Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ In the Whitest Darkness ❯ Frozen Hearts ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Okay peoples…the next chapter and it is going to be in Riku's POV for the rest of the story. I thought I should let you all know so there's no confusion. Hopefully I can get the next chapter done soon, due to the overload of end of the year projects they're throwing at us, last minute.
 
Disclaimer: I don't own any Disney or Kingdom Hearts or Final Fantasy related material. I do however own this idea. Hehehe I own something!
_______________-
In the Whitest Darkness
Chapter 8: Frozen Hearts
 
I struggle to open my eyes. As I do I let out a groan, for it's embarrassing to pass out while traveling via portal back and forth between the white darkness.
 
Demyx extends his hand and I gladly take it. He really is nice but I'm sure he can be cruel just as all can. Zexion motions toward the awaiting city and both Demyx and I cringe…
 
Hollow Bastion…
 
Zexion sighs already preparing to correct us. “This is Radiant Gardens, Hollow Bastion's true self.”
 
Inwardly I begin to calm but with one glance at Demyx my heart jumps.
 
The poor water spirit's eyes glaze over with tears and his features harden. I cautiously approach Demyx. “Are you okay?”
 
“No…I died here….gave up all that hope of getting a heart again…” the blond snarls coldly.
 
I didn't know how to reply to that. I wonder what Sora had been thinking when he slaughtered these nobodies, especially Demyx. But I can't put Sora down for making Demyx fade, just can't. He was looking for Kairi and me, and he was prepared to give anything and everything. I would have done the same.
 
Zexion reaches toward Demyx but the blond simply marches forward. “I know where allies should be. They are friends with Sora.”
 
I glance at Zexion and he connects his gaze with mine before following behind his lover. The emotional water spirit led us through the city until finally we arrive at a moderate sized house. Just as we get within six feet of the house a female walks out.
 
She wears a pink dress and a bow of pink ties back her spiraling brown hair. Her gaze automatically shifts to me.
“You must be Riku….But why do you have these two with you? Shouldn't they be looking for the fire spirit?”
 
I don't know how she knows but I take it as a good sign.
 
“Um…this is Demyx and Zexion. We are actually looking for Axel. But we don't know where to start.”
 
“That's okay, I'm Aerith. Our friend Cloud is out searching for the evil entity and we've…lost a comrade as well.” Aerith sighs deeply. “Cloud and Leon were making their round, even though peace has settled in, and Cloud said they ran into a man called Vexen. Vexen had an unconscious body over his shoulder, most likely the man you are looking for, Axel. Naturally they teamed up and went up against this evil one. Well…”
 
“An ice shard flew into my shoulder and I faltered for, maybe a few seconds, but it didn't matter. Leon had charged Vexen, but his feet were frozen to the ground and I was blocked off from the area by a five foot thick ice wall. By the time I got through they were gone. I still can't locate them.” says a voice from behind.
 
I turn to see a man in his 20s with spiked fair hair and sky blue eyes.
 
“I couldn't save Leon or that other one…”
 
The name Leon rings in my ears. The familiarity of it strikes me hard.
 
Once when I visited Namine when she was working on Sora's memories in Hollow Bastion, this man…Leon…had made an impression on Sora. It was something he had said about not forgetting.
 
Zexion's voice snaps me out of my thoughts, “We'll help look…is there a place that you haven't searched?”
 
Demyx turns back. “I know where they're at…Where a Nobody's power is at its best, Vexen and I need open spaces because water is free flowing…ice is water.”
 
We file behind Demyx, following him through the twists and turns. As an opening near, Cloud steps forward, vibrant blue eyes narrowed. “Leon!”
 
The man lying on the ground looks up, stormy eyes widening. “Cloud get out of here!”
 
I look toward Leon and the fear washes over his pale face. The scar runs from the tip of his eyebrow to the bridge of his nose while brown hair falls around his face. Even though we're at a distance I can see that his breathing comes in short gasps from exhaustion.
 
My throat goes dry and my breathes come short as well as my eyes flitter over a figure; with his arms at his sides, trapped in ice up past his waist, laying on the ground on the other side of the arena.
 
“Axel…” I whisper into the tense air.
 
A laughter that sounds as a horse's snort rings off the cliffs. I throw my arm to the side and summon my blade, growling at the evil spirit before us, Vexen.
 
I let my anger loose, “You're looking as womanly as ever, Vexen.”
 
“Riku as arrogant as always,” Vexen flips his shoulder length pale blond hair before laughing once more. “You're still ignorant of me though. I've become more powerful than you can imagine.”
 
“Sorry Vexen, but I just can't see how that's possible.” I let a smirk curl onto my lips.
 
“I've been draining this warrior over here.” he throws his arm to the side, gesturing toward Leon.
 
Behind me I hear Cloud growl low.
 
“After I go in, get Leon out of there,” I mumble to Cloud, over my shoulder.
 
With that I dash forward only to have my sword repelled against Vexen's blue and white shield.