Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction / Final Fantasy - All Series Fan Fiction ❯ G.h.o.s.t. O.f. L.o.v.e. ❯ Whispers in the Dark ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

G.h.o.s.t. O.f. L.o.v.e.
Chapter 3: Whispers in the Dark
 
They had eaten dinner in silence before retreating to their respective rooms. After much debating I decide to leave Squall alone. Instead I head into Cloud's room. It's only around 8:30 p.m. so he should still be up.
 
When I get inside the bedroom I smile. He lies curled up in a ball on the middle of the bed. I lie down next to him. Setting my arm over his waist, I kiss the shirt covering his back.
 
"I love you Cloud."
 
The next thing I know I'm jolted into his dream. I watch from the sidelines as it plays through.
 
Even in his sleep he can't escape the dead dream of us. I wish I could help him. Aha!
 
The scenery in Cloud's dream changes drastically to reveal him standing over a single marble grave-marker with tears streaming down. I stride resolutely over and wrap my arms around him. Still in my arms he turns around. Shock explodes onto his face but just as quick as it came, it left.
 
"What's wrong Cloud?"
 
"It's just a dream, you're not real."
 
"I'm as real as they come spikey."
 
"Zack's dead and you're a dream, I know it."
 
"Fine, I'll prove it to you."
 
"Go ahead and try."
 
I attempt to think fast. I need to say something that he knows I never told him. But...what would work?
 
"I'm waiting..."
 
Despite the words, he leans his head onto my chest. "W-Where's your heartbeat?"
 
"Shhhh Cloud I'm thinking." I tilt his chin up. "Squall is living with you. I know that he knows you from ten years ago when you rescued that boy, which you happened to not tell me about."
 
Sparkling blue eyes shine as he pushes his lips against mine. Cloud pushes his face deeper into my onyx shirt and mumbles to me breathlessly, "I love you so much. Please don't leave me."
 
"I'm sorry...but I have to. You have to wake up."
 
I pull away and he reaches out to me, "Zack..." I merely shake my head and with all my might, I exit his dream.
 
I open my eyes and move away to give him room. A second or so later, Cloud shoots up out of bed with a yelp.
 
"Calm down Cloud. Breath, it'll be okay."
 
His blonde head tilts to the side, "Who's there?"
 
Before I can shake myself out of my own shock, the bedroom door flies open. "Cloud, are you okay?" asks Squall with ragged breathes, "I heard you scream."
 
Cloud nods even while teardrops cascade down his pale cheeks.
 
"You don't look it. Is there anything I can get you?"
 
I turn to Squall with a pleading look. The brunet apparently understood what I mean, because he sits down on the edge of the bed.
 
"I'm sorry Squall. I meant to keep in touch I just..."
 
"...got married…"
 
My love bows his head shamefully, as if neglecting the friendship they had share was a deadly sin. "But now we can catch up. Talk just like we use to."
 
A comfortable silence sets in between them and I feel...strangely out of place. I leave them alone and go outside on the back porch. Running my fingers through my coal tresses, I sigh heavily.
 
I wonder what would have happened if I didn't date and marry Could. Would he have kept seeing Squall? Is it possible that they would've been bound together instead? Would...would I still be alive?
 
The sliding glass door peels open and Squall sits down in the seat beside me. "You look troubled." he states in a whisper.
 
"You have no idea."
 
"Cloud's back asleep..."
 
"So why are you whispering?"
 
"I...I don't know it just seems appropriate."
 
"You love him...don't you Squall?"
 
The boy hangs his head, embarrassed most likely. "...Sorry..."
 
I permit a chuckle to escape my lips. "Don't be sorry. We can't help who we fall in love with. I'm...going to help everyway till I leave. Now go to bed. We have work in the morning."
 
XOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOXOX
 
I honestly wasn't sure if spirits could actually sleep or not. But I suppose I did in some shape or form. After Squall had gone back inside, I had realized how drained I'd become. By the time I'd awoke, it was already noon. Who would've though? At the moment my two objectives lounge lazily in the living room. So far I'd heard that my funeral will be tomorrow thanks to the great planning of Cloud's childhood friend Tifa. Cloud had said that he just wanted to relax with Squall today.
 
Even as they sit on the couch, the TV remains off. Suddenly, Cloud turns toward Squall, "Do you...no, will you go with me? I don't think tomorrow will be bearable without you."
 
"Of course I'll go with you."
 
"Good, I'll just tell them that I invited you...it's a private funeral."
 
Silence falls between them once more, each looking for something to say. Cloud begins to open his mouth but before a word can be uttered, the doorbell chimes musically. Sighing, the blonde pulls himself to his feet and moves over to the door. A grin greets Cloud and I can't help but growl at the man.
 
"You didn't call Cloud. Tifa said you were fine but I thought I'd check for myself."
 
I lean over the back of the navy couch so that I have Squall's attention. "That's Genesis...he use to date Angeal but now he's after Cloud. Unfortunately for us he won't go near Sephiroth. Don't let him sweet talk you either."
 
Squall stands as Cloud leads Genesis over to the awaiting seating. Genesis cocks his head to the side, "And who do we have here? Well I'm-"
 
Squall cuts him off coldly, just as I would've done. "Genesis correct? The name's Squall Leonhart."
 
"And you work where?"
 
"I'm only 17."
 
Genesis chuckles and winds an arm around Cloud's slim waist. "Well precious, he's younger and taller, rough start."
 
Cloud pushes the red head away, "It's not like that Genesis."
 
At that statement I catch site of the shift of emotion in Squall's eyes.
 
"Okay then what were you two doing?"
 
Cloud slips his hands in his pockets and rocks back and forth on his heels. "Actually I was just about to ask Squall what a sensitive, medium people are."
 
The brunet doesn't hesitate with an answer, "I can communicate with the spirits of ones who have yet to go into the light."
 
Genesis scoffs, "There's no such thing."
 
Cloud turns to the supposedly trusted man. "You mean...he's lying?"
 
The manipulative man merely nods before narrowing his eyes at Squall. "You need to leave. I won't let you play off of Cloud's emotions any longer. Come back tomorrow morning and your bags will be waiting outside the door for you."
 
Glancing at Squall I prepare to give some advice and say that he doesn't need to leave. However he seems determined enough as it is. "Cloud invited me here so he should be the one to tell me to leave." he states sternly.
 
Genesis advances forward and latches onto the younger boy's wrists. Squall squirms away in an attempt to get free but it's no use and we both know it. Genesis shoves him out the door but the sensitive shoves his foot in the door for one last chance.
 
"Cloud listen to me! Zack told me that his parents were murdered. He moved in with his best friend Angeal and he met you. Please believe me Cloud. I wouldn't lie to you. I lo-"
 
The thick wood slams shut and through the window I can see Squall walking away.
 
Damn that man and his ways. First he ruined Sephiroth and Angeal's relationship and got Angeal killed. Now he's ruining Squall's chances with Cloud. Why did i have to go and die?
 
"If anyone can hear me, tell me what I'm supposed to do!"