with their light hair and eyes where actually Earth foreigners, Humans who lived somewhere other than Japan. Of course he knew there were places other than Japan, he knew Kagome studied something called English. Now he new there were other Earths, kind of, they called them other names but they were like Earth with different people living on them.

Kagome explained to him as much as she could gather from the inhabitants of this ship. They also didn't all speak Japanese even though he heard them all in Japanese, the computer translated everything for them somehow. He still wasn't clear on the hole computer thing, he guessed it was some other kind of Alien. He tried not to think about it too much. The important thing now was that they were after Naraku again finally.


*****

B'Elanna walked into the Mess Hall with Tom and Harry to an amazing transformation, the chairs had all been removed and the tables were replaced with lower ones that you had to sit at, (many of the crew seemed awkwardly positioned on the floor) there were numerous draperies hanging about as well as lighted paper lanterns hanging from the ceiling.

She looked to Harry and Tom to see if they new what was going on but they seemed as awe struck as she was.

Neelix waved them over from across the room.

"Neelix, what's going on?" Asked Tom.

"I thought our guests might be a little home sick, so I thought I'd give them a little taste of home. Also as an apology for earlier, I think I may have provoked that fight." Neelix said with regret. "It seemed to put them at ease, slightly." He said nervously, always wanting to please all of the people all of the time.

"It looks great Neelix." Said Harry diplomatically. "How did you do all of this, and in such a short time."

"It wasn't easy I..." B'Elanna tuned out the long explanation Neelix went into in favor of taking in the atmosphere. It was really lovely, he was very thoughtful. Her eyes came to rest on the honored guests, they both looked a little overwhelmed, the girl was politely nibbling at her food and the still Human boy was trying to ignore everything around him.

Tom nudged B'Elanna on the arm, a clear sign that she needed to rejoin the conversation.

"Well you've outdone yourself this time Neelix." Tom said jovially. "Yes, it's amazing." B'Elanna added brightly, of course it sounded lame but Neelix didn't seem to notice.

"Help yourself to some fish and rice, and there's some tea too." Neelix tottered off to great some new arrivals.

After they got they're food, 'Tis doesn't look like any Earth fish I've ever seen,' B'Elanna eyed her dish warily. Tom of course decided to sit with Inu-yasha and Kagome, Tom never misses a chance to make new friends.

"Hi,. Enjoying yourselves?" Tom greeted as they sat on the floor.

"Oh, yes this was very thoughtful." Kagome said with a hint of nervousness.

"We're not here for enjoyment." Inu-yasha practically growled at Tom. One of these days he's going to get an appendage chopped off for his troubles, or worse.

"Inu-yasha don't be rude." Kagome scolded him.

He seemed to barely acknowledge it but looked chastised none- the- less as he turned to his food instead.

"You're still not back to normal I see." Tom frowned. "Doc wasn't able to help?"

"No." Inu-yasha and Kagome frowned.

"You'll probably be back to normal in no time." Harry tried his best to cheer them up. "How's the food?"

Inu-yasha made a face at his meal. "Neelix's cooking does take some getting used to." Commented Tom.



"We slept right into the after noon, how can you stand it always being like night time around here I think I'd go nuts. Maybe you could put in like changing scenery screens like in "Back to the Future 2" or something." Kagome commented.


"How about it B'Elanna, think you and your team would be up to the challenge?" Tom seemed to know what she was talking about, the rest of them however... 'Must be a 20th century thing him and his fascination with history.'

B'Elanna was never one to back down from a challenge, "Oh sure I'll put it on the list right after the olympic sized swimming pool." She said sarcastically and Tom chuckled.



Tom started talking with Kagome about something he called pop culture, Harry was even dragged into the conversation. B'elanna on the other hand never really saw the appeal of that time as Tom did. Maybe because she had been brought up mostly Klingon, she didn't feel the same connection to her Human roots, as Tom did.

To anybody else it might seem like flirting (She hoped it didn't seem that way to Inu-yasha, he seemed the jealous type.) But B'Elanna recognised it for what it was. Tom "flirted" with everyone, it was his seemingly easy going nature, his mask, pretending everything was all right even if it wasn't. At least that's how it used to be, now it was mostly just his need for company.

Still she couldn't help but watch Tom talk so casually, he just had a way of being comfortable in any company, in a way B'Elanna could never be.

She glance over at the now Human dog-eared boy, 'Dog ears I wonder if he ever had to hide them in his world, the way I hid my forehead?' B'Elanna wondered idly. He seemed to be watching Kagome in the same way B'Elanna had been watching Tom, following her movements and subtle gestures but not really listening.

He suddenly turned a glare on B'Elanna. Unfazed she just raised an eyebrow at him. She suspected he was more bark than bite at the moment. Now if she had threatened him or his friend physically, she'd be in for a workout.

'I might be able to take him, but I'm definitely not going to risk it, since it wouldn't just be my life I was putting in danger.' B'Elanna thought.

Satisfied that he had sufficiently put her in her place, which he hadn't by the way, he returned to his previous activity and B'Elanna to hers.

She was brought out of her reverie by Tom calling someone over. Icheb, the other resident Borg they had rescued. She glared at Tom. She wasn't sure who he was trying to make uncomfortable, he knew perfectly well the poor boy thought she had a crush on him a few weeks ago. And she suspected he had a little crush on her. (AN #2) That's what she got for being nice to people. Tom smiled apologetically back. Okay so he just forgot.

"Icheb, meet Kagome and Inu-yasha, Kagome and Inu-yasha, meet Icheb. He's about your age, I think." Tom introduced them.

"Hi." Kagome said politely, and Inu-yasha's hackles where instantly razed.

"Good evening,.." He began to great us all until his eyes rested on mine and he turned bright red, something I didn't know Borg could do, then he made an excuse and left.

"Tom, when will you stop teasing the boy?"

"I was just being polite. I can't help it if you're not an easy woman to get over." Tom smirked at B'Elanna and it was her turn to blush now.

*****

On the Bridge:

Captain I'm showing five ships approaching rapidly, all armed." Announced the woman at the Opps station frantically.

"Try hailing them." The Captain ordered.

"No response." Responded the woman at Opps.

"Is Naraku aboard any of them?"

"Negative Captain." Tuvok did a quick scan.

"Keep trying to make cont..." The Captain was cut of as an outside force, like weapons fire, rocked the ship.

*****

Back in the Mess Hall:

Kagome found talking about her time as if it were history was kind of unnerving at first and she wondered if Inu-yasha felt the same when she she did it in his time. As with the Holo-deck program she had to correct a few things but it turned out to be kind of fun and nostalgic.

As they were about to finish their dinner, the ship started to shake and a loud thud was heard followed by the dimming of the lights and a loud blaring and flashing of red lights.

"All officers report to their duty stations." Came the booming voice of the Captain over the ships speakers.

Their diner companions got up to leave, when Inu-yasha grabbed hold of the nearest arm. "Are we under attack? It's Naraku." He snarled.

"We don't know that. Stay here you'll be safe enough." Tom said and turned to leave, giving his wife a tender "See you later." before heading in opposite directions.

"Stay here? No fucking way."

"Inu-yasha. What are you going to do, and in your condition too? Just stay here." She tried reasoning, but he was not having it.

'Maybe I can get Neelix to hit him over the head with a frying pan?' She scraped that idea, obviously, and he was already headed out the door.

"Where are you going anyway?"

"The Captain."

"But...." The ship shook and she stumbled falling on her but as usual. 'Stupid, clumsy, awkward, changing teenage body, never does anything right.' She grumbled as Inu-yasha pulled her to her feet.


The ceiling above her was shaking and looked on the verge of collapse.

There wasn't anywhere to go and less time to get there.

It gave one last groan before it started it's rapid descent. She closed her eyes as it came towards her. Inu-yasha got in the way and got knocked out for his troubles.

*****

Bridge:

"Evasive manoeuvres Mr. Paris." Shouted Janeway over the noise of weapons fire.

"I believe I can disable the lead ship by targeting their aft shields." Said Tuvok.

"Do it." Confirmed Janeway.

There was a few rounds of phaser fire and some evasive manoeuvring. An explosion was ripped from the main ship and it started to drift.

"They are disabled." Tuvok confirmed.

"Structural integrity is collapsing on deck 2 section 3. And a fire has broken out on deck 8 section 5." Chakotay reported.

"The Wildman's quarters! Send rescue teams to both sites." Janeway ordered then turned to the Opps station. "Harry try hailing them again."

"They're responding."

"Now that they've been shown who the big dog is." She said mostly to herself then out loud Janeway ordered, "Open a channel."

The tell tale beep confirmed that a channel was now open, "This is Captain Janeway of the Star ship Voyager, identify yourselves. Why are you attacking my ship?"

"Enemy." Was the response.

"We are not your enemy, I can assure you."

"Warned, bad enemy, Voyager."

"We really need a better publicist." Mumbled Paris.

Everyone ignored him, and Janeway pushed for further information, "Warned? By who?"

"Dark ship. Man, tentacles."

"Naraku." They all new at once.


*****


"Inu-yasha." Kagome squeaked out as she felt his weight pin her to the floor.

"I..Inu-yasha." She tried again with no luck.

She felt a sort of pulse from above, she looked up as another stronger one followed. Inu-yasha's hair billowed around him in a chaotic manner. 'He's changing back I can feel his youkai returning.' She thought excitedly.

"This is fucking heavy. Kagome... Are you okay?"

Kagome just stared at him lopsided. 'Am I okay? He was just knocked out, but he seems fine now.' He began to move then.



As the rescue team; comprised of Ayala and Parveti, rounded the corner they saw that a very big chunk of the bulk head had fallen.

Their tricorders then detected a massive energy force just before the collapsed ceiling started to move. And out of the rubble came the half demon boy carrying the human girl who barely had a scratch on either of them. The rescuers approached to lend a hand but where totally ignored by both rescuees.


Kagome threw her arms around Inu-yasha after he set her down.

"Kagome, are you all right?"

"Of course I am Baka. I'm not the one that just got pummelled in the head in Human form. But you're back! How are you back?"

"How should I know? Hey you're hurt!" He crouched down to a bruise starting to take shape on her left ankle.

"I'm fine I can still walk." She took a demonstrating step. "See, it's all good."

A look of relief washed over his face but he went suddenly still, listening intently and taking a sniff at the air. 'Fire? and was that a screaming child? 'What's a child doing here? I must be wrong.'

"Inu-yasha?"

"I smell smoke, and someone's in trouble."

"Well let's go!" Kagome urged.

Inu-yasha rolled his eyes but never- the- less gathered her onto his back and raced off down the corridor.

Ayala and Parveti were left to clean up the mess.


Kagome and Inu-yasha reached the Turbo-lift and pressed the call button, nothing happened, well aside from the computers version of a razz- berry, they tried again and another rude computer noise came out. (You know like, the I can't let you do that noise that comes from your PC that's made all the more annoying because you just have to have it function at that moment.)

"It must not be working." Kagome said helpfully.

"Keh." Inu-yasha took one clawed hand and sliced right through the doors. They were met with a long drop, but there was a utility ladder so they started to climb down.


*****

Inu-yasha came to a stop on the doors marked deck 8 and did the same to these as he did to the previous set.

They came to a stop outside a burning door, smoke was starting to spill into the corridor and they moved away. Now Kagome heard the screams. "A child?" Kagome said concerned as she voiced Inu-yasha's earlier thought.

He set her down well out of the fire's reach and draped his Haori over her.

"But..."

"Shut up and stay here." He started to take off down the corridor.

"Wait! Maybe there's a fire extinguisher around here somewhere."

"I don't see any water."

She didn't see anything to use on the fire either. They heard more screaming. "All right, but be careful." One last look from him and he was off.

He leapt through the man sized whole created by the wall of fire. When he entered he could see, not much of anything really, just thick black smoke rolling up the walls and over the ceiling. He covered his mouth and nose.

"Oi, anybody here!" He called out briefly, but regretted it as his lungs filled with the toxic smoke. He bent lower to the ground but the air wasn't much better there.

He heard a muffled thumping of the carpeted floor, whoever was there had run out of good air to scream with. He followed the sound and found it was a child, a little girl with spikes on her forehead crouched by a fallen beam trying to reach something. She looked to be about 8 or 9 years old. When he came into her view she had a momentary look of surprise on her face before grabbing his hand and dragging him to her and trying to make him reach something on the other side of the beam.

'Oi, I don't have time to get her toys.' He thought as he gathered her up and sprinted for the door. They were by Kagome's side in a flash.

He set her down, but she tried to drag him back towards the fire. He stayed rooted to the spot and she turned pleading eyes on Kagome before erupting into a coughing fit in order to clear her lungs to speak.

By this time the second rescue team of Lishiel, and Gurshwin (AN #3) arrived at the scene and started to extinguish the fire.

"Naomi!?" They questioned the girl.

She took a few ragged breaths and quickly, but croakingly said, "My mother's still in there."

"Where?" Inu-yasha questioned.

"Behind the beam."

"Shit." And he was off again like a torpedo.


Lishiel started scanning Naomi for injuries, and treated her for smoke inhalation.

They all worriedly watched the burning Cabin for signs of life.

A few moments later and Inu-yasha re-emerged with a very chard looking woman, who he set down on the floor by their feet.

"Mom!" Naomi collapsed next to the prone woman.

Lishiel, and Gurshwin took out there emergency kit again and started to heal her. The treatment wasn't taking effect, she was too badly burned and had inhaled too many toxins.

"I'm sorry I can't do anymore." Gurshwin reluctantly told the grieving child.

"No, Mom! We have to get her to the Doctor." She was on the verge of tears. (AN #4)

They then turned to Inu-yasha, "Transporters and Turbo-lifts are out. Do you think you can help carry her to Sick Bay?"


Inu-yasha set questioning eyes on Kagome, apparently he had other ideas. "I'll try." Kagome's hands started to glow with her Miko energy.

Kagome turned to the little girl, "Naomi, right?" She nodded. "I can help your mother if you'll let me." Another quick nod and she turned back to the burned woman.

'Please let this work, it's worked on other injuries before. It just has to work.' Kagome prayed then hovered her glowing hands above the woman's chest and face, pouring her Miko energy into her to heal her. There were a few tense moments where nothing happened, but then all of a sudden her chard and crackled skin started to smooth and her chest heaved before she erupted into a coughing fit.

The men scanned her. "She's healed! That was amazing how'd you do that?"

Kagome was too exhausted to answer. Seeing her sway, Inu-yasha sat next to her and leaned her against his shoulder.

"She'll be all right, the Doctor can repair the rest." Confirmed Gurshwin.

After a moments rest Inu-yasha said, "We should all get to sick bay." He carried Kagome and the girl on his back, back up the Turbo-lift shaft. And the other men followed with the Mother.


*****

I'm going to stop it there because I've already taken too long to right this and the next part is a little more complicated I guess is the right word and it's not all worked out yet. This chapter just took longer than I had expected, it's been half done forever, but it's done now, I hope, I always seem to find other things to add latter or that I missed and just don't put in. Was that ever a run on sentence? Anyway, till next time.


AN

1) That was mostly intentional.
2) This is from the episode "Nightingale."
3) As you can probably tell I'm bad with names. Ayala is the only one I'm pretty sure is part of the crew.
4) Tires, instead of tears, that's how I typed it at first. Imagine being on the verge of tires. Not sure what that would mean, but I think you'd have some serious problems.