Kirby: Right Back At Ya! Fan Fiction ❯ Not a Self Help (Help Me Help You) ❯ Fly into Obscurity ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
A few days and 2 Nightmare Beast attacks later, Meta, Fumu, and Kirby were at Kabu Canyon for another morning of training. "Ok, we're going to do something a little different this time," Fumu said as she picked up Kirby. Meta Knight extended his wings, and Fumu put the pink one on his back. "See what you can do with some extra weight." Kirby Poyo'd and bounced a little. "Now, hold as still as you can, Kirby," she said and took a few steps back. Fortunately, the blue knight had been practicing, though not so much with his arms. The stronger flaps took a lot of pressure off that part, and he could even go faster than last time. "Kirby, brace yourself," he suddenly said and took both of them into the air. Fumu smiled up to them and waved in a congratulatory manner. "That's so awesome, Sir Meta Knight!" she called up to them.

He felt that warmth inside him again - that strange feeling that only she could give him. She looked so happy, and she was happy for him! He glided into a surprisingly smooth turn for someone who hasn't flown in a while. "Poyo! Poyo!" Kirby cheered, but staying still as Fumu instructed. Meta Knight brought them back down when he felt the canyon's winds pick up too much to keep a smooth glide. He also made a better landing which Kirby could appreciate. "That was wonderful!" Fumu pumped her fist in a whole new determination. "Ok, now we can see how far you'll be able to go down, up and cross! I have the utmost faith in you!" Meta and Fumu went to the top of the canyon with Wind Kirby again waiting to assist below. He looked at her with a silent nod and jumped down flapping his sizable navy blue wings. He made it down carefully while Kirby Poyo'd happily for him. "Now, I'll go back up. You're on standby Kirby," he informed the pink windy one. The baby star warrior nodded with a determined face. Meta Knight flapped with much less strain and got back to Fumu on his own without Kirby's help. "Well, there you go," Fumu said putting her hands on her hips. "Now for the across!" she said pointing to the top of Kabu. "Are you ready?" she asked and he took position. "Alright! Go for it!" she cheered, and he took off. Kirby saw the winged knight drop slightly and shoot a wind blast to his side. It took him up in the air more than initiated, but the flying puffball straighten himself out and made it to the top of Kabu safely.

Both of them cheered for Meta Knight's advancement. Before they known it the knight had taken off again, this time feeling more of a rush! He had to try something fancy now, to see if he could make it... And, maybe impress Fumu more. He started out forward but took a sharp turn upward and when he was almost out of sight did a flip. As he was going for a landing next to Fumu his left wing decided it was too much too soon, and suddenly fell limp. "Wha--!" He felt his wing suddenly got numb and his eyes glowed white. "Oh no! Kirby!" Fumu called down to it, and Kirby expended the wind head to catch Meta Knight in it! He landed in a spin next to the pink warrior and sat there in shock. "Poyo-kay?" it meekly asked. "Kirby, I'm about to jump! Catch me!" Fumu called down and followed up on her word. Kirby did the same as it just did for Meta Knight, but she landed much less softly. She crawled over to the elder warrior's side and put a head on the top of him. "Are you ok, Sir Meta Knight?" His functional wing twitched before he looked down with dark blue and dark green flashing in his visor. "I can't feel my other wing," he said softly. "Can you... turn you wings back into your cape?' A moment passed then his shook "no". "Well, that flip was great. You just may have over done it. But, you did it!" she commented trying to stay upbeat about the situation. Kirby's wind ability was dispelled by the time it finally poyo'd trying to help Fumu stay positive about the outcome. "Let's take another few days off, ok?" she suggested. He got back on his feet and nodded. He wasn't nearly as hurt by the failed wing. He just made a total ass out of himself in front of Fumu! This put a much bigger dent in his proud than anything else would.

"That's enough for now," she said and picked up the limp wing. "Tell me when you feel something." The young non-warrior softly rubbed his wings up to the back joint, and he twitched when he felt the joint part. They all made their way inside Kabu as it looked like this might take a while. Fumu packed some snacks for the day, but she had to run out to get some solid food for them. As night fell Meta Knight became more concerned about the younger 2. "Shouldn't you both be heading home. I'll be fine here," was what he said as the first time he spoke in hours. "No, I can camp here. How about you, Kirby?" The little star warrior "poyo'd" loyally. "Sir Meta Knight!" Sword and Blade called down to him in unison. They ran over to him before anything else could be said, but stopped in their tracks when they were close enough to see his large wings they thought was a new longer cape, at first. "Sir Meta Knight...," Sword gasped as they both came closer.

Fumu started to get up to block their way, and Meta nodding that this was ok. "He's healing right now," Fumu said to them, and they looked over to her, and back to him. "One of my wings fell limp and it's been numb for a while. My other wing is sore," he told them. "Is there anything you need?" Blade asked. "Not right now," he answered. They then sat on both side of him, without anything farther to say.

Everyone fell asleep at some point wishing they had brought some sort of bedding. Meta Knight awoke after a while and looked at everyone still sleeping. He bit his lower lip as he tuned into watching Fumu sleep. Sword and Blade were still right next to him, so he didn't risk moving and waking them up. "I have to watch her from a distance, as always," he thought becoming depressed. Her hair was getting dirty from the only option being that it lay on the ground as she slept but she had her backpack under her head, at least. She was balled up being the least natural Thermal or clothed on the group. It made the knight upset to see her suffering for his foolishness.

The next morning Sword and Blade awoke to see Meta sleeping next to Fumu on the bare floor, with a wing over her. They looked over to each other knowingly and went to his side. "Sir Meta Knight," Sword softly called to him and he stirred. "It would be best if we left now," Sword continued. Meta slowly got up and flapped both his wings before they retracted to cape form. Fumu woke up from missing the warmth, and feeling the wind move from the flap. She sat up and rubbed her eyes before she looked over to a knocked out Kirby. "We should return to the castle now," Blade said to her and she nodded. The yellow lady picked up her bag and Kirby before they silently headed back. "I'm glad you're feeling better," Fumu said when she was awake enough. "Thank you, Fumu," Meta replied as they entered the stone building. She didn't seem any the wiser about what he had done while she was sleeping, and he felt it was best that way.

It was a while before they talked again. Even after Kawasaki’s business boom was over and Fumu had more time Meta Knight made himself less seen. She figured it was best leave it alone, always having the date with the fish incident to fall back on when it came to most things in the subject of the opposite gender. Not to mention her air-headed father, rough neck brother, and Kirby…. Maybe Kirby... Still not sure about that one. Honestly, her father was more than just “decent” and everyone has their pros and cons. But when it came to Meta Knight he just had too much to him. Secretive; probably carried a lot baggage from his time actively in the rebellion; probably done some things he wasn’t proud of as a lot of soldiers do - or maybe he was proud of those things, to a degree; and sometimes he was too aloof to be understandable. But now she was seeing a different side of him. The learning and listening side wasn’t that bad to deal with. When this was over would anything change between them, or would they just go back to the way things were? When it came to being serious the knight was clear on what he had to say, but she already knew she wouldn’t be in the mood for pulling teeth to get him to say anything else.

It was 3 months and 4 demon beasts until their next meeting at Kabu Canyon. “We’ve all been pretty busy, haven’t we?” Fumu said as her greeting, walking up behind Kirby and Meta Knight. “Yes, we have,” he agreed with a nod. “I trust you’ve still been practicing, so let's see what we’ll be working for today,” Fumu said sitting her pack down. "Yes, the wing ups have been very effective,” he replied as his cape took the form of noticeably stronger and larger wings. Fumu and Kirby were in awe as he took flight on his own and being to circle over them in a smooth glide. He made an attempt at a directional push, but landed when his wings didn’t cooperate. “That’s excellent!” Fumu exclaimed as Kirby poyo’d with joy. “Not quite,” the blue one stated, rubbing the bottom of his mask. “I have to successfully take direction flight.” “Hmm… What can we do about that?” Fumu thought aloud. She walked over to his side and started looking at the wings more closely. She didn’t feel like anything was wrong with them – she had just never seen anything like this before. The wing muscles were bulgy and it was easy to see the slightest muscle movement. “I think…. A good way to warm up would be joint rotation, if that’s possible,” she said, and used that as an excuse to touch his more powerful wings. She slowly put her soft hands on where his left wing and joint meet and the other next to the single claw hook rather up his span.

Meta was blushing hard under his mask by the contact and at a loose of words. The way she was rubbing him felt very good! He knew it felt too good, but he couldn’t bring himself to ask her to stop. Much to his relief and dismay, she stopped the rubbing on her own when she noticed how stiff his wings where becoming to the touch. “Ok, rotate with me,” she said as she started moving the wing slowly. He went along with the movement feeling the joints and muscles flex and adapt with little stress to the motions. “I brought some muscle crème this time, so just let me know if you need any,” Fumu said as she let go, and let Meta move his wings on his own. “Very well,” he replied as he continued to move his wings at the same pace. “Does it hurt, or anything?” “No. Just a slight strain but it’s working out.” He stopped after a few minutes then took off again. He took himself over Kabu Canyon and was able to fly directly back to Fumu and Kirby with much more ease. “Well, I guess this means we did our job, Kirby.” Kirby lifted one arm in victory and said “Meddahh Pawwit!” instead of “poyo”. They both smiled brightly to the smaller one, and looked at each other. “You can take it from here with re-learning you speed and other things,” she said smiling, but the smile look kind of sad. Meta’s eye turned green for a moment before he spoke again. “I still haven’t tried anything with you on my back.” Fumu couldn’t believe he just said that, but Kirby’s gleeful beckoning to get on Meta Knight was a sure sign she wasn’t hearing things.

“Well, ok,” she said nervously. She calmed on him the best way she could think to. The winged knight felt his mask heat up again as she straddled him. He knew he was being very bold with this move, but as a fighter he knew sometimes faith will call on you to gamble! He put his hands under her and took off again. The yellow little lady had opened her eyes when it she was use to the rush of the wind. She was speechless as he continued to take her up above the clouds and out of Kirby’s view. Meta smiled under his mask having the sun and a thick layer of clouds as a much better setting for them to be alone in. “This is so beautiful,” Fumu finally whispered. “There are many beauties in life. I'm with one of them, right now…” Fumu blushed as she jerked her view down to him. Right after that, he took a dive back down to the ground, but made enough time the catch himself and avoid hurting Fumu.

She felt dizzy as she got off his back. Maybe it was fall. Maybe that was the same reason why her face was burning. She had been stressed lately, so maybe she miss-heard or she was hearing things. Meta Knight didn’t call her beautiful. She wasn’t even all that cute, let alone beautiful. Her mother was beautiful. Silica was pretty, and would easily evolve into beauty. Vee was beautiful. This girl was on the threshold of “bearable to look at”. She expected those words from her parents to boost her confidence. She expect it from the villagers that respect for being the Cabinet Master’s child, or her own intelligence – and comments on appearance were faltering in society with or without relevance. Now the castle guard was complementing her appearance? Were Sword and Blade next?

It was best not to discuss this in front of Kirby. They decided to walk Kirby into town and let the pink puffball run freely. “Sir Meta Knight,” she said taking a set on a public bench. He hopped up on a large rock beside her. “Don’t take this as being unappreciative of your complement, but… Complements about my looks are like a normal reaction from people. I hear them so much they’ve lost their meaning. I’m not saying I think you’re just saying that, but I just don’t feel those words.” She said looking at her lap thoughtfully. He looked down to her with green eyes in his gaze. “I can understand that. However, you know I don’t just say things.” “Yes, I know,” came from her followed but a slight chuckle. “Actions speak louder than words,” he muttered to him. Loud noises of people singing and dancing out of no where blocked her hearing the older star warrior’s last line. When Fumu looked up to try to say something to lighten the mood he was gone.

After lunch the pink warrior went to it's small home to sleep, and the young lady returned to the castle to do whatever came to mind. She was thinking about studying a random topic, taking a nap, or anything else to take her mind off what happened with Meta Knight today. She just quickly went in as everyone watched TV and locked herself in her room. She felt the need to change out of what was her training outfit, and through the old worn shirt in the trash. She put on a body suit, but it was legless and sleeves unlike her usual sleeveless one with legs and underfoot. She laid down on her bed hugging her pillow in deep thought, and didn’t come out for dinner.

This time it was the Popstarian that made herself disappear. She would leave the castle to not be seen all day, maybe eat dinner with her family while not saying much, and go back to her room. On the end of the first week of this Memu officially decided she was worried about her first born. At the same time she didn’t want to run the risk of running her farther off with a direct confrontation. “Dear, what do you think could be going on with our dear Fumu?” she finally said to her husband. He looked away from the TV to smile at his worried wife. “I don’t know, my love. I can only hope she’ll tell use when she’s ready.” “But, she can’t go on like this. She disappears for hours and barely eats anything.” Pram put a hand to his chin trying to think of what to do or say. “We can try to talk to her. Fumu only becomes difficult when she’s deeply hurt,” he suggested. “Or, maybe she can talk to Mable. She might not feel comfortable telling us, because we’re her parents,” Memu suggested with a light smile. “That’s a wonderful idea! Mable is a great counselor,” Pram excitingly agreed.

When Fumu came home that night everyone was already in bed. She didn’t feel like showing up for another painful dinner with Bun annoying what was left of her wits out of her. When she walked in her room there was an open note on her bed. She gave it a quick skim and got the message that her parents were suggesting she go talk to Mable tomorrow afternoon. Fumu’s harsh aura softened as she felt her parents care in the note.

It was mid-day when she made it over to the fortune-tellers place, who was expecting her. “Hello, Lady Fumu," Mable greeted her kindly. Fumu put on a smile as she took the sit across the table. “So, what kind of questions do you have? What’s on your mind, little one?” she asked waving over her clear crystal ball. “More of a who…,” she admitted. “Oh! Well, who, then?” Mable asked. “Someone very difficult and aloof about everything,” she answered crossing her arms. “You dislike this person?” she asked with a smirk. “No, that’s the problem. I like them, but I know they're just too much for me, and I’m not nearly enough for them. Even with time, I won’t be good enough.” “Time?” “Like… when I grown up, as people call it.” “Why is that so important, dear?” Fumu balled up her fists while glaring at the table. “They may be a wild card, but they're still very mature. They've seen and done a lot.”  After a pause Fumu went on. “I’ve played with the idea just because they're someone I already know, but I got to know a different side of them recently. Getting to know them more made them more attractive to me.” “Well, that doesn’t sound bad at all,” Mable replied with a small smile. “If they care about you they will be willing to move at your pace,” Mable advised. “But, I might be getting my hopes up for no reason. They may not have those kinds of feelings for me,” she said looking up to Mable frowning.

"Well, you would be better off. You don’t need to be with someone that would be any kind of damaging to you,” she countered calmly. “You have a lot of life ahead of you. Move at your own pace, and the people meant to be in your life will move with you. Not ahead or following behind. You can’t force people to move to your speed, and they can’t force that out of your's. And, you will have to accept that some people are just meant to spend a short time along with you in your path of life.” Fumu was sort of hurt by Mable’s honest words, but she continued to listen. “If anything is meant to be, it will happen. No matter how long with takes. But if it’s not meant to be it won’t happen. Forcing it will ruin everything.” Mable ran her hands just over her ball and looked into it. “Bravery and experience. A lot of blue, for some reason,” she said and Fumu started blushing. “Hmm… I certainly feel the despair, and courage. These energies covered with a hot aura attached to them. The heat of violence, and possibly hatred.” She looked up to Fumu with a worried express. “Whatever you do stay safe and be careful. This could be a dangerous person to have such feelings for.” Fumu nodded to Mable taking her words into account. It’s very possible with all Meta Knight been through that he could be unstable in some way. “Thank you, Miss Mable. How much do I owe you?” she asked. “Oh, don’t worry about that! If there’s anything I can do to help you stay safe I’ll be more than happy to do it,” she replied with a smile. “Oh. Well, thank you, Miss Mable!” she said happily and left the woman of insight.

Fumu walked back home in deep thought. She never thought of questioning her safety with Meta Knight before. At the same time, she was seeing a different side of him as someone who was a student instead of an adviser. He may have been lying about trusting her, and ready to shut her up when he was done with her. Her area of history wasn’t that wide in the knights and warriors section, but every violent path in the past has its horror stories of betrayal, among other things. Maybe now that she wasn’t needed anymore she should keep her distance. It may have already been too late for that, though. Flying or grounded Meta Knight was still a very strong swordsman with 2 assistants and they could do anything they wanted to her anytime they wanted, and there wouldn’t be anyone to stop them. Fumu stopped walking when she was in front of the castle. She looked up and stared at it until her large green eyes caught sight of a certain blue puffball knight. She glared at his shadow before turning tail and making a mad rush to Kabu Canyon. She needed to think more before she could return to being so close to him.

She ran all the way to the canyon, so she just lay on the ground in front of the All Knowing One and huffed and puffed for air. Laying there on the ground remained her of when she was inside Kabu with Meta Knight and the others. If he wanted to do anything he could have done it then, right? Even with Kirby being there, the pink baby sleeps harder than a rock. Even if Meta were still too weak, he could have had Sword or Blade silently off her.

She coughed as she got off the cold, hard dirt ground and looked up to Kabu. She wanted to ask if helping the knight was the right thing. Was she still safe with him, or did she know too much now? But, it was like she already knew the answers. Maybe she was taking Mable’s warning out of context. Maybe she was taking something so vague too specifically. It may not be about anything now or recent. There was the possibility the advise was very future tense. No matter how strong he was Meta Knight was much smarter than to try anything right now, when it would be too obvious.

The young lady moved herself to a canyon wall and leaned against it lazily. She could take everything for what it was worth, or with a grain of salt if it was worth anything. Given her options and what they’ve been through so far she decided it would be best to not have any advanced feelings for the knight, and keep her wits sharp when he was around. She could have the same kind character, but just less relaxed around him.

“Kabu, it’s foolish of me to even consider being with someone like that,” she said to the being then chuckled to herself. Kabu was as silent as she expected it to be, and the pre-teen just lay back down and balled up on the ground.  She honestly didn’t feel like she was in the least bit of danger with Meta Knight, but the reading could have meant something about Sword and Blade! Ok, now she had to admit she was getting paranoid.

She sat back up and took a deep breath before the chilling canyon winds drove her inside of Kabu. She ended up staying in there for a long time and was too busy thinking about everything else to think about food. She was on her way back home ready to eat by sun down - that being a sure sign she wasn’t depressed anymore. When she walked in the door her mother didn’t hesitate to hug her tight. She looked as though she had been crying, and she was already in front of the door? Was she standing there? Was she pacing? “Oh, Fumu! I’m so glad you’re back!” her mother said as Pram walked over to them. “Mom, why are you crying? Is everything ok?” Fumu said while hugging her back. “We were wondering if you were ok, dear.” her father stepped in. “I… I’m fine. I went to see Mable, and she helped me. I just needed to think about what she said.” “We’re just glad you’re home, safe and sound, my sweet little one,” Memu said and kissed Fumu on the forehead. “Thanks, mom. Thanks, dad,” Fumu said softly with a big smile, trying not to cry. All the while, Bun had his ear out of his door spying on the conversation he knows his parents sent him to bed early not to hear.

Just for that, Bun decided he was going to keep an eye on her for a while. Things seemed to go back to normal, however. The next day, Fumu was over looking Kirby, Bun, and the other’s playing as she wrote or read in the shade. Kicking Kirby around was away more fun than tailing his sister, anyway. It went on like that for a few days, minus some Demon Beast attacks.