Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Invisible Love ❯ Gratitude ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Invisible Love
Chapter 9: Gratitude

Groaning audibly I crack my eyes open an inch. Around me the lights appear to be dimmed, that or they don't have electricity, so I open them the rest of the way. On a stool in the corner sits a girl, although she looks more like a doll patched together at every turn. Maroon hair falls to her waist and cloth sits in her lap as she sews without even turning an eye to me.

As I sit up and the cover puddles around my waist. A chill settles over me as I realize that to replace my shirt I have ashen bandages wrapped around my torso. My teeth begin to chatter, my body not use to the cool temperature just yet. Smiling sweetly she strides over to me on her tiny feet and hands me my shirt. "I sewed it up just as Riku requested." My once pure black shirt has gray flames swirling around the hems of the neck, arms, and bottom. "Him and Jack are waiting for you downstairs."

I slip out of the bed and begin to follow her down the stairs. As we walked she apologized that my boots had been left at the entrance. Stepping down off of the gothic staircase I catch the gaze of Riku. His aquamarine eyes trail over my battle wounds with worry etched deep in those enchanting orbs of his. He drops his eyes to the empty pair of boots at his own feet. "So you stole my boots huh?"

Riku snaps back toward me, "Like I could even fit them."

I take a the seat next to Riku on the small black and white striped...couch...I think that's what it is. His gloomy mood radiates off of him and I devise a plan to extinguish it. Slinking my arm around his shoulders I pull him against me, "Aw come on cheer up or do you need a hug?"

I grunt as his elbow sinks into my ribs making me lean against the back of the couch which permits me to hiss between clenched teeth. Setting my cocky smile back into a frown I proceed to slip my shirt on, just wanting to let the instinct of getting him back to die down. Just as it slides over the wrappings a skeleton walks in. Not like I doubt it, no not for one minute. Standing in his uniquely patterned gothic suit he smiles at me.

"I'm glad to see you're up and moving. You were lucky Sally was over." Sally walks meekly over to the skeleton and he pecks her cheek. With that slightest bit of affection she's gone into the town's square. Jack starts toward the second floor, "I hate to be leaving but I need to finish planning next Halloween."

The once normal man takes long strides up the stairs till the sound of a shutting door echoes throughout. Pulling the last of my boot onto me I stagger to my feet. Riku locks his grasp onto my wrist. "Where do you think you're going?"

"Anywhere but here."

"Why?"

"You're here."

"That's my line."

"Too bad."

I yank my arm back and leave a very stunned Riku. I push the creaky iron gate open and begin through the town. As I cross through an alley I come across a group of musicians. They look up at me wordlessly before smiling and handing me an extra guitar.

The leader of the three nods, "We know a fellow musician when we see one."

"Thank you." I reply with gratitude laced in every syllable. It's as if that single man could read my soul's need to express itself.

I slip through the cracks of yet another gate. Taking long strides up the hill I glance back to make sure Riku isn't following me. The moon shines brilliantly above the city, directing me to a certain spot. The hill beyond the barrier to my right spirals into itself and majestically watches over the graveyard sitting around it. Drawn to it I step through the threshold and leave it ajar as I keep moving. I take a seat on the end right before it curves. I let one leg dangle as the guitar rests on the thigh of my right leg. My nimble appendages run over the strings and bring forth a bittersweet tune. Subconsciously I let the words slip from my lips and spill out over the monumental gravestones.

"I never felt nothing in the world like this before. Now I'm missing you and I'm wishing that you would come back through my door. Why did you have to go? You could have let me know...So now I'm all alone, you could have stayed, but you wouldn't give me a chance. With you not around it's a little bit more than I can stand and all my tears they keep running down my face Why did you turn away? So why does your pride make you run and hide? Are you that afraid of me? But I know it's a lie what you keep inside. This is not how you want it to be. So baby I will wait for you, 'cause I don't know what else I can do. Don't tell me I ran out of time...If it takes the rest of my life...Baby I will wait for you. If you think I'm fine it just ain't true, I really need you in my life. No matter what I have to do I'll wait for you"

I let the note echo off my surroundings as the sound of footsteps reaches my ears. Pivoting I catch the moon's beam glimmering off of silvered tresses. I refuse to let the smile deep inside bubble to the surface as the man takes cautious steps up the hill and sits down beside me. Silence encircles us as we stare at the moon, neither wanting to say a thing. I think I love him...but it's impossible if the feelings aren't returned.

"That's a very emotional song."

What does it matter? You can't even realize who it's for.

"Was it about Roxas?"

"No..."

"Will you tell me?"

"Only if you'll spill your guts about what's going on with you."

"That's hardly a fair trade."

"I think it is...I mean I was thinking of you when I thought it up." Ocean orbs lock onto me but I keep mine fixated at the ashen rock in the midnight sky. "So are you going to keep to it?" My love falls silent and I continue what I had been doing.

"So why does your pride make you run and hide? Are you that afraid of me? But I know it's a lie what you're keeping inside, that is not how you want it to be. Baby I will wait for you, if it's the last thing I do. Baby I will wait for you, 'cause I don't know what else I can do. Don't tell me I ran out of time...If it takes the rest of my life. Baby I will wait for you. If you think I'm fine it just ain't trueI really need you in my life...No matter what I have to do I'll wait for you...I'll be waiting."

I lean the instrument against the hill on my left side and turn back to Riku. Pale eyelids shield his beautifully orbs from view, yet crystal tears still creep out and trickle down over ashen cheeks. With my thumb I wipe away each one as it cascades down. As I take away the last one he rests his head on my hand.

Rose petal lips brush against my palm as he forms his words. "I got back and everything, yet nothing, was the same. I was treated just like before I left. I aced the remaining years of school. However...I was alone the whole time."

"...and Sora?"

"Popular with everyone and now with all that courage under his belt from saving the worlds...I don't think I could ever reconnect with that. I know he cares for me and the way he acted when he found me...Even if he would have felt the same way, I wouldn't take the chance to hurt him again. Then I couldn't even be around my family. I felt ashamed that I was so selfish and even thought of giving them, my friends, and everything just to get the chance to travel. I could never tell them anything though. I became a prisoner of my own mind. A year ago they died...I got everything since I had no living relatives or siblings...I got just what I deserved, an empty home that use to welcome me."

"Why didn't you tell Sora?"

"He wouldn't understand. Mickey...he told me that...Sora wasn't supposed to be chosen. Yet fate has another vote in it."

"So who was supposed to be the Master?"

"Me."

Riku swivels around and stumbles down to even ground. Worried, I follow at his heels. Trying to avoid tombstones he wobbles forward. I bury my hand in the collar of his shirt as he takes a turn. He keeps walking and isn't aware that ahead of him is a monument that could knock him out. Yanking gently Riku looses his footing and falls backward. I accept the consequences of my actions. My skull hits the earth with Riku lying on top of me, his hair sprawled out in my face. The lunar haired male flips over and pins me to the ground. The shock must be all over my face.

"Why Axel, tell me why you want me?"

I fall quiet...not sure of how to respond.

"Axel...please answer me, I need to know, I don't your pity."

"I love you."

"Why?"

"Because you're just what a Nobody like me could ever wish for. One that understands. I love looking into your eyes as if I'm the only one that can see deep into your soul. As if I'm the single person you can rely on...even if you think me and my love for you are invisible and empty."

Without another word uttered from his sweet mouth, he leaves me lying amongst the buried souls. I feel like I have more incommon with them than I think. Even if I have a heart...it's cold and hard.