Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Crimson Snow ❯ Chapter 9

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Crimson Snow
Chapter 9

!_!_!_!_!_!_!_!_!

Reno helps me to my feet, "I'm glad it was you."

I'm given a loose hug before Reno pulls away and leads me to where the others are waiting. I discard my coat and hat onto a chair. Riku's hat hangs limply from his fingers, turning it bored, "Where's dear old Dad anyway?"

Rufus opens the secret door behind a well placed hanging scroll. "Awaiting Zexion's return of course."

"Good, then this should be fun."

Piling into the passageway we keep a steady pace. Sora pipes up eventually, "What is this used for?"

"Mostly in case of an emergency, it provides us with complete access. However, there isn't one in every room. Zexion and Riku used to run through here all the time and get lost or trapped."

Sora giggles under his breath while Riku takes a hold of his hand from in front of him since the tunnel is only wide enough for one. My shoulders droop at the memory. Reno pats my shoulder, as we walk, in an attempt to comfort me. Our procession finally halts as Rufus opens the pathway into the next area. The heels of my boots click on the tile flooring as I go.

"It's good to see you alive my son."

"It's a shame I don't feel as happy as you."

Sephiroth rises from his chair like an elegant ballerina in a dance. Stepping forward are several bunches of guards which seem to appear out of thin air. I can hear the frown in Rufus's voice, "Didn't think I'd see the day when Vincent Valentine would get caught."

The shackles on his and Cloud's hands give them away as prisoners.

I knew they would do that. By getting captured themselves it gave the three of us a chance to get away.

I take my place in front of our group and stand straight. "You need to step down Father."

"I can't do that. I don't have a son to take my place."

He's going to kill us both. What a power-mad fool.

Behind me Rufus reveals a gun, "You will step down or be executed for disobeying official laws."

Hollow laughter echoes around us as Sephiroth unsheathes the intimidating katana from his side. "I'll die before this boy takes my throne."

To my left Riku brandishes his broadsword while Sora holds one as well. Knowing what I have to do, I begin chanting under my breath. Ducking low, Cloud swings his legs out and knocks a man off his feet. Vincent does the same before they jog over to us just as I finish.

A translucent barrier of impenetrable stature shimmers around the edges of guards to keep them back.

Sephiroth vanishes from out line of sight.

Rufus tosses a gun and Vincent catches it with ease.

Reno's small sword blocks an attack from the reappeared Sephiroth. Pronouncing the last syllable of the chant under my breath a sword materializes into my hands. As he disappears once more I swing the blade and it meets his from where he had planned to stab me in the back. "Sorry Father but it ends here."

Blows pound onto my weapon as I attempt to gain the upper hand. Around me I can hear the cracks beginning to form in my surrounding shield. A triumphant smirk creeps on Sephiroth's countenance as he sends my sword flying out of my hand.

I never was that adequate at swordsman ship.

Guards pour in now that they can get to us and begin to roughly herd us together. Pure iron, infused with a secret substance, shackles are clamped onto each of our wrists.

"It seems that you're pathetic attempt to over power and destroy me has failed. Lock them in the cells and are to be kept under surveillance."

Our group is shoved through the corridors and I can't help but feel hopeless. As we're chained into our confinement I find that I've been secluded far from the rest that were paired off. The head guard laughs at my forlorn expression.

"If you're lucky you'll be killed first."

I narrow my eyes and remain silent as he leaves and stations a lower ranking officer outside the door.

Now I'm glad that Axel hadn't come. Even if the hunters captured him, he'd have the power to escape and kill...not like me.

!_!_!_!_!_!_!_!_!

I'm not sure whether the others are being taken care of but I know that I'm starving. If my calculations are still accurate, then I've been in here for at least two weeks. From what I've overheard from the guards, the council denies Sephiroth the power to call for a public execution. They've said it is unjust to kill a son, a prince no doubt, just for standing up to his father. However, sadly enough they finally gave in and relinquished the authority to him. I was informed a few days ago that I would die today.

The good news is that they will only let him kill me while the others are simply exiled. I'm meant to be an example of what happens.

I've got to get out of here so they don't have the chance. I'll put a stop to his plan. But what to do..

The steel door opens and closes before locking it back. The man places the keys in his pocket and halts in front of me. I give him no sign of my plan.

Not sparing a second I push off the ground and force my feet into the air. Gripping the chains I walk up his legs and chest and plant my boot into his jaw. A growl rumbles deep in his throat as he stumbles back. Putting my feet back safely on the ground, I keep my eyes on him.

Before I register what he's done I'm smashed against the wall by his body.

"You watch your opponent's eyes not just their movements. I thought they would have taught you that much." As he removes his helmet my prediction comes true. "Miss me?"