InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Which Way I Went ❯ Birthday Gift ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Yeah so…… I guess I'm gonna try this out. Let's see how this baby turns out. I don't own inuyasha, though I wish I did cuz I'd be rich!! Lol anyways the only character I own out of this whole story is Sakura (how original huh?) Tori and Mel, other than that unless I say, the others belong to Rumiko Takahashi
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
You know those eerie feelings you get whenever you know something's going on yet you weren't included in the circle? That pit of your stomach that tightens and your body feels prepared for the worst, or the best thing to happen to you. Well oddly enough it happened when my friends had blind folded me and dragged me on a plane on the day of my birthday. All my body could recognize was the vibrations of the engines pulse through the seats of American airlines and the voice of a little kid talking about traveling on an airplane for the first time. This was the first dead give away.
 
“Alright guys. Where are we goin?”
 
The giggles of my two friends, Tori and Mel, where all I needed to know that I wasn't going to be given an answer anytime soon. I was a little nervous about where I was going when the plane took off, because I knew full well that I didn't have money to be anywhere else in the country. Or out of the country. But I trusted Tori and Mel, they knew what they were doing, they knew my situations, and they've never given me a reason to doubt their decisions. So I guess all I could do was relax and enjoy the plane ride.
 
I thought about life sitting there as the passengers around me chatted away about businesses and families, jobs and social standings. I mean how can one not think about life when she's seeing nothing but black and hears only about the other problems or situations people have in life. The torment of their job or the happiness their spouse brings them or that divorce file that cost them millions and they were only left with the mortgage payment on the house. It makes you think of your own and how you so much want to show the people who talk to you that you really don't need their advice. You're smart enough to know which path to take. Being only two years away from graduation though, 16 and full of life and joy, it's scary to think that it's so close till I have to make the decision.
So deep in thought I didn't even know I had fallen asleep. I was woken up by the jolt the plane creates when the tires hit the pavement of the landing strip. Sadly enough when I opened my eyes I still saw black.
 
“Damn”
 
“haha what were you expecting? That this was all a dream?”
 
Tori's flowery sweet voice was like surround sound, you couldn't really ever tell where she was because her voice seem to come from every direction. So when I tried to make a guess at where she was by reaching out my hand only came in contact with cushion. Another giggle was let out, this time it was Mel, low, smooth and mellow.
 
“Well when one turns 16 and she's kidnapped by her friends she's usually taken for a ride in a CAR. Airplanes aren't really a common thing so yeah, I guess I was kinda hopin' for me to wake up in the back seat of a Mercedes or somethin.”
 
One of them helped me out of my seat and down the isle. Out in the lobby, or what I was guessing to be the lobby of the airport, there was a blast of voices and music. Where ever I was it sure was lively. But that feeling in the pit of my stomach, my nervous feeling, was coming back to me because as I listened closely to the voices and trying to pick up the conversations people where having to get a good idea of where I was, it didn't sound like English. Somehow though it sounded familiar.
Tori and Mel had a good hold on me as they seemingly rushed me through the crowds. Suddenly a rush of wonderful smells filled my nose and I felt at ease. I'm sure if they were taking me anywhere bad it would smell this good. The warmth from the sun on my skin was a sensation I rarely got to feel. I had always spent my days either in school or working at the restaurant I was lucky to get hired at. And considering I'm paler than usual I'm pretty sure the sun was good for my skin as well. It was just the blonde dye that was newly put into my hair just last week I was worried about. I wanted to stay a blonde, not a snow princess.
 
“Take us to this address please”
 
I cocked my head at the sudden sound of Mel's voice. I really don't know why but I was trying to look around to see things with the realization a second later that I was still blindfolded. Yes, I felt like an idiot. There was an awkward silence that made me feel a little uncomfortable and Tori's laugh of realization showed that I wasn't the only one feeling this way.
 
“Don't worry sir. We're not kidnapping her. It's her birthday and we're surprising her with a great present! And it's at that address.”
 
“Tori I'm pretty sure he figured that one out. I mean we wouldn't be goin anywhere else if we gave him that address.”
 
“Well Mel I was just making sure he knew we WERE goin to that place”
 
Mel let out a sigh and told the guy they were talking to, whom I'm guess was a cab driver or something, that we were on a tight schedule and we should get moving. Now the 2nd give away, which happened to be the last, happened when the man spoke. He only spoke a couple words but it was so clear, so recognizable it was ridiculous. He said, “let's go then” except it was in Japanese. I knew instantly where I was and what I was doing here, or more like what I was going to do.
 
“Tori… Mel”
 
I tried to speak but my mouth was covered quickly and I was hushed by my two girls, which meant they knew I figured out where I was going.
 
 
See I used to live in Japan. With a family who, well had too much to handle. They were my family yes but me leaving to America to live with some distant relative whom I had never met nor known was even part of my family was the best thing I could do for them. Or at least that's what my dad said. That was back when I was only 6 since then I hadn't seen them for 10 years and our only communication was through letters and phone calls, which eventually died over the years. And they were the surprise Tori and Mel were giving me, even though they I didn't like them very well. What a birthday THIS was going to be.
The path to the Higure Shrine was all too familiar. With a turn here and a stop light there and another turn here it felt like it was only yesterday I was still living in Japan. And it didn't take that long to get from the airport to the shrine, I still remember how even as a little kid it wasn't short. The only thing that seemed to be endless was my mother's crying.
The car stopped and I was led out of the car slowly. Even though the sun was shining my skin had this cold aura and I felt like this was one of those obstecals I was thinking about earlier on the plane. It was something I would have to face head on.
 
“Alright now the first step is right here. Just keep stepping till we say to stop and you should be fine. Tori and I will be right here.”
 
“With your help I could be walking into the lions den.”
 
Mels voice was uneasy, like she wasn't so sure that she had the situtation under control but she laughed to try and conver up her uneasiness. Didn't work so well. One step after the other brought me closer to something I didn't want to experince for the rest of my life, memories. One step after the other brought me closer to something that would change my life.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
After climbing steps that seemed forever I reached the top with that step where you think it's there but it's not so you look and feel like an idiot trying to step on an imaginary step. Well I did that and I tripped, grasping my friends arms and apparently they weren't ready for something like that to happen. Soon we were all in a pile on the ground with me on the bottom. My blindfold came off and I was staring a grey stone. The sun was bright even from where I was, on the ground, and to me it seemed like it was purposfully trying to blind me. Trying to figure who was where and how to get up we didn't realize that someone was right in front of us. But even without looking at her I knew who she was when she spoke.
 
“Can I help you girls?”
 
My body froze. I couldn't move. I didn't want to. So I looked up as far as my head could but I could only see the shadowy figure of a woman with the sun behind her, imitating a halo above her head. Pulling myself I stood up to face my mother, looking into her hazel eyes as the shock of my prescence was visible on her face. She let out a gasp and put her hand on her mouth to cover her surprise. We said nothing, just stared. Then I saw movement behind her, a little boy and a girl who looked the same age as me. Kagome. My sister. I was home once again. But it still didn't feel like it.
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 
Yeah so there's numero uno! Wow….. I actually stayed up to finish it even if it didn't make sense. It was bugging me!!! IT WOULDN'T LEAVE ME ALONE!!! Lol so please review and don't burn me too much please. I'm no expert so you can't say that I said I was.