InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Why? ❯ Chapter 2

[ A - All Readers ]

Hi again!
 
 
Here's the second chap of Why? - needless to say, it was already done. When I originally posted the first chap on ff.net, I wasn't completely sure about making more chaps, but the response was so great that I had to…. So you guys get the benefit of that!
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
P.S. I've had to pull some names out of thin air for this chap - like one for Kaede's village and others for my OCs that appear in this, and they might get a little confusing, so I'll put a little mini-glossary at the end to help.BTW - You might recognize some of those names - if you do, take a guess in a review and I'll let you know if you're right as to where they come from.As with The Resolution, the disclaimer for them will be in the next chap.
 
 
Disclaimer: I do not own the characters or original show storyline from the anime/manga Inuyasha by Takahashi Rumiko.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-1234567890-123 4567890-
 
 
Why?
Chapter 2
 
 
Kaji was playing on the outskirts of Akiko, his adoptive village. While collecting smooth stones from the silt on the edge of the nearby river, his tanuki-youkai nose caught the scent of human blood. A lot of it. He debated going back to the village and getting his okaa-san, but his natural little boy curious mind got the better of him and he followed the river a bit farther downstream to find the source of the smell.
 
 
He found it in the form of a young human woman who had been apparently washed up on the riverbank, probably courtesy of the strong current. She was dressed in the weirdest kimono Kaji had even seen - green and white in color and way too short - but that was secondary to the fact that her outfit was covered in blood.
 
 
Her deep black hair was covering her face as she lay on her side. Kaji's sensitive ears could pick up the faint sounding of her breathing and he couldn't smell death on her, at least, not yet. But that would change very quickly if he didn't go get some help. Turning on his heel, he ran back to Akiko as fast as he could, calling for his okaa.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
A weird fog surrounded her, blocking out all familiarity with her environment, threatening to lead her astray. Astray from where, she did not know, but she knew that she must get there, somehow. If only this fog wasn't so thick! She blinked her eyes, as if trying to clear them….
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
As Kaji and his mother looked on, the girl laying on the futon stirred ever so slightly, and her eyes fluttered open. “How are you feeling?” asked the elder woman. “Ngh,” answered the girl. “I've definitely been better, but I'm okay. I'm guessing I have you two to thank for that?”
 
 
“You actually have my son, Kaji, to thank,” said the woman. “He found you washed up on the river bed yesterday. He came and got me; we brought you back here and bandaged you up.” Turning her head to look at Kaji, the girl smiled genuinely and thanked him. Then a thought struck her. “Wait a minute, you said he's your son? But he's a full-blood tanuki-youkai, and you're a miko,” she finished, noting the lady's red and white miko outfit.
 
 
“That's right,” said the lady, laughing a bit. “He is my adopted son. His parents were killed trying to defend this village from some renegade demons. Oh, where are my manners? My name is Mai, and of course you've already met Kaji.” The girl on the futon tried to sit up and felt the large shock of pain shoot through her due to the still-severe wound on her chest. She lay back down and said, “My name is Kagome.”
 
 
“Where do you hail from?”
 
 
“Tano village.”
 
 
“Tano?” Mai was surprised. “That's about 3 days' journey on horseback from here. What are you doing so far from home?”
 
 
Kagome shifted a bit to get more comfortable, then began her explanation.
 
 
--- My friends - Inuyasha, a inu-hanyou; Miroku, an houshi; Sango, a taijya; Shippou, a kitsune youkai; and Kirara, a bi-neko youkai - and I were fighting a bastard of a hanyou called Naraku for possession of the Shikon-no-tama. He was putting up quite a fight. We were reaching our limit. I fired an arrow to save Inuyasha, but when I did, I was distracted, and I didn't see one of Naraku's tentacles right behind me. It hit me through the chest and I wasn't able to get off. Inuyasha and the others couldn't attack for fear of hitting me, but Naraku could attack without risk. So, basically, Naraku was going to kill my friends and I couldn't do anything about it. Except one thing. I took what miko energy I had left and formed it into an attack to bring him down. But it wasn't enough, so I had to add my life energy to it. The last thing I remember is taking a small amount of energy and forming a shield around my friends to protect them from the blast. Then I woke up here. ---
 
 
“I've heard of Naraku. Everyone who tries to resist or stand up to him is destroyed, except for this one rag-tag group of demon-slayers. You're telling me you're part of that group? And that you fought Naraku?” Mai said. “And beat him?”
 
 
“Yes,” answered Kagome simply. “We've been tracking him and the Shikon-no-kakera down for over 3 years now. It feels good to finally be rid of him. I really need to get back home; I don't even know if my barrier worked or not. If it did, my friends are probably worried sick.” Kagome tried to get back up suddenly, only to be stopped by the pain in her chest and by Mai.
 
 
“You're not going anywhere for about the next 10 days. You just got stabbed straight through the chest, depleted your miko energy, and nearly exhausted your life energy all in a matter of minutes. No matter how powerful he or she is, no human could recover in less time. I'm surprised you even survived the experience itself! After those ten days, as long as you are able to ride a horse without much pain, I will take you to Tano.”
 
 
“Thank you, Mai,” said Kagome, bringing up a hand to try unsuccessfully to stifle a huge yawn. “Go back to sleep, Kagome,” Mai said, smiling. “I will wake you in a few hours so you can eat something.” Kagome settled back down, nodded, and was fast asleep nearly as soon as her head hit the pillow.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
The next ten days passed quickly, but not quite fast enough for Kagome's taste. She was anxious to return to the village and see how the others had fared. During that time, however, she became good friends with Mai and Kaji, who reminded her a lot of herself and Shippou. She also met a few of the others in the village, such as Yukito and Ritsuko, a young married couple whom she learned had helped to care for her while she was unconscious that first day.
 
 
Nevertheless, she was still extremely happy when on the evening of the ninth day Mai told her they'd be leaving out the next morning with Kaji, leaving the village in the care of Yukito and Ritsuko. Wearing one of Ritsuko's borrowed kimonos - Mai's were much too short for her - Kagome mounted a beautiful, strong stallion, while Mai and Kaji rode on a chestnut mare. Kagome noticed how pale her horse's coat was: such a light silvery-gray that it was almost white. Hmm, she thought, that's almost the same color as Inuyasha's hair. I hope he's okay....
 
 
The trip back was rather uneventful; the few demons stupid enough to try to attack them taken down with a sacred arrow or two from either Mai or Kagome, who had borrowed a set from one of the men in the village. Kagome's heart soared as, on the afternoon of the third day, they came to the edge of Inuyasha's Forest. “Come on! We're almost there!” she shouted, urging her horse faster; Mai did the same behind her.
 
Coming to the outskirts of town, Kagome reigned in her horse, with Mai following suit. Dismounting, she turned to the other miko. “Mai, if you ask around for a man named Eriol, he can help you find a place to stay the night before you head back to Akiko. I would help you myself, but I need to check on my friends.”
 
 
“Understandable, Kagome. Thank you. Now, go see to your friends.”
 
 
“Right.” Kagome turned to go further into the village, but Mai's voice stopped her. “Oh, and one more thing - when you see Inuyasha, be sure to tell him how you feel, okay?” Kagome blushed and nodded; then headed straight for Kaede's hut.
 
 
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
 
 
Kagome stopped at the bamboo curtain entrance, uncertain as to what she would be facing when she stepped inside.
 
 
“Sango!! Lemme go!!”
 
 
Shippou's voice rang out from the hut, startling Kagome. She froze, waiting to hear what he was hollering about before entering. “Sango! Why don't you believe me? Come on, I'm the one with a demon nose, here! I know I smell her! Just let me go and I'll go get her and bring her back!!!” Kagome stood there, bewildered. Who was he yelling about? Her answer came in Sango's reply. “Shippou, I believe you, but you've smelt her before these past two weeks and it hasn't turned out to actually be her!”
 
 
“Sango! This time her scent's much stronger than the other times, it's gotta be her! It's just gotta be!!!” Hearing the desperate plea in Shippou's voice was too much for Kagome and she stepped inside. The hut had only three occupants at the time: Sango, Shippou, and Kirara; the only one to notice Kagome at first was Kirara, who let out a very happy “mew” and jumped on her shoulder to nuzzle her check.
 
 
Shippou and Sango froze. They looked up to see Kagome standing there with an obviously happy Kirara on her shoulder. “Kagome!” cried Shippou, who launched himself at her. She caught him in her arms easily and held him tight. “See, Sango! I told you it was her! I told you!” he cried, still sobbing happily in Kagome's arms. Kagome looked up at Sango and smiled. “Heh, it's me.” Sango was in shock. “How? There's no way. Just no way this could be real.”
 
 
“Sango, it's me, I swear,” said Kagome, a smile still on her face. “You want proof? How about this - the night before we fought Naraku you and I were at the hot-springs and you told me that you actually liked a certain lecherous hou-” That was all it took, for the next thing to happen was a loud squeal from Sango and she tackled, er, hugged, Kagome - hard.
 
 
-1234567890-234567890-
 
 
Sango's scream caught the attention of Miroku and Kaede, who had been attending to a family nearby. They ran into the hut. “Sango,” called Miroku, “What's wrong?” Sango, practically jumping up and down with excitement, met him at the door.
“Oh, Miroku! Nothing's wrong! Something's finally right!!!”
 
 
“Sango, what are you talking about?” Her behavior was explained to Miroku and Kaede when she moved out of the way and revealed the person still holding Shippou and Kirara.
 
 
Kagome?!” was their simultaneous cry, both of shock and of joy. The fact that Sango, Shippou, and Kirara all believed it was Kagome and that neither Miroku nor Kaede could sense anything evil about her aura was all they needed to believe it for themselves. Kagome nearly disappeared beneath the flurry of hugs from Miroku and Kaede, as well as renewed hugs from the others.
 
 
“Hahaha, guys, that's enough! I need to breathe, ya know!” cried Kagome, still laughing and crying right along with everyone else. The others backed off a bit, allowing Kagome a better look around the modest hut. Sango, Shippou, Miroku, Kirara, Kaede, wait, she thought, where's Inuyasha? “Uh, guys, not that I'm not happy to see you or anything, but where's Inuyasha? He should have caught my scent by now.”
 
 
This question brought on a sea of answers from Miroku, Sango, and Shippou; only one problem though: they were all talking at the same time.
 
 
“You have to understand -”
“He-we thought you were -”
“Took him two weeks -”
“The well -”
“Hasn't been the same -”
 
 
“Whoa, whoa, hold on a sec!” said Kagome, raising her voice slightly to be heard over their voices and lowering it again once they stopped. “Now, one at a time, tell me what happened and where is Inuyasha?” Miroku and Shippou both looked at Sango with expressions that clearly said, “You tell her, I don't wanna.” Sango took a deep breath, and then told Kagome what had happened while she was gone.
 
 
“After the dust cleared right after the blast that destroyed Naraku, we saw that the battlefield had been leveled - all except for the area protected by your shield and the jewel was just lying on the ground where Naraku had been. The past two weeks have been spent healing our injuries from the battle. Inuyasha just hasn't been the same since then, Kagome; just moping about, not doing much of anything. I mean, he hasn't picked a fight with Shippou once in two weeks!” she said, with an incredulous look on her face, even though she had seen it for herself. Then she remembered something else. “Oh…my…gosh, youhavetogostophim!!”
 
 
Kagome was a bit startled at Sango's exclamation. “Stop him from what?” Miroku picked up the story from there. “You must remember, as far as we knew, you had been killed along with Naraku. He left a few minutes before you arrived to travel through the well in order to deliver news of your fate to your family. It took him these two weeks to gather enough courage to do that, so if you hurry, you still might be able to catch him.”
 
 
Kagome's eyes had slowly widened throughout Miroku's explanation and she passed Shippou and Kirara to Sango. Stepping to the door, she called back, “I'll be back soon, with Inuyasha!” and walked out of the hut, running nearly the entire way to the Bone-Eater's Well.
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Kagome finally stopped at the edge of the clearing that housed the well, leaning against a tree for support. She had gained plenty of endurance over the last few years while traveling in the Feudal Era, but her wounds hadn't healed completely yet and that combined with having been more or less bedridden for most of the last two weeks had depleted her stamina.
 
 
She looked up towards the well to see Inuyasha standing over it, hands on the edge. He was muttering to himself and, seeing as how she was downwind of him, she could hear every word he said while he didn't immediately notice her presence.
 
 
“Why?! That's all I want to know. Dammit, Kagome!!! Why did you have to go and martyr yourself like that? Did you ever stop to think about what we would be like without you? Miroku hasn't groped anyone - even Sango! - in weeks! He's been too busy comforting her - Sango's been trying to keep up a brave face for Shippou, but I've heard her at night; she cries her eyes out in Miroku's arms.
 
 
“Shippou? He's…not himself. Hasn't pulled any pranks or called me idiot or stupid or anything. Just sits there, not doing much of anything. Kirara isn't much better, except that she tries to cheer up Sango, and it works - to a point. Kaede was hit hard by the news, too. She seems to be moving slower lately, still going about her duties, but without as much enjoyment as she used to.
 
 
“And me…. Did you ever think about me? I admit, I didn't give you much reason to, but still…. I couldn't hear what you said, but I could read your lips, just before the explosion.”
 
 
Kagome gasped at this. He knows what I said? I was kind of hoping he wouldn't have noticed, considering what his decision must be about the jewel and the future.... Despite what she thought about that, she continued listen as she stepped away from the tree and walked towards him.
 
 
“Kagome…. I wish you were here or at least that the jewel hadn't been purified so I could wish you back. I'd do it in a heartbeat, you know that?”
 
 
Kagome froze. What? He'd really do that? No, he loves her, he can't possibly care for me as more than a companion…eh, can he? She regained her composure and crossed the last few feet between them in a couple of steps. “Inuyasha.”
 
 
“Keh, great, now see what you've done to me? I'm hearing things!” Slightly annoyed that he didn't even turn around at her call, she placed her hand on his shoulder and said, a bit more forcefully, “Inuyasha.” His head snapped up, and he whipped around to face her. “K-Kagome?”
 
 
“It's me, Inuyasha.” He backed up until his calves hit the well, shaking his head the entire way, sending his silver hair flying. “No, you can't be - she's gone!” Kagome took a step toward him. “Inuyasha, it is me! Miroku and the others believe me, what do I have to do to have you do the same?”
 
 
Then she got an idea and smiled. “Inuyasha, stay right there, `kay?” she said. Taking about five steps backwards to get out of the danger zone, she said “Sit boy!” He didn't have any time to react as the rosary's spell took hold and pulled him down into his characteristic face-plant. Kagome just stood back, waiting for his reaction.
 
It came sooner than she expected; later it would occur to her that perhaps this meant that he was becoming used to the affects of the rosary, but at the moment, that was the furthest thing from her mind….
 
 
 
-1234567890-1234567890-
 
 
Well, there you go….
 
 
Ok, this fic turned out to be longer than I thought it would…it's gonna be 5 chaps now, not 3, like I originally thought. I still have to write the last chap, but the 3rd and 4th are done - just gotta format the A/Ns for mm.org.
 
 
Lemme know what you think!
 
 
YoukaiLuvr
 
 
P.S. And about my OCs - the only names that are my own creation (to my knowledge) are the villages, Tano and Akiko. Though, technically, I guess since in the future, the place where Kaede's village is becomes Tokyo, it should be named Edo…oh well. I'll change it in a future fic, if I need to. Anyway, the otheresare from 3 other anime - can you guess which ones?