InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ You Are Not Alone ❯ You're Not Alone ( Chapter 30 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]
Chapter XXIX - You're Not Alone

Here's the long-awaited closing chapter of YANA. Enjoy! There's also a song that goes with this chapter, called You're Not Alone by Saosin. I've basically based this entire story on this song.

- - - - - - - - - -

For the rest of the week, Kagome constantly ignored Inuyasha. Kouga thought this meant she was bouncing back for him, but was sadly mistaken when she ignored him as usual. Inuyasha just didn't understand. He thought that Kagome would be more happy for him; this was something he had been looking forward to for so long. But then again, he really didn't get much about girls. But Kagome was special, and he desperately wished to tell her that everything was going to be okay; that he would not be gone forever. But considering she was avoiding him at every turn, Inuyasha would not get the chance.

Miroku and Sango quickly took notice of Kagome's abnormal behavior. Miroku attempted to talk to her, but she just shut herself up in her room or refused to speak to him on the matter. He then asked Sango to have a few words with her, considering that it was probably a woman thing, but she got the same cold shoulder. While Miroku felt worthless in helping his cute baby sister, he figured that it must be something that only she can figure out on her own.

- - - - - - - - - -

It was the day of Inuyasha's departure. A charter bus (not sure if they have these in Japan) would come and stop at the bus station, which would be full of male teenage soccer players. Even though he knew he should be excited, Inuyasha's stomach clenched at the fact that Kagome wasn't there to say goodbye. How bad did he screw up this time, he wondered.

Just then, at the stop, a car pulled up near the entrance. Stepping out of it came Miroku, Sango, then Kagome. Inuyasha immediately stood at the sight of her head emerging from the car. She was smiling sheepishly, but with a touch of regret in her eyes. Miroku held his hand out to her as they walked up to him.

"We just came to say bye," Miroku said.

"And that we hope you be well." Sango finished.

Kagome was quiet for a minute as she stared at him. So many emotions flashed in her eyes it was difficult to tell exactly what she was feeling. But one unknown thing had shown within them that Inuyasha had seen so many times and yet never really noticed.

She stepped up to him a bit, and Inuyasha's back straightened. What was he gonna get this time? A hug? A slap? A kiss? A kick in the crotch?

She only smiled and held out her hand, urging him to shake it.

"Have fun." was all she said, nothing more. Feeling a little sad, Inuyasha returned the handshake. Just then, a horn honked in the distance as a large city charter bus came and stopped at the curb. Talking and laughing and belching was heard from the boys inside.

"Well, this is my ride," Inuyasha said as he picked up his sports bag. He slowly walked up to the bus and trodded up the steps. Looking back, he wanted to catch one last glimpse of Kagome before he left.

Just then, tears suddenly collapsed down Kagome's cheeks as she waved, still smiling. Then, she said something to him inaudibly. Three words to be exact.

Inuyasha looked at her with confusion until the old bus driver urged him to hurry up and sit down. Doing so, the door closed, and the bus was gone in a matter of seconds.

- - - - - - - - - -

Inuyasha numbly watched the scenery pass by the bus window, undisturbed by the loud teenagers surrounding him. He sighed deeply, his thoughts continuing to center back to Kagome. What was that she had tried to say to him back at the station?

That's just like him
To wander off in the evergreen park
Slowly searching
For any sign of the ones he used to love
He says he's got nothing left to live for
And this time I think you'll know

He could not believe how long it had taken him to realize his feelings for Kagome. Why oh why did he choose to shut out her kindness, even though it had somehow wormed its way into his heart? No one had ever had such a strong effect on him, not his mother, not Kikyo, nobody. How was Kagome different? Sure, she was nice, and smart, and creative, and funny, and beautiful, and passionate....but why was she different though?

You're not alone
There is more to this, I know
You can make it out
You will live to tell

Inuyasha inwardly punched himself (again.) He couldn't believe all the stupid questions he was asking himself. They all had the same obvious answer; he is in love with Kagome. And it was at that moment he realized how much bigger of an idiot he was for leaving her alone again. Yes, the soccer program was important to him, but...

She's just like him
Spoiled, rotten, confused by the lies she's been fed
And she's searching for no one
Her eyes turn to green and she seems to be happy that she is her
And this time I think you'll know

He suddenly realized what it was that she had said to him now that he had thought about it.

"I love you."

Inuyasha suddenly picked up his bag, ran to the front of the bus through the crowd of boys, and yelled at the bus driver to stop and let him off.

You're not alone
There is more to this, I know
You can make it out
You will live to tell
You're not alone
There is more to this, I know
You can make it out...

After getting off, he ran. He ran and ran and ran, all the way back to their neighborhood, not stopping once. It was all clear now. He understood everything. Right now, and maybe forever more, the most important thing to him would not be sports, friends, even ramen. No, it would be her. It would always be her. Kagome; the best thing that had ever happened to him. She was life and breath and happiness. Kagome, the one who saved his damaged heart and helped to repair it. He could not bear to stay away from her, not even for a second, let alone three damn months.

He loved her.

He loved her.

He loved her.

That one thought kept in his head as he ran nonstop until he reached the neighborhood park. There, sitting on the swing, was his angel. She wasn't crying, but you could tell she was inside by the look in her sad, beautiful brown eyes. The sunset cast a crimson-orange light upon her and her surroundings, and bathing her in twilight.

Inuyasha knelt down and took many deep relieving breaths from his run that spanned over 10 miles. Lifting his head, he was met with the startled eyes of Kagome looking back at him.

"Inuyasha, what are you doing here?" she asked, trying to contain her joy. He had come back!

"Yeah, what am I doing back here," he said with sarcasm, and still trying to catch his breath. "Why do you think I'm here?"

She was quiet. And surprised. And confused. And happy. "But I thought you were going to Shijiyama?"

He became silent. Then his expression became so serious Kagome almost felt scared. But there was something behind it that she dared hope to believe was there. Was it...? Was it...? Kagome kept wondering as she felt the tears pile up in her eyes again. Her hands started shaking as her arms came to wrap around her belly, detecting a strong feeling stir within her. She suddenly choked back a sob. Kagome covered her eyes with the back of her wrist as she started to cry quietly.

Then, she felt strong, gentle arms wrap around her, one arm holding her back and the other stroking the back of her head.

We're not alone
There is more to this, I know
You can make it out
You will live to tell

"Hey, now, don't do that," he murmurmed affectionately. "A guy doesn't like to see his girlfriend crying."

You're not alone
There is more to this I know
You can make it out
You will live to tell

Kagome practically felt her heart stop. Did he just say what she thought he said or is she just fantasizing again?

"Inuyasha...what did you just say?" she asked quietly. She felt his arm withdraw from her head to lift her head up to meet his gaze. She saw unguarded emotions within his eyes.

"I love you, Kagome. And, if you feel the same, I'd like it if we could, you know, take a new step forward."

Kagome's eyes widened to a size that she feared she'd strain. He had said it! He loves her! Oh how she had longed to hear those wonderful words from his lips! She was about to ask him to say them again, but she had something to say to him, which was now much easier now that he had confessed.

"I love you too, Inuyasha," she said as she took his hand in hers and rubbed it against her cheek affectionately. "I have for so long. I'm sorry that I didn't tell you sooner, but it would just have been too embarrassing, and I'm not really the most confident person in the world. In fact, I can get so--"

Her babbling was cut off as he placed his finger against her lips. He smirked at her. "You talk too much."

With that, Inuyasha slowly leaned forward and gently kissed her lips with his own. His arm wound slightly tighter around her waist as the hand she held grabbed her's and held onto it firmly.

Kagome couldn't believe any of this was happening. If it was yet another one of her many fantasies, then she prayed to every God she knew that she would not wake up. She brought her arms to wrap around his neck as she eagerly kissed him back. Her heart was pounding as her body was pressed against his strong chest. Not at all in her once lonely life had Kagome ever felt this happy. She knew then and there that now she would not need anything else. As long as she had his love, she would be at peace for so long to come. Daybreak had finally come in the world that once was her dark and lonely life, and its name was Inuyasha. So many emotions welled within them both as they held and kissed each other, even after the setting sun had finally sank beneath the mountains. As far as they both knew, life at that moment was at its most beautiful.

You're not alone...
You're not, you're not alone...

____________________

FINALLY! About time, huh? Sorry, this chapter kinda sucked, especially the end, but I finished this at almost midnight. Hope you enjoyed it.