Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ In the Whitest Darkness ❯ Flying Lances ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Rea: and so the story continues….
 
Thanks To: ThexNameless: for keeping me going with wonderful chapters from her stories!
 
Disclaimer: I own nothing; no Kingdom Hearts or Disney related material. I don't own the song excerpt either. It's Time to Burn, by The Rasmus.
___________-
In The Whitest Darkness
Chapter 7: Flying Lances
 
_______________-
 
Tell me why do I feel this way
all my life I've been standing on the borderline
too many bridges burned
too many lies I've heard
I had life but I can't go back
I can't do that, it will never be the same again
and I know I don't
have any time to burn

they follow me home, disturbing my sleep
but I'll find a place, place where they cannot find me
maybe I'm lost, and maybe I'm scared
but too many times I've closed the doors behind me
 
___________________-
 
For almost forever it seemed; Roxas live in his fake world and I watched over him and Namine's progress with Sora's memories.
 
Occasionally I traveled inside to make sure his life was going as smoothly and normal as possible.
 
Today is one of those days.
 
Dix had informed met hat Dusks were spotted throughout the town. Just because a Dusk is the lowest nobody doesn't mean he won't make me go check it out. That's the situation on his day, with more objectives to it.
 
Due to my transformation into Xehanort's form, I always stay covered by the black cloak and hood. I could never reveal myself to anyone, including Sora. Although on occasion Namine will get me to reveal myself, but it's very rare that she does. Lately, I've been feeling as if I've grown cold to those around me…like I'm sinking.
 
For Roxas, today would be the day that he goes to the beach and I already have an objective to stop him, yet I don't know why.
 
As I walk through the tunnels beneath the make-believe city, the air grows warm. I round the corner and my concealed eyes widen.
 
“Axel, what are you doing here?”
 
Dull green orbs turn toward me. “I've been given an icky order to pursue Roxas. Either I bring him back or kill him, or else I'm on the chopping block instead.”
 
“But…what am I suppose to do? I can't fight you.”
 
“They told me to wait for Roxas at wherever he's headed today, which happens to be the beach.” Axel sighs heavily; sorrow, fear, hatred, and so much more mixed into that one sigh. “Stop him at all costs. Please Riku…”
 
Anxiety fills every part of my being as my love steps toward me, arms outstretched.
 
“Axel…no, don't. I'm not myself anymore.” I turn away and pull myself together, not letting a single tear slip out.
 
Arms roll over my shoulders and his hands rest on my chest. “When you're around those who care about you, your true self can be seen, got it memorized?”
 
“I should get going Axel, if I want to catch Roxas before he gets on that train…I'm sorry. But I'll see you again.”
 
I pull away slowly, not wanting to actually leave, but I do.
 
I scarcely remember what happened next. I do remember that Roxas had `fallen' and I picked him up. Before releasing him I asked him a single question.
 
“Do you feel Sora?”
 
I didn't wait for his mind to comprehend and disappeared into my portal with the munny bag in my hand and without an answer.
 
As I walked to Namine's room, to check up on Sora, I felt a deep pain in my chest. These have grown common to me now for I missed my friends and Axel deeply.
 
Even though I ignored this warning, I knew I would never see Axel again while he was in that form of a Nobody.
 
_____________-
 
“Riku…Riku wake up. Come on Riku, tell me what's wrong.” an innocent voice calls to him.
 
The lunar haired male opens his eyes to see the dark blues and purples of the room. “Demyx…” he says weakly.
 
“Demyx just left a moment ago to go speak with that woman who helped us…Belle I think it was.”
 
Riku props himself up on his elbows, realizing that he was lying on a neatly made bed, “When did we get here?”
 
“About a couple hours ago but you start sobbing around minutes earlier…Riku…are you okay, what's wrong?”

Riku takes a deep shaky breath and looked toward the ceiling letting the stray tears trail down his face.
 
“Don't worry Riku, Demyx told me that you've been, in a way, reliving spurts of your past…with Axel. Did something bad happen?”
 
“No…I mean…it was the last time I saw him and I was…in Xehanort's form.”
 
Zexion hands him a folded blue cloth off of the side table. “I understand…It was the same with Demyx. The day I was assigned to Castle Oblivion I knew I wouldn't come back alive. Axel provoked your replica and he…wanted my power.”
 
Riku wipes his face before facing Zexion. “Why didn't you fight back? You held your own in our fight.”
 
“I was still weak from my battle with you. Plus…Axel had good intentions in mind. I would have been eliminated by Xemnas anyway. Axel was right, I had learned too much.”
 
Riku struggles to reply with something comforting, but Demyx returns with a female at his heels. Her brown hair is pulled back into a bun while a golden dress adorns her figure.
 
Riku knew her. She was one of the Princesses of Heart, Belle.
 
He lowers his eyes, ashamed that he had helped Maleficent in acquiring her from her home.
 
Belle reaches out and lays a hand on Riku's shoulder. “Don't think about those times. It wasn't your fault Riku. You had good intentions that grew hazy by the appearance of Xehanort and Maleficent. I blame none.”
 
“T-Thank you…But we're looking for someone.”
 
Belle drops her gaze to the floor and strides over to the window.
 
“He's back…Xaldin is tormenting us once more and…our good time was postponed for the Prince has been trapped in the ballroom with some creatures guarding him.”
 
Riku throws his legs over the side of the bed and moves toward the door. “I'll go get him.”
 
A hand pushes against Riku's chest and in turn he glares up at Zexion. “Let me pass.”
 
“Xaldin's Dragoon Nobodies will finish us off easily as long as he's here.” the blue-haired spirit turns to Belle. “Where's Xaldin been spotted?”
 
With a grim look she faces them, “The courtyard…but please be safe.”
 
______________-
 
As the three sauntered through the halls Riku stops mid-step and Demyx turns back to him as he does. “What's the matter Riku, something troubling you?”
 
“Ya, Zexion you said that Vexen was next, what gives?”
 
Zexion's head snaps toward Riku.
 
“Well excuse me for miscalculating our drop off. But I was unstable at that current moment.”
 
Demyx takes a hold of Zexion's hand, soothing the other spirit instantly.
 
“Sorry Zexion I didn't mean it that way…I'm just…I want to get to Axel.” They except this and continue onward, Riku following close behind.
 
The courtyard wasn't far away but no traces of life could be found. Then again Xaldin wasn't really alive to begin with. Demyx groans, “Where's Xaldin?”
 
Just as the blond finishes groaning a whirlwind flies past the three and through the towering iron gate. Riku steps forward, “You two stay here…I can handle him.”
 
“But Riku he's dangerous, let me help in some way.” the water spirit pleads. Zexion simply pulls his love close, trying his best to consol him. “Dem, the only way we can help is to keep our strength for another battle. Riku will need our help with Xemnas. Plus, as a spirit our strength will replenish in no time. Go ahead Riku; we'll wait for you here.”
 
Riku grins before running off to the Nobody, the Whirlwind Lancer.
________________-
 
Riku walks to the middle of the pathway and nothing out of the ordinary happens right away.
 
That is till cackling erupts from behind the lunar haired male and he spins around on his heel. There stood the wind spirit with his lances floating around him as if they were a wall. “So you're Xaldin…ready to perish?”
 
The man shakes his head, making his long black dreadlocks sway. Eyes darkened with hate glare at Riku. “I may not have been able to kill Sora…but you're nothing compared to him.”
 
“Dark Firaga!” yells Riku.
 
Three orbs of blue fire sail toward Xaldin, catching him off guard. He falls back, barely escaping the blow. Bust as his eyes scan in front of him he notes one clear detail.
 
Riku's gone from sight.
 
Startled at an all too familiar pain, Xaldin peers down at his chest with widen eyes. The tip of Riku's sword can barely be seen poking through Xaldin's heaving chest.
 
“You should never underestimate me.” Riku growls as he yanks his sword out.
 
Xaldin crumples to the ground clutching at his evaporating chest. “You can try…But Axel is probably dead by now.”
 
The evil spirit fades away and Riku spins around, dashing back toward the courtyard. Demyx beams with happiness as Riku steps that final step toward them. “So now we're off again right?”
 
The lunar haired male nods urgently, “When can we leave?”
 
Zexion looks toward the ground, “Now…” with that a giant hole of white swallows them back into nothingness.