Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Invisible Love ❯ Daring Escape ( Chapter 8 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Invisible Love
Chapter 8: Daring Escape

Myde trails at my heels as Namine's hands grip harder into my shoulders. If she hadn't had agreed for me to pig-back her then we might not have gotten this far. Myde is having a slightly difficult time keeping up with me. Although, that's the least of my worries as well as the constant glares of passerby's. Thankfully the rain had let up for the moment, giving us an easier chance of making it back to the hospital in Namine's specified time frame.

Skidding through the doctor and nurse filled hallways, I let Myde lead the way. Stepping into the waiting room all eyes turn to us before Sora jumps up from his seat and rushes over to greet a long lost friend. The brunet grins up at Namine eagerly, "Hey Nami it's about time you showed up. Roxas was telling me all how he got free and that he'd seen you escaping as well. But I wanted to see you and now you're here!"

The petite blond slides down my back and graceful hits the floor without so much as light tap. That's when I notice her bare feet and dry snow white dress. Her hands twist together in front of her, "I need to see Riku immediately and we need to leave...now."

Kairi gets up from her seat, followed by the rest, and raises an eyebrow. "What's going on here Axel? Is something wrong with Destiny Islands?"

I shake my head furiously and send water flying off my spikes. "No but all his bent up power is about to explode and we need to get him someplace where it won't hurt anyone. Nami has a place but we need to hurry."

Ienzo waltzes over to the door, "Then let's go."

He always was straight forward. I guess that's good at times like these. But...

"Is Sora and Kairi coming with us?"

Namine stops her way to the door and glances back at her other half and the boy that had tried to save her, despite the swirling false memories in his heart. "Of course, if they want. Since Kairi's a princess and Sora the keyblade master their power should be fine to control but they can come."

Without another word Namine, Ienzo, and I rush into the stressfully small room. I glance back at Braig, "Get the cars ready to go and meet us at the beach. Just leave one of your cars running."

Braig nods and ushers everyone casually down the corridors and to the elevator. With a sigh I cross over to stand by Riku's bed. Instead of smooth peaceful features, his countenance is contorted into pain. Brushing back the silver bangs out of his face, I can't help myself but smile. Ienzo snaps me out of my trance and I take note that he's already cautiously removed every last device from Riku's body. The slate haired man motions for me to pick Riku up, which I do with the utmost of care. Slipping out the door the three of us instantly catch the attention of every doctor in the hall.

Shit...I just hope we can get out of here without getting poked with a needle of sedative or shot with a stun gun.

I turn my gaze back down to Ienzo, "Got any bright plans Zexy?"

A smirk curves up a corner of his lips, "Actually I do and I'd only do this in these circumstances so don't ask me to do this ever again. Just follow close behind alright?"

I merely nod, which I'm not sure he even noticed, before bolting down the hall with Namine right next to him. Apparently she was ready to do whatever was needed of her. As for me, I made perfectly clear that I stayed right at their backs and to keep Riku balanced against me. The thing I would want to do is drop him on the ground. Coming close to the crossroads of either an elevator or the stairs, my brain can't process which one would be a better idea. Although, Ienzo has a good sense of which of the two would be better.

Taking two steps at a time, they keep a better pace than me. Ienzo continuously glared back at me, "Are you coming or what?"

"Well he's not as light as he looks!" I growled out each time as a retort to that nagging question.

Crossing over the threshold of the stairway door I'm met by a bright set of lights streaming down from above. Glancing to my right I notice the elevator beginning to slowly open. Through the crack I take note of the infuriated doctors and nurses crowded inside. One of them catches the attention of a nearby group of interns. "Get those three! They have a patient!"

All at once, it feels like a million eyes fall onto me. Groaning I take my first leap toward the motion activated doors. Namine waves me forward through the closed window double-door. Much to both our horror, a well built sergin steps in the middle of my path.

There's got to be another way out of this hole.

The bulky man's eyes plead with me, "Stop right there son. If you go any further things might get messy and that young man you're holding may die."

My grip on Riku's frame tightens as my eyes narrow. "You have no idea buddy. This is something medicine can't cure. No move!"

Arching my leg, I kick a cart full of bottles and other nessacary things to help those who haven't gotten into a room just yet. It sails straight toward the man and thankfully he dodges out of the way just in the nick of time. The metal and glass doors open for the cart and then finally for me.

Idling at the entrance is Ienzo's car rearing to go. Namine stands ready waiting for me to get close enough. I slide Riku inside first before slipping into the seat next to him. With a slam, Namine climbs into the front seat beside Ienzo and he throws us into motion.

I keep Riku angled against me so I can easily pull him out when it comes time. Although, through the sharp turns he falls into my lap, with his pale face toward mine. His long silver eyelashes flutter against his cheek bones. An equally ashen hand reaches up to my face. Riku weakly cups my cheek, "Axel...where...are we?"

"About to get you someplace safe."

Since I don't have a seatbelt on I slam forward and my head crashes into the seat in front of me. Head pounding from the blood rush I stagger out, while pulling Riku with me. Myde darts over to take Riku from me but I shrug him off and start toward the water. Luckily no one is out and about due to the recent showers. Risking one glance upward I become wary of the threat it actually possess, way up there and glowering menacingly down at us with the foreboding of a terrible storm.

My legs wobble as I walk closer to the water, waiting for the others to hurry over. Roxas and Sora stand on one side of me while Ienzo and Myde wait patiently on the other. Kairi's hand rests on the small of my back, giving me the strength I need to make sure that Riku gets to where he needs to. Sirens loom over us and Namine dashes to the front. Throwing her arms out a dark portal wavers out from the ground. The young girl winces from all the power she's using.

I wish I could help her. But with Riku in my arms and my insecurity over my power at the moment, I know that I wouldn't be of much help. Good thing someone does or else we're done for.

Kairi laces her left hand with Namine's right and the portal blazes with life. Not even thinking of the consequences, Ienzo drags Myde forward and they vanish. Roxas cautions Sora before leading him through next leaving me with Namine, Kairi, and a helpless Riku.

Inhaling deep I step into the portal with the two girls behind me. "Go on ahead and guide them along. Ienzo has no idea where he's going, no matter how much he thinks he does."

Giggling foolishly they run straight ahead as I take up the rear. The tunnel walls of pure darkness rest beside me just as beneath me I slam my feet upon the same shadows. I blissfully stare at it all as I continue to walk forward, a medium gap between the main of the group and me.

That's when Namine and Kairi's identical yelps shove me out of my hypnotic state. Around me the tunnel dips low from every angle. From this I know exactly what is happening.

The usually secure path is unstable and is collapsing around us as we speak.

A worried glance from Myde tells me that it's everyone for themselves. All we can do now is rely on our own power. Now just because Sora and his friends defeated every possible way the Heartless could get into the other worlds doesn't mean that they don't exist here. Usually Ienzo would tell me that I'm being paranoid.

But when you have tens to twenty pairs of glowing yellow eyes staring at you, it clicks.

The dark creates a wall between Riku and I and the rest of the group. The next thing I know, I'm virtually surrounded completely by shadow Heartless. Each more anxious than the other to have a heart.

"I know it and you know...You don't have a weapon. So let me down so I can save us." comes the stoic voice of the one I cradle in my arms.
"I don't think so. I have a weapon and you're not getting down."

To my surprise, the lunar haired Keyblader doesn't snap back another witty retort. Exhaling slowly I search for the sleeping fire within me. At least I hope it's still there.

In the middle of my concentration, a Heartless sinks it's razor teeth deep into my ankle. Grunting I desperately try to shake it off only to have it hang on even tighter. With my focus on that single little shadow I didn't see the other one until it was too later.

It's, sharper than knives, claws slash into my back. Kneeling down I swat them away at arms length. Blue-green orbs stare at me in concern. "Axel are you-"

Every muscle in my body tenses as Riku flings the creature from his now bleeding shoulder. Fury curses through me and I'm finally granted my wish.

A churning fire erupts around the two of us, eliminating all Heartless in the radius of about ten feet. However, as the energy from my body drains, the flames slowly weaken.

Standing from my grasp, Riku yanks me to my feet as I lean on his frame. Beneath our feet another portal appears and we gladly fall through. The next second I black out before I hit the solid ground.