Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Kingdom Hearts: A New Threat ❯ The Foolish King ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 6:
The darkness of the room surrounded her, and the knowledge that something was lurking about instilled fear in her heart. She slowly walked forward, her hands out in front of her so she didn't run straight into a wall…or worse, the Heartless she had to fight. As she walked, she tried to keep her steps and her breathing quiet; a weak attempt of hiding herself from the creature. She gasped when she felt something brush past her. She turned in the direction it ran in and saw two glowing yellow eyes bobbing about in the darkness. The eyes locked on her, and the creature stood still for a second before running at a full sprint towards her.
Iona screamed, closing her eyes and holding her hands in front of her in defense. The creature suddenly made a strange noise and she could hear it running away. She opened her eyes and saw that she was no longer submerged in darkness. In her right hand was by far the most beautiful thing she'd ever seen. It was a beautifully intricate sword made out of steel…but it almost looked like a key because of the way the metal jut out at the bottom. The weapon was glowing in her hands, illuminating the room, but she couldn't take her eyes off of it. She turned it around carefully in her small hands to get a better look.
The metal twisted around what looked to be a regular sword, and there was a diamond shaped amethyst imbedded in the handle. At the top of the elaborate hilt was a connected a chain that held a beautiful amethyst in the shape of an inverted teardrop. Her eyes widened, and with her left hand she reached up around her neck to find that her necklace was gone. It was then she realized that her necklace was, in fact, a Keyblade. Could the King have been right? Could she be the fourth Keyblade bearer? She didn't have time to think it over as the creature made a growling noise from where it crouched. She looked up and saw what reminded her of an oversized ant squatting not to far from her. It looked as if it was about to attack. She looked back down at the surprisingly light weapon in her hands then back at the creature; she knew what needed to be done.
Back in the Castle's Library, the three teens from the Destiny Islands, Goofy, Donald, Daisy, and Queen Minnie anxiously waited for the return of the King and Iona. After the two left the room, Riku had nearly knocked Goofy over trying to follow; Donald had to cast a spell on him that knocked him out for a while. Of course, when Riku awoke, he was even more infuriated with the situation. Especially when he was told he had been out cold for a good half hour. Riku just couldn't believe someone as wise and kind-hearted as the King would put a young, inexperienced girl--a child--in such danger! That was the only reason he was so mad…really. Riku paced back and forth in the library, looking at the door every couple of seconds. Finally, forty five minutes after they left, the King and Iona returned; Iona slung over the King's shoulder. Riku was mad beyond words.
“What happened?!” he demanded as he took Iona off of the King's shoulder and carefully laid her on the cold marble floor.
“She was able to summon a Keyblade, just like I thought,” the King said as he collapsed into his desk chair, exhausted from carrying Iona through the castle.
“Then why is she passed out?!” Riku yelled at the King.
“It must have taken too much out of her,” the King guessed, as he was as much in the dark as the others.
“Of course it did! Look how small she is! I mean, she can't be more than, what? Eleven? Twelve? Thirteen?”
“She's sixteen, Riku; almost seventeen, like you. She's only a couple of months younger than you,” the Queen explained.
Riku was so surprised that the small little girl on the floor beside him was so close to his age, that he couldn't say another word. He could only stare at her.
“Come on, Daisy, Kairi; let's get her upstairs,” the Queen said.
But before anyone else could get close to her, Riku scooped her up into her arms and walked out the door. He could hear people following him, even telling him to slow down or he'll “trip and send her flying into a wall.” But he stalked up to the room she was staying in, ignoring them all the way, and then gently placed her on the large bed before stalking out of the room. He was so infuriated that he wanted to get far away from everyone before he hurt someone. Sora, Kairi, Daisy, Donald, and Goofy watched Riku leave the room for destinations unknown. Sora and Kairi made to go after him, but Daisy and Goofy gently held them back.
“But…but we need to figure out what's wrong with him! He's never like this!” Sora yelled to Goofy.
“Shh!” Daisy scolded as she looked over to a sleeping Iona. “She still needs her rest. Whatever's wrong with Riku can wait until after we make sure Iona's alright.”
Sora seemed incredibly irked, but after Kairi rested her small hand on his forearm, he noticeably relaxed. He sighed, shook his head, and turned to help the others. An hour later, everyone left Iona to sleep. Daisy determined that Iona's petite body was just shocked by the new power it held, and needed some time to adjust. How much time, no one was sure of. Sora and Kairi split away from Daisy, Donald, and Goofy to find their missing friend. After searching the Castle from the Gummi hanger to the highest turrets, they found Riku sitting on the banister of a balcony, leading off one of the main hallways.
“Riku?” Kairi said quietly, unsure of what mood he was in.
An angry Riku was not one to mess with.
“So, did he send her to her death?” was Riku's response.
“What? Who?” Sora asked stupidly.
“I can't believe someone so foolish could be made a King,” Riku went on, ignoring Sora's question.
Riku leapt off the ledge he was perched on and walked past his two friends, back into the Castle. Sora was angry that Riku was avoiding his and Kairi's question, and began to go after him. But Kairi grabbed his arm, not allowing him to continue.
“Huh?” Sora muttered, turning to Kairi.
“Just let him go, Sora; he's upset,” Kairi explained as she watched Riku disappear down the hall to who-knows where.
“But why is this upsetting him so much?” Sora asked.
“I can't believe you don't get it, Sora,” Kairi said. “Think about it.”
Sora took a minute to try and make the connection…and it finally hit him. When the King brought Iona back from whatever it was she encountered, she looked a lot like Kairi lying on the floor close to death in Hollow Bastion. It was like it was almost two years ago, all over again; when the Heartless were in total control.
“It reminds him of when he was in the Darkness, doesn't it?” Sora questioned.
“I think so,” Kairi responded as she looked over the balcony to the courtyard below. She watched as the reflections of some stars in the courtyard`s fountain slowly disappeared. “I mean, to think he just finally got out and now he's being reminded of when he was submerged. It must be awful.”