InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Are Not Alone ❯ Who Are You? ( Chapter 5 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter V ~ Who Are You?

Sorry for the late update (I think it's late, since I like to update a chapter each day). I was gonna upload this earlier, but a glitch came up and erased the whole file. I had to start all over again. So please enjoy what I hope I remember correctly.

_________________________________

Tears continued to pour down Kagome's face in branches as they plummeted to the ground. She sobbed quietly, not bothering to declare her unhappiness to the world in one loud scream. Not going away so she couldn't humiliate herself or anyone else. Not running to find someone to comfort her and save her from drowning in sadness, no matter how far she had to go. But she wanted to. She really, desperately wanted to. But she held it back, for like always, she thought no one would hear her.

But boy, could she have been more wrong at that moment?

"Hey. You okay?" asked someone.

Kagome lifted her tear-soaked chin to find herself gazing into the twin polished amber orbs of a boy. His face was very close to her's, the tips of their noses almost touching. His almost careless eyes locked with her sorrowful ones for a few moments. Kagome was the first to speak. "W-Who are you?" she asked quietly, hiccupping.

"Someone who has to see someone else blubbering, that's who." the boy responded impatiently. Kagome whimpered as she felt like she was being stabbed again. She lowered her chin again, quietly saying, "I'm sorry." as she lifted a finger to wipe her eyes, displaying a weak smile.

The boy continued to frown, but somewhat at himself, for not being a bit more sympathetic with her. He sighed as he saw how brave she was trying to be; wiping her tears away and trying her best not to keep crying, trying to force a smile on her face. But she continued to sniffle and hiccup.

She gasped as she felt a clawed hand grab her lifted wrist. Her eyes once again were locked with the boy's. He was still frowning at her, but a more understanding frown. "It's okay, alright? If you need to cry, then just...cry."

She looked at him confusedly, almost pleadingly.

Noticing her look, he let go of her wrist, saying, "You can cry to me if you want; if you really need to."

Kagome whimpered as her eyes overflowed with fresh tears. She nodded as she smiled weakly again. Acting without thinking, her head flung to the boy's firerat jacket. She sobbed into his chest, gripping the cloth.

The boy growled softly, soothing the wailing girl. They stayed like that for a few minutes.

"Thank you." he heard her say, quietly while choking back a sob. He responded with a silent "hmph."

After about five minutes more, recovering from crying fit, she said, "My name is Kagome."

The boy's eyes twitched for some odd reason. Slowly and carefully resting a hand on her shoulder, he responded, "Inuyasha."

_____________________________________________

Worried for her, for whatever reason he had absolutely no clue, Inuyasha decided to walk Kagome home. While Inuyasha didn't really think that much of it, Kagome was actually enjoying herself. Walking home with someone other than her brother or Sango; she thought she had finally made a friend. And at that moment, she was practically drowning in her happiness. A hearty and content smile was on her face the whole way.

Inuyasha, however, didn't really notice. His nose and eyes were stuck in his mathbook, twitching with annoyment at the fact he couldn't understand the question.

"Man! I just don't get this! I don't know if this is math or or some kinda numbery Latin! Either way, I don't understand one bit of it!!" he announced out loud, aggrivated.

Kagome obviously heard him, along with the rest of the people in the neighborhood. Trodding a little closer to him, she poked her head over his shoulder to get a good look at his mathbook and the problem he seemed to be having so much difficulty with.

Inuyasha's eyes froze in place and slowly rotated to his shoulder, where he saw Kagome looking at his book. Because of her curious face, sweet smell, and close contact with him, his cheeks flushed a tiny bit. His eyes remained stuck to her for about half a minute.

"Twenty-seven." she said. The boy blinked. "Huh?"

"Twenty-seven." she repeated. "If you subtract forty-six from eighty-one, then you would get thirty-five. Then if you find the square root of fifty thousand six hundred twenty-five, which is two hundred twenty-five and subtract one hundred ninety-eight from it, then you'd get twenty seven." she explained, smiling.

Inuyasha had absolutely no idea what she just said. But it sounded smart. Real smart. Genius, even. He looked at her skeptically. She suddenly flinched and looked down at the ground, blushing a bit.

"Oh, I-I'm sorry. It's just that math is one of my best subjects. My teacher says I've got a real knack for it." she quietly said.

Inuyasha couldn't believe it. It was just too good to be true. Then, out of the blue, he asked, "What's your GPA?"

Kagome looked at him questioningly as she answered, "I have a 4.0. Why do you ask?"

His ears drooped as he had complete disbelief and awe plastered over his face. "Are you...serious? You're a straight-A student?" She nodded her head.

He had to ask. He just had to ask her. He couldn't find anyone else or any other option left.

"Listen, Kagome...this may seem hard to believe, but...I'm not exactly real brain-wise when it comes to all these subjects. Could you...uh...erm..." he fidgeted, not really used to asking somebody for something.

"What, Inuyasha? You need a tutor?" she asked.

He froze again. 'Wow, she really is smart. She must be able to read minds or something! Wait. Is she reading mine right now...!?' He quickly raised his hands over his head, shielding his skull.

"Um...what are you doing?" Kagome wondered, lifting a finger to her lips. The boy suddenly realized his strange motions and immediately placed his hands into his jacket pockets.

"Y-Yeah...I need a tutor. Someone to help me in my subjects. Could you...uh...help me?" he kept fidgeting, still having trouble making a request, since he mostly got everything he wanted or needed in life on his own.

Kagome couldn't see a good reason to refuse. She thought it would be nice, helping someone else. And another thought came to mind. If she could help him, there could be a possibility that they could become close friends. With that, there was no force in the universe that would've made her say no. She quickly answered him, but not too excitedly.

"Sure, Inuyasha. I'll tutor you." she replied, a content smile once again stuck to her cheerful face. Inuyasha was puzzled once again. 'Wow. That was easier than I thought.' They kept walking down the quiet neighborhood in the late afternoon, not saying a word.

Inuyasha brought her up to her yard, where he raised his head as his way of saying bye. Kagome waved, her smile never wavering. After he left, she ran into her house, overloaded from her glee, telling her family of what happened to her.

_____________________________________

Inuyasha ate his dinner up in his room, and Sesshomaru came up and took his dishes downstairs. Finishing what at least he could do with his homework, he layed down on his bed, not bothering to change into his pajamas or pull up the covers. His mind wandered for a few moments until his eyes got heavy. It wasn't long until he was lost in deep dreams.

But those were no ordinary dreams. They were dreams of a certain person. A girl. A smart, sweet, and pretty girl. A smart, sweet, and pretty girl named Kagome.

Her gentle voice and bright smile continued to haunt him, as well as her warm chocolate eyes. Her long midnight hair that
shines a sapphire-like blue in the light, and ran down her back in dark tresses.

He suddenly experienced a flashback, where he comforted her while she sobbed into his chest. Though at the time, he wasn't entirely sure what he was doing, he somehow found the security of her in his arms soothing.

Inuyasha smiled a bit in his sleep as his thoughts continued to trace back to the mysterious girl.

_____________________________________________

Hey, hey! How'd you like that!? Sorry again for the late update! But hey, it was definitely worth it, right!? Yup, yup. Anyway, look forward to the next chapter!