Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ In the Whitest Darkness ❯ Divide ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]


In the whitest darkness
Chapter 10: Divide
_______________-
I recall a long farewell and a time to choose
So we part like rivers, baby, like rivers do
But I still talk about you though
And wonder how it is your life will unfold.
Show me what it looks like
Outside your window at twilight
Show me what it looks like
I know I should be happy that my mission is almost done…but I don't want to lose the friends that I've made. Who knew that I would be a hero and not be fully of the light? I guess the saying is right: There's always darkness in the brightest light, and light in the deepest darkness. And I'm ready to get moving on and be with those I care about, and not drag them down like I did in the beginning of this whole journey…when I opened the door.
With my hand intertwined with Axels' I lead them to Xemnas. Just as expected the evil entity floats in mid-air with an aerial blade the shade of blood in each hand.
The silver-haired, tanned skin, crimson eyed man grins sadistically at me. “It's so good to see you again Riku. Or are you calling yourself Ansem again?”
I release my grip on his hand and summon my sword. The growl that slips from between my clenched teeth seems to echo in the void where I had last fought this man. But instead I don't have Sora with me. This time I have Axel, Demyx, and Zexion; the last three people I would have suspected to come with me.
“Have you all come to give me your powers? I knew each and every one of my fellow members would fall. But either way I need all of your power combined to live and have a heart!”
Zexion snorts at the comment.
“Xemnas you'll never have a heart.”
A warm light flashes beside me and I know that Axel had summoned his chakrams to the ready. Zexion waves his hand and a swirl of wind comes with a book dissolving into focus. Lastly Demyx lifts his arm high above him where water forms into his sitar.
Balancing the blue instrument on his hip Demyx glares coldly at his former leader.
“The only ones leaving are us!”
The beautifully short melody erupts from the sitar as water clones dance in a circle around Zexion and him.
I tilt my head up at Axel and grin, “I'm ready to fight alongside you.”
The love of my life leans down and his lips ghost over mine, barely touching. Irritated I use my free hand to pull his head down so our lips meet. As we part his lips peck mine one last time before he launches forward, throwing his blazing spiked spheres at the target.
Slightly dazed I jump into the fight as well, swinging and clashing my sword to his aerial blades with all of my strength.
The standstill of battle continues as neither Axel nor I can land a single blow to the man. Till a horde of water clones rushes up and swarms Xemnas, engulfing him in an orb of water.
Axel and I jump backward and out of the way just in time.
Three illusions of Zexion, each gripping the hilt of a Soul Eater, float toward the drowning Xemnas. Each sword raises in unison and each sword plunges inward.
The sizzling of water connects with my ears just as smoke fills my vision.
“Riku, move!” shrieks Axel.
Lost in the blur of my watering eyes I attempt to run to the side, which ever that way is.
A firm hand grips my wrist and flings me around ending with me crashing into the person who had a hold of me in the first place.
The nip of fire on my skin dances through my nerves to my brain, signaling a warning that I'm in danger. With my life in mind I throw my elbow back and swing Way to Dawn.
The spiritually balance of my sword clashes with that of the scorching blade of Xemnas. Thanks to my lack of promptness his blade sends my own skating across the non-existent ground.
Even with the dying of the smoke all I can see through my burning eyes is the blistering threat of Xemnas's aerial blades. Reason escapes my mind as the last thought pops into my head, a crappy little ploy.
I dart to his right, in the direction of my sword. As expected he follows my movement with his own. At the last moment I skid to a halt and begin to sprint to the other direction, hopefully that of my comrades.
The hair on my arms tingle, foreshadowing the oncoming events. I spin around on my heel, expecting much but seeing none.
A tall body steps in front of me, shielding me, as the voice that belongs to the body hisses and its breathing becomes labored.
Fierce tears spill out from my already irritated eyes as it all comes together.
A single sizzling aerial blade protrudes from Axel's chest, almost touching my own.
“It's okay Riku…I'm only a spirit…I'll be fine,” he says with difficulty.
The sword leaves his frame as he kneels onto the ground. I run a hand alongside the edge of his pained countenance.
Demyx and Zexion jog over to Axel as I turn to Xemnas. By the flick of my wrist Way to Dawn appears back into my bloody grip.
As I launch myself at him, blood trickles down from my shoulder and onto the hilt of my rapier. I slash at Xemnas as if I was a cruel Heartless creature that I had battled so many of.
Fury and loathing fill my physique while I drive him back onto his knees.
“You can't…no…you won't…kill me. I am Xehanort…you are…just like me,” he snarls at me with heavy breathing.
I narrow my eyes at Xemnas, shooting invisible daggers of disgust at him. “You're time is up…I'm nothing like you!”
A thrust, twist, and pull later I walk away from the dissolving corpse of the evil entity.
Great illumination shines like one that would appear as one would get ready to go to heaven. It stops me in my tracks, only feet away from my long lost lover. I reach out towards him, my voice paralyzed and my ears unable to detect the conversation between the three spirits any longer.
The ache of longing throbs throughout my limbs as I turn away.
At least now they'll be safe. Now they can go back to the lives that they once had. But is it right of me not to wish that for them? Is it decent of me to want us to never leave this place so that everything can stay the same? Probably…but who would know what I'm feeling, I'll go home to that small little island and go on with my small consistent life…never seeing him again…
Arms snake ghostly around my shoulders, draping down onto my chest. I lean my head back and let the prolonged tears slip effortlessly down my pale cheeks. The warmth and comfort from my love's vaporous body calms me to a numb state.
His voice whispers into my ear, “Riku…I'll never stay away long, I promise I'll find you. Just wait for me…don't let anyone steal your heart…keep your heart broken till I return to fix it, okay?”
I choke back some tears and nod. Axel's lips press down on my cheek. His hand falls to my own and he grips my stunned appendage.
My love walks away and I grip the object he left in my hand tight. Loneliness fills my being. Spinning around I dash over to Axel in an attempt to wrap my arms around him one last time, for all I know.
Instead I stumble straight through him and land on the floor, sobbing. I look up and he only smiles down at me…a heartbreakingly vulnerable smile.
The three spirits ascend into the beaming white glow, leaving me utterly alone.
I lie down on this plane of energy which intersects with all the other realms…
Hopefully Namine will find me. But then again I don't want her to. I want to stay alone. Just as it should be. The cruel numbness of my body reminds me of that everlasting darkness. Maybe I'll get to fade back into that...and maybe, just maybe I'll find Axel there. Yeah right, that would be my luck. Namine had better come soon...
I pull my hands up to my face and gaze upon the present Axel had given me. The best thing he could ever bestow upon me...
...a single black ribbon.