InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where No Hanyou Has Gone Before ❯ Going Along for the Ride ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Ch. 10:

Disclaimer: I do not own Inu-yasha or Star Trek Voyager. And I am not getting for any money for this story.

"Speaking"
'Thoughts'
(#Authors note, see bottom of the page, whenever you feel like it, so as not to interrupt the story.)

Summary: Inu-Yasha gets a taste of his own medicine.

Ch. 10: Going Along for the Ride


Captains Log, supplemental,

We have come to a crossroads in our search for Naraku, who has proven a serious threat to this sector. It seems we've been just one step behind him for so long now, but we finally have two leads. Scans of the sector show that the Jewel of Four Souls is on a primitive planet, however strong energy signatures indicate that Naraku could lie in either direction.

I have decided to send a shuttle toward the planet while the rest of us check out the other direction. Since Kagome is the only one who can purify the Jewel, I have sent her in the shuttle and Inu-Yasha has insisted on going with her.
Trying to explain the Prime Directive to Inu-Yasha was one of my more difficult challenges, But I believe he gets the idea. I had hoped that with time he would settle down and adjust to life on a starship and for a short while I even thought he had, but he is getting restless once more.
I hope that this mission yields some positive results for our time travelling friends, we could all use some good news. One wonders how Kagome and Inu-Yasha have been able to endure the hardship for this long. I know from their stories that Naraku was just as brutal in the past. They are two of the strongest, most determined young people I have known, and they engender a lot of loyalty for they have friends in both times that are more than willing to help them.
I can only hope we find Naraku soon, for all our sakes.


Shuttle Bay:

"Allow me to introduce you to my baby, The Delta flyer." Paris said with a lot of showmanship, as he waved to a small (one might say yacht sized), sleek, almost sporty space craft.

"Baby?" Inu-Yasha said with some confusion.

"Figure of speech of course." Paris said. ÒThis is the Delta Flyer 2, fastest ship in the Delta quadrant, next to Voyager of course.Ó

ÒWhy 2?Ó Kagome was almost afraid to ask.

ÒThe first one was blown up by the Borg.Ó Paris informed them with a sad note in his voice. ÒBUt we shouldnÕt be running into them.Ó

ÒNo just Naraku probably.Ó Inu-Yasha mumbled.

Just then Tuvok came through the doors followed by his right hand man, Ayala.

Tuvok handed them each a pile of orange cloth and Instructed them to Ôput it on.Õ

*****

Later Inside the Shuttle:

"Why do we have to wear these itchy clothes again?" Inu-Yasha squirmed in his seat tugging at the collar of his new clothes, though the word clothes is a stretch, they were little more than a piece of orange cloth tied in a rather complicated fashion.

"Because of the Prime Directive the Captain told us about, the people on the planet aren't used to aliens, or demons so we canÕt interfere." Kagome said. "And stop taking off your hat."

"Why we're not there yet."

Kagome knew he was nervous about the mission and about flying in a shuttle for the first time, she was too, so she was trying to be patient with him.
Flying in a shuttle wasn't like flying on the ship, (She almost wouldn't have known they were on a ship, in space, if no one had told her, what with the artificial gravity and all.) But this was more like flying in an air plane (Which she had done, all of one time.) You could feel every small movement and there was nothing but vast space outside.

She sat nervously in her seat

Up in the front of the small craft Paris was having a great time piloting his baby, nothing like a little joyride to take your mind off of a potentially dangerous mission. or the potential danger to his wife and friends back aboard the ship.

"We're coming up on the planet." Tuvok said.

"Wow check out the view. No satellites in orbit, no industrial pollution, if it wasnÕt for the Purple and orange colouring I bet this is how Earth looked right around, well your time Inu-yasha." Paris said.

"Keh." This didn't seem to move Inu-Yasha, you've seen one planet you've seen them all I guess, but Kagome stood up to get a better view.

"Wow." Kagome remarked and Paris snuck a quick look at the au struck teenager and the sour puss (or dog, then again maybe that's just how he looks all the time) and whispered to his fellow officers, "hang on," and he banked hard to the left sending Kagome into the lap of a shocked and slightly confused Inu-Yasha.

"Um, sorry lost my balance." Kagome mumbled embarrassed, but neither of them moved for a few heart beats.

ÔNothing like a little matchmaking to relieve the tension too.' Paris thought. He was glad that Inu-Yasha either didn't notice or care that he had done this on purpose, but Tuvok had, obviously.

"Mr. Paris if you would please refrain from your practical jokes and stay on course."

"Of course Commander, won't happen again." Paris said with a smirk toward Ayala.

"I have located the Jewel and another very strong energy, though it is not Naraku, closer scans indicate that he is not on this planet. It is on a small island, unfortunately I am detecting several small villages in the area, Lt. follow these co-ordinates and we will land in a discrete spot." Tuvok instructed.

"Aye sir, starting descent trajectory now." Paris said and Kagome's stomach started rising with their descent.

*****

They stepped on to the rich orange dirt of the planet with plants of various shades of purple and yellow sprouting out of it. It seemed like Halloween to Kagome but she stopped herself from commenting, they were here for the Jewel after all.

The Voyagers pulled out their tricorders and started scanning the area. Kagome did the same with her Miko senses, while Inu-Yasha used his eyes, ears, and nose to familiarise himself with the new setting.

Inu-YashaÕs senses didnÕt seem to be working as well as they should and he hoped it was just the strange new planet, so he kept quiet and let Kagome and the Voyagers do the detecting, for now.

It didn't take long, "Over there." Kagome pointed off towards a foresty region. "I sense the Jewel."

The officers adjusted there scanning position "And it's moving away." Paris confirmed.

"There is also a village in that direction. Lt. Ayala, stay with the shuttle, the rest of you follow my lead."
"I hate to break it to you Tuvok, but Inu-Yasha took off with Kagome already." Paris pointed out.

They caught up with them sooner than they expected 'Strange, this planet's gravity is identical to Voyagers, there is no reason for it to be slowing Inu-Yasha down.' Thought Tuvok.

They soon arrived on the outskirts of the village.

ÔIf it wasn't for Tuvok and Paris I would think we were back in feudal Japan,' Kagome thought. And had a strange image in her head of an amalgamated Tuvok with Miroku, and Paris with Sango, she shook her head.

Sure the colours and aromas were different, but the movements she knew all too well The numb aftermath of a battle and the beginnings of people trying to put their lives back together.

"Did the Jewel do this?" Paris asked.

"Someone or something that has the Jewel no doubt." Tuvok stated.

"Then what are we waiting for?" Inu-Yasha started walking towards the village again.

"Don't you want to know what we're up against?" Kagome asked.

"I meant let's go find out." Inu-Yasha said.

"We cannot simply ask the villagers." Tuvok said.

"I know your Prime thingy But we've already interfered itÕs our fault the Jewel is here."
'Inu-Yasha has a better understanding of the Prime Directive than we thought.' Paris thought.

"By listening and observing one can learn very much.Ó Tuvok said.

"Or waste a whole lot of time." Inu-Yasha countered.

"Shouldn't we try to help these people?" Kagome said

"Keh, the sooner we find the Jewel the better off these people are." Inu-Yasha said.

ÔInu-Yasha's not acting like his usual self.Õ Kagome thought to herself then halted at a sudden realization. ÔIt couldn't be that could it? It has been over a month now.Õ

"We will pass through the village quickly, keep your eyes and ears open. Should they ask for our assistance we will give it, but otherwise avoid contact.Ó Tuvok made the decision.

No sooner had they stepped inside the village, however than they were surrounded by men and women brandishing various weapons.

"Halt strangers." The head villager said

"So much for avoiding contact." Paris stated the obvious.

*****

"Wait, let us explain." Paris tried to reason with the villagers.

"Devils... what trickery, make it stop." The villagers held their heads in confusion

"They can't understand why they can hear two different languages at the same time." Kagome noticed they were having trouble understanding the universal translator, the same trouble her and Inu-Yasha had at first, it is very confusing after all.
Inu-Yasha was just itching for a fight.

"Inu-Yasha, we are not here to fight." Tuvok warned him before he could start anything.

"Then what are you here for?" One of the more sensible villagers asked.

"We have come to stop whoever or whatever has done this." Tuvok said.

"You cannot stop Hem." The Villagers shouted worriedly.

"Why would Hem do this?" Tuvok played along with them. Silence from the villagers.

"Well?" Inu-Yasha was impatient now.

"You are strangers, perhaps it is you who did this to him." One of the villagers said.
'He's not entirely wrong thought Kagome worriedly.

"This Hem must be some sort of mystical creature, and he believes that we are devils, we must convince them otherwise." Tuvok whispered.

"Oh and how do you plan on doing that?" Paris countered.

"We have come to defeat Hem." Tuvok announced.

"Devils!!" the villagers shouted once more. "Tie them up."

They advanced on them and Inu-yasha naturally started to fight back.

"No Inu-Yasha we can't hurt them." Kagome shouted.

"I know." Inu-Yasha shouted back.

After a minor scuffle the villagers succeeded in tying up our group from Voyager.

"Why didn't you stun them or something?" Kagome asked Tuvok.

"Risking detection of our technology would be an illogical and unnecessary move." Tuvok said. "It is still possible that we can talk our way out of this situation."

"Oh yeah how do you figure that?" Paris asked a little annoyed.

They were rudely shoved further into the village and they couldnÕt do much in retaliation since they were tied up at the moment.
Unfortunately Tuvok's hat was knocked loose and the villagers noticed his pointy ears. "What are those?" 'Great now they will think we really are devils.' Kagome thought.

They removed Inu-Yasha's hat next but thankfully only found Human ears. His normal ears would be hard to explain but it only confirmed Kagome's worries.

"You are not devils," apparently they did not associate pointy ears with devils here. "But clearly you are not from here."

"No we are from a far away...village, but we are here to help, Hem is being controlled, not by us but by a Jewel that has fallen into the wrong hands and we are here to get it back." Tuvok tried to reason with them.

"You can take this Jewel without harming Hem?Ó The villagers asked.

"That's to be decided by Hem." Inu-Yasha growled, though Human-like.

"No we will not harm Hem." Tuvok tried to reassure them.

"We will need to discuss this privately, Shomesee, watch them." A small army took up guard posts while their village leaders went into a hut for their discussion.

"I wish we could hear what they are saying." Kagome whispered worriedly.

"Yeah nothing like your fate being determined by superstitious villagers." Paris joked just as worried.

"Well, Tuvok what are they saying?" Asked Inu-Yasha.

ÒThey are out of my range, contrary to your beliefs I am not a demon and do not possess even your hearing abilities." Tuvok stated

"Whatever, we need to find Hem and get the Jewel." Inu-Yasha began struggling with the ropes at his hands.

"Even if we could get free and or convince the villagers to let us go you are in no condition to fight." Tuvok pointed out.

"He's right Inu-Yasha lets just wait until morning, we don't even know how strong this Hem is." Kagome pleaded.

Inu-Yasha was silent he didn't want to point out that, like last time, his demon powers may not return by morning.

"We may not get to wait that long." Paris nodded in the direction of the hut that the head villagers were now emerging from.

Inu-Yasha stood in front of the head man, arms still tied behind his back, in a defiant pose. The villager ignored him.

"We have come to a ruling... " Before he could continue the air turned.

Kagome could sense the Jewel shard getting closer and an aura so massive that even Inu-Yasha, Tuvok, Paris and the villagers turned towards it.

She was surprised to see a very tall lanky; demon wasn't quite the word, it was something else, something powerful. He carried a long jagged looking sword.

The villagers fled from his path but did not attack.

'They really don't want to harm him.' Kagome thought, but she needed to know more. "Why is Hem attacking your village?" She asked a nearby villager, who sighed.

"If you must know Hem started attacking us about two weeks ago after an abnormal light flashed in the sky. He is usually peaceful unless it is your time." Said the villager.

"How do you know it isnÕt?" Inu-Yasha asked.

"Because it isnÕt, besides this is just random violence, he usually takes lives in one clean sweep and we respect him for it, can't you tell he isn't himself?" The villager asked still annoyed, and confused as to why he was telling a story everyone should know.

"Of course we can..." before Inu-Yasha could say Ò...nÕtÓ Tuvok cut him off. "That is why we are here.Ó

"If this was his normal behavior we would already be dead, but he is playing. Like I've said not normal, he is clearly under the influence of this Jewel you speak of.Ó

ÒSo you believe us now, that we can help?Ó Paris asked hopefully.

ÒYou could still be manipulating Hem.Ó The villager said and Paris just sighed in frustration.

**

"This is horrible " Kagome looked at the destruction that was being caused. "We have to do something."

Hem turned his attention to our little group, he raised his sickle type sword and swung. (AN1)

A blast came hurtling towards Kagome and she tried to stand or scurry back out of the way but neither worked and it was getting closer. She closed her eyes tightly awaiting the pain but when she heard Inu-Yasha scream her name she opened her eyes just in time to see him take most of the blast. "Nooo.Ó Inu-Yasha coughed up some blood as he kield over. ÒInu-Yasha!" Kagome screamed helplessly as Tuvok and Paris stared in concerned shock at the still Human dog demon.

"Why would Hem attack them if they are controlling him?" Some villagers were murmuring nearby.

"That's right so untie us so we can help or at least try to defend ourselves." Paris gestured wildly which wasn't much considering he was still tied up.

The villagers untied them and Paris went to check on Inu-Yasha who was alive but unconscious and loosing a lot of blood. "We need to get him back to the ship quickly ." He told Tuvok.

"Kagome see what your powers can do to help him,Ó Tuvok said unnecessarily, since she was already trying to stop the blood flow. ÒWe must resolve this situation quickly, ready Mr. Paris." Tuvok and Paris removed their hidden phasers, seeing no other alternative, and attempted to stun the Godlike creature. I say attempted because well it didn't do anything, so they tried again and still nothing.

"Um by Ôyou cannot stop Hem,Õ you really meant that didn't you?" Paris said .

Meanwhile thanks in part to Kagome's healing and Inu-Yasha's strong will he started to stir. "Inu-Yasha stay down you're hurt." Kagome said.

"I'm fine it's that Hem you have to worry about." Inu-Yasha brandishes his un-transformed sword.

Inu-Yasha attacks Hem out right but just seems to piss him off.
They trade blows for a while. Inu-Yasha is having trouble breathing now and Hem seems board with him Hem turns back to Paris a Tuvok and is about to blast them when Inu-Yasha knocks them out of the way.

ÒThanks.Ó Paris breaths heavily.

ÒYer kid needs a father right?Ó Inu-Yasha says in place of a simple your welcome.

Again Hem ignores him and Heads towards the villagers once more. Seeing Hem ready to strike out at the villagers again Inu-Yasha runs to interfere and gets knocked back several feet for his troubles but his goal is accomplished and HemÕs focus is on him once more.

Hem hovers over him but Inu-Yasha just smirks confidently since from his new vantage point he can see light starting to rise over the horizon. He transforms back into his regular self and now wields the fully transformed Tetsusaiga. He uses the wind scar almost immediately after transforming and it's a clean hit.

"No!" the villagers scream as Inu-Yasha falls to his knees in exhaustion.
"Yer welcome." Inu-Yasha says supporting himself with the Tetsusaiga.

"Inu-Yasha!" Kagome starts to run towards him.

Before she can go two feet the dust around Hem starts to clear and she feels his aura. The wind scar did nothing.

A dark look passes across Inu-Yasha's face but he resolves to stand once more and keep fighting.

Sure that even Hem can't withstand the fully transformed Tesusaiga for long Inu-Yasha has no choice but a full frontal assault. He comes at Hem swinging but it isn't enough Hem is faster and stronger.

The Tesusaiga spins through the air and lands about twenty feet away from Inu-Yasha still held tightly in his grasp.

"Inu-Yasha!" Kagome, Tuvok, and Paris all shout in shocked horror.

Inu-Yasha falls to the ground clutching the open wound were his arm was a moment before. He letÕs out a blades of blood attack that does nothing before falling to the ground completely. Kagome can feel the demon aura pulsing through his body.

"What's happening?" Paris asks .

ÒThis is why you convinced us to let him keep his sword, isnÕt it.Ó Tuvok noticed.

ÒWe have to get him his sword." Kagome attempts to make a grab for it but is blocked by Hem.

Tuvok is the closest and he makes a run for it.

Tuvok gets the Tesusaiga to the still unconscious Inu-Yasha in time. But Hem is still on a rampage.

Kagome now realizes she must purify Hem.

Kagome grabs her bow and arrow set and runs around the block to were Hem is now attacking and doesn't stop even as Paris tries to shout at her.

She comes to a screeching halt not 20 feet away from Hem and raises her bow and arrow.

She is angry, but hesitant, what if she shatters the jewel again? What if she destroys Hem by purifying him? She almost doesn't care, he hurt Inu-Yasha and must pay. This thought gives her the strength to focus and she lets the arrow fly. It hits just left of the Jewel and Hem stops in his tracks. Tuvok comes around the corner and sees Hem's pleading look as the Jewel is starting to turn black once more.

"You must retrieve the Jewel." Tuvok says to Kagome, but again she is already on it.

ÒThank you, now I can return to my normal duties. I have an appointment with a child dying from Snards disease.Ó Said Hem as he left the village. Kagome was thankful she hadnÕt purified him even after all he did and was going to do, he was just being controlled by the Jewel and like it or not death was a part of life.

The villagers realized that Hem was back to normal and gave a cheer.

Kagome didn't waste any time in getting back to Inu-Yasha.

Paris was tending to his wounds as best he could but they needed to get back to the shuttle and back to Voyager.

The villagers though grateful did not seem sorry to see them go nor did they bother with any farewells.

They quickly carried Inu-yasha to just outside the village before calling for transport.

There wasnÕt much Kagome could do for Inu-Yasha beyond conventional medicine, without the risk of purifying him in his half demon state.

They met up with the ship, and Kagome and Inu-Yasha were transported immediately to Sick Bay.


*****

Sick Bay:

"Doctor!" Kagome called out and he emerged from his office.

ÒWe need 3 litters of blood, immediately.Ó The Doctor said as he pressed a hypo spray to Inu-YashaÕs neck.

Kagome replicated Inu-Yasha's blood and and began to tell the Doctor what happened.
"He's lost a lot of blood, first in Human form and then in Demon form, he's never lost an arm before. He's broken his arm before and been run through sure. Damn it Inu-Yasha why do you have to be so reckless." Kagome was babbling hysterically now, it's not every day he gets his arm torn off by a semi Godlike alien.

Tom then showed up to lend a hand or arm rather.

"Ah, excellent timing Mr. Paris just when we were starting to worry that Inu-Yasha would have to be a lefty from now on. Mr. Paris prepare for surgery." The Doctor instructed him.

"Wait, you mean you can... reattach his arm?" Kagome asked in wonder. "Will that work?"

"Of course, you've kept it "fresh," he is in the hands of a great physician, and given Inu-YashaÕs remarkable healing abilities it should be good as new in a few days time." The Doctor said confidently.

"Oh thank Kami." Kagome breathed a sigh of relief, she was not looking forward to loosing patience with a crippled Inu-Yasha.

***

A little later Inu-Yasha was awake and testing out his newly reattached limb.

"Now I know what it feels like." He remarked.

"Guess you won't be doing it to others anymore then?" Kagome said.

"Hell no, of course I will, it's very effective, for me anyway." Inu-Yasha let out a confident laugh.

Kagome sighed. "You know just because the Doctor can heel you faster than you or I could in the past doesn't mean you should be taking more risks."

"Keh."
ÒInu-Yasha.Ó Kagome said menacingly.

ÒFine.Ó
The Captain came in just then to check on them.

ÒHow is my favourite dog demon doing?Ó She asked.

ÒDid you find Naraku?Ó Inu-Yasha sat up and spun towards her.

ÒYou donÕt waste any time. Unfortunately no, we got your hail before we could reach the source of the signal we received. But he may still be in the area.Ó

ÒDonÕt hold your breath.Ó Inu-Yasha muttered, was he sorry they had come to rescue him?

"What I wonder is why Naraku would leave the Jewel unattended?" Janeway wondered.

"Who cares we've got the jewel back don't we." Inu-Yasha said.

"Yes but don't you think it's strange, he has tried to defile the Jewel with evil energy in the past and may be doing it again. What if he's laying a trap?" Kagome pointed out.

"Of course he is. At least we know and we'll be ready for him." Inu-Yasha said with a confidence that even he wasn't sure he felt.

"With all of us working together we should be able to come up with a plan once we find him again." The Captain reassured them.


ÒI guess youÕre right and at least we have the Jewel now.Ó Kagome said.

ÒSpeaking of the Jewel, we should probably keep it in a storage unit here in Sickbay, for later examination.Ó Janeway said.

ÒWhy?Ó Inu-Yasha asked warily.

ÒCall it a bit of scientific curiosity. Also the more we know about the Jewel the better we can keep it safe.Ó Janeway said.

ÒMe and Kagome can keep it safe.Ó Inu-Yasha said slightly suspicious.

ÒInu-Yasha, I donÕt see the harm in letting them look, but tomorrow okay, I want to make sure Inu-Yasha doesnÕt do anything to injure his arm again.Ó Kagome said diplomatically.

ÒOf course.Ó Janeway said. ÒYou need your rest, I'll put my people on working out a plan that doesn't involve you or anyone loosing any more blood and we'll discus this in the morning. Good night Inu-Yasha, Kagome,... Doctor." Janeway nodded towards each and then headed out the door.

Inu-Yasha and Kagome were left to wonder what would happen next, but for now were content in each others company and got some much needed rest.


Authors Notes:
Believe it or not this was even longer especially the Captains log at the beginning.

1) I say Òsickle typeÓ even if it doesnÕt look like one that is the basic idea, he is essentially death.