Kingdom Hearts Fan Fiction ❯ Were You a Dream? ❯ Chapter 7

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Were You a Dream?
Chapter 7

The grassy plains seem to stretch out in every direction. Specks of civilization appear too far out to even be considered able to spot. Behind me I hear Roxas groan.

"Couldn't you have gotten us any farther than this?"

I roll my eyes and continue toward the swamp where a mist seems to hang around it like a shawl on a woman's shoulders. Riku's hand grips my mine tight and stops me before I can get anywhere. "Where are you going Zexion?"

"I told you...I know where the rightful King is. I'm not fit to be a Prince...I'm only a spell caster...a wizard...nothing more...I'm...I'm not royalty. I'm leaving to find him whether you all are coming or not."

Luxord smirks at me, pride wrote into his features, "About time this got better. Riku you take Demyx and follow Zexion. Sora and Roxas will come with me where we'll hide out in our base till you meet us there with the King."

Riku nods and Demyx, breaks away from Luxord to, follow beside me. As we enter the dark bog I glance back, but am unable to see a thing. Beside me Demyx visibly shudders at the creepiness of it. "Okay so let's get him and get out."

I glance at him and sigh. This freaks him out even more, his mind going straight to all the bad possibilities. "Wait, you do know where you're going, right Zexy?"

"Yes."

I begin to step carefully on fallen logs and solid ground. All has gone well until a splash is heard and I zip around. Riku steadies my balance as he shakes his head. "It's no one on their side."

Wailing in despair Demyx pops out of the water and grasps onto Riku's ankle. "Agh! This is filth! Help me please!"

Unable to stop the laugh building inside me, I let the chuckles escape me. After performing the tedious task of hauling Demyx out of the bog, the blonde stomps over to me like an infuriated child. The anger in his ocean eyes is more than apparent and I take a safe step back.

Instead of being able to get away I bump into some type of force field. Turning around I ignore Demyx completely as I lay my hands against it.

"You're not listening to me Zexy! You don't care do you?"

I turn back to him, "I care Demyx but you see you've helped me discover the barrier that hides the King and his warrior."

Smiling to myself, I face the invisible force and begin chanting.

I remember that when the Queen died, it was a horrible month filled with disease that no one could cure. The King was devastated and could not be consoled. Following her death he went out in search for a knight to protect him from any force that threatened his life. He had taken his advisor, Sephiroth, and Father brought me along as well.

During that week at the camp where the knights were trained, rebels broke in, in an attempt to take the King hostage and as they had said "reason with him". One of the young men stood by the King while they attacked. Once the rebels were either killed or arrested, the youth had received quite the beating. They came to take him to a bed where he would most likely die, they said with dignity since the wounds were too bad.

But...I saw the way that the King looked at the man and I knew Father could do nothing so I took it upon myself. I stopped the officials and knelt down beside the knight. As I began to cure him with my spells he had slipped into unconsciousness. Later, he was taken to a proper room in the palace where I continued to treat him. While I was not in there healing him and no duties where there for the day, the King would sit in a chair by his bedside and watch him sleep. He told no one except me that he would whisper to the man, coaxing him to heal and wake up. A half-month time passed and indeed he woke up and became the knight the King wanted.

It shatters like glass but no residue from it remains as I step over the threshold. Riku grasps my wrists and yanks me back just as a dart whistles by my ear. Riku shoves me into Demyx's arms as twin katanas appear in his hands. Spinning them in front of his body he moves deeper into the marsh. The pings of metal bouncing off metal and the dull thud of wood snapping echoes off the water and trees and into our ears.

Finally silence comes and Riku reappears with not a scratch on him. "They're all dead out here so we'd better move inside."

Astonished Demyx gapes at the silveret, "There's a building! In this place?"

"Yes now hurry before they figure it out and cut us off."

Moving forward I don't even realize that Demyx had pulled out dual pistols...I'm the only one without a weapon. The small stone structure sits on firmly packed cinder blocks that are embedded into the mushy earth. Riku and Demyx push it open and I follow their lead into the dimly lit corridor.

As we slowly make progress realization comes that we're getting close to that area were they are being held. Riku's pace slows as he peers around a dark corner. Demyx takes the lead and stops before a door. He motions for us and we hurry to him, eager to get out of here.

Bolts force the door shut and padlocks cling to them, making it almost impossible to get through. Water bubbles into my palm as I force it to cover each lock. From the look in his eyes, I know that Demyx can work elemental magic over water...but he has his hands full.

Once the metal has official become corroded and rusted, Riku whacks it with the hilt of his sword. Muttering a levitating spell on the pieces before they hit the floor, I save us the noise and interruption it could pose.

The heavy door is shoved open and I stride inside. A candle dances in the darkness as its fumes drift up to the barred window. Sending out flames to the candles on the chandelier above, it lights the room. A figure shrouded in a dark blue coat sits on the ground with chains extending to the shackles on his wrists and ankles. A tray with a bowl and cup on top lie toppled on its side.

Kneeling down beside the man I push back the hood and let the healing spell flow from my lips. A soft green light erupts around him as unseen wounds seal up. Soft ruffled strands fall shorter than I remember while the bangs still shape his strong face. The mark Father gave him didn't heal. The scar runs from his eyebrow to the bridge of his nose. I lightly touch his hand and immediately stormy orbs reveal themselves to me.

“Your Highness; we’ve come to rescue you and restore you to your throne.”

“There…is no hope…” his broken voice seems to break me as well. “Sephiroth…has won.”

“Father will step down or be killed. Please allow me to take you back after I’ve done so much wrong. Let it be my retribution to assist you in putting these adversaries in their place.”

“Zexion…how did you get back here? Where are Axel and Marluxia?”

“I…I think that they do not understand what they are doing. The rebels that kidnapped Sora were telling the truth when they wanted to talk of peace. The people do not know that it was Father that ordered those bandits to take you and your knight into this place. They’re trying to restore everything to its rightful place.”

“Understood…But…have you found any others here yet?”

“We came strictly for you first, Sir.”

He shows me a smile that only a few get the privilege of seeing. “Good now go get any others, I’ll be fine.”

Standing I move back out the door and direct my attention to Demyx, “The King is fully healed now to my knowledge. Get the shackles off of him. I’m taking Riku to find the knight. Can you take care of that?”

“Yup!” he bounds off into the cell and begins working his own magic.

Riku follows close behind me as I search out for any vibrations of that certain energy. I cease walking by the time I come to the last door. I repeat the steps I did earlier and Riku smashes the now useless metal. This time I forget to catch them as they clang to the ground.

I rush inside and hurry to the man chained to the wall. Dull blue eyes gaze hopelessly at me as I stare at the restraints that reach above my head.

Curse my being short!

I don’t get a chance to think about it as my feet leave the ground as I’m hoisted upon Riku’s shoulder. “Just work fast.”

“Am I too heavy for you Riku?”

“Nah I just don’t think I could fight the guards that are probably coming with you on my shoulder.”

“So I’m a risk?” I shoot back as I cut through the iron.

“I…shut up.”

The rest of the scraps crash to the dirt floor as he runs a freed pale hand through short blond spikes, “Thanks Zexion…I guess I owe you one.”

“You owe me nothing. You saved my but from Sephiroth too many times to count.”

Riku stares at the blond knight as he drops me into his arms. “Who are you?”

Dusting himself off, he doesn’t even glance at Riku, “The King’s knight, Cloud. Now if you both don’t mind, Zexion should be taking me to his Majesty now.”

Flushing as Riku refuses to put me down, he takes me back to the King’s room. The blond rebel is just helping him to his feet as we enter. Cloud shrugs by us and drops to his knees before him, “You should have my life for not being able to protect you.”

Riku gestures for Demyx to come over, which he does. “Go get their weapons…and us some more.”

“They have two large swords,” I add in.

Turning back to the King and his knight I watch in awe as he levels himself with Cloud. The King takes Cloud chin in his hand and stares deep into those blue orbs. A feather like kiss brushes Cloud’s lips. The blonde sighs, “I’m sorry Squall…I’ll never let my guard down like that again…I love you too much.”

“I know Cloud. I love you too.”

Biting my lip I lean back into Riku’s arms, effectively gaining his attention. Leaning down, his stray bangs fall onto my face. Soft flower like lips press against my own, before he smiles against my ear, “I’ll protect you just as good as he’ll protect his love.”