Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Rainbow ❯ Chapter 2: Death of a World ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own Kingdom Hearts I, II or CoM. Tetsuya Nomura does.
 
Warnings: Meh.
 
-------
Riku trudged after Sora and Kairi, listening to their explanation of how things in this world worked.
 
“You see, Rainbow is kinda like a… crossroads. There are hundreds of worlds out there, each with their own path. These paths all cross here, in Rainbow. Because of that, we, the ones born here, have the ability to walk these paths. We're kinda like angels, in a way. It's our job to walk the paths and save people from pain and suffering and stuff. Those who deserve it, anyway. Others, who are threats to all the worlds, are sent to our sister realm, Kingdom Hearts, you see?
 
“Anyway, the people from your world, those from your `batch' were hurting so much it reflected here. You lot… are kinda like watered down versions of us, I think. We don't quite know yet, but Ansem the Wise is trying to figure out how it's possible. Anyway, the hurt you all felt caused Rainbow to dull. It's like you're all connected to the heart of this world. And since Rainbow is connected to other worlds, they were failing too. So we saved you all… but the world's keep failing in spite of that. We don't know what's wrong…”
 
Riku nodded, and murmured, “The world's are blinking out”
 
Sora paused, and looked over to him. His blue eyes reflected something unknown, and he smiled softly. “Yeah. They're dying”
 
Riku raised his eyes, and said, “And if the worlds die… what happens?”
 
Kairi looked up at the sky, the clouds trailing across it resembling her favourite sweet. “Then Rainbow will fall apart at the seams. The souls of the people will turn into dark energy… and then the whole universe will implode on itself. We'll all fade into nothingness…”
 
Riku stopped, and looked at Kairi. A small, sad smile was on her lips, and her purple-blue eyes were sparkling sadly. The wind blew across the field, causing her dress to float up around her. She looked so sad… suddenly a sharp, shooting pain shot through his chest, circling his heart. He gasped, doubling over. The pain was growing, throbbing and throbbing and Riku felt as though his chest was going to burst. He started to shiver, and then he fell forward. Sora let out a panicked shout, and he ran forward. He grabbed Riku, and started to ask what was wrong. But it sounded like he was talking through layers of fuzz, and Riku couldn't hear him.
 
Then a soft, clear song rang out, clearing away the pain and fuzz. Riku let out a relieved sigh, and went limp in Sora's arms. His limbs felt heavy, and the desperate need to sleep took over. He groaned lightly, and he swore he could see a male figure, an almost direct copy of him, leaning over Sora's shoulder, smiling slightly.
 
“You must resist the control and take us home” The boy said, and then everything went black.
 
---
 
“Master Xehanort… another one from batch FB-7 has been found dead. No. 1987MFB. The Infiltrator”
 
A tall man with dark skin and amber eyes stood in front of a large window overlooking the grey, dull capital city of his world. His long grey hair covered his face as he murmured, “Thank you, Ienzo. You may go now”
 
A small teenager with slate blue hair nodded, and left the large room, his boots clicking gently against the tiled floor. When he left, Xehanort smirked, and muttered, “So you finally infiltrate Rainbow”
 
He turned, and strode from the room, which was empty save for a large chair, and through to a silver door. He placed his hand against it, and it opened with a whoosh. He walked though it, and down the stairs. He soon arrived in a larger room; this one lit an eerie green. Large tubes sat positioned around the room, each filled with a glowing green substance.
 
In some various creatures slept, black and with antennae, curled up in a tight ball. Xehanort smirked, and walked over to an arrangement of empty ones. Six lined one side, while another six lined the other. They were connected at the points by another one, creating a V-shape. In the centre of the arrangement was another one. They weren't green, but filled with a thick, gluggy black liquid. The first thirteen ones had small, twisted up shapes, all of various colours inside them, while in the centre one had a small, red heart sat floating in the centre, flashing gold. Xehanort grinned as he watched the heart throb, and murmured, “So your heart has already connected to Rainbow? Wonderful”
 
Chuckling, he then ran his hand over the piece of raised flat plastic that sat before the tube, reading the words his hand uncovered.
 
Batch No. FB-7
 
No. 1987MFB
 
Mix:
 
HUMAN DNA
 
CHILD OF DARKNESS DNA
 
HEARTLESS blood type AB22
 
RAINBOW heart fragment
 
DNA Used: No. 00000001MAB
 
DNA Used: Kruix
 
KINGDOM HEARTS impure darkness
 
CODENAME: Infiltrator
 
PURPOSE: To---
 
“Master Xehanort, we have a few trouble makers from detention centre 223YHO… do you wish to see them?”
 
Xehanort whipped his head up, and his amber eyes fell upon boy with red hair that been tied back. His eyes were golden yellow, his stature tall and lanky. Xehanort growled, and hissed, “I thought I told you to never enter here, Ela”
 
The boy started, and his eyes widened in fear.
 
“I… I'm… sorry… I apologize, Master Xehanort. I forgot, it'll never happen again” Ela stuttered, fear evident in his voice. Xehanort snorted, and stalked up to him. He grabbed his arm, and dragged him from the room, all the while saying, “I think you need some time in the discipline hall”
 
Thoughts of electric chairs and torture devices filled Ela's head, and he started to struggle against his master's grip. Xehanort growled again, and turning around slapped Ela hard across the cheek, before throwing him to the floor.
 
“Do not struggle, or I'll have to kill you, Ela” Xehanort hissed, kicking the boy in the side. Ela coughed, and nodded shakily. Xehanort smirked, and strode off, leaving the boy on the floor.
 
“Ela!”
 
The redhead looked up, smiling weakly when he saw his two friends come rushing into the room.
 
“Oh, you went in the room again, didn't you?” Aros demanded, his bright yellow eyes wide with worry. Ela sighed, and sat up, hissing through his teeth at the pain in his side. He looked over at Aros, taking in the shorter boy's spiky black hair and golden eyes, and his blue-black skin. Next to him stood they're older friend, Kruix. Kruix had short, cropped silver hair, and eyes that were constantly changing colour. He was Xehanort's favourite, being the most powerful out of his servants.
 
“You should stop being so forgetful, Ela” Kruix murmured, before holding out a hand to him. Ela gratefully took it, and was pulled to his feet. He stumbled to the side a bit, but Aros hastily rushed up to him and allowed him to lean on him.
 
“I'll try to remember that next time,” Ela muttered, before frowning.
 
“Are you alright?” He asked Kruix, realising that his friend's eyes were flashing from aquamarine to gold. Kruix looked away, and muttered, “He has made contact with the heart. And Sora”
 
Aros visibly stiffened and he whispered, “Does… does that mean we'll be able to go home soon?”
 
Kruix looked at his younger friend, and nodded.
 
“Yes. We'll be able to return to the Darkness”
 
---
 
“Kruix, hurry up!”
 
“Yeah, you moron! We promised to meet Myde and Ienzo at the beach!”
 
Riku stared at the people in front of him. Did he know them? And why were they calling him Kruix?
 
“I'm coming, dimwit!” He felt himself call out… except that he wasn't… him. He looked around, and took in his surroundings. Wherever he was… it was dark.
 
“Kruix!”
 
He looked back at the others, and started. Almost direct replicas of Sora and Axel were standing before him. Sora, though, was seemingly covered in some blue-black substance that dripped from him, and Axel's hair was shorter, and his eyes were yellow. Sora's were, too, he realised.
 
What?
 
“Just… a second, guys… I feel kinda funny…” He murmured, before waking up.
 
---
 
Riku woke to the sound of gentle murmurs. He cracked open an eye, and winced from the bright light. He groaned, alerting those in the room with him to his state of consciousness.
 
“Brother!”
 
His eyes snapped open at that, and Riku sat bolt upright. His eyes swept over the yellow painted room, which contained a bed, a chair and a small table and landed upon a tall boy with blue eyes and spiked blonde hair. He was wearing a pair of long black pants and a black sleeveless turtle neck top. Riku blinked, wondering briefly who it was.
 
The boy seemed to realise Riku's confusion, because he said, grinning, “It's me, Cloud!”
 
He then pointed to the other three people in the room.
 
“That's Leon” He grinned, motioning to a tall brunette with shoulder length layered hair and steel-blue eyes wearing lots of shiny, tight looking clothing. “Sephiroth” A man who looked like an older version of him, just with longer hair and greener eyes dressed in a pair of dark blue pants a long-sleeved white top. “And Zack” A Cloud look-alike, save his hair was black, dressed in jeans and a blue dress shirt.
 
Riku nodded slowly, wincing. Why was everything so bright?
 
He squinted, and bought his hands up to his eyes in an attempt to shield them from the intense light. Cloud didn't seem to have noticed, because suddenly Riku was pulled into a hug, strong arms wrapping around his shoulders.
 
“We were so worried about you!” The blonde announced, pressing a soft kiss to Riku's forehead. Riku blinked, and then wrapped his arms around Cloud. He buried his head into the firm chest, a feeling of security washing over him. Everything was alright now. His family was here.
 
“Oh, you're awake!”
 
Riku peeked over Cloud's shoulder, smiling slightly when Sora pranced into the room. He withdrew from Cloud's embrace, and waved at the smaller boy.
 
“Yeah. Sorry about… whatever happened…” He murmured. Sora snorted, and flopped down onto the bed. He lay back over Riku's legs, and he said, “Bah. You just fainted, that's all. Nothing to it. Anyhow… you feel up to walking, yet? I gotta get ya signed in”
 
Riku nodded, and looked up at the others. Cloud was smiling broadly, leaning on Leon. The taller brunette gave him a slight smile, before ushering the others out. Zack waved to him, before allowing Sephiroth to drag him out. Said silverette looked at Riku, and said, “We'll talk later”
 
“Yeah” Riku agreed, and he watched as Sora suddenly jumped from his position and started to search around the room.
 
“What are you looking for?” Riku asked him, smiling again when Sora stood back from the table with an `Aha!'. He then spun around and held out a pair of pants and a shirt.
 
Sora's eyes sparkled happily as he said, “Can't have you walking around naked, right?”