Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Rainbow ❯ Prolouge: Fall Through ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Kingdom Hearts I, II or CoM.
 
Warnings: Meh.
 
----
 
“Now, divide A by C, and you should get B…”
 
No. 1987MFB, who liked to call himself Riku, sighed, and slumped in his seat. He blinked his dull grey eyes, and pushed his shoulder length grey hair out of his face. He looked around his class, eyes falling upon his teacher, a woman with the grey eyes everyone here had, and her grey hair pulled up into a high bun. She wore the regulation grey uniform—a knee length skirt, stockings, high heels and a dress shirt—and on her nose perched a pair of grey glasses. The school uniform was a short grey skirt for the girls with a grey blouse, and grey slacks and a grey dress shirt for the boys. Grey shoes, grey glasses for those who needed them.
 
Every boy had the same shoulder length grey hair, and every girl had grey hair that flowed to her middle back, tied back in a ponytail at the back of the neck. They were scribbling away, writing what the teacher told them to write. No one dared talk, or whisper, or muck around. The classroom itself had fifty seats and desks, each in rows of ten, all grey, with a teachers desk, with exactly three pens, two pencils, a box of chalk and four binders placed on top of it. All were the required shade: grey. This whole world was grey.
 
“No. 1987MFB! Pay attention!” The teacher, No. 59TFFB, shouted. Her grey eyes didn't flash with anger, and her voice was devoid of any emotion. Riku laughed internally. They weren't allowed to show emotion. It went against rule No. 477; book No. 213Y, series No. AB8. He recited it mentally.
 
`Anyone who uses any emotion of any sort will be sent to detention centre YH95 for precisely two years.'
 
“Sorry, ma'am,” He said, hiding the mocking sneer. The teacher nodded, and turned back to her class. Riku wrote down what she had wanted them to write, answering the questions correctly when called upon, because if you answered them wrong you were in direct violation of three different rules, and went about his life as normal.
 
Then the bell rang at exactly 3:00pm—if it rang a minute before or minute after the head master would have broken rules No. 7955 and No. 12426—and everyone stood at exactly the same time, and left in a single, perfectly straight line. Then the children whose parents had been placed in the 23D district all caught the 3:15 bus, which would last for exactly 7.89 minutes, while the children who lived in the 26S district caught the 3:30 bus that lasted for 12.9 minutes.
 
Riku, though, lived in the 454L district. He walked home, taking 389 steps precisely. There was a grey little timer on his right ankle that counted them. If he was a step over, or a step behind, head quarter 88692S0H would be notified, and he'd spend a week in the local detention centre, having drugs injected into him to make him more obedient. And Riku didn't want that. He had had a friend, No.7858MFB, who had overstepped and been sent away. When he came back he had been completely ruined. No more silent smiles, or soft laughs. Just…nothing.
 
And there was no way Riku would let that happen to him.
 
So Riku walked forward, ignoring the grey little houses that lined the grey little street with it's grey little trees and grey little flowers that were all exactly the same and counted his steps.
 
`One step, two steps, three steps, four steps, five steps, six steps, seven steps, eight steps, nine steps…what's that?”
 
Riku stopped walking, setting off his timer, and blinked. He had reached the little grey bridge that went over the little grey river. But instead of the perfectly still waters, they were slightly choppy. The gentle waves splashed against the sides of the bank, sending the grey waterweeds whishing backwards and forwards. Riku's breath caught in his throat as he stared at the small spectacle in wonder. He'd never seen anything like that before. He turned, taking an extra and forbidden four more steps, and leaned over the side of the bridge. Down below a small girl, five years old, was splashing in the waves.
 
She must of have escaped from the child centre, where the rules and regulations were drilled into the children under nine, Riku realised, but… what was she wearing? A strange flowery vibrant dress stuck to her as she danced in the water, her soft funny coloured hair sopping wet. She wore no shoes, and her skin was darker than everyone else's. Riku had never seen such colours before. Once, when he had been little, he'd caught a glimpse at the sky while it was being repainted, but that was it. They were taught the basic colours in school, the forbidden colours. Riku saw that her hair was some shade of red, dark, and her eyes were a funny blue. Her dress was yellow with little green flowers.
 
She stood out like a sore thumb amongst the grey of the river, and then another coloured person joined her. He was around Riku's age, with spiky brown hair and eyes exactly the same colour as the uncovered sky. He wore a pair of dark pants, some sort of blue material, and a baggy red shirt. He was smiling brightly, and Riku realised how many rules they were breaking.
 
And how many he had just broken.
 
His eyes went wide, and a sense of panic flooded him. What should he do? Should he run? Should he say that he was trying to keep an eye on the coloured people for the police? That they had used their bright colours to blind his eyes?
 
Then he heard the three bleeps that signalled he'd been tracked. He whipped his head around, and saw the grey van come to halting stop on the other side of the bridge. Another parked on the opposite side to the first, effectively sealing Riku off. He was stuck.
 
He looked back down at the coloured people, and froze. The boy was standing there, holding the little girl's hand, staring up at him. Their eyes connected, and Riku heard the silent plea to jump. He nodded once, and threw off his carry bag. The men, all grey, who had piled out from the van were running towards him, clubs raised and shouting for him to stay still. But Riku climbed up on top of the bridge, and breathed in.
 
He then flung his arms out, and let himself fall forward.
 
It was exhilarating. Feeling the wind rush past his face, twisting and turning around him. He could feel his clothing change and move around his body, and he looked down, and saw he was wearing a baggy pair of blue pants, black, yellow and white sneakers, and a black zip up tank top. His hair had grown longer, and changed to a light shade - silver, his brain supplied and suddenly everything wasn't grey, but coloured. The boy and girl held their arms out, and Riku ploughed into them, and they all fell through a swirling mass of white.