InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Whose Child is This? ❯ Kagome's fear ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter workings for other stories
 
~~Sesshoumaru's P.O.V. ~~
 
I awoke at dawn and felt the small warm breaths of my little mate on my chest. I could not resist running my hand through her hair again. It still held that childish softness similar to a young pup's. My mind was much clearer and though yesterday brought a startling amount on change into my life it was not all that bad.
 
A smile slowly spread across his face as he cocked his head up and to the side to see Kagome's face as she had her fists curled under her chin and her nose against his chest. She was so small and fragile. His heart clenched again at the thought of how much pain he had put her through again but he pushed it aside, she had forgiven him.
 
Carefully extracting himself from the bed he replaced a pillow near her to cuddle up too. Kissing her brow he made his way to his closet and choose some clothes that would hold up around Kagome. He found out early that she a magnet for stains and all shorts of trouble for she rarely looked where she was going. Her cute face had won over some of his most hardened guards and his secretaries. They all now carried little pieces of candy on them or near them for her. A jolly rancher would quite her if she was talking too much or a lollypop to keep her distracted. They had it down to an art and his secretaries would go on and on about how lovely and well mannered she was.
 
He didn't need to make excuses up anymore for people who showed up for unwanted meetings. It was almost comical when a four year old girl would storm into his office and declare that it was her time to be here and that who ever had just intruded had to leave. Some she was polite too but if they had no reason to be there, other then to complain, she would give her reasoning that since complaining never changed anything and that supposedly `I' had volunteered to watch her that they should leave for `I' would be unable to watch her if I was distracted. She would then give her pouty lip and sad face and almost all had crumbled saying they were sorry for intruding on her time. They even went too far as to say `I' had grown a heart that she must be an angle to get through to me. She would smile mysteriously and ask if they were sure she wasn't before skipping over to my desk and opening her arms wide for me to pick her up. Of course since she had saved me from another headache I would pick her up and let her sit in my lap for a period of time before she would move herself back to her chair and do whatever she had brought that day.
 
I was never sure who taught her that a reward should only last five minutes but it was always exactly five minutes from the minute the person left and the door closed to the time she got herself down from my lap. Sometimes it almost made my sigh in exasperation, though until I realized I cared about her, it had been hard for me to understand why I felt that way. It became startling clear to me that I cared about her when one complainant decided that he wasn't going to let a four year old talk to him like she did and decided to back hand her in my presence. In a blink of an eye I had stood and shoved my desk to the side and had the bastard by the throat and in the air against my door struggling to breath. It wasn't till Kagome touched my leg that I realized I couldn't kill him in this day and age, not without real cause, so I gave her a nod and kicked the scum out of my way and to open the door and then grabbed him and threw him out. Calling my secretaries and guards I had the man arrested for child abuse and had a quick picture taken for police and had her back in my office on her chair in less then five minutes.
 
She had not cried out when the man hit her but the bruise was nasty already. I had carefully licked her cheek and whispered and apology to her. My instincts clamored to go hurt the scum some more but I instead held her and rocked her till she fell asleep. I believe she had gone into shock for it wasn't till her eyes closed that she cried. Her tears were as silent as she had been but the smell had bothered me.
 
She was melancholy for almost a week afterward and had shied away from people until a young mother with a kitsune pup had showed up. The little boy had gotten lost like she had when she first came here and she had helped him find her. The hug she had gotten for the thankful mother seemed to restore her trust in people and she finally went back to normal. For which I was thankful and immediately gave the young woman's husband a raise and a personal thank you from my secretary.
 
After that was when I made her gifts stop disappearing and let them hide in her cupboard when she wasn't there. It seemed a little sad that I actually had had room for her things because the way my office had been designed. I used to have so many files that it cluttered up my office. So when I had to move everything out I found that some of the files were too old to be any use any longer and cleared over 20 years of paper from my office. This left me with almost a wall of extra cupboards. To which I promptly moved her things into and only were taken out when she was there.
 
Little things at the time quickly added up now that I thought about it. It seemed as if I had already been courting her and testing her. She knew my moods for the most part already. Though she was young she grasped concepts easily if explained to her properly. She was quite when I needed her to be. It was no small wonder why I cared for her. The only thing that surprised me is that I found a match with a human.
 
However, Kagome being as young as she was did present a few problems that extended beyond her training and education. She was not yet a full mate and I would have trouble every spring until she deemed herself ready. I usually took a few of the old maids from the castle days that were still unmated for my relief but that was no longer an option. She was way to young and small to accommodate me as a mate should. That left me either teaching her about oral sex or some how locking myself up and taking matters into my own hands. The options were very depressing but I would make the most of it.
 
Looking at her one last time it was time to arrange for her schooling. My office was not far from my bedroom and I was sure that if Kagome awoke I would know. Pausing I rearranged my desk so everything was cleared off except my mouse and keyboard for I knew Kagome would want to sit on the desk to see what I did. I also got two regular click pens and pad of paper. Searching the internet I was able to find several reputable places that would offer in home tutors both for training and schooling. Writing down a few names I proceeded to check up on the back round of each school and teachers I was willing to work with.
 
I had three candidates for training her powers when I felt Kagome awaken and was not all that surprised that she was up late after what happened yesterday. Deciding to test the bond I gave a little pull and waited to see if she could find me. It took a few minutes for her to show up but she did come in stumbling and rubbing her eyes while she yawned and I caught another glimpse of her newly sharpened fangs. They were petite like her but she never looked more like a pup. Chuckling I waited for her to come to me.
 
“Fluffy?” she called her voice still soft from sleep,
 
“Yes Kagome?”
 
“Why do I feel as though you said my name or at least wanted me a little while ago? Is something wrong?”
 
“No Kagome I was just testing the bond. I wanted to see if you could feel me.”
 
“Yeah! You made me fall out of bed you meanie. You pulled to hard I think because it was like someone grabbed me by the back of my shirt and pulled me off the bed.”
 
“I am sorry Kagome. That was not my intent.”
 
“Gr! Can I go back to sleep now?” she whined.
 
“No Kagome. You have slept enough. It is time to get dressed so we can go get your things from your sisters.”
 
“Already? What time is it?”
 
“It is 11 a.m.”
 
“Oh?! Jeeze usually I wake up at six. I sure don't feel that awake.”
 
“Food will help you more then more sleep Kagome. You need food to replenish your energy.”
 
“Oh? Okay, so then where do I go to eat and what is on the menu?” I chuckled again at her straight to the point attitude.
 
“My personal cook can make almost anything you desire Kagome. If you go to the end of the hall and take a right and keep walking you will come to the kitchen. Aiko should be in there preparing lunch for the rest of the staff.”
 
“Okay!” she said as she made a much more hurried exit then she had entrance. Leaving her in the capable hands of my chef I continued to work for another hour.
 
I made a list of a few more teachers that I would let my secretary research for me I made my way to the kitchen. To my surprise Kagome was mixing a batter of what smelled to be cookies and my cook was jabbering a mile a minute about the things she was making. She had Kagome's rapt attention as she told her what things to add to the batter to make it better.
 
I leaned against the door frame and watched my little mate as she concentrated on the bowl and whip before her. Trying to make even strokes through the thick batter. I watched them for almost another fifteen or so minutes before Aiko said that they were ready to start laying out the cookies.
 
“Yeah! Won't Sesshoumaru-sama be surprised Aiko? You said these are his favorite right?”
 
“Yes Kagome. They should be ready by the time you return.”
 
“Good. Don't tell anyone Aiko! Sesshoumaru had a rough day yesterday and he needs something soothing. Is everyone else setting up the rest?”
 
“The gardener said you would have the pick of the blooms and the maids went to fetch what you requested.”
 
“Then we are all set! I hope he likes this.”
 
“I am sure he will. Not many would have remembered his birthday Kagome. He never does anything for it and if it weren't for his father no one would even know when it was.”
 
“Well I am glad he called then. Smart of him to call the staff line rather then the house phone, Sesshoumaru will be none the wiser.” After hearing that I quietly backed off a little smiling again at how thoughtful my little mate was. She had been still stiff and sore and hour ago and yet now here she was taking part in my annual surprise party that my father threw. It hit me then that it was only the day before that I claimed Kagome as my mate. It was very tacky in youkai society to have two such important events so close. My head pulsed at the thought of all the annoyances that I would have to go through once everyone found out.
 
Heading half way back down the hall I then called out, “Kagome!” I heard the shushing of Aiko as she probably put her finger over Kagome's mouth. I reentered the kitchen to see Kagome sitting at the breakfast table and munching on some crackers.
 
“Are you ready Kagome?” she nodded and got up. Handing her plate to Aiko I took her hand and led her to my SUV. I knew we would probably need the room for all of her things. Kagome was quiet as I started the car and drove to her home. It was slightly disturbing to see her so quiet for no reason but if she wanted to talk I would talk and if she need to think well I would let her do that too. It was almost an hour drive to her house that was on shrine property but we had made good time.
 
As I unbuckled my seat belt Kagome cleared her throat. “Yes?”
 
“Will I be able to keep my night light?” she asked as she fidgeted. I was surprised that she even had one, with her intelligence she should realize there was little that would attack her at night.
 
“Why do you need it?”
 
“It makes me fell better. Mom and grandpa were killed in the dark.”
 
“How do you know that?”
 
“Promise you won't tell my sister?” her voice trembled.
 
“I promise.”
 
“I gave momma a necklace for her birthday and I had just begun my training. Mom helped me put a charm on it so I would know when she was coming home. The night she was killed I was dreaming and I saw the youkai that attacked momma and grandpa. He was laughing hysterically and waving a long sword around. He called momma a lot of names and finally struck her through the heart. I could almost feel momma's pain and then I was forced awake by my sister Kikyo saying I was yelling at someone to stay away from momma. It wasn't till morning that Kikyo realized what had happened. I never told her about the dream. I was only 2 and could barely understand some of the words he used but they are forever in my memory. The light helps me keep the nightmares away.”
 
“Kagome.” I unbuckled her seat belt and brought her into my lap. “I will protect you Kagome. If you need a little light then yes you may have it. However, I would ask that you trust in me to keep you safe. I would not allow anyone to hurt you as your mom was.” She nodded her head and I knew that she would need the comfort of the light a while longer yet. No one should have to watch some one kill their parent but what was done was done and I could only help her move on. If I ever came across this youkai he would know pain for what he has done to my little mate, This Sesshoumaru swears.