Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Kingdom Hearts: A New Threat ❯ Face Your Fears ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

 
 
 
A/N: I just wanted to thank everyone who has been reading this—I know the last few chapters were kinda dull, but I promise it'll get better! I also wanted to give a special shout out and a special thanks to the two people who have sent me very positive comments—Kair and silver_fox_fire. I greatly appreciate it…more than I could say, actually. Anywho, without further ado, here is chapter ten!
 
 
 
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~
 
 
 
 
Chapter 10:
“Why not?” Iona inquired.
“What he did last week…to you…he knew it would remind me of my time in the Darkness and he did it anyway! And I had just finally gotten over it…for the most part.”
“He did what he had to do,” Iona admitted as she leaned her back against the ledge. She was looking down at her bare feet and suddenly saw her Keyblade appear in her hand. “If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't have this.”
Iona handed it to Riku, knowing he wouldn't take off his blindfold. He ran his fingers over the cool metal.
“Wow,” he said, “that's one hell of a sword.”
“Yea,” Iona said a bit shocked as her Keyblade disappeared from Riku's hand and reappeared in hers. “Whoa.”
“You'll get used to it,” Riku said as his own Keyblade appeared.
Iona thought hard and willed her Keyblade to disappear for the time being. She then carefully pulled her small frame onto the ledge and swung her legs over the side so she was sitting right next to Riku. She looked down at the courtyard below and had to bite her tongue to keep from screaming.
She didn't like heights much.
“Riku?” she asked after a few moments of silence.
“Hmm?” was his only response.
“Why do you wear that blindfold?”
He sighed and hesitated before answering, “I don't want anyone to see.”
“See what?”
“The Darkness inside me, the horrible things I've done.”
“None of that was your fault! Xehanort took over you and manipulated you. You have no reason to hide your eyes from anyone.”
“Well I can't stand looking at myself, alright?” he said. “I can't stand looking at Sora or Kairi or…or you. It reminds me what I did; whether it was me doing it or not.”
“No one blames you, Riku,” Iona said, and then got the overwhelming urge to reach out and comfort him, but held back.
`Where did that come from?' she thought.
“You know where it came from,” a voice from beside her said.
She looked to her left and saw the blonde from before--Xonia. She looked back over at Riku, but his head was bowed.
“He can't hear me,” Xonia explained. “But unless you want him to think you've gone crazy, don't speak allowed; I can hear your thoughts.”
`Why are you here? When I'm awake?' Iona thought.
“I'm always here,” the girl explained, “its just that I stay hidden. I always have.”
`Why?'
“You didn't need me. You were handling your life perfectly well. But now, you need me, and you will often; so, I'll be here to help.”
`Why are you here now?'
“Well you want to know why you just felt like comforting Riku, right?”
`Yea; I didn't really understand that.'
“I guess you could say you two are like…kindred spirits.”
`Huh?'
“Its almost as if you two have the same soul. Well, not literally of course. What I mean is your souls are nearly identical; you could almost say they're intertwined in a way.”
Iona paused, trying to absorb all the information.
`Ok, I'm still not understanding you.'
“Do you remember how your parents were with each other? They fought, true, but it was like they were fated to be.”
Iona smiled discretely, `Yea. I always envied them, because it was so obvious they were each others' soul mates. Wait…does that mean you think Riku is my--?'
“I didn't say that!” Xonia cut Iona off. She groaned. “Ugh, I knew this would be hard to explain. Ok, um, do you have an attraction towards Riku?”
`What?! I barely know him!'
“Well I know that! But when you first met him, did you feel an attraction when you looked at him?”
Iona blushed, `Well, yea. He is very handsome.'
“Ok…just keep that in mind. And remember: Don't deny yourself anything.”
With the blink of an eye, Xonia was gone. Iona furrowed her brow, trying to figure out what just happened, but shook the thoughts away. She turned to Riku.
“You know,” she said, “it might help you get over what happened in the Darkness if you just took your blindfold off. You know, face your fears?”
“It's harder than people think it is,” he snapped defensively.
“I didn't say it'd be easy,” Iona said calmly, “I'm just saying that instead of giving up--”
“I'm not giving up!”
“--that you try something different. And hey, if it doesn't work, you can always put the blindfold back on.”
He sighed and nodded slightly, a sign that he would try. Iona reached up to untie his blindfold but hesitated when she remembered her manners.
“May I?”
He just nodded again. She carefully untied the black silk scarf, cautious not to pull his gorgeous silver hair.
`Gorgeous hair? What is going on with me?'
She ignored it and continued. Finally, the knot came free, and Iona gently pulled the scarf from Riku's eyes. Although she had seen them before, she couldn't help but gasp at how intensely blue they were.
“I knew you'd see it,” Riku said, misinterpreting Iona's gasp and reaching for his blindfold back.
“No,” she said, pulling it out of his reach, “I don't see any of that. It's just…nothing. That's just it--there's nothing but your eyes.”
`Good cover.'
Riku looked up at her and their eyes locked. Her heart started to pound so loud she was sure he could hear it. Her breathing got quick, and she could feel her skin get flushed. Riku must've noticed because he suddenly looked worried.
“Iona, are you alright? Do you need to lie back down?”
Iona laughed and shook her head, breaking eye contact, “Sorry, I'm ok. Just still tired from sleeping for a week…that doesn't make sense, does it?”
“I understand what you mean. Why don't I bring you back to your room so you can get more sleep?”
“Y-Yea, sure. Thanks.”
“Don't mention it,” Riku said as he stood on the ledge, turned and jumped onto the balcony.
He turned and reached out a hand to Iona, his Keyblade long since disappeared. Iona smiled and put her small, delicate hand into his larger, calloused one. He helped her down and supported her as they walked through the halls of the Castle. Iona didn't realize she had wandered so far from her room. Somewhere along the way, Iona's weak legs finally gave out, and Riku had to carry her the rest of the way. When they reached her room, they saw Kairi snuggled up on Sora's lap on a nearby overstuffed chair. Iona smiled at the sight.
“I always joked about them being in love with each other,” Riku whispered to her, “but it still surprises me to see them like this.”
“They do this a lot?”
“They do, but they don't realize it.”
Iona smiled, “I think it's sweet.”
Riku chuckled, making Iona turn to look at him. Their faces were incredibly close; if they were any closer…
“Um,” Iona said, “I guess you could put me down now.”
Riku nodded and carefully placed Iona on her bed.
“Just rest, ok? I'll see you when you wake up,” Riku said.
Iona was barely able to nod before falling into a deep sleep.