InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Are Not Alone ❯ A Missing Wish - Part One ( Chapter 8 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter VIII ~ A Missing Wish - Part One

Hey, everybody! This one is going to be a bit longer than most of my other chapters, so please enjoy! This should be a good one! Trust me!

______________________________________

"Okay, I think that's good for today!" Kagome said as she closed her schoolbook. Inuyasha slumped back in his chair, scratching his head.

"Finally! Man, my head hurts. Who would have thought health could be so complicated..." he sighed.

Kagome stifled a giggle. "Well, I guess even learning it can be a little...unhealthy." Inuyasha chuckled. He stood up from his chair to gather his papers and books, while Kagome took a moment to check something that was around her neck. This caught Inuyasha's eye. "What are you doing, Kagome?" he asked.

"Adjusting my necklace." she answered.

"Necklace?" She nodded. She brought it out for him to see. His eyes widened at it.

It was a marble-sized and shaped jewel that was stained a gorgeous starlike purple. It twinkled as the sunlight struck it. A silver chain kept it loosely hanging around Kagome's neck. It reflected Inuyasha's awestruck golden orbs as he looked deeply into it.

"Wow...what is that?" he asked, his gaze unable to tear away at the beautiful gem.

"A necklace my Grandmother Kaede gave me when I was little. It's called 'Shikon.' She said it belonged to her grandmother's great great grandmother. Her name was Midoriko, a powerful priestess and warrior, living in the Warring States Era of Japan. She was trapped in a practically endless battle with countless demons that raged for ten days and ten nights. It was then that she sealed herself along with all of the demons within this necklace. It's said that this stone can grant any wish made by its owner. She told me to wear it every day, and I have been ever since."

"Must be valuable." Inuyasha commented.

"Oh, it is. It really is. Grandma said it's worth more than three space shuttles." Kagome responded. The boy whistled, amazed. Then his stomach growled angrily.

"Man, I'm starving..." he said to himself, lowering a hand to graze his stomach.

"Wanna come to my house for a bite? I could make some ramen." Kagome offered. That one suggestion made Inuyasha's eyes perk all the way up, an excited grin plastered on his face.

"Alright!" he cheered. Kagome giggled. They picked up their bags and walked out of the courtyard. Unbeknowst to them, a pair of eyes watched them. Two pairs, in fact.

________________________________


Kikyo brought a hand to her lips, trying to supress her awe. She had seen everything from behind a pillar in the courtyard. She could not rip her stare away from the stone until the two left. It was beautiful. It was valuable. And she wanted it. She wanted it badly. And Kikyo always got whatever she wanted in life. Even if she had to take it herself.

'I want that jewel. It's the perfect thing to match my beauty.' She decided upon that very thought as she walked away, planning on how she would obtain it. (Dang, Kikyo! Could you be more way off? A month-old sardine sandwich wouldn't even come close to your standards. Sheesh...)

______________________________


Kouga stared at the gem, though it was kind of hard to switch his gaze from Kagome. It seemed quite valuable. As well as worth much to Kagome. So much worth, he wondered how she would react if she ever lost it. He thought that if he took it, then "found" it, and returned it to her, she'd give him a lot of gratitude. Who knows? Maybe so much gratitude, he could encourage her to grant him such again. Over and over and over again.

A mischievous grin stretched across his face, bearing fangs. He planned to take that chance.

_____________________________________

T he next day, Inuyasha walked Kagome to school. He told her how great the ramen she made was, and didn't even bother to apologize to her for the fact that he kept asking for more and more, let alone thank her. But Kagome didn't seem to mind. In fact, she enjoyed it in a way. She could sort of tell he was thanking her in a way.

Miroku watched his baby sister happily as she walked with the boy whom she liked so much. Sango, standing next to him, reacted the same.

"I'm so happy for Kagome. She's finally found someone she can look to." Sango commented, smiling contently at the two. Miroku nodded.

"Me too. Mom and I have never seen Kags this happy in such a long time. It's good to see her smile so often now."

"I've never seen her this joyful either. I just hope that she can stay happy."

With that comment, Miroku's expression changed. His gaze began to drift towards the beautiful girl next to him. Her eyes rotated to him as well.

"Well, I just hope that Kags can be as happy with Inuyasha as I am with you, my dearest Sango." he said, gently raising his hand to cup her cheek, which she then covered with her own. "Miroku..." Sango's eyes shined with her love for him. Their faces then became closer until their lips embraced each other in a warm kiss. They stayed like that for a few moments, relishing in their passion. That is, until a certain gesture totally ruined the whole moment. A gesture that was known as "Miroku putting his hands where he shouldn't have..."

SMACK!!

The dude fell to the ground, almost unconcious, with a glowing red mark on his face in the shape of a hand. "You pervert!!!!" Sango stomped away, angry and embarrassed, while blowing on her hand to ease the burn from her strong slap.

(Will the dude ever learn? Well, that's high school love for ya. Well, with one exception, and that's Miroku...)

___________________________________


That afternoon, while Kagome was playing volleyball in PE, Kikyo went into the girls' locker room, snagging a key from one of the offices. She snuck to Kagome's locker, using the key to open the lock. Digging through her belongings, Kikyo's face morphed into an evil grin as the tips of her fingers detected a piece of jewelry. She pulled it out to reveal the gorgeous jewel, twinkling in the girl's eye.

Kikyo dared not wear it; Kagome could have seen it and it would have gotten Kikyo into serious trouble. So she just put it in her bag and quickly left. Stopping for a drink at the water fountain, Kikyo left her purse right behind her on a nearby table.

Walking through the hallway, the wolf demon Kouga saw the Shikon in Kikyo's bag. Taking a moment to wonder how she had obtained it, he ignored it, and snuck over without making a sound, grabbing the jewel and running off. (Pretty confusing, huh?)

____________________


At the end of the day, Inuyasha went searching for Kagome, ready to start his tutoring. He searched all around the school, but could not find her. He ran out and looked all around the courtyard, wondering where she was. He didn't think she'd gone home already. Right?

That conclusion came to Inuyasha and stayed there. He wondered why she would do that; to just skip their tutoring session without telling him. Kagome didn't seem like that. Even so, he started to walk away.

However, while leaving the school grounds and thinking about how to chew Kagome off about this, he heard silent wails from somewhere nearby and could smell tears. A particular scent was mixed with the tears. The scent of...Kagome.

Inuyasha ran towards the source of the sobs, which were becoming more audible as he got closer. Looking behind the dugout on the school baseball field, he found Kagome, holding her legs tight to her chest, crying quietly.

"Kagome!" Inuyasha leapt right beside her as he placed his hand on her shoulder. She stopped crying for a moment and slowly lifted her chin to look at her friend.

Her cheeks were a dark red, soaked from her tears. The more tears that fell, the more began to flood her eyes. Her sniffles were endless and her body was trembling. Her chocolate eyes, drowning in tears, stared into Inuyasha's with a pleading look.

"Kagome, what's wrong?" the boy asked, trying to help wipe away her tears. She slowly raised a trembling hand and placed it upon the top of her chest, right below her neck. "The Shikon...my necklace...is..gone..." she hiccuped as she spoke, breaking into a fresh line of wails.

"When I got back to the locker room after PE, someone had gotten into my locker and took the Shikon. I looked everywhere; I couldn't find it..." She sniffled. "I just can't believe it's gone...not a day has gone by since I received it that I haven't worn it...it was so precious to Grandma...and now it's gone...."

Kagome continued to cry, relishing in her guilt. She could understand how important that jewel was to her grandmother, along with the rest of her family. And she had lost it. A great treasure that held much meaning to her and her ancestors. She wanted to search the ends of the earth, anywhere she could to find the priceless jewelry. But, at that moment, all she wanted to do was cry.

He couldn't explain it, but Inuyasha couldn't stand how Kagome looked right now. He had never seen anyone so sad, let alone one who was always so cheerful and kind. To see her beautiful rosy cheeks burning with sadness and chestnut starlike eyes bathing in tears made his anger overflow his mind. He wanted to erase the one who caused such a pure and gentle person such sorrow from the board of existence. He thought--no, he knew that a person like Kagome should never deserve to feel this way. She was too different, he thought, too unlike all of the horrible and cruel people in the world. No, that wasn't Kagome. She was a person who always had a smile that could warm anyone's heart. A person who couldn't feel any more sure of anything that they'd face than the morning dawn welcoming the new day. She had a smile and a warmth for everyone that she wanted to share. To think that someone would want to taint that warmth; to harden it into a steel substance of depression; nothing could make him any more angry.

Once again not realizing what he was doing, Inuyasha snaked his arms slowly around Kagome as he pulled her to him, resting his chin on the top of her head. His hand lightly stroked her shoulder while the other held her in his grasp. He steadied his breathing, humming, trying to soothe her. For some odd reason, he found the security of her so close to him calming.

Kagome wondered why Inuyasha did such a thing. She thought he would try to put on that tough-guy act like he did when they first met. However, she liked this better, having him hold her so closely, enjoying the pleasant warmth of his body against hers. Being so close to him; it gave her a sense of security, making her feel safe. Another tear slid down her cheek, but not one borne of sorrow. She became a bit happy at that moment, smiling a tad, her pain becoming slightly easier to bear. She had found someone to confide in; to comfort her. And she wouldn't trade that for anything else in the world.

They both stayed like that for a while, enjoying each other's company, even as Kagome's endless wails ceased. They found their position quite calming; neither wanted to leave the other. At least not so soon. The tutoring session was easily forgotten as they both took some time away from studying school subjects and more on the person they were becoming so strangely close to. It was a complete alien feeling that both of them were experiencing: first love.



________________________________________

Awww! Isn't that just the sweetest thing! Don't worry, Kagome! You'll see your necklace again! And from an unexpected source too! Thanks everyone, and please look forward to the next chapter!