InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Which Way I Went ❯ Starting From Where We Left Off ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Thanks to Vandreador for the encouragement for my story. So we get another chappie! YAY!!! ^_^ So I still don't own inuyasha, just my character Sakura and any others that don't sound like they belong to the oh great person who is the Inuyasha creator.
 
 
Key
 
 
/me interrupting to say something seemingly important/
 
 
---------- scene change
 
 
----------------------------------
 
 
Being in this house again gave me an awkward feeling. I didn't know whether to feel like a resident in the house or a guest. I looked around at the pictures of our family. There was one with mom and Kagome when she was little, a winter picture of Kagome and little Souta, one of grandpa and then one with the whole family, including the cat. I smiled at the goofy poses of mom and Kagome. They seemed to be doing fine, a picture can say a thousand words. Whether they're lies or the truth is the hard part to determine.
I continued down the hall examining the little trinkets and items that decorated the walls. One picture though caught my eye immediately. It was a picture of my dad and me, smiling, holding up a freshly caught fish. I stared at it wondering why mom had it out. Why dad had let her keep it out. My head was full of thoughts that haunted me in everyday since I went to America. I just had to pick one that fit with the picture.
 
 
“Well Sakura this is all too emotional for us soooooooo…. We'll see you in two weeks!”
 
 
I snapped back into reality when Tori and Mel ganged up on me with goodbye hugs and dashed for the door. I made a dash for them too
wondering what the hell they were doing leaving me here.
 
 
“You guys drag me all the way over here to leave me in the company of silence? And then you leave!? What are you guys thinking?”
 
 
“Sakura this will be good for you. You need to see you're family again and it's only two weeks. Nothing wrong with that you'll live I promise”
 
 
Mel cupped my head in her hands and looked at me straight in the eyes.
 
 
“It's only two weeks. Say it, it's only two weeks”
 
 
I looked at her with the urge to jump on her back and pound on her head.
“It's…only two weeks”
 
 
“Good. Now move we have a plane to catch.”
 
 
They both smiled and said goodbye to my mother and me. I watched from the top of the stairs as the taxi drove away. This couldn't be happening. It was a dream. I would wake up in my cousin's apartment to find that she had a party that night and empty beers bottles would be scattered in the living room. I would get ready for school, make myself something to eat, and be out the door into my car in no time. I just needed to wake up.
Sad thing was I never did, either that or this was a really long nightmare.
 
 
-----------------------------------------------------
 
 
The food was delicious. I'd forgotten how great a cook my mother was. I had one heaping full plate and seconds still had room. After I was full I fell on my back and let out a great sigh. My mother laughed at my satisfaction, that soft gentle laugh she used to do whenever I did something funny and cute at the same time, like going cross-eyed when a butterfly lands on your nose. As I sat up I looked around to see what else I hadn't tried.
 
 
“My Sakura you make it seem like they never fed you over in America.”
 
 
“Not like this!”
 
 
She smiled and I felt something I hadn't in awhile. I felt like everything could be normal and pleasant. Like it WAS good. But in my effort to search for other unknown treats to devour my eyes came across Kagome.
She had been silent almost the whole time I had been here. Her only words I heard were “hi” and “pass the peas please”. She gave me that feeling like I wasn't really supposed to be here. I could tell, just by her staring off into space or more like her plate, I was still the black sheep in her eyes. I stared at her, watched her touch nothing on her plate but a single pea, which she was rolling around with her chopstick. I examined my sister. I saw her as someone whom I haven't seen for 10 years, someone who hadn't written, hadn't called, and yet I saw no change in her. I knew her black hair though it had gotten longer, her perfect skin though it was a little darker, her eyes. Her eyes. What was so alive and perfected with youth now had circles underneath and looked weary. Like one who fights a war that never seems to end.
 
 
“Kagome,” My mother's words jerked the both of us out of our daze. “You haven't touched your food. Is something the matter?”
 
 
Kagome didn't reply. At least not with words. She merely shook her head, got up, and excused herself from the table. The uncomfortable silence that followed once she left the room was unbearable. So, me being to talkative, I talked more about America and all it's wonders. While at the same time my mind trying to follow Kagomes method for hating me when it was our father who sent me away.
 
 
----------------------------------------------
 
 
When night came around I was assigned to Kagomes room to sleep. A cute room, nicely decorated, organized. To one side of the wall was her bed all nicely made and across on the other wall was her desk, covered with open txt books and papers and eraser shavings sprinkled all over. The text was not strange to me even though I practically grew up in America. Like a song on a radio you haven't heard it in awhile though when you hear it the words come to you fresh. I read the equations and understood most of them. In fact I found myself trying to solve one when Kagome stepped in. I looked up at her, expecting her to say something but nothing came our. So I spoke for her.
 
 
“Nice room.”
 
 
What a conversation starter huh? The silence was deafening as she stood there looking at me with expectation, like I was supposed to say something. But I really had no clue what else to babble on about that would stop her from looking at me that way.
 
 
“You can get ready in the bathroom if you want. For the shower you just pull and turn the knob and the towels are in the cabinet beside the sink.”
 
I nodded and walked past her. The bathroom wasn't very hard to miss considering it smelled of honeydew and wild flower, a strange combination but was appealing to the nose. I flipped the light switch and was welcomed by a yellow room, not too bright but was still an odd color. I looked at the shower and decided I would take one in the morning. Going to bed with wet hair on someone else's bed wouldn't be something I would want myself. I did make it a mission to wash my face before bed though. I looked around for something that wouldn't burn my skin and found a face wash exactly like mine with Kagome written across the front. Interesting. I washed up in no time and took a good look at myself in the mirror.
There was nothing that could convince me that I was my mother's daughter. Nothing. I looked so much different from her. Aside from the newly added blond covering my shoulder height hair I had a big pair of luscious green eyes. Yeah I know how conceded that sounded but even I was amazed by how green they were. They weren't just light green or forest green, they were emerald green. And they stared back at me every time I looked in a mirror, always a stunning look against my pale complexion. As beautiful as they were, I tried to hide them. They were what made dad mad. When I was little, he would pace the room saying, “She's still young. The color will change when she's older” or “My family has never had green eyes, so they must come from your side.” But even then I knew they didn't.
Dad. Where was he? I left the bathroom once my face was dry back to Kagome's. She was sitting in her desk reading the text book and writing what I assumed was notes. It was a shame I had to bother her with a question.
 
 
“Hey um, when's,…. When's dad coming home?” Such a forward question.
 
 
At first she didn't answer and for a minute I thought she didn't hear me or she was ignoring me. Getting ready to ask again she finally answered.
 
 
“He isn't.”
 
 
I stood silent knowing perfectly well what she meant
 
 
“When did he leave?”
 
 
“A month after you left. Couldn't stand to be in this house.”
 
 
Her not looking up at me when she answered was a sign that she would say nothing more if I pressed on. Fair enough though. I haven't been here long enough to become part of the family again. Not like I ever was. I decided the best thing to do was to leave the subject alone and go to sleep. Sleep was always good. Always made things go away if only for a while. Sleep right now would be my friend.
 
 
But alas, sleep did not stay. It never stayed for the next three days. Dreams of love, torment and life haunted my every second of sleep. Sometimes they would be of a mother dressed in a white kimono with gold thread and jade charms sewn into the cloth. Others would be of war and a household falling to bits, assassination. But the one that would visit me the most wasn't really of pain or family, it was full of questions. It would start out with a garden full of peach trees and Sakura trees in full blossom. River with a small man made waterfall off to the side of a stonewall. Off to the side was a small red house with skillfully carved wooden windows. The roof was Chinese style with gold lining and dragon statues to guard the four entrances around it, but the inscriptions carved all around the structure were in Japanese, spells casting away the enemies and demons of the “Jade Empire”. I could walk through the whole garden to marvel at the magnificent stone figures of warriors and spirits that lay dormant within the many plants but my body moved onward to look within the small building. It seems I would go in but I stop short of the river and only peek in at two figures running around the inside. They're little. I assume every time they're children though I never really know.
Inside is lit with candles hanging in disks above them and the figure of a little girl is the first one to be lit up, though I only see her back, her pink kimono covered with blossoms and koi fish. The other one however is perfectly visible a second later. They stop and he takes her in his arms and holds her like a doll and she doesn't protest or fight back. What really gets to me is how this boy looks. His eyes, staring at me like he sees me, are hazel, and he has red marks along his cheeks, two on each side. His hair is long and silver and he has a half moon on his forehead. As he stares at me his hand raises as if to reach out to me but I wake up before I know what happens. And always I wake up with questions.
 
-------------------------------------------
 
I woke up that Saturday to find I was the only one to occupy Kagome's room. Seeing as how Kagome got up I thought I should get up too. As I moved my legs so they were hanging over the edge of the bed I heard some voices coming from the kitchen, apparently trying to whisper but failing miserably. I slowly got out of my bed and crept over the hall and listened in. It was Kagome and mother.
 
“I'm not taking her she doesn't know what's going on. I don't know if she's even gonna stay calm when she sees all the demons around her.”
 
“Kagome you must she's your sister. She deserves to see what life her sister has been leading. Come one it would be a good thing. You two would have some time to bond.”
 
“The only thing I'll be doing is saving her all the damn time. I'm not taking her. I'd be too busy anyways.”
 
Mother's sigh was a sign she had lost the battle. My interests were up and my senses for adventure were tingling inside of me so much I wanted to move and interrogate where she was supposed to take me but I didn't budge.
 
“I'll be leaving in 20. I'll go ahead to the store and buy some snacks Sango, Inuyasha, Shippo and Miroku have been bugging me for and when I get back I'll head to the well.”
 
“Alright”
 
When I heard footsteps I rushed back to my room and jumped in bed, pretending to still be asleep. I could hear someone come into the room and try to sneak by me over to the desk. I opened my eyes a peek and saw Kagome stuffing books and pencils into her giant yellow bag. Man it was a huge bag. I wanted to call her Mary Poppins and shove a lamp in there to see if it would swallow it. After packing what seemed a library she left and I quickly got up to get dressed. I was almost to the front door when mother caught me with a good morning.
 
“Would you like some breakfast dear?
 
It sounded temping but that thirst for adventure in my system needed to be satisfied first. I politely denied the offer and went outside. For being here for one week I never really walked around the shrine. Sure I went to run errands around the city but I never went around the actual shrine. I scanned my sights for what seemed interesting to explore but nothing really caught my eye. There was the storage house and the giant tree surrounded by a rope and some paper. There was a small garden and a little fountain. But nothing stuck with me, except one thing, the small house off to the side. I walked over to examine the decaying wooden house and feeling the rough texture of the small designs carved into it I accidentally pushed the door. Darkness. I saw nothing but it and to me, this place seemed like nothing new. It seemed all too familiar. I strained my eyes to adjust to the dark but only got as far as the stairs descending down. I walked forward a bit only to hear Kagomes voice calling out to mother. I ran inside and off to a corner in the shadows. Hoping she wouldn't see me. Her body tan past me like a bunny on caffeine and jumped down into what I could now make as a well, a purple light rising from it after she descended down. I walked over to look at it, hypnotized by it all. That's when I could hear it. I don't know what “it” was but I could hear it. It was calling my name. The light was pulling me in. I know it was. Before I knew it was falling face forward through a chamber of purple and black, stars twinkling as bright as diamonds. My body was light and my hair felt like velvet. It was a sensation through my body that I never wanted to end but I soon saw ground again and hit it pretty hard. What replaced light and velvet was now dirt and rocks.
 
“Whew,” I said as I sat there, the feeling of embarrassment sinking in with each breathe I took and exhaled to blow out the dirt, “Enough excitement for me.”
 
I got up wondering how I was ever going to get out of this one. That's when I saw vines. Hey, an idiot could've seen those and thought escape. I just wasn't one of them. I thought gardening THEN escape. I climbed them all the way to the top and out of the well. When I fell out though I fell on something I really wasn't expecting to hit. Grass.
 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
 
Yay numero dos!! Please review and Thanks again Vandreador for encouraging me to go on. ^_^ Please review. I would like to know what your thoughts are.