Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Were You a Dream? ❯ Chapter 1

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Were You a Dream?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Raindrops fall onto my face and roll down over my closed eyes. Memories of you spin around me, yet never repeating themselves.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Aquamarine eyes lock onto my cloudy blues as you saunter over to me. Cupping my cheek in your hand, you smile, "Will you go out with me tonight Zexion?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I lean back against a pole as I gaze at the buildings surrounding me. Residents dash by me trying to get away from the storm. None of them pay me the least bit of attention. Pushing my petite frame back into motion, I open my eyes to the gray clouds and wet world laid out before me. I begin my walk to my next destination where you might possibly be.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

You pull me through the dancing crowd and to the nearest blinking red exit sign. Holding me to the worn brick wall, you gently smash your lips against mine. I tangle my hands in your long silvered tresses while you continue to ghost kisses over my neck. "I've loved you for a long time Zexy. I know you've felt the same way." Putting a gap between us, you lead me to your motorcycle. You slip on as I sit down behind you. I wrap my arms securely around your waist, knowing exactly what I've let this lead to.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The corners of my eyes itch as tears leak out, mixing with the cascading rain. Digging my hands deep into my black jacket's pockets, I turn another bend. Transitioning from pavement to sand, I begin toward the water.

The rain washes away my tracks as I walk. Sitting down in the mud, wave after wave cuts around me, soaking me from the waist down, just as my top half already is.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I wake to an empty bed. You're gone so soon as if I had dreamt the whole magical evening I had with you. You'd broke me out of my shell and loved me just as I have secretly loved you. Roboticly, I yank on my black jeans and shirt from the previous night. Leaving my hotel room at Destiny Islands Luxury, I let my feet take me away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Something stops the gentle pelting of icy liquid and I glance over my shoulder to see worried eyes as blue as a calm, sunny ocean.

"We've been looking everywhere for you Zexy. I'll call Axel to come and pick us up."

As he talks to Axel, he runs a hand through his fluffed rose hair. He snaps the phone shut and slips it into his back pocket. "Marluxia...sorry..."

Marluxia simply smiles, "I'm just glad you're okay."

Marluxia helps me to my feet and over to the beach's parking lot. We stop by an idling dark red truck. As if he were my mother, Marluxia encircles me in a towel before shooing me into the backseat, where I sit down on yet another towel so I don't ruin the material.

Axel swivels around in his seat. He almost looks like his brother, Reno, now; sporting a violet reverse teardrop under each emerald eye, long spiked crimson hair in a low ponytail, and a single silver hoop dangling from his ear.

"You okay there Zexion?" I only bow my head shamefully. "It's okay you can tell us once we get back to the hotel."

Axel kept to his word, neither him nor Marluxia questioned me on the way to my room. After a quick yet lazy shower, I dress into onyx slacks and a white T-shirt. I fall down onto the edge of the bed with Marluxia beside me and Axel in front on the floor.

He grins, encouragingly, "Alright fill us in on the details."

With a heavy sigh I begin, "While you two were on your date, I went to the beach. Riku found me there and took me out to a club. It's been...four years since we had last seen each other at graduation. I should have never come back."

Marluxia wraps his arm around my shoulders, granting me a tight half-hug. "Don't say that."

Axel climbs to his feet. "Tell me who one night stood you." I shift my eyes to my coal scoffed boots. "It's that boy you liked isn't it? That rich punk Riku Reimei isn't it? Tell me Zexion, tell me he did it, because if he did it again he'll hear from me!"

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Striding through the empty school halls I stop at my locker. Everyone had already left over half an hour ago but due to my "over achievements" I got kept after for the decision of letting me be valedictorian. I should be happy but you still don't notice me the way I wish you would.

Slamming my locker shut I spin around but instead of heading home I run into a person much taller than me. Tilting my head up I intend to challenge the ignorant person but instead I see you.

A smirk dances on your thin lips, "Sorry 'bout that, didn't think you were in a hurry...Zexy."

"Excuse me?"

"That's what your friends call you, is it not?"

I break away from your enchanting gaze and down to my fallen books. "Yes."

My back is shoved into the light blue lockers behind me. I shiver against the metal's cool touch seeping through my thin uniform. You press up against me a plant a meaningful peck on my forehead. Lifting my hands up as best as I can, I place them on your chest to give myself some space.

Your confused eyes bore down into me, "Please tell you feel the same way." I merely stare at you, not trusting myself to utter a word. "Zexion, after graduation we...we can get away from all this...stereotyping and disappear from their radar, just you and me."

An unknown emotion of hope picks at me, "You mean it?"

"Every word...it's a promise. I'll always come back to you."

Your arms pull me closer and I collapse into your warm embrace. I inhale your scent of the ocean before letting you capture my lips.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Placing my head in my hands I listen to the door slamming shut. Marluxia rubs circles on my back, "Axel won't fight him like last time, he promised. Now lay down and I'll be back soon."

As Marluxia leaves as well I crash back on the bed and stare at the ceiling, letting the darkness of sleep cushion me back into the past.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Sora's chestnut hair spikes every which way as he smiles unlimited kindness at me. His long time boyfriend, Roxas, stands next to him with his blonde hair defying gravity. Both sets of azure eyes cast on me as I approach the lunar haired male beside them.

I fiddle with my valedictorian sash, "Riku?" Your back stays facing me. Nervous, I try once more. "Um, Riku?"

Thankfully your eyes meet mine. "What do you want?"

I quirk an eyebrow, like my question clearly isn't obvious? Axel's hand falls on my shoulder, "Look here Reimei, I don't appreciate you screwing around with his feelings."

Roxas steps in front of Sora, "What are you talking about Axel?"

Marluixa's presence appears behind me, giving me the strength I need for the moment. "You said you loved me and after graduation we'd be together." Bitter feelings rise up inside me, pulling out my ever growing doubt of you. "Or was that another one of your lies just to get in someone's pants?"

Hurt flushes your features but you hide it from the growing crowd of people easily. "For such a genius, you're dim Zexion."

Your words cut like a knife, meaning or not they sting. At that point your eyes widen as Axel pounces.

My redheaded friend slams you to the ground. "I should burn that pretty little face of yours."

You don't respond to Axel's threat, only try to shove him off of you. His fist slams into your cheek but no mark remains there.

Anger flare through me at the fact that someone, no matter who, has laid a hand on you. I grab Axel's shoulder in a vice-like grip. "Stop it Axel. Don't you ever touch him again." I hear myself demanding coldly. Taken aback, my friends mutter a promise and lead me away.

Later that week the three of us moved into a small apartment in Twilight Town.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

"Wake up Zexy." Fingers trail through the bangs falling over the right side of my face. "Don't you want to see me? I'm sorry I left."

I crack my eyes open to lose myself in glimmering blue-green eyes. "So is it a lie?"

You lift me onto your lap. "Terribly sorry I disappeared. Sora fell down the stairs and had to get a cast. Roxas needed my help."

A chuckle slips between my lips. "How did he do that?"

"Trying to serve Roxas in bed."

Our laughs echo off he walls. I can't remember the last time I've laughed like this. I link my arms behind your neck and press my lips to yours. "I love you Riku."

"I love you too...and...I'm sorry I pushed you away. I won't ever do it again. I won't...let anyone get in the way of our relationship."

"Who stopped you?" says the curious side of me.

"My father said I couldn't ever be with you. But I moved out only to find you gone. I couldn't get a hold of you to tell you the plan or what was up so I waited."

A smirk dances on my countenance, "That's fine with me."

We fall back in the sheets with long putt off passion unfolding between us.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*