Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Snow ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Crimson Snow
Chapter 8

~_~_~_~_~_~_~

After that Vincent left to sit with Cloud. It wasn't long before we were soaring through the air above the dark city of my homeland. From the air I could make out the curves, jutting edges, and dimmed lights of the mansion. Candles remain our only source of light at night...or lanterns. Our streets are clean cobblestone and only the simplest and common crimes remain. Our society is much more equal...except for one thing.

Those who look down upon human born vampires. Everyone here has lived with each other for centuries and harsh relations are difficult to fix.

Not long later the plane touches down and Vincent comes back to walk with me, but we know that it's for my protection more than anything else.

Stepping into the lobby Vincent places a hat on my head and a long trench coat over my clothes. "Stay very close to me."

Cloud comes out another exit with Sora. Riku strides behind them as relaxed as ever. Not a trace of silver can be seen from the coverage of a high-necked jacket and wide brimmed hat. No one glances at us twice. We look like any other vampire here; stealthy posture, dark clothes, pale, and mysterious.

Waiting at the curb are several horse drawn carriages. Vincent leads me to the one with a white stallion. I hop inside as Vincent takes the reigns out on the driver's seat. I pull the short red velvet curtain back and look to see that the others boarded one pulled by a pitch black Arabian. Sinking back into the old-fashioned leather covered seat, I sigh in relief.

No one saw and recognized us. If someone had, then they either don't know want to think or they don't care. Either way it doesn't matter. We'll be found out eventually. I need to focus on getting in or I won't make it. After everything is said and done, I can think about Axel.

I'm thrown into the seat in front of me as the carriage comes to a completely sudden stop. The door is opened and I'm yanked out.

Vincent points to an alley, "Go and hurry. Officials are coming. I'll meet you at the castle's west wall in an hour."

As we go our separate ways I can't help but sigh again.

I have no watch and it looks like rain.

I climb over the chain-linked fence and keep going. As long as I'm on the move I can stay safe. About to round what seems like the millionth corner hands reach out and plaster me to the wall. "Shut up and don't move." A small group of guards flash by and the hand over my mouth is removed. "Where's Vincent?"

"Where's Cloud?" I shoot back at my brother.

"He told us to leave but we saw you running this way." Sora walks over and takes Riku's hand. "Where were you going? Cloud told us to go to the west wall."

"Change of plans. We go tot he south wall to find Rufus and Reno."

~_~_~_~_~_~_~

I let Riku and Sora stop to leave so that they can retrieve nutrition while I kept watch. I convinced them by saying that they'd be useless in a fight, which got them rowed up. Nonetheless I stayed behind while they went into the bar.

Fingers gently tap my shoulder and a glass is thrust into my hands. Sora sits down next to me on the stoop. "Thank you Zexion."

"What for?"

"For making Axel see what I meant by not all vampires being bad." I lift the brim to my lips. "You know...Axel will come back to you. He loves you."

The statement forces me to choke on the blood. Sora laughs as he pats me on the back. "Sorry didn't mean to try to kill you."

"Ready to go Zexion?" Glancing over my shoulder I spot Riku. Nodding, I drain the glass and sit it on the stoop before standing. "Good I'll lead."

A think blue eyebrow quirks up, "I don't think so."

Riku glowers down at me, "Excuse me?"

"You'll get us killed. I'll take us there. Instead of chasing after girls, I was studying." I turn on my heel and begin walking away.

"What a bookworm."

I ignore the comment and continue on my way. The two love birds catch up to me in no time. Gratefully, the guards haven't come back into the alleyways. Otherwise, we would have been found by now.

~_~_~_~_~_~_~

I place my palm against the stone wall. Propelling myself upward I catch the windowsill and hoist myself up onto it. Carefully I unlock the latch and slip inside. The dark room is as comforting as it always has been. Standing upright I move so I can scan the full width of the room.

Instead I'm knocked off my feet by a larger frame.

I thrust my knee up into my attacker's stomach and roll him off to me. On the other side of the room several candles spark to life effectively casting a glow on his face. Instinctively I kneel down beside him.

"Sorry about that Rufus."

He runs a hand through his short blonde hair and turns his blue-eyed gaze to me. "Who did you perform the ritual with?"

Rufus's keen insight always has been able to throw anyone off.

However, before I think of answering I stick my arm back out the window and give a slight wave. Sora latches onto my wrist as I help him through without hesitation. Riku's feet hit the tile as Reno stands beside Rufus, just as anxious for our answers.

I gesture to the two behind me, "Those two have bonded as well. Sora and his friend are the hunters that stopped us. Neither of them are evil and proved so by assisting us in escaping the hunters' wraith."

It's now or never. He wouldn't hurt me anyway.

"I completed my ritual with Axel."

For the second time tonight I'm lunged at.

My back slams into the wall while Reno's fingers dig into my shoulders. Hate hides the sorrow and love that I know is in there. I retort even though he has said nothing audibly. "After you were taken away, the other present vampire bit and left Axel for dead. He's okay though."

Reno pushes me down onto my knees as he does the same.

Reno's always looked out for me. I hate having to give him such bad news. I'll not tell him that Axel had been here before. If he already knows then that means he won't ask.

The sobs cease and a whisper flutters up to my ear, "Why him Zexion?"

I'll only tell Reno. He's the one that should know more than anyone. I owe him that much.

"I love him."