Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Were You a Dream? ❯ Chapter 8

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Were You a Dream?
Chapter 8
 
Demyx returns quickly and panting while carrying an armful of artillery. I'm handed a belt with a sword and gun in it while Riku acquires a sniper rifle onto his back. Demyx hands over Squall's Gunblade and Cloud's Buster Sword. With everyone equipped I quirk an eyebrow, “Um…Demyx, did you happen to spot any guards?”
 
The question apparently triggers something in his brain that he had meant to tell us. “Oh yeah, I saw about a dozen or more!”
 
Sighing I swiftly turn down the corridor we had taken to arrive. “Then we'll just have to run. Demyx kept our backs shielded with a water shield just in case.”
 
Riku stays in front of me as we run through the building. Shouting can be heard from all around us due to the effect of the stone used to build this prison. As we begin out into the open ground before the tree line, bullets dig themselves into the dirt around us. Clearly they suspected our plan and know exactly how to counter certain magic…using specialized magic shells.
 
Nonetheless, if our pace doesn't quicken then Demyx will get hurt and we'll all fall in sync. Digging my heels in I swivel around. Confused Riku does so as well while Squall and Cloud stop after passing us.
 
“What are you doing Zexion?”
 
I glance at the King and shrug, “Not exactly sure. Demyx will take you both to the rendezvous point while I handle these fools.” Demyx accepts his task and rushes the two along. “Staying with me are you?”
 
“I told you I would protect you.”
 
“Then stand behind me and no buts.”
I throw the sword into the air along with the gun and they hold their places while my translucent barrier holds until the buffoons can find a pellet for this spell. As the sword busies itself taking the hits, the gun spins as it fires off, always making its mark.
 
“Do you know any spells by chance, maybe one that will help us escape?”
 
“Leave it to me.”
 
Within a few moments, smoke fills my eyes as a hand grasps my wrist, pulling me along. I lower the weapons and force them back into their places as we zigzag around trees and puddles. Hollers seem distant know that we're beyond the inhabitable part of this swamp.
 
“Do you know where we're going?”
 
“No but it'd be better to stop and rest. It's getting dark anyway.”
 
Not that much light can shine through to begin with.
 
Finding solid un-muddied ground he sits down to lie underneath a haven of fallen logs that happened to fall against living ones…making a sort of cave. I bend down and curl up next to him. “They won't find us this far out. It's not like under paid guards to actually go out of the boundaries to search for two boys.”
 
“Unless, they decided to go after Demyx since he has the King and the Knight.”
 
“Why so formal?”
 
“It's prop-”
 
Soft lips crash into my own and cut me off. Giving into him completely, I melt like ice on a hot summer day. Fingers tighten around my waist as we pull each other closer until it almost hurts. I push Riku away lightly and cuddle against him. “Get some sleep Zexion. I'll keep watch.” Easing my breathing, I drift into sleep, realizing that I am tired.
 
^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^_^
 
The back of my skull cracks against something hard…I think a rock. Opening my eyes I'm confused by the scene before me. Riku is being shoved face first into the earth with men surrounding his thrashing frame. His aquatic eyes widen in fear as they turn there attention towards me as the groan inevitably escapes my dry lips.
 
Scrambling to my feet I feel myself sway as my vision swims. “Zexion, would you just get out of here!”
 
I duck and roll and avoid being tackled by one of the guards. Before the next can think I summon illusions of myself around them. They may not be able to hurt them but it sure as hell will drive them crazy. While they're all distracted, I hurry over to Riku and cast a binding spell on the pair of men standing beside him. I untie the rope and grab his hand before glancing back. My illusions are working perfectly, just as I remember.
 
Riku squeezes my hand, “Thanks for not listening to me. But from now on promise that the other will run so we can get back to the group. We do no good if we're all captured.”
 
I shrug, “Promise.” Stopping behind a tree we take a breather. “Which way is the exit?”
 
His lips flip into a frown as he surveys the scenery. It all looks the same. “Let's go that way. Throw those idiots off too.”
 
Turning off to the right I break back into a jog until I slam straight into another barrier. Moaning in agony I let Riku help me to my feet.
 
“Can you break this one?”
 
“What kind of question is that?”
 
“It's a life or death question.”
 
“What do you think Riku, I did the last one.” I swivel around to continue but immediately lose my words. Instead I let a smirk curl the corner of my mouth.
 
Spikes of ice sprout from the ground and instantly kill the royal guards surrounding my beloved. “Well get going Riku. I'll catch up.”
 
The silveret takes off and out of my sight as I face the opposite way. More royal fellows approach me. I whisk my spell book out of thin air and begin chanting under my breath, knowing most of them by heart. Fire surrounds the group of them and I smile triumphantly.
 
Preparing to leave, myself, a hand grips my forearm and hauls me up onto the saddle of a horse. “I didn't think that I'd find you here Zexion. It truly has been too long. You'll have to tell me all about it on the way back.”