Kirby: Right Back At Ya! Fan Fiction ❯ Not a Self Help (Help Me Help You) ❯ It's only natural that he can't happen again. ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Dedede’s demon beast “school” days had pasted now. It saw nice for Meta Knight to get a hand in on his training style, though Fumu may not be as willing to trust him in a class room as she would Mr. Chip. Oh, that man. She may never see him again, but she’ll never forget him. She did make note of how Meta Knight addressed her on any possible feelings, and couldn’t help but wonder why he cared. She didn’t wonder enough to put the energy into playing dentist on getting it out of him, however.

On said knight’s side, he was happy to help Fumu learn how to protect herself. Along with her brains she had her own surprising amount of brute strength. Even more impressively, she didn't let depending on her strength get in her way of fighting in a smart manner. All she needed was some coordinating to help put it to good use with a decrease of wasted energy.

He didn’t want to say he was angry about the “Chip” thing (if that IS his real name!), but seeing Fumu clearly star struck for someone else was painful. Considering everything he had been through over hundreds of years “painful” was genuinely how it felt. It felt the same as being shot or stabbed, but it was worse because no one could see the wounds to know he was hurt. As much as he wanted to mope about it he couldn’t bring himself to. “Chip” was only there for a few days, and he was gone just as easily as he came. Meta Knight had to find a way to set aside some time to spend with Fumu now. He couldn’t let something like “Chip” happen again.

Shortly after...

Fumu sent a letter with Kirby to ask that Meta Knight meet her at Kabu canyon for a talk. It was under the casual guse that they hadn’t seen each other in a while and she just wanted to talk. There’s was no way she could say something like that to his face, even if it was partly – but not completely true. If something was to be said it should go on and be. “Ok, Kirby. Just head him the letter, and say it’s from me. He can do the rest on his own. And, let me know what he says,” she said handing pinky the folded letter. “And, if you run into Bun or my parents make sure they don’t get that letter!” Kirby nodded determinedly and ran out with it stub-arms over it’s form.

Sure enough Fumu’s little brother came into view in the halls, but Kirby ran right past him. “Huh? Hey, Kirby what are you do?” he called but Kirby didn’t stop. He started to chase Kirby, and it only took a few seconds to think of what would make Kirby stop. “Hey, Kirby, You want some watermelons?” he called out with a smirk. Kirby made a smooth turn back Bun’s direction and jumped happily “Poyo”ing. “Now! Let’s see what you’ve got there!” Bun yelled as he pounced at Kirby, but the puffball glided out of the way. Kirby “poyo’d” in a panic and resumed it’s task. “What the--?” Bun got out of his failed pounce position and looked up to see Kirby was gone just that quickly.

Kirby made it clean to Meta Knight’s room without anymore distractions and knocked while “poyo’ing” at the door. The desired knight answered the door with a confused expression under his mask. “What is it, Kirby?” Kirby poyo’d as it handed Meta Knight the letter. Meta’s eyes glowed white as he look to Kirby. “Anner,” it said as best it could. “She wants a reply?” Kirby nodded. “Very well. Hold on a moment,” he said then went back into his room with, as his eyes glowed green. A few seconds later he returned to the door and handed Kirby a sheet of folded paper. “There. Thank you, Kirby.” Fumu left her door open for Kirby to come right in and she turned to the puffball warrior fast when it raced in. “Poyo!” it said handing her the paper. “Thank you, Kirby,” she said taking the note. She smiled as she read that he will accept a meeting the day after tomorrow in the morning. It gave her more time to think of what she was going to say. Meta Knight sat in his room with a very serious expression under his mask, hidden from Sword and Blade as they watched TV. Fumu wanted to see him! He didn’t even have to make time to think of anything to do on his own. It seemed too easy, but it’s best not to look a gift-horse in the mouth. Now he just needed to think of what to say...

They were both thankful it was still peaceful when the decided to meet. Fumu expected Meta Knight to be an early riser, and she was right, but he didn’t head to the canyon first thing when he got up. She waited on him almost 2 hours before he could break away from his work duties to meet her. Her usual wake time wasn’t this early so she had fallen back asleep in the canyon by the time he took place on a high rock beside her. He looked down and watched her breath as she didn’t move to his presence. “Fumu?” he said softly. He honestly wanted to keep watching her sleep, and maybe his voice would reach her in her sub-conscious. He hopped down next to her and that’s when she came to. He was silently disappointed she awoke, but didn’t say anything. “Hey, Sir Meta Knight,” she said rubbing her eyes. “Sorry if I kept you waiting long,” he said in his normal flat tone. “It’s ok. I know you have things to do. I would rather wait than have you waiting,” she said then got to her feet.

The young lady looked at the ground as the Star Warrior stood beside her. “I wanted to talk to you about…,” she started but found herself cutting herself short. Meta Knight didn’t say anything, still. “I’m just going to say it,” she said and made fists. “I want to talk about us. I’ve been thinking about our relationship, and how me helping you made me start seeing you differently. And, also eating with you, and you turned around and helped me with fighting. I know we don’t talk much, but just getting to see a side of you no one else sees makes me feel special. A-and, I don’t think that’s silly, either.” The young lady stood there in the most determined, if not demanding, posture and the look on her face looked more like she was telling Meta Knight that she hated him.

Meta’s eyes glowed white for a moment. “I don’t think it’s silly, either. In fact, it makes perfect sense.” Fumu felt herself relax and she looked much less angry now. She signed and looked back down. “I feel closer to you, but I’m questioning if it’s the right thing,” she said sadly. “It’s only natural,” he said, cursing himself for not coming up with a more supportive line. He was doubting his idea of telling her how he feels, now. He still wasn’t sure how he felt, at that. “I think I like you. I have no idea what the consequences are of my feelings are, but I like you. That’s what’s silly.” She put her hand on her face to cover her rueful smile.

“I feel closer to you, as well,” he said softly. “Like I said, it’s natural.” Looking at him she couldn’t fight the urge to ask “Just closer, or do you like me, too?” The old star warrior looked away from her with his eyes glowing green again. When he didn’t say anything for another 10 seconds Fumu walked closer to him, and as much as she wanted to shake the answer out of him she kept her hands to her sides. “If there is no “us” to talk about then just say it. I want to hear you say it, so I can get all of this out of me. If there is something, we both need to come to terms with it.” “But, you’re so young,” he finally said. “And, you’re hundreds of years old, and yet here we are. So, that doesn’t matter, does it? I trust you to know more about these things with all the life you’ve lived. You tell me what’s going on.”

Meta Knight finally looked at her, and didn’t reply. “You know what?” she said with a smirk. “I think you like me, too. If you didn’t you would just say so,” she said folding her arms. “Hmm?” He blushed under his mask and looked up to her. “Getting something out of you is so hard,” she said with her smile turning into a frown. “I guess that’s the way it’s suppose to be.” Fumu turned and walked away from him towards Kabu. “Let’s forget about this. It doesn't feel like we're ready for these kinds of feelings. Or, maybe I'm not ready... Maybe I'm the one with the misunderstanding. Maybe this is the way it’s suppose to be.” Even though she was talking out loud, she was talking more to herself. Meta Knight listened to her go on while he was looking down, again cursing himself for failing in this situation.

“But, I have a new question: Why didn’t you just lie and say you don’t have any feelings for me?” she inquired turning back around with a confused smile. “I… I can’t bring myself to lie to you. Have I ever lied to you before?” Fumu looked at the blue knight oddly. Putting thought into it, she couldn’t think of a time where he’s lied to her, so far. The only thing she could think of was when he lied to her mother - but it wasn't to her. "I want to get closer to you,” Meta Knight suddenly said, and causing Fumu look at him surprised. “That’s all I can say for now.” Fumu smiled kindly as she walked towards him. “Fly,” came from the young lady. He looked at her confused, not that she could tell. “Go on. I want to see if my teaching did any good,” she egged on.

With that understanding, the knight lowered himself to one hand before his cape turned into wings and he fastly took off. He flew directly up and went just high enough to not leave sight, and flew in smooth circles in high air. Fumu watched feeling accomplished in Meta Knight's stable flight. Meta came back down and stopped right above Fumu. He held out his hand, and she didn’t even think before taking them. He pulled her into the air with him, and did a flip to move her on his back side. She “whoa’d” in surprise but she still didn’t feel as though she was in any danger. “Wow! Go, Meta Knight! Oh, I mean, SIR Meta Knight,” she said as she blushed slightly. “… You may call me whatever you please.” Fumu blushed harder and her smile got bigger. They continued to glide and fly around some more as the sun came into view.

Meta Knight didn’t get tired of fling, or the young lady being so close to him. He had to keep his wits about himself, however. He landed back in the canyon after a few minutes keeping in mind to be cautious about who saw what. “Oh, that was fun! We need to do it longer!” she said in a drunken excitement. “Being in the sky like that is so wonderful! Sir Meta Knight, you’re amazing!” The next thing he knew Fumu’s arms where hugging him tightly. He had to force himself to hug her back, and allow that closeness he asked for. When she pulled away she saw his eyes shining light blue and pink, before returning to gold.

“Now, it’s your turn,” he said taking a few steps away from her. He took off his sword holder and hold his fist up to protect his face/ body. Fumu get into her trained basic position, but lunged at him immediately. He wanted to point out her lack of patients, but he had put it off for later. He knew speed was one of her skills, so it was natural for her to want to put that to use. The blue puffball dodged her punched, but didn’t miss the kick she sent. Thought he took the hit, he moved with the force of the turn and grabbed her foot. As he lifted it up she put her hands down and flipped herself from his grasp. She smirked as she looked him in the eyes. He blushed and smirked back, but unbeknownst to him she was smirking because she had just made his mask her target.

She ran at him again and he put his fists back into the original position. She through a punch, but when he moved his arm out to counter she grabbed it and the top of his head/ body and flipped over him. Her hands went for the mask latch, but he wasn’t still long enough her to undo it. He jumped away from her with his eyes glowing pink - purple, and a much more amused smirk under the -still in place- mask. “My, how forward of you,” he commented to the cheeky young lady.

She smiled with a cute deviousness before coming at him again. She knew she couldn’t use the same trick twice, so this time she went in focusing on kicks. Meta Knight blocked them, but not as easily as he assumed it would be. Even when he spun her around to get behind her she flipped to her hands and came back with a fast follow-up kick. “I see you’ve done your own training. Excellent!” He continued to avoid and block her attacks, until he decided to get fancy to show her the error of her ways.

As she re-adjusted herself and went for an upper kick, he moved with the kick and used it to push his body into the air. He had to do a flip even though his body didn't go that high. Fumu followed her instincts of moving out of the way - against the urge to swing at him, instead. Upon landing he made a quick dash at her, and he was to close for his opponent to react quickly enough. She put her arms in a blocking position over her chest as he rammed into her lower torso with more than enough force to knock her over. She let out a shirk as she went down, and lost her defensive posture as he pinned her arm out to the ground.

"Ah... damn it..." she grumbled as she had to lay under him in defeat. He let a soft chuckle as he formed his powerful wings over her form. She gasped at the sight and looked into his eyes nervously. "Aren't you going to try to escape?" he asked. Fumu knew it wouldn't be like her to admit defeat, even in this kind of situation. "Nah... I like it here. It's cozy," she replied as she fought off a defeated expression for a smug one. "Well, at least you know when you're beaten," he said pulling himself off the young lady. "You're always going to be a hasty one, aren't you?" he asked as he took place next to her. "Well, no body's perfect," came in reply with a cheerful expression while she sat up.