InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Why? ❯ Chapter 1

[ A - All Readers ]

Hi all!
 
 
This is to D.H.T.'s `Why', which is one of my fave songs right now(BTW - anything in the song lyrics that's in parentheses is an echo.). It is a deathfic, and Itried not to reveal too soonwho dies, if you read my profile, you'll probably be able to guess who. You'll probably want to kill me for it, though - my friends want to. Anyway, have fun and remember to R&R!
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the song `Why?' by the group D.H.T., nor do I own the characters or original show storyline from the anime/manga Inuyasha by Takahashi Rumiko.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-1234567890-
 
 
Why?
- Chapter 1
 
 
(Torn away without good-bye)
 
 
Today marked two weeks.
 
 
Two weeks since the worst day of Inuyasha's life…
 
 
Dark outside early in the morning
In the cold standing on my own
 
 
Winter had fully set in the week before, and yet Inuyasha was still sitting in the Goshinboku, snow all around yet none falling on him because of the protection of its branches. Staring out the falling snow, he fiddled with the small crystal orb in his pocket.
 
 
I feel lost
Don't know where I'm going
Without you, I'm all alone
 
 
It was the only thing left of hers; the only thing he could keep with him - though what he truly wanted was the crystal's owner, but that was impossible now. Inuyasha had barely moved from his spot on the branch since that day a fortnight ago. Shippou was the only who had gotten him to eat anything, though it was much less, and eaten at a much slower pace, than normal.
 
 
(Without you, I'm all alone)
 
 
The others watched him, the sadness in their hearts weighing them down severely, but the hanyou's spirit seemed to have been broken by that event. His mind was filled with a jumble of thoughts and questions, but the one that kept returning to the forefront was “Why? Why did you do that?”
 
 
Where are you and kami why'd you leave me
You were the one to fill my life
 
 
He had relived the events of that day countless times in the last two weeks, but he went over them again anyway, trying to see if he missed something, anything, that would give him a clue as to what passed through her mind when she destroyed Naraku…
 
 
*****Flashback*****
 
 
The gang was in a fight with Naraku, only this was anything but their usual fight. This was it, the big shebang, winner-take-all. Inuyasha and the others had found the last shard; thanks to Koga turning his over to Kagome, the only piece left to collect was the hunk that Naraku had.
 
 
The fight wasn't going so well for our heroes. Miroku was unable to use his kazanna due to the presence of the Samiyosho; having to rely on his ofuda and his shakujou alone was tiring him a lot more than he'd care to admit.
 
 
Kirara had gotten stung several times and the venom was getting to her; she had already reverted to her smaller kitten form to conserve energy. Shippou was trying his best to protect her with his magic tricks and his kitsune bi. Sango was trying to help Miroku, but a bite from an earlier demon had injured her right shoulder and her aim wasn't quite as good with her left arm alone.
 
 
Suddenly I can never see you
Torn away without good-bye
 
 
Kagome and Inuyasha were not faring too much better; the biggest difference was that instead of fighting the simple, yet dangerous, subordinate demons, they were faced with their master - Naraku. Kagome was nearly out of arrows and miko energy, and even Inuyasha was tired and injured.
 
 
Naraku, on the other hand, was only getting stronger. It seemed that every time he injured one of them, he got a little burst of power. Inuyasha had just been thrown to the ground by one of Naraku's tentacles and Kagome was helping him up. “You okay?” she asked. Inuyasha, wincing a little at the pain of standing up, said “Keh. I will be once this bastard is gone for good.”
 
 
At that, Naraku sent out a vicious looking barbed tentacle toward Inuyasha and Kagome, intent on crushing them. It forced them to dive in opposite directions. Once Kagome rolled to a stop, she stood up and looked anxiously to see how Inuyasha was doing.
 
 
Why, tell me, why?
What I want is another chance to show you
That I love you
That I need you
`Cause I want you by my side
 
 
Inuyasha was standing up as well, but he was facing away from Naraku and thus didn't see the tentacle headed straight for him, sharp and ready to impale him. Reacting solely on instinct, Kagome notched and fired her last remaining arrow, destroying the tentacle before it reached him.
 
 
When his ever-twitching hanyou ears caught the sound of her arrow, Inuyasha turned around and looked toward Kagome just in time to her arrow destroy the tentacle. “Hey, thanks Kago-” He broke off, seeing something right behind her. Because she fired her arrow to save him, she didn't have the time or the weapons to avoid the tentacle Naraku had sent toward her and Inuyasha was too far away to stop it. It stabbed her in the back, going right through her chest, sticking out about a foot.
 
 
Why, tell me, why?
What I want is another chance to show you
That I love you
That I need you
`Cause I want you by my side
 
 
Naraku rose up on the other end of the tentacle, laughing, the sound of which grated on Inuyasha's ears. “She played right into my hands, or more correctly, onto my tentacle,” he said, not being able to resist the one failing of all true villains - the need to gloat. “I knew that if I attacked you, she would save your worthless life, leaving herself wide open for attack. Humans are so pathetic and predictable, wouldn't you agree, Inuyasha?”
 
 
Inuyasha was seething by now - `How dare he harm my Kagome? How dare I let that happen?' - but couldn't attack without fear of hurting Kagome, for Naraku had pulled the tentacle with Kagome on it in front of him, creating a most effective shield against Inuyasha. Having finished off the remaining demons, Miroku, Sango, Shippou, and Kirara had come up to Inuyasha's side and seen what had happened to Kagome. They were speechless, but Inuyasha was not.
 
 
Why, tell me, why?
What I want is another chance to show you
That I love you
That I need you
`Cause I want you by my side
 
 
“Naraku, put her down right now, you animal!” he yelled. Naraku merely laughed again; then he replied, “Thank you for the compliment, Inuyasha. But are you sure you want me to let her go? For if I do, she will surely die.” Inuyasha was way beyond ticked at this point, nearly attacking Miroku when he tapped his shoulder.
 
 
I used to love all the things about you
I wish that I could turn back time
Your soft touch all over my body
Just one thing is on my mind
 
 
“Easy, Inuyasha, it's just me,” said Miroku, raising his hands in a placating gesture, “I merely wished to point out a change in Kagome-sama's energy. It is growing stronger; the levels are rising as well.” `What?' thought Inuyasha, the fear and sorrow in his heart evident, even in his thoughts, `Kagome, what are you planning?'
 
 
Where are you and why did I lose you?
You were the one to fill my life
Suddenly I can never see you
Torn away without good-bye
 
 
(Torn away without good-bye)
 
 
Kagome, meanwhile, had been keeping busy fighting to breathe and trying to focus the remnants of her miko energy. Unfortunately, she realized that the little bit of miko power she had left wouldn't be enough to fully destroy Naraku. `Then I guess I don't have a choice,' she thought, `I'm sorry everyone, but this is the only way.' Her searching brown eyes caught Inuyasha's sad molten amber ones. `I'm sorry,' she thought again before gathering the last of her remaining physical strength to mouth the next four words.
 
 
“I love you, Inuyasha.”
 
 
“Kagome!” came the anguished cry of the hanyou. He jumped up, intent on reaching Kagome, but he was stopped and forced back down by a suddenly visible barrier. “What the…?” he said, jumping to try the barrier again, with the same result. Miroku spoke up then. “Inuyasha, this barrier is formed from Kagome-sama's energy! I'm sure of it.”
 
 
Why, tell me, why?
What I want is another chance to show you
That I love you
That I need you
`Cause I want you by my side
 
 
“She must be trying to protect us,” said Sango, struggling to keep a hold on Shippou, for the little kit was trying desperately to get to his adoptive okaa-san. At that moment, Kagome's energy levels hit critical. There was a huge, bright flash of light; a few seconds later, a resounding sonic boom rang out across the battlefield. A collective cry of “Kagome!” could be heard even above the noise.
 
 
Why, tell me, why?
What I want is another chance to show you
That I love you
That I need you
`Cause I want you
By my side
 
 
When the dust cleared and the barrier faded, there was nothing but a field of bare ground with a solitary patch of green grass that the barrier had protected. Miroku was silent, his face unbelieving at what had just transpired, but he placed his arm around Sango. The taijya's eyes were filled with tears; Kirara was on her shoulder looking down at Shippou, who was still in Sango's arms, but no longer trying to escape them, instead he was crying like crazy.
 
 
Inuyasha was still staring at where Kagome had last been when a flash caught his eye. He walked over and picked up the object that had caught a ray of sunlight, thus catching his attention. It was the completed, purified Shikon-no-tama.
 
 
Why, tell me, why?
What I want is another chance to show you
That I love you
That I need you
`Cause I want you
By my side
 
 
*****End Flashback*****
 
 
Yes, that day two weeks ago definitely qualified as the worst day of Inuyasha's life.
 
 
Why?!
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-1234567890-
 
 
So, what do you think? Wanna kill me for it(J/K)? Should I continue? I have an idea for a second chapter, but I'm not sure if I'll do it or not. I will if I get ten reviews, `cause that's more than any of my other chapters. Let me know what you think in a review!!
 
 
Oh, and BTW - I have forseen two possible questions about this:
 
 
Why didn't Inuyasha use the Red Tetsusaiga?
If you know that the woman you love (but haven't told her you love her) is about to sacrifice herself to protect you and destroy your nemesis, would you think about using a sword? I didn't think so!
 
 
How come Miroku didn't check to see if his kazanna was gone after Naraku was destroyed?
If you just saw the girl you've come to think of as your sister and friend sacrifice herself to destroy the bane of so many's existence, whether or not the hole in your hand was gone would be the last thing on your mind, right?
 
 
Anyway, lemme know what you think! Dai!