InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Where No Hanyou Has Gone Before ❯ Closing In, Part 1 ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
ch. 11 "Closing in, Part 1"

disclaimer: I don't own "Inu-Yasha" or "Star Trek Voyager."

"Speaking"
'Thoughts' and sometimes *Thoughts*

Hey sorry it took awhile this chapter just did not want to write itself no matter how hard I tried. Ooh and this story has been nominated for an award so I'm excited.

Ch. 11

Inu-Yasha and Kagome are sleeping peacefully, until...

*beep* *beep* beep*

Inu-Yasha sat bolt upright in bed and reached for his sword. This movement caused Kagome, who had been sleeping close to him, to tumble onto the floor.

"What, the..." Inu-yasha began, but then heard a muffled,

"Oww." from beneath a pile of bed sheets on the floor.

"Kagome. Are you all right?"

"It was just the alarm Inu-Yasha, no need to over react... again." He still hadn't learned after all these weeks. She should just turn it off except that she had a job of sorts and there was no morning sun to wake them. She sat up only to come face to face with a concerned Inu-Yasha. "I'm fine, I'm fine. How's your arm?"

"You should know by now, it's all better." He backed off.

"Still maybe the Doctor should look at it, just to be sure. You can come with me to my shift. But we better get moving, we have to be at the morning briefing in," She glanced at the clock "ak, 45 minutes." She hopped up off the floor now. "And after that the Captain wanted to see us privately, and then we can go to SickBay, Oh and don't forget you have that thing with Tuvok,"

"Haven't forgotten." He mumbled rather sullenly.

Kagome ignored him, and continued to scramble around the room gathering up her bath supplies and day clothes. "and I want to check in with Seven in Astrometrics, and finally Neelix is having a celebration dinner, in honor of us finding the Jewel."

"They use any excuse to throw a party." Inu-Yasha mumbled. "Do we have to do all of that today? Definitely not gonna go to that party. Maybe we could skip the Tuvok session, and the Doctor visit." He said hopefully.

"What? We've already promised, besides Tuvok said he could help you learn to control your Demon side. You want to control it, don't you?"

"Of course but, well does it have to be Tuvok?"

"Yes! I don't care if you don't like him I believe he can help."

"All right, but we can't be in two places at once we have to drop something."

"No we don't, you can go with Tuvok while I'm in SickBay, We don't have to spend all of our time together." Kagome disappeared into the bathroom.

"..."


Even as she said it she regretted it, she wanted to spend time with Inu-Yasha, but every minute of every day was just too much. But who knew what would happen once their "mission" was over.

*****

Turbo Lift:

"I can't believe them." Inu-Yasha said as soon as the doors closed.

"Who?" (Of course she new perfectly well who, she liked to think she knew Inu-Yasha pretty well by now.)

"They want the Jewel for themselves."

"Oh..." She pronounced in annoyed fake surprise. "They're just curious, they are scientists after all. Besides they barely mentioned it."

"It's more than that, we've both seen that look before, on Humans and Demons. They think they can use it to get home."

"Inu-Yasha."

"They can't have it, I won't let them contaminate it!"

"Neither will I, but it won't come to that." 'I hope.'

**

***
The doors opened on Deck 5 and they walked into Sick-Bay where they found Lt. Paris keeping an eye on things.

"Hey." Paris greeted them.

"You can't have the Jewel." Inu-Yasha said irrationally.

"Okay?"

"Where's the Doctor?" Kagome changed the subject, as she lead Inu-Yasha to a Bio bed.

"Making a house call. But he left me in charge until he returns and he wants you to run some experiments." Paris told her.

"Okay, be nice Inu-Yasha." Kagome said and walked into the adjoining room to start on said experiments.

"So how's the arm, still attached I see." Paris waved a scanner over Inu-Yasha's arm. "Wow it's completely healed!"

"Of course it is, I am half Demon after all." Inu-Yasha puffed up his chest in pride.

"Well Inu-Yasha I pronounce you the healthiest half Demon I've ever seen. You're free to go."

"I'm staying." Tom new that stubborn look.

"Inu-Yasha, Tuvok is waiting for you." Kagome came back into the room and half pleaded for him to go, he had been even more clingy and paranoid since they got the Jewel back yesterday.

"Feh, I don't need lessons on controlling myself from that tree stump." (He may have once wanted to become like Tuvok, able to forget his emotions, his pain, but now, well there had to be another way.)

"He can help you, maybe finally you can learn to not transform anymore."

"Maybe. But I'm not leaving you alone with him." He gestured to Tom.

Tom and Kagome both blinked in surprise at him. "And why is that?"

"I've heard the stories."

"Oh really?" Paris crossed his arms defensively.

"You're a womanizing pig who spends half his time in jail."

"I could say almost the same about you." Kagome mumbled under her breath.

"No, I was a womanizing pig who spent half his time in jail, now I'm a married man, a happily married man, with a daughter on the way. Besides Kagome is way too young for me." (he didn't mention his little crush on a two year old, though to be fair in Kes' species a two year old was the equivalent of a Human at least 20 years old, and that was years ago.)


"Now that I think about it maybe I should be the one who's jealous." Tom turned the tables on him.

Now Inu-Yasha and Kagome gave him the quizzical looks.

"You have been spending a lot of time in Engineering and around B'Elanna."

"Oh?" Kagome asked, this was a new one on her, she knew he had to be spending his time away from her somewhere, though she did suspect he felt more than a little protective of her, perhaps he was having some mother issues.

"It's just the highest point on the ship okay." Inu-Yasha said a little defensively.

"Relax, I'm kidding." Paris said.

Inu-Yasha went there to think, he had to find a way to keep Kagome safe before Naraku came for her. Maybe Tuvok's way would help.

"Keh, I don't need this crap. Keep her safe while I'm gone." And then he was.

"Um sure." Was all Tom could think to say. 'Inu-Yasha's more moody than a pregnant Klingon, and I should know.'

Kagome just rolled her eyes and returned to work.

*****

Inu-Yasha met Tuvok outside the Holo-Deck.

The program Tuvok called up was the Feudal Era, sans characters.

"What the hell is this?"

"We are going to work on some meditation techniques."

"Meditation?"


"Yes, you are too emotionally involved.
I too was young and angry once, but I learned control, and so shall you."

Inu-Yasha found this hard to believe, Tuvok angry? Feh. "I'm not turning into you."

"That is not my intention. Your emotions are what drive you to fight, to protect. While they are most certainly an asset in your particular situation, they are also too chaotic. You must learn to control them without them controlling you. Lets us begin." He knelt on the green grass billowing in the breeze and motioned for Inu-Yasha to do the same.

Inu-Yasha grumbled but gave in after all.


*****

SickBay:

Kagome was working on her experiments when the door opened to permit the littlest member of the crew.

"Naomi."
"Miss Wildman." Kagome and the Doc greeted her simultaneously.

"Do you mind if Kagome gives you your check up today?" The Doctor asked, wanting to give Kagome some practice and knowing how found they were of each other.

"No sir." Naomi said with a grin.

Kagome passed the scanner over her a few times and checked the medical tricorder, taking a moment to remember if these were normal readings for a half Human, half Katarian little girl. Eventually she announced her to be in excellent health.
*I only wish it was this easy to go to the Doctors in my time, funny how I've heard the crew complain anyway though.*

"Where's Inu-Yasha?" Naomi asked as she hopped down off the bio bed.

"Training with Tuvok I'm afraid." Kagome noticed Naomi's disappointed look and then said. "I'm off work in a few minutes, do you want to come with me to Astrometrics?"

Naomi perked up at this since Seven would be there and she was her favorite person, aside from Inu-Yasha, Neelix, and her mother that is.

"Good, wait here." Kagome smiled at the girl and went back to finishing her work for the day.

***

Holo -Deck:

"I'm bored." Inu-Yasha whined.
"We have barely scratched the surface." Tuvok said with what appeared to be a touch of annoyance (I guess Neelix isn't the only one who can bring that out of him anymore.)
"There will be no scratching."
"You must have patience, Inu-Yasha."
"Naraku may be waiting for us, I don't have time for your breathing lessons."
"There is possibly a quicker way. A mind meld between the two of us..."
"Mind meld?"
"I would enter you mind and attempt to suppress your Demon half, I would not pry any further than that."
"As long as it's quick."
"Prepare yourself."
Inu-Yasha closed his eyes not sure what to expect, however Tuvok's clammy hands on his face was no where on his list of possibilities.
Tuvok had barely begun chanting "Your mind to my mind...." when Inu-Yasha skidded back a few hundred steps, ending the encounter.

"What the hell are you doing?" Inu-Yasha panted.

Tuvok let out a sigh. "Very well we will pursue this at a later time."
"Later time my ass." Was Inu-Yasha's response.

"We now can begin the next step in your training."

They stood up and Tuvok ordered the computer to give him a katana.

"You are strong but you lack discipline and fines, only through a proper balance of mind and spirit will you gain true strength. " Tuvok takes a fighting stance. "Let us begin."

"Now you're talking." Inu-Yasha lunges at him, Tetsusaiga held high.

Tuvok gracefully dodged nearly every one of Inu-Yasha's attacks, and his sword movements were even and flowing. 'So much like Seshomaru, yet so different, since he hasn't tried to kill me...yet.' Inu-Yasha thought.

"Why don't you fight me you're not even trying?" Inu-Yasha complained after Tuvok merely avoided a few more of his blows.

"You, Inu-Yasha are the one who is not trying. Swordsmanship is not all about brute strength."
"I have some skill." Inu-Yasha protested, since he hadn't come all this way on brute strength alone, it was just a hell of a lot easier.

"Then show me." Tuvok took a fighting stance once more and Inu-Yasha actually landed a good percentage of blows this time.

"That Jewel is pretty powerful is it not?" Tuvok began and Inu-Yasha's blow landed lower than he would have liked.
"Are you sure it is in the right person's hands?" Tuvok pushed him back several feet. "Kagome makes for an easy target." Inu-Yasha's swings went wild and uncontrolled once more.

They stopped.

"As I have said you are easily provoked." Inu-Yasha glared at him annoyed. "You wish to protect Kagome."

"How do you know that?"

"It was a secret?" Tuvok said sarcastically, then continued. "There is nothing wrong with wanting to protect the ones closest to you. However, you cannot let it distract you, have faith in Kagome's abilities as well."

"Feh, enough talk." Inu-Yasha was ready to get back to business.


*****
Astrometrics:

"Kagome Higurashi, Naomi Wildman." Seven greeted them with some surprise.
"Inu-Yasha is not with you today." Seven for some reason felt it necessary to state the obvious, one of many Human traits that were reasserting themselves within her.

"We're not joined at the hip!" Kagome overreacted.

Seven raised her technology clad eyebrow at her. "It was merely an observation."

"I'm sorry Seven. I guess I'm a little... anxious today."

"That is understandable, Naraku is a formidable opponent, and Inu-Yasha is a far more reckless individual than most."

*That's comforting.* Kagome said sarcastically. She also wasn't as comfortable around Seven as she was with the other crew members but she didn't want to disturb Inu-Yasha's training and she was curious to find out what Seven had learned about the mysterious Demon planet, so she asked.

"Nothing." Seven stated concisely.

"What do you mean nothing?"

"Precisely that, there is no further information in our data base. Either someone is keeping it well hidden, or it no longer exists."

"That's what you said last time, but I thought you were going to talk to some Admirals in Starfleet."

"There was no one in Starfleet who knows about the Planet or the colony, though they assured me they would research it further. Perhaps we will find out more in the next transmission from Earth." Seven said referring to there now monthly communication with Earth.

"I bet it's a conspiracy," Naomi chimed in. "Chell is always saying..."

"It is probably wise to tune Chell out when he goes on one of his rants." Seven said then asked Kagome. "Why are you so curious to know about a planet full of enemies?"

"Not all Demons are bad, but in my time there aren't nearly as many Demons as in Inu-Yasha's, I had thought they all died out or something. But now that I know they traveled into space... "

"You are hoping that if you and Inu-yasha have to stay in this time that perhaps you would have a place on this planet." Seven surmised.

"Something like that." Kagome didn't really want to think about it though.


*****
Holo -Deck:

After a few hours of training, Tuvok and Inu-Yasha had barely broken a sweat, which despite the rigorous workout was not unusual for either Half Demons or Vulcans.

"I think that will be all for today. A few more sessions and you may be on your way to controlling your Demon half completely." Tuvok stated.

"More lessons, I may have to deal with Naraku now, or have you forgotten that we're headed right for him?"

"I have not forgotten, and while you have made considerable progress in such a short amount of time, you still invest too much time and energy on revenge. You spoke of wanting to become full Demon in order to harden your heart. With more training you can do so without becoming full Demon. But for now let Voyager handle Naraku, put your trust in others, you cannot fight every battle."

"But Naraku is mine."

"I believe you have just proven my point."

"I don't want to destroy Naraku just for revenge. . ." Inu-Yasha trailed off and Tuvok was uncertain if he would have finished even if they had not been interrupted.

"Janeway to Tuvok."

"Go ahead Captain."

"Report to the bridge we are coming upon the debris field."

"On our way Captain."

*****

Astrometrics:

"We are approaching the debris field, do you not wish to join Inu-Yasha on the bridge?" Seven asked Kagome.

"If he wanted me there he would come for me." 'But maybe he isn't coming because of what I said this morning.'

*****
Bridge:

Inu-Yasha steps out of the Turbo-Lift.


"You're just in time, we're coming up on the location of the distress signal now." Janeway said and nodded to the view screen.
There we see, a vast area of space covered with bits of ships of various sizes. Lights are blinking here and there.

Harry says from his station. "Captain I am detecting life signs, but they are very weak. Captain it's Naraku."

"You realize it's probably a trap?" Inu-Yasha counters.

"Of course, I'm glad you agree." Janeway stated. "Can we beam him to the brig."

"Yeah that'll hold him." Inu-Yasha scoffed.

"The craft's shields are fluctuating I may be able to get a.. Captain the ship is powering up!"

"Back us off Mr. Paris."

Paris did as ordered but they were now surrounded by the debris of the debris field and there wasn't much space for a large craft like theirs to maneuver.

"It's headed right for us."

"Evasive manou..."

But before the order could even be given, Voyager is rocked by the impact of Naraku's ship breaching the hull.

"Hull breach on deck 7 Cargo bay 1. Emergency force fields are holding but we've lost transporters and our warp field has collapsed."

"Tuvok take a security team down there now." Janeway ordered.

However Tuvok and Inu-yasha were already headed for the turbo lift. They faced off for a long moment. Tuvok had been wondering what Inu-Yasha meant when he said earlier about wanting more than revenge, but something in his eyes was pleading and trustworthy and Tuvok did not have the time to argue with the stubborn Half Demon.

***

Inu-Yasha and the security team arrive at the Cargo Bay to find a small ship wedged in there good with smoke coming from some live circuits.

Tuvok takes out his Tricorder to scan the ship. "Naraku is no longer aboard, I am detecting a transporter signal."

"Kagome!" Inu-Yasha rushes out of the room.

"Stay with the ship." Tuvok orders his security team and then follows Inu-Yasha as best he can.

Inu-Yasha had to ask the computer woman where Kagome was to be sure but he soon made it to Astrometrics. Too bad he was already too late.

"Look at this Inu-Yasha, a two for one deal," He held Kagome and Seven in his grip.. " and you've come too late once again." Naraku says as he shimmers out of the room.

Inu-Yasha let out a frustrated growl since it was impossible to follow him the way he had gone. He must be returning to the ship in the Cargo Bay.

"Inu-Yasha." A tiny voice distracted him from his mission.

"Naomi." The little girl was hiding beneath a control panel.

"I couldn't stop him, so I hid. But he wasn't after me anyway."

"Keh you're too small to do any good so you were right not to try." Inu-Yasha scooped the kid up in his arms, and left with her as fast as he could.

He ran into Tuvok in the Turbo lift.

"He's got them." Inu-Yasha said as Tuvok commanded the lift to take them back to the Cargo Bay.

When they arrived Inu-Yasha handed Naomi off and took out his sword but again he was too late, the ship was beginning to power up and force it's way back through the hole it had made in Voyager's side. It shook and shimmied and was beginning to violently move away from the hull.

"Kagome!"

"Stay back Inu-Yasha." Tuvok warned as he struggled to hold on to Naomi and fight against the powerful suction.

The ship finally wrenched itself free and Inu-Yasha took off after it not listening to Tuvok.

The emergency force fields went up, but not before the dislodged ship took two cargo containers and one half dog demon into the black vacuum of space.



To Be Continued *Dun*.*Dun*.*Dun*.