InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Zero-G ❯ Carrying Over ( Chapter 18 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Authors Notes: Sorry for the delay! Extra long chapter to make up for it.
 
Zero-G
Chapter 17
Carrying Over
 
 
Kagome's eyes felt dry and sore, and her lack of sleep had brought on a headache. When she went to the bathroom to refresh Inuyasha's bowl of cold water, she caught herself in the mirror and grimaced. A girl with rough edges and panda eyes stared back at her morosely from the reflection. Perhaps her hair needed a good combing, and a perhaps a good night's sleep would take care of those dark smudges beneath her eyes, but she couldn't allow herself any slack.
Everything had been turned on its head again, much to her dismay. She'd thought the situation was quite clearly black and white - that Inuyasha was bad, and the police would help her. But the moment Kagome had seen Inuyasha lying on the bed, a pang of concern race through her heart. The lines of black and white had blurred again.
Only when a dead man had walked out of the bathroom had she begun to understand the enormity of the situation. As soon as she'd heard his name - Miroku Hoshi - Kagome knew that she'd walked into something that was entirely beyond her depth. Everything she'd already concluded had to be thrown out the window as he'd explained the situation. It had been difficult to listen to… but she didn't have much choice in the matter.
“I didn't actually know Inuyasha until he came to kill me,” Miroku had told her in a pleasant, conversational tone as if he were discussing the weather. “To be honest, I wasn't entirely happy at the time. I was dissatisfied with my job, and having two wives is highly overrated - they both want your money, and they both want to spend New Years with you… but anyway…
“Admittedly, I was a little concerned when Inuyasha arrived and told me he wanted to give my father a message. I thought he was a Coalescence assassin who'd been sent to kill me. I mean, he was a Coalescence assassin who'd been sent to kill me, but fortunately, it wasn't quite that simple. Inuyasha's a mole for the police, gathering any and all information he can on the Coalescence and giving it to us. He's probably the only one we have, because, as you might imagine, it's much harder to get recruited into the Coalescence than it is to get recruited into the police. Our organisation is riddled with spies, which makes Inuyasha so vital to us.
“Part of Inuyasha's job within the Coalescence is to assassinate potential enemies such as the Ambassador of Spain and key figures within the police force, but naturally, we don't want him to do that. As long as he's not the only Coalescence agent aware of a potential target, he can leak the information to the police without being sussed by his bosses. Plans get miraculously changed at the last minute, and people get saved. But sometimes it gets tricky when he's sent on solo missions, or when he's contracted independently by people like Kikyo. It's critical that he maintains his cover with the Coalescence, so for all appearances, the people he's sent to kill must disappear. Including me and you.
“We're the lucky ones, Kagome dear. If the police think you're worth saving, they'll fling you into witness protection faster than you can sneeze. I was saved solely because my father's in the force. It was surprisingly easy. We just mocked up some pictures of me hanging myself, which was quite fun, and then wrote a heartbreaking little suicide note. The world and my wives would think I topped myself, while the Coalescence would assume that Inuyasha had done his job. I went into hiding with a new identity and have been helping my father ever since.
“Others… aren't so lucky. Inuyasha has killed civilians in the name of the Coalescence, people who the government doesn't feel are important enough to warrant saving. Don't hold it against him though. He hardly has a choice in the matter…
“I'm not entirely sure of the circumstances in which he saved your life, Kagome, as that was a little before I met him. All I know is that the police wouldn't offer you protection, so it was incredibly risky of him to save you when you had no where to go and no one to turn to. And as you can see, the repercussions of that act have finally caught up with us.
“As for the lovely Sango here, she's only alive and well thanks to Inuyasha too. She was captured by the Coalescence a short while ago. Inuyasha managed to spring her free - a very risky feat, but one we're eternally grateful for. Obviously Sango qualifies for protection too, seeing as how she's the Chief's daughter. She can't publicly rejoin the force because the Coalescence is probably quite scared of this little lady. She knows too much - such as where the Coalescence headquarters are located - information that they don't want falling into police hands. They have spies in the force. Too many. If Sango set foot in a station, she'd probably be shot on sight. The Coalescence will be so desperate to keep her quiet that they'd even risk revealing their spies to get rid of her. For now, it's best that she lies low with me and just pass information directly to her father on the sly. And why not? We both thoroughly enjoy each other's company!
“Sango dear, please don't sigh so loudly. Kagome can't hear me.
“Anyway, that's all I know. If you have any other questions, I'm afraid you'll have to address them to Inuyasha himself… when he comes round a bit more.
“But as you can see, Inuyasha is not who you think he is. He's one of the good guys.”
Then why couldn't he just tell me?
Kagome continued watching over the restless hanyou. There wasn't much she could do to alleviate his discomfort, other than keep the cloth on his forehead cool by dipping it every now and then into the basin of water on her lap. He wasn't healing as quickly as he'd done in the past. She didn't know why. Perhaps he had an infection? There had still been a lot of dirt and grime in his wounds before she'd taken over from Miroku. In this kind of situation, she would have been on the phone to the hospital, demanding an ambulance, but that kind of assistance was out of the question. Hospitals didn't take in demons. It was as simple as that.
Miroku and Sango had shuffled off to the café across the road to get a bite to eat and discuss options. They'd offered to bring something back for Kagome, but she'd refused. Food was the last thing on her mind.
………………………&# 8230;…………………..
The room was quiet when Inuyasha awoke. Quiet and incredibly hot, even though he could feel goose bumps tingling across his flesh. He didn't want to keep still, but he had no energy to move. The colours of the ceiling above him seemed to swirl together. Nothing stayed in place. The only thing that made sense was the steady, unmoving presence that sat beside him.
He tried focusing his eyes on her, but she was only a figure of indistinct shapes and colours, facing towards the window as if lost in thought.
Inuyasha reached for the shape that most resembled her hand and clasped his fingers round hers. She jerked in surprise, and he had to tighten his grip to keep her from pulling away. The effort almost drained his strength completely. “I'm sorry,” he said weakly.
She stared at him.
“I know how much you probably hate me.” He closed his eyes and loosened his hold on her wrist. “You didn't give me a chance to explain…”
“Shh.” Her finger touched his lips briefly before brushing against his cheek in a tender manner. “Don't worry about it now. Just rest.”
“But you need to know - I need to explain-”
“There's no need,” she responded simply. “I know. Just concentrate on getting better.”
He paused, confused. “Kikyo, I tried to kill her - I swear I did! But I couldn't finish it.” The girl pulled her hand away, withdrawing from him both physically and emotionally, but he ploughed on. “She was just a kid… I thought I could convince her to go abroad and never bother us again, but I couldn't. I didn't do this intentionally to cause trouble.”
She'd gone back to staring at the window. Inuyasha had the distinct impression that he was being ignored.
“She's not like us…” he whispered, grimacing at the ceiling as a surge of pain arched up his spine. “The world needs her more than it needs us.”
Her hand found his again, and a cold cloth was pressed against his forehead. “You have a fever,” he heard her say, but she sounded like she was in another room. “Try not to exert yourself. Just go back to sleep and everything will be clearer when you wake up.”
“I'm sorry,” he gasped again.
The hand slipped away from him. “It's not me you need to apologise to.”
………………………&# 8230;…….
“Well?”
Naraku was almost certain he knew the answer to his prompt when the best part of three Coalescence cells stood before his desk, looking as bedraggled as a litter of kittens who had nearly been drowned in a cloth sack. Some of them were swaying, strangely distant and half-asleep, while most of their clothes were in tatters - Kouga's in particular.
“Well…” Kouga began slowly, pressing his index fingers together and looking at the ceiling. “We had him cornered, right?”
Naraku groaned internally and slipped down his chair an inch. “Right…”
“And this was in the subway, you see.” Kouga scratched his nose thoughtfully. “He took off running down the tunnels and we followed him. But then this train came, and he got into a maintenance tunnel above us and I got mowed down. The two chicken shits behind me just ran for it.”
Bankotsu and Jakotsu had the decency to look vaguely ashamed. Or perhaps they were just pretending Kouga wasn't pointing at them?
“We caught up to him in the corridor and tried to finish him off.” Kouga snapped his fingers. “And we were so close! But the police found us and we had to leave, Boss.”
Naraku slipped another inch. “The police, huh?”
“I stuck a knife in his gut, but I'm not sure if that did the job.” Kouga said, shrugging uncertainly. “We cheesed it before the police got to him.”
“I see,” Naraku commented evenly. “Any reason to believe he's alive now?”
“That's a grey area right now,” Kouga explained. “Our sources within the police haven't had reports of anyone matching Inuyasha's description being brought in. It's possible that the police who found him just left him to die, or maybe even finished him off themselves.”
“That's a possibility.” Naraku agreed.
“So…” Kouga shifted uncertainly in front of the other agents. “What do we do now?”
Naraku was silent for a long time as he contemplated their options. He would, of course, have to inform his boss and await his orders, but he could take a fair guess at what they would be. “For now we'll assume Inuyasha is alive,” he began slowly, after great length, “and quietly keep searching for him. I want every man in this institution aware that he has gone rogue and that if he is ever sighted, he is to be brought in. Backup may be necessary, however. I want the girl as well. She probably knows too much. It's best if we dispose of her as quickly as possible.”
“And Kikyo?” Kouga cocked his head.
Naraku gave an inward hiss. “Kikyo?” He mirrored Kouga's tilt of the head.
“She's really pissy about this Inuyasha business,” the wolf responded. “What do we tell her if she starts asking questions?”
Naraku tented his fingers. “Nothing. As of this moment, the Coalescence is cutting ties with Kikyo Higurashi. She's a dangerous woman and a threat to our security. If she starts asking questions, you do not tell her anything. Understand?”
A wave of nods washed over the crowd of agents.
“Good.” Naraku sat back, satisfied. “Now go. I have business to attend to.”
As the band of agents collectively filed and wobbled out of his office, Naraku turned away to observe his sea monkeys with an imperceptible sigh.
The situation was getting out of hand again, he realised. He'd have to talk to his boss.
………………………&# 8230;…………….
Kagome didn't think she'd ever been so tired in all her life. And chloroforming aside (which was surprisingly exhausting), being shoved, pushed and threatened all day had made her weary and weak. Her eyes were beginning to burn. She was had resorted to dipping her fingers in the basin of cold water to rub the coolness against her eyes in an attempt to stay awake and refreshed.
Inuyasha's fever refused to relinquish its hold over him. He still tossed and turned in his sleep, though sometimes his eyes were open and staring unseeingly around him. Occasionally he spoke someone's name, usually hers, mostly Kikyo's, and a few others she didn't know personally. Kouga popped up a few times, as well as a few tasteless comments regarding his mother. All Kagome knew about him was that Kikyo had supposedly called on him to kill her when they'd been in her office. The thought sent a shiver up her spine.
“What am I doing here…?” she whispered to herself, looking over Inuyasha's restless form with heavy-lidded eyes.
Inuyasha would have killed her today if Kikyo hadn't been so stingy about the number of bullets she kept in her gun. She could have been laying on the plush white carpet of Kikyo's office with blood leaking out of a hole in her head at that very moment if things had taken a slightly different path, and Inuyasha would have been the one responsible.
Did the fact that he was working for the police make his actions any more justified? Possibly, if it was `for the greater good' as so many people put it. Kill one to save many. In the grand scale of things, it was better for everyone.
However, when Kagome was that `one', she really resented it. Why me? she asked herself, bewildered. These things always happen to other people… not me. Why couldn't she have been one of the many?
How many other innocent people had he killed because they weren't deemed important enough to live? How close had she come to being just another unimportant body?
Which brought to mind a very important question. “Why did you let me live?”
But Inuyasha was in no fit state to answer. His only response was to roll his head across the pillow and mutter incomprehensibly. He couldn't tell her why he'd done it, or why he'd been so ready to amend that mistake in Kikyo's office. He probably couldn't even hear her.
Kagome tried anyway. “I remember,” she said, her voice cracking with exhaustion. “That night you came after me with that horrible rock. I was so scared. How do you forgive something like that?”
She ran a hand over her face, settling it over her mouth to keep anything else from spilling out.
I can't forgive you, she thought. Whatever justifications were given, whatever reasons, Kagome couldn't accept it. You've taken everything from me.
The motel door opened on the other side of the bed. Kagome looked up to see a very grim-faced Sango enter, followed by a more amiable Miroku. She regarded them both uneasily. She had yet to figure out if they were `good guys', no matter who they allied themselves with.
“We've been talking with my father,” Sango said, moving to stand by the window with her arms folded. “He's… a bit upset-”
“Screaming so loud down the phone that half the cafeteria now know he's a bit upset.” Miroku added cheerfully. “Although `pissed raving mad' would be a better description.”
“Yes, thank you,” Sango gave him a sour look. “He's not happy that we've just lost our only spy.”
Kagome gave a light shrug and looked back at Inuyasha. Perspiration shone on his face and ran down his neck and shoulders. “Maybe it's better this way?” she pointed out. “He won't have to kill people like me anymore.”
Sango and Miroku gave each other awkward looks. “Well,” Sango began slowly, “my father thinks the situation is still repairable. It's possible that we can send Inuyasha back in. As far as we know, the Coalescence isn't aware of his connection to the police. They simply believe he-”
“Wait,” Kagome frowned at her. “You can't send Inuyasha back there. They just tried to kill him. They won't take him back.”
Sango nodded, as if she were agreeing with her on some level. “We have to try,” she said simply. “He's our only chance.”
“Surely Inuyasha has a say in the matter?” Kagome demanded to know.
“Actually, he doesn't.” Miroku gave her a wan smile.
Before Kagome could ask what he meant by that, Sango rushed on. “More importantly, I've been discussing your situation with my father. He recognises that your life is in serious danger, not just from your own cousin, but from the Coalescence.”
“My cousin is dead,” Kagome said bitterly, throwing a heartfelt glare at Inuyasha.
“Actually, she isn't.” Miroku gave an even weaker smile.
Kagome blinked at him. “Pardon?”
“Police responded to a report from her office earlier today. When they arrived, she was perfectly alive.” Sango explained. “I don't know much more than that.”
“But he shot her dead,” Kagome said, jabbing a finger at Inuyasha.
“In the chest, right?” Miroku asked. When she nodded, he gave her a knowledgeable wink. “Bullet vest. I'd be surprised if a woman of Kikyo Higurashi's stature wasn't wearing one to bed, honestly. Besides, they make very nice Kevlar ones these days, don't they, Sango?”
“Mm,” the woman hummed. “I'm wearing one right now.” Kagome couldn't tell. Sango's grey cotton jacket was quite tight-fitting, and there were no telltale bumps or lumps.
“Quite the fashion accessory in some circles,” Miroku noted.
“So she's ok?” Kagome asked uncertainly.
“Yeah, sorry.” Sango wrinkled a bruised nose.
Kagome was actually relieved. “I'm glad,” she said softly. At their confused looks, she just shrugged. “She's still my cousin.”
“Ah,” Miroku nodded. “That must be a girl thing. If my cousin ever tried to kill me, I'd beat the living snot out of him and happily watch a pack of beavers tear him limb from limb.” Sango promptly stepped on his foot.
Kagome didn't care. “I would like to know,” she said, looking pointedly at Sango, “why Kikyo hasn't been brought up on charges if the police are aware of what she's done?”
Sango's expression softened slightly, and she moved to sit down on the bed. “You have to understand,” she told Kagome earnestly. “Kikyo is a very wealthy, very powerful woman. If we were to arrest her, it would only be a matter of time before she used her money and connections to get herself free. She requires time and money that we simply do not have. It's more important that resources are spent on eliminating the Coalescence rather than the few people who employ their services.”
Kagome's face hardened. “You mean I'm not important enough to have justice.”
Sango looked back at her steadily. “That's exactly what I mean.”
The girl gave a harsh laugh of disbelief. “How can you allow things like this to go on?! How could you even let someone like Kikyo bribe her way out of punishment? How corrupt are you people?”
“Very corrupt,” Miroku said bluntly. It was one of the only times he said anything without earning a reproving glare from Sango. “And we know that if you try to approach anyone - the police or your family - you will probably be killed.”
Kagome swallowed hard.
Sango placed a hand on her knee. “You are a threat to Kikyo's career and freedom. It's clear she won't hesitate to get rid of you as soon as you surface, for fear of her reputation-”
“But I have to!” Kagome burst out. “She can't get away with this-”
“It's not worth dying over, Kagome.” Sango sighed. “You're no good to anyone dead. And acting reckless now will not only endanger your life, but many others as well. Please just hear us out. My father outlined a plan for you.”
Kagome ran a hand through her hair. “What plan?”
“You may not like it, but it's the only thing we can do for you,” Sango explained.
“What?” Kagome said again.
Miroku pushed away from the wall. “I'm leaving the country tomorrow,” he said, shrugging lightly. “It's what happens to the people under witness protection if they're a liability, useless to the government, or just don't have anywhere to go. I'm classed in the second group what with my… ahem, former career and everything. Sango would be coming with me, but she's too useful. But you, Miss Higurashi, are classed in all three.”
It took a moment for his meaning to dawn, and when realisation hit, Kagome sucked in a sharp breath. “You want me to leave the country?” she asked.
“You're a liability,” Sango said softly, “to a lot of people. And it's not like you have the kind of contacts that most people in your situation would have. You don't have anywhere to go or anyone to help you. So we're sending you with Miroku.”
Kagome twitched an uncertain look towards the man who was smiling mildly at her. “Isn't there another option?”
“Well, you could go back to your family right now, tell them what's happened, and watch them go to the police. Then Kikyo can kill you all and bribe the cops into silence and then get back on with her upward spiralling career,” Miroku suggested, as if it were a reasonable option. “Or you could come with me to Paris and wait for it to blow over in relative safety. It's not a permanent deal, but I think it's preferable to hiding in the shadows for the rest of your life.”
Kagome looked hopefully between the pair, waiting for them to pose a different plan that involved her being reunited with her family and everything going back to `normal'. Something that would probably have to involve a time machine of some sort. “What about my family?” she asked. “I can't leave them.”
“You'll have to,” Sango pressed.
A moment's silence settled over them, filled only by the wheezing gasp of Inuyasha's breath. Kagome's throat had closed up. She knew that if she didn't school herself properly, she would dissolve into tears again; it was something she didn't want to do in front of a police officer and her friend of rather dubious background.
“The one thing that is killing me about all this is that my family thinks I'm dead,” Kagome said in a low, trembling tone. “I can't just leave it like that. Even if you won't let me see them… can't I at least contact them? My little brother already knows. I don't know if he's told Mama or Grandpa, but I just need to know if they're ok. If they understand.”
Sango gave Miroku a reluctant look. “It's too dangerous.”
“Her family have a right to know,” he argued.
“But if they let it out that she's still alive-”
“They won't,” Kagome interrupted. “I'm not just saying that because they're family. They're the most trustworthy people on this planet. With the exception of Souta. And Grandpa, because he's always lying. And maybe Mama too, because she sometimes goes through my room without asking just because-”
“Kagome-”
“But they're ok, really!” Kagome clasped her hands together. “They're good people. They deserve to know what kind of danger they're in, and they're not stupid enough to start talking if it means risking their lives. They have to know that Kikyo isn't trustworthy.”
Sango made a pained noise, as if she wanted to refuse and accept at the same time. “You can't see them, Kagome,” she said, wincing. “Kikyo will be waiting for you to do something like that.”
“A letter then.” Kagome wriggled her fingers. “A phone call?”
“I'll have to ask my father, but I won't make any promises,” Sango responded evasively.
Kagome sat back, not caring whether she had to get permission or not. The moment she found herself alone with a phone, she'd be on it in a flash and dialling her house number. Rather than push her luck, she changed subjects. “Why France?” she asked.
“We have an embassy there that can take care of you and Miroku. Give you money, housing, French lessons.” Sango reeled off on her fingers. “And it's a beautiful city. I've seen pictures. Compared to this place, Paris is a gaudy little heaven.”
It sounded like a place Kagome would have liked to have visited on holiday. But staying there was another matter entirely. “How long would I be there?”
“Till things calm down here,” piped Miroku.
“Till the Coalescence loses its grip on the city,” added Sango.
“Till Hell freezes over,” nodded Kagome. “Got it.”
Sango cast her another apologetic look. “I'm sorry.”
“It's not your fault.” Kagome looked at Inuyasha. “It's his. He was right. He should have killed me when he had the chance.” It would have made a lot less hassle for everyone concerned.
………………………&# 8230;………………..
A trip to France was not something to be planned overnight, yet that was exactly what Sango and Miroku were keen to do. Times had changed. It wasn't like the old days when anyone could go abroad on a whim and stay away for however long they wanted. Flights were far more controlled than that - the people boarding them even more so. It wasn't that holidays had been abolished in any sense. Anyone could get on a plane and go on holiday, as long as their destination happened to be another airport elsewhere in Japan.
Flights abroad were costly (though money was hardly a problem when the government was funding you), and every passenger had to be checked over extensively to make sure they planned to return at some point.
“What happened to the passport you had?” Miroku asked distractedly as he tapped away at the laptop on his knees. He said he was writing an email to `a friend', and although Kagome had attempted to read it over his shoulder, most of it seemed to be in code. “The one Inuyasha gave you?”
“Uh…” Kagome looked at the ceiling. “Back at the flat? How do you know about it?”
“Because my friend was the one who made it for you.”
“Huh,” Kagome huffed. “So you knew Inuyasha back then, did you?”
“Yep.”
“Do you… do you think we should go back to the flat and get it?”
“Oh nooooo,” Miroku whistled, not looking at her. “Might as well paint a target on your chest and go wander round a firing range!”
“The Coalescence will no doubt have ransacked the place by now,” Sango explained. “They'll be waiting for Inuyasha to do something stupid like go there. And they'd probably lynch anyone else who drops by too.”
They said nothing more. Miroku went on tapping, Sango continued slicing a tomato with a very sharp knife, and Inuyasha kept muttering nonsensically about a dead motorbike. Kagome dearly wanted to put her head down and go to sleep, but common sense told her not to trust her unconscious body with these people. Although said body was beginning to betray her. Already she could feel herself nodding off; her head slid to the side before she jolted back awake.
“Need a picture,” said Miroku suddenly.
“Of what?” Kagome yawned.
“You! For your new passport!” He turned to her with a grin, bringing out a phone from his pocket. He levelled the integrated camera lens at her face. “Smile!”
Kagome just blinked.
“Hang on.” Sango took her feet off the bed. “You'll have to do something about her appearance. The computers at customs might have her face on profile.”
“Ah… true.” Miroku lowered his phone thoughtfully. “But those things are ridiculously easy to fool.”
“Eh?” Kagome rubbed her eyes.
“Sango, please demonstrate.” Miroku waved a hand to the policewoman like he would to an assistant. Sango descended upon Kagome, knife bared in her hand. Before the girl could even open her mouth to scream, the woman had seized her by the hair and had dashed the knife across her nape. The tug on her scalp was gone in a second, and a cascade of glossy black hair fell around her.
What have you done?!” she shrieked, leaping to her feet. She ran to the mirror to check the damage. What she saw almost made her burst into fresh tears. Gone were the curls and waves she'd tended to so proudly for the last fifteen years. All that was left was a short, shapeless bob that ended at the chin.
“Say hello to Kyoko Sano.” Miroku chirped. She turned to him thunderously, and the sudden flash informed her that her wrath would be captured forever in whatever new passport he was having forged for her at that very moment. Kagome was just reaching for the nearest vase of silk flowers with which to bludgeon him to death, when Sango caught her shoulders.
“It's not that bad,” the officer assured her. “We'll just fluff it up a little so it doesn't look so harsh.”
Kagome didn't think it would ever look good again, but she sat back down on the edge of the bed, boneless, and let Sango use her knife to chip away at her suddenly very severe hairstyle.
“This would be easier with scissors,” Sango commented as another inch of black fell to Kagome's lap. “And possibly if I were actually a hairdresser.”
“You're getting tomato juice in my hair,” Kagome informed her.
“It needs washing anyway.” Sango sawed another section away. “At least this will be more believable. I'm telling you now, officers are very suspicious of folk who have exactly the same hair in their passport photos.”
“Because it either means the photo was taken yesterday, implying forgery,” Miroku chipped in, “or you're just one of those god-awful people who never changes their hair.”
“We'll find you a pair of specs as well,” Sango added. “Just to make sure we fool the system.”
“Like Superman.” Kagome yawned.
Sango set the knife down. “Look, it's late. Maybe you should be getting to bed. We'll sort everything out for you.”
Kagome shifted reluctantly, her soul screaming for a soft mattress to lie on while some part of her conscience made her glance at Inuyasha. “What about him?”
“We'll take care of him, don't worry,” Sango said, tugging Kagome onto her feet.
The girl didn't have the energy to argue. She ignored Miroku's farewell bid and tottered precariously out the door after Sango, touching her hair self-consciously as she went. Someone had obviously been in and cleaned the first motel room since Kagome had last woken up there, and as Sango closed the door behind them, Kagome instantly found herself gravitating towards the freshly made bed. She was asleep and snoring the moment her head touched the pillow.
When she woke up, she was in a car.
 
……………………
 
 
Light and fresh air was streaming through a window Inuyasha did not recognise when he woke up. His unfamiliar bed was uncomfortably sticky with sweat, and there was a rather battered police officer snoozing in the chair beside him, her mouth wide enough to catch flies.
He took a moment to assess his situation and figure out where he was.
A motel, obviously. But how had he gotten here?
“Oi.” He gave the woman a nudge.
She snorted awake, already reaching for the knife in her belt before she realised who he was. “Oh,” she croaked, relaxing. She rubbed her eyes. “You're better then.”
He eyed her suspiciously. “Sango, right?”
“Glad you remember your victims,” she replied dryly.
“You weren't my victim.” He plastered on a big fake smile. “So how are you doing? Haven't seen you since I sprung your backside out of a Coalescence headquarters. Last time we spoke, I was sending you to pick up Kagome. Please tell me you at least got that right.”
Sango's glare was contemptuous. “Of course. While you were busy pretending to be a punching bag for your terrorist chums, I was saving your little girlfriend.”
“She's not my girlfriend,” he groused. “She is little, though. She's safe, right?”
“Mm.” Sango nodded. “Do you remember what happened to you?”
“Bleh… sort of.” Inuyasha stretched out his arms before him and examined all the healing cuts and bruises. He touched his chest tentatively. “I got stabbed, didn't I?”
“It wasn't pretty,” she admitted. “You got an infection. You had a very bad fever which only just broke half an hour ago. That'll teach you to play roughhouse with demons.”
“I'm going to kill Kouga,” Inuyasha vowed half-heartedly, settling back against his pillows with a loud, exaggerated sigh. “And this time I won't even feel slightly guilty.” He looked at Sango again. “Where's Kagome now?”
“On her way to France.”
Inuyasha sat up so fast it was like he'd been poked with a branding iron. His whole body screamed silently in protest, but for a moment, his mind was blank. He was torn between the desire to rip off the duvet and make a run for the door, and the wish to just curl into a whimpering ball and nurture all his aches.
Sango gave him an incredulous look. “What?” she asked with a scoff. “You want to run after them? Why?”
“I wasn't,” Inuyasha responded self-consciously, lying back down. “I was just… testing my, uh, my muscles.”
“Right.”
“Them?” Inuyasha scowled at her. “What do you mean `them'? Who's with her?”
“Miroku.”
Inuyasha very nearly did leap out of bed then. If Sango hadn't pushed him back down, he would have been out the door and down the street faster than one could shriek “Porn Star!”
“He's a pervert!” Inuyasha protested, wrestling Sango with all the strength of an anaemic kitten. “Don't tell me she's alone with him? She's alone with him?! In a confined space?! He'll be groping her before the movies start - don't think I don't know what that bastard is capable of-”
“We all know what that bastard is capable of.” Sango soothed. “Kagome is a very canny young woman. If she can handle you, she can handle Miroku.”
“Are you calling me a pervert?”
“No, I'm saying you're worse than a pervert. You're an uncouth, loud-mouthed asshole with no respectabilities.”
“That's alright then.” Inuyasha stopped fighting her. “But she's ok, isn't she?” he asked anxiously. “Last time I saw her, she was in a bad way.”
“I told you. She's a smart girl. Very tough.” Sango straightened his duvet. “Her only problem was that no one was telling her what was going on. No wonder she freaked out so badly. Why weren't you just straight with her before?”
Inuyasha stared at the ceiling. “She would have hated me.”
“She hates you now anyway.” Sango sighed. “That's the problem with big, nasty secrets, Inuyasha. They tend to come out at the most inopportune moment and fuck everything up for everyone.”
“Does she really hate me?” Inuyasha winced.
“Yes.” Sango nodded cheerfully. “But she still stayed by your side throughout your fever, so she's not being irrational about it anymore. Everything's been explained to her properly now. She understands. It might have softened her towards you a little. But… whatever. Be happy for her. She's off to Paris now. I half wish I could have gone with her rather than be stuck with a misery-guts like you.”
He gave her a dirty look. “Would this trip have anything to do with witness protection?”
“Yes,” she said. “My father finally granted it to her for being such a bloody pest.”
“About time,” Inuyasha griped.
“Um…” Sango's fingers knotted together. “My father also wants you to go back in.”
He gave her a hard look. “Does he know that my own cell just tried to kill me?”
Sango nodded, avoiding his gaze. “Certainly,” she said coolly. “And he also wishes to remind you of the `or else' clause of the deal.”
“Um…” Inuyasha squinted at the ceiling. “They're bringing back the death penalty, aren't they?”
“About 95 percent chance of it being voted back in, according to polls.” Sango leant back to begin picking at the dirt beneath her nails with the tip of her knife. “So, in all likeliness, yes.”
“Great. Damned if I do, damned if I don't.” He sighed, fingering a bruise on his chin. “Not a lot of choice here.”
“You could do a runner,” Sango flicked a suggestible look his way. “Now. I could look the other way.”
Inuyasha wrinkled his nose. “Then I'd have two sets of people out for my blood. Double damned, if you like. If the Coalescence doesn't kill me, your father will.”
“Yeah. Sorry about that,” said Sango rather blithely.
Inuyasha let out a long, juddering breath. He closed his eyes slowly, and his brow pinched at some internal ache. “I'm tired,” he said.
“Then sleep,” Sango responded simply.
“She'll be ok, won't she?”
“She'll be fine. Miroku's taking care of her, remember? He's the most reliable and competent man I know,” she reassured him.
“You obviously don't know many men,” said Inuyasha, followed by a small coughing fit.
Sango's face was frosty as it turned to him. “He's a perv enslaved to his dick, but he's no fool. An idiot maybe, but he won't mess up.”
Inuyasha's coughs trailed into a husky chuckle that almost left him breathless. “Still bitter about the bigamy, eh? That was probably quite a nasty thing to learn about your friend after he gets strangled by a feather boa. I would have liked to have seen your face.”
“I'm holding a knife, Inuyasha.”
“Is it anything like your face now?”
“It's a very big knife, Inuyasha.”
“Oh, fuck off.” Inuyasha pulled a face. “I've been stabbed by bigger. Quite recently, in fact.”
Sango was gently miffed. “It's not the size that counts. It's how you use it.”
Inuyasha exploded with a sound that was either rather enthusiastic coughing or overzealous laughter. Possibly both. Sango patted his shoulder gingerly. “Alright. It wasn't that funny. You need rest.” She tugged the blanket back straight over his chest. “Go to sleep.”
Inuyasha stopped laughing. “What if the plane crashes?”
“It won't.”
“What'll happen to her in France? I mean - it's a dangerous place. All that wheat-based food produce… What if she's got a wheat-intolerance? She could be killed by a baguette.”
Sango's jaw clicked with strained patience. “I'm sure she'd already know if she had wheat allergies.”
“And you get weirdoes there too. What if she gets targeted by some Jack-the-Ripper copycat?”
“Jack the Ripper was from London… and he mostly targeted prostitutes. I think Kagome would be exempt from the list of victims,” said Sango. “Paris is much safer than Tokyo when it comes to muggers, thieves, and murderers. You should know that. You're a murderous, thieving mugger yourself.”
The hanyou's chest heaved in frustration. “I know… but I…”
“But you, what?” Sango scowled at him. “She's fine. She'll be fine. A tad bit lovesick, are we?”
“No,” Inuyasha said quickly, giving her a reproachful glower. “I have no feelings for her.”
Sango was unimpressed. “You're feeling something for her.”
“Well, I spent ages looking after her and keeping her out of trouble and taking good care of her. So sue me if I feel a little protective of my… handiwork.”
“Oh, yes, good care of her.” Sango nodded avidly. “Yeah, I even noticed all those burn marks down her legs. That's some remarkable safe-keeping you did there.”
“That was different,” Inuyasha said delicately. “That was a bomb I accidentally set off next to her… but other than that, she was perfectly safe. She's like a little sister to me. That's all.”
“Right,” said Sango, pursing her lips in a reasonable manner. “If you're into incest, that is.”
“Why, oh why, did I set you free again?”
“Because my father would have had you incarcerated and executed if you hadn't?”
Inuyasha rolled over, away from Sango. “I'm tired,” he repeated, faking a feeble cough. “Please leave me to die in peace.”
“Suit yourself,” Sango said, getting to her feet. She moved over to the window and made a point of peering out over the road. “Window's open, if you want some fresh air,” she said with a smile. “And wow, I reckon that drainpipe is strong enough to hold a hanyou. Not that he'd need it, the ground being three feet away and all…”
“Subtle,” Inuyasha commented dryly from somewhere inside his pillow.
“My middle name,” she agreed, before leaving him to make his own choice.
………………………&# 8230;……………….
“Why do I feel like I'm being kidnapped?” Kagome griped as she watched the arrows on the road zipping beneath the bonnet of the car.
“Because you're sitting in a car with a strange man - a situation you don't recall consenting to?” Miroku flashed her a winning smile. “Relax. We tried to wake you up, but you were having none of it. In the end, we had to bundle you into the car or else we'd miss the flight. As it is, we're pretty damned late.”
Kagome rubbed at the growing headache behind her temples. “Is that why you're driving like a nutter?”
“Like a what now?” He swung the wheel to veer between a rather large van and a delicate looking scooter carrying a youth with a dubiously stacked pile of boxes. Both the youth and the van driver looked equally pissed off as Miroku wriggled past them. A low groan escaped Kagome's throat as her stomach lurched along with the erratic motions of the car. “Hey!” Miroku began brightly, “You're lucky we got loaned this car. Normally we would have had to make the trip in a taxi and on the tube. You wouldn't have liked that. You're a pretty girl. You would have been groped mercilessly.”
Kagome shifted nervously towards her door, dismayed to find it was locked.
“Can you believe they just gave me a licence when I died?” he carried on, more to himself than to Kagome. “When I was alive, I kept failing tremendously, but now that I'm dead, it seems to be a god-given right that I should be allowed to drive. Very odd.”
“Watch out for that bike!”
“What bike?”
“Uh… never mind.” Kagome pressed her hands over her eyes. “It's probably five miles behind us by now.”
“You don't look very well,” Miroku commented, giving her a calculating look that he probably shouldn't have done whilst driving.
“I don't feel very well,” she agreed. “I need a shower. I need sleep. I need fresh clothes and a decent meal. And I didn't even get to say goodbye.”
“To who?” Miroku asked. “Your family?”
Strangely, her family hadn't occurred to her just yet. “No,” she said, the surprise evident in her voice. “I meant Inuyasha.”
“Oh.” Miroku was quiet for a moment. “Well, he still had a fever when we left, so I doubt it would have been worthwhile.”
“Is he going to be alright?” she asked.
Her kamikaze chauffeur gave her a reassuring smile. “If he was going to die, he would have died last night. He's on the mend, so don't fret your beautiful head.”
Normally compliments like that would have her blushing self-consciously, but today, she felt like a corpse. Compliments, smiles, and small talk hit some kind of invisible barrier she'd erected around herself and fell flat at her feet. She couldn't even summon a polite smile. She was too tired. And one look in the mirror behind the sun visor was enough to remind her of the horrendous new hairstyle she was sporting, along with the black hammocks dangling beneath each eye. Her lips were chapped, and her skin was dry. The fundamental respect for hygiene, style, and basic skin-care that she'd picked up in Yuka's salon was dying a sobbing death.
“Oh, I almost forgot.” Miroku pointed to the glove compartment. “Your new glasses are in there, Miss Kent.”
Her respectabilities died on the spot. Kagome put on the glasses and stared at her reflection, unimpressed. “I look like Buddy Holly,” she whispered. “And my pores are a mess. This mirror is very unflattering… I think it's actually zooming in on the flaws…”
“What flaws? You look dazzling!” Miroku declared.
Kagome didn't buy it for a second. “I think I'm getting wrinkles…”
“Ok, now you're just being silly.”
“I could do with some Zero-G right now.”
“Zero-G?” Miroku frowned. “Wait, you mean G-Force, right?”
Kagome gave him a stone-dead glower through her plastic lenses.
“Oh, look!” Miroku pointed up through the windscreen rather needlessly at a low-flying plane, though he was probably just trying to divert her glare elsewhere. “A plane! We're about five minutes away from Narita airport.”
But five minutes turned out to be fifteen as the traffic condensed and grew thicker. Miroku's impatience was well concealed in his manner, save for the irritable tapping of fingers against the steering wheel and the way his palm kept hitting the horn. When they finally made it into the car park, he succeeded in pulling the car to a diagonal halt across three parking spaces. “We'll be lucky if it hasn't already taken off,” he said hurriedly as he unloaded their luggage from the boot.
The luggage was made up of only one bag - Miroku's. Kagome had nothing but the clothes on her back and the glasses in her hand. It all served to remind Kagome of her true position.
She was Miroku's other piece of baggage.
“Come, come!” Miroku ushered her in front of him as he set a speedy pace towards the lift on the far wall. “Now, a few things we should get sorted before we get to check in. You're my lovely new wife and I'm your dashing new hubby. We're on a trip to France for our honeymoon where we will be staying a fortnight in Paris at a hotel. Let's say… Le Grande Hotel, ok? You're Kyoko, I'm Daisuke. We have a fish called Fred. We love Fred very much. We met over Fred. I'm a veterinary nurse and you're a… a fish enthusiast or something.”
“I hate my new life,” she droned as she was pushed into the awaiting elevator. The doors closed behind them with a bing, and a voice that was uncannily similar to the one in Kikyo's elevator informed them that they were going down. Kagome shivered.
“It's just for the duration of the flight,” Miroku consoled her. “Your new life begins the moment you step out of the French airport.”
“Hum,” Kagome hummed. She wasn't keen on the idea.
They said nothing more till the doors opened out onto a busy foyer. There was a great crowd of people waiting to enter the elevator who politely stepped aside to let them out. Miroku started forward, then seemed to think better of it and manoeuvred Kagome to walk in front of him. Either she was being used as some kind of human shield, or he was keeping a close eye on her. Probably the latter. She'd often felt the same kind of fussiness with Inuyasha.
Kagome had no idea where they were going. It was up to Miroku to shout the occasional directions, “Left - no, the other left! Over the bridge!” Eventually they came through a set of automatic doors to greet the tail end of a very long queue to the check-in desks.
“Oh dear.” Miroku hissed through his teeth and shook back a sleeve to look at his watch. “Right. Um. Ok, right.”
Kagome folded her arms and rolled her eyes to the domed ceiling. A plane with a black belly passed overhead, momentarily blocking out the light. A nasal woman was announcing the names of the people about to miss their flights. Was she and Miroku among them? He hadn't told her what their surnames were supposed to be.
“Ok!” Miroku whirled on Kagome. “This'll take a while, so here's some money. Why don't you go to the tuck shop and buy yourself a snack and a magazine or something?”
Kagome felt like a child being sent on an errand. “Do you want anything?” she asked, out of force of habit. She was a considerate and polite girl. Or she had been at some point in her life…
“Peach Tea if they have it, thanks.” Miroku shuffled forward as the queue moved a few inches. “And a Playboy magazine.”
Kagome stared at him.
Miroku stared straight back, still smiling.
The man had no shame, she decided. “Alright.” She turned and walked away.
“I'll meet you by the phones!” Miroku called after her.
The queue at the tuck shop was almost as bad as the one at customs, Kagome discovered. While it only took her thirty seconds to locate the items she wanted (and thirty seconds more to sum up the courage to pick up the lewd Playboy magazine), it took almost ten minutes to pay for it all. Even so, when she reached the phones and peered between the escalators to check Miroku's progress, he was still roughly in the same place as before.
Kagome settled down on a blue plastic chair and stared at the wall.
Then, for a change of pace, she stared at the man opposite who was using one of the payphones.
“… Yes, Ma, for crying out loud, I packed clean underwear… no, look, I really have to go - my flight's leaving in five minutes… yes, I'm eating ok… I'll be fine, Ma… I really have to go… yes, she said she'd pick me up…”
Kagome looked at the change in her hand.
“Have to go now, Ma… goodbye… yes, goodbye… I love you too… bye - bye.” The man put the phone down quickly and gathered his suitcase before making a relieved exit.
Slowly, Kagome stood up. She peered distractedly at the queue at the check-in and made her way to the phone.
It was hardly a conscious decision. Her hands were moving with more purpose than her mind, and she soon found herself lifting the receiver and dialling her home phone number. Her heart pounded as the line rang in her ear. It squeezed painfully in her chest when her mother's painfully familiar voice answered softly.
“Hello?” her mother asked again.
Kagome's mouth opened, but no words could claw their way out. There were so many things she wanted to say at that one moment in time that they all clogged in her throat and choked her. She didn't realise she was crying until she tasted the salt on her lips.
“Oh, for goodness sake,” she heard her mother say, her voice sounding further away. “We need to tell Kikyo to get a flip phone. This is the tenth arse call this week-”
“Wait,” Kagome blurted out.
There was a pause before her mother's voice returned. “Hello?”
“H…Hello…” Her voice was weak and cracked with exhaustion and emotion. She couldn't have expected her mother to recognise her voice, but she was slightly disappointed when she didn't.
“Can I help you?” her mother asked hesitantly, obviously realising that she was talking to a weirdo.
Kagome's mouth worked for a moment. Simple things like `It's me - Kagome' or `I'm alive' were dancing on the tip of her tongue. But then they were gone. She felt like she was talking to a stranger rather than her own mother. “No… sorry. Wrong number.” It wasn't the right time.
“Alright.” Her mother still sounded perturbed. “Goodbye.”
“Bye.” But the line had already gone dead.
Kagome replaced the receiver in its cradle and idly wiped the unshed tears from her eyes. She took a moment to gather herself before turning around.
She came face to face with Miroku.
Had he been Inuyasha, she would have been subjected to a mighty wrath. But all Miroku did was smile gently and hold out a boarding pass for her. “All done here?” he asked.
Kagome said nothing. She took her documents without meeting his eye.
“Ready to go?” he asked.
“Yes.” She nodded, feeling more sure of herself. “I'm ready. Let's go.”
……………….
Sango was picking idly at the scabs on her knuckles when the phone rang in her pocket. The screen told her it was Miroku, but even so, she answered the phone in an enquiring tone. “Hello?”
“It's me,” he greeted cheerfully.
“Hello, you,” Sango responded, not so cheerfully. “What's the situation?”
“Took off about fifteen minutes ago. I would have called earlier, but they only just gave us the go ahead to use mobiles.” Miroku punctuated this with a sigh. “Twelve hour flight, they say. This is going to be so much fun.”
“The thought of your prolonged suffering gives me fuzzy feelings.” Sango smirked.
“Any prolonged thought of me gives you fuzzy feelings, I know.”
Walked into that one, Sango accepted reluctantly. She rolled her eyes to the ceiling of the motel corridor and mouthed a curse word at it. “So how's our ward?”
“She's ok. In the toilet at the moment.”
“Already?” Sango sat up.
“Yeah. I'm getting kinda worried. She's been in there for ten minutes now.”
Sango's frown dissipated. “What did you do?”
“Nothing!” he protested. “I was just getting into character - you know how we're posing as newlyweds, right? All I did was give her knee a little squeeze, and she seemed to take offence. She slapped me, Sango.”
Sango gritted her teeth. “Oh, poor Miroku.”
“And it was really hard, too…”
“If you touch her again, I'm getting on the next flight over just so I can kick fresh French shit out of you. Got that?” she snapped, fingers drumming against her knee.
“Hey!” He sounded hurt. “There's no need to be so colourful. I'm getting enough of that from the kid.”
It was time to get back to the matter at hand. “So there's been no problems?” she asked.
“Nope, no problems.” His voice faded slightly as if the phone had moved away from his mouth. There was an aggrieved sigh. “Except these seat are really uncomfortable, and the designer has obviously not given any consideration for that small minority of passengers who actually have legs-”
“Miroku!”
“Oh, you mean real problems? Nah. Got through customs fine. The kid sulked a lot, and her face was kinda scaring the kids behind us, but I managed to convince the guards that she was just tired. We'd had a busy wedding night, after all.”
“Miroku!”
“But it's fine! I mean, sure, she's kind of blowing our cover right now by hiding in the lavatory after her husband gave her a comforting pat on the knee, but I don't think that matters now. In half an hour, we'll be out of Japanese airspace. Then it'll be `so long, Japan!'”
Something squeezed in Sango's chest. “You'll be gone for good.”
A pause filled the line. When Miroku spoke again, his tone was light. “Pretty much, yeah. Will you miss me?”
“Like a hole in the head.”
He laughed. Sango allowed herself to smile now that he couldn't see her.
“Ah, Sango. I always loved you best.”
The smile faded - replaced by a sudden flush of red across her cheeks. “Shut up,” she muttered.
“Oh, hey! How's Inuyasha?”
Sudden changes in topic were the norm when Miroku was concerned. In the same breath, he could go from giving you the sweetest compliment in your life to asking how the weather was. Sango glanced at the hanyou's closed door. “He woke up. I told him that Dad was sending him back to the Coalescence. He fell asleep.”
“And… he hasn't tried to bail yet?”
Sango stood up and quietly moved towards the door. She paused a moment before opening it and peering into the room.
An Inuyasha shaped bulge was snoring gently under the duvet. Sango glanced at the window that she'd purposefully left open. Someone had locked it again.
ango could take a hint. With a sigh, she went to sit back down in the hall. “No. No, he hasn't.”
You fool.
 
 
Fackyews
 
No fackyews today because I've forgotten most of the questions that have been posed since the last chapter. But here are some quick answers to the most frequently asked questions off the top of my head:
Yes,
No,
Not for a while,
12 inches.
Thank you for your time.