Kodomo No Omocha Fan Fiction ❯ Something White ❯ Something New ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Kodomo No Omocha.
 
Something New
 
Los Angeles International Airport was abuzz with passengers. Crowds of people were flooding the halls and filling up the lobbies. The hustle and bustle of passengers resembled a jar filled with angry hornets, trying to find an exit where there was none. But this busy crowd was nothing compared to the busybody who was landing in Flight 890.
 
The flight attendant was getting nervous watching the young teenage-girl fidget relentlessly with her luggage. She could tell that the young girl was obviously very anxious to get off the plane. Poor girl. She thought. She's probably airsick and needs to get some fresh air.
 
Come on, come on, we've landed already. When is that lady going to open the door! And why is she looking at me funny! Sana thought to herself.
 
Just then, the captain's voice echoed over the loudspeaker. “Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Los Angeles International Airport! The local time is now 3:15 p.m.”
 
Right as the flight attendant opened the door, Sana bolted off the plane. The flight attendant was spun around in circles after experiencing the aftershocks of the girl's energy. Sana was searching franticly in the crowd for a familiar face; the one who she traveled all the way from Japan to see. Skimming the heads of the crowd, she noticed a blond-haired boy leaning against the far wall. “That has to be him!” Running towards the boy, she jumped towards him with all her luggage in hand to give him a huge hug. Luckily for the boy, his karate training helped prepare him for his girlfriend's attack.
 
“Akito! It's so great to see you!” She said laughingly.
 
“I know, it's great to see you too.” Akito whispered into her ear.
 
“But is your Dad here? Natsumi?” As she loosened her embrace to gaze into his brown eyes; those eyes that she hadn't seen in seven months since he last came to visit her in Japan.
 
“Dad's here, he's waiting for us at the baggage claim. Natsumi couldn't get out of her orientation at UCLA to come with us, but you'll get to see her later tonight.” He said as he took her hand in his. Looking at her smiling face, he really wanted to kiss her right then and there, but there were too many people around. And he was never one for showing his emotions in public, even now.
 
While the young couple made their way to the baggage claim, they didn't notice the three teenagers whispering in the corner.
 
“Hey, wasn't that Sana Kurata?” Said one of the boys.
 
“No way! What is she doing in the States?” Said the girl.
 
“Whoa, she's so much cuter in person! But who's that guy with her? I thought she was dating Naozumi Kamura?” The last boy stated.
 
“I don't know, but he is kinda cute,” the girl beamed.
 
“Oh, what would you know? But we gotta tell our friends back in Japan about this!” The first boy stated.
 
“Did you have any problems with people recognizing you? I mean, you didn't wear any glasses or weird hat like you usually do when you go out,” Akito asked.
 
“Oh, don't worry. I've been working on my radio program for the past year or two that people rarely get to see my face anymore. I'm just starting to get back into commercials and movies, but none of those have aired yet,” said Sana.
 
“How is that radio thing going?” Inquired Akito.
 
“It's not a radio `thing'! It's a program,” Sana pouted. “But I'm slowly making the transition to letting Fuuka run it. Although I hate to give it up, I need the extra time so I can focus more on my acting career. I think my fans liked it better when they could see me on the television smiling and laughing rather than just hearing my voice and listening to their problems,” Sana stated as she eyed the floor. “I just want to make my fans happy.”
 
When Akito heard his girlfriend say this, he got a little concerned and squeezed her hand just a little tighter. Sana looked up at her boyfriend when she noticed his concern and just smiled back at him.
 
“Don't worry, I'll be fine. Oh, how's your hand?” Pointing to Akito's free right hand.
 
“I almost have full control of it. I still have lots of rehab to go, but it's really getting much better,” he said, looking at his right hand and lightly clenching a fist. “But there's Dad! Looks like he already got all your luggage.”
 
“Oh, Sana-chan! How was your flight?” Mr. Hayama said with a smile.
 
“Oh, it was great! It felt really long though, just sitting there on the plane. But I'm glad I came!” She noticed how much healthier and heavier Mr. Hayama looked. He wasn't as pale or skinny as when she last saw him in Japan two years ago. Probably all that American food he's eating.
 
As Mr. Hayama and Akito put Sana's luggage in their car, she couldn't help but notice how much stronger Akito had gotten. The last time she saw him lift any heavy objects was when they helped Tsuyoshi move into his new apartment with his mother and sister, but they were only eleven back then. Now they're fifteen and he can lift up her heavy suitcase with ease. He's really different from before. It's like he's transformed himself from a devil child to someone who's really sweet and caring. So many things have changed since then, even me. Gosh, when did I start really getting close to him, to start calling him by his first name? I think it surprised him more than it did me. It was probably right before he left Japan after visiting me for that short period of time a few months back. It was so hard watching him get back on that plane for L.A.
 
“Hey, are you checking me out or something, mind giving us a hand?” said Akito, unaware that he just interrupted Sana's thoughts.
 
Quickly pulling out her squeaky hammer, she beat Akito over the head causing him to drop one of her bags on his foot, “What do you mean checking you out!”
 
“It's just a joke! Can't you take a joke!” trying his best to thwart her attacks.
 
“Ha ha ha! I see that you haven't changed a bit since I last saw you in Japan, Sana. That's good,” laughed Mr. Hayama.
 
“Oh, sorry. I guess I got a little carried away with myself,” Sana apologized. “But let's get going! I really want to see Los Angeles, the school you go to and all the places you hang-out. After all, you're going back to Japan with me in three-days. I'm sure you wouldn't mind visiting these places one last time.”
 
Akito just shrugged. “Ok, if you really want to.”
 
The drive back to Akito's house took about two hours, most of which was stuck in stop-and-go traffic. Akito was afraid that Sana would get too antsy in the car during all the traffic, but thankfully for him, she fell right asleep in his lap during the whole drive home. He stroked her hair as she slept peacefully. I remember when I put my head in her lap in sixth grade. She changed my life that day. She looks so peaceful when she sleeps. I wonder what she's thinking? I'm glad I can finally return to Japan. That I can be closer to her and be able to see her face in person, rather than on TV. Now we can have a real relationship. God, she looks so beautiful sleeping here. Watching his slumbering girlfriend made Akito feel drowsy and he slowly fell asleep along with her.
 
“Well, he practically stayed up all night because he was so excited that Sana was coming up to help him move back to Japan, but he didn't want anyone to know that,” Babbit stated. “Well, since those two are asleep, I guess it's my job to keep Mr. Hayama awake!” He said excitedly. The little Babbit picked up a babbit-sized guitar and started to play it, waking up Akito.
 
“Hey, shut-up!” Smacking the poor Babbit.
 
“I get no love!” Wailed the injured Babbit.
 
When they were five minutes away from the house, Sana slowly started to wake-up. Groggily, she rubbed her eyes and looked out the window to find houses whizzing past the car window. She wanted to ask Akito if they were close to his house yet, but he was still dozing lightly beside her. She didn't want to wake him from his silent reverie. I know he must be happy that he can return to Japan. I wonder what things were like for him here in America? I wonder what things will be like when he's finally living in Japan again? When he's finally closer to me?
 
“Mr. Hayama, are we almost to your house?” Sana inquired.
 
“We're almost there. It's actually that beige two-story house with the green shutters over there on the right,” pointing to a house that looked only about the size of a quarter when Sana first saw it. Slowly, the car inched closer to the house and she saw exactly what Mr. Hayama described. It was a very modest looking abode with a large For Sale sign posted in the middle of the lawn.
 
“Wow! It's such a nice house. I can't wait until I see the inside!” Stated Sana with a smile.
 
After hearing his girlfriend's voice, Akito started to wake-up. Yawning, he said, “We home yet?”
 
“Yep, just pulled in. Now to unload the luggage,” said Mr. Hayama as he was getting out of the car.
 
“I think I'll go back to sleep now,” as Akito tried to put his head on Sana's lap.
 
“Oh, no you don't!” Whacking Akito with her squeaky hammer. “Get up! You need to show me around your house.”
 
“Fine, fine! Jeez! Let me get your stuff first,” rubbing the back of his head where he was hit.
 
Carrying her luggage, Akito escorted Sana into his house. “Well, this is it. Let me put these up in your room,” slowly making his way up the stairs.
 
“Sana! How are you!” Screamed Natsumi as she ran out of the kitchen.
 
“Natsumi! Wow, you look great! How was orientation? I can't believe you're going to be attending an American college! Have you found any cute boys to date?” Sana stated as she nudged Natsumi in the side, forgetting that Akito was about to show her to her room.
 
Akito just stood there, slightly annoyed that his sister was diverting Sana's attention from him.
 
“Oh, orientation was awesome! I know I'm going to have a great time at UCLA, there are so many cute boys there and-”
 
“Hey! Natsumi! I think the oyako-don's burning!” Akito shouted.
 
“Oh my God!” Running back to the kitchen to save dinner. “I'll talk with you more at dinner ok?” She shouted from the kitchen.
 
“Ok!” Sana shouted back. “Wow, I can't wait to talk to her more, I haven't seen her in two years. Right, Akito?” Sana stated while making her way up the stairs to where Akito was waiting.
 
“Yeah, something like that. But your room is this way,” opening a door to a quaint room with a bed. There weren't any pictures or decorations, most of them were in boxes that had been packed up and shipped to Japan. Even though it was simple, Sana liked it.
 
“Thanks Akito. I really like it,” sitting on the bed.
 
Akito placed her luggage on the floor and then sat down right next to Sana on the bed. “I'm glad you like it. My sister was afraid it was going to be too plain for you. We had already packed up most of the pictures and stuff in this room.”
 
“No, it's perfect. Thanks!” Sana smiled.
 
She turned her head toward his and they both sat there silently as she gazed into his eyes. He had longing in his eyes. It was that same look that he gave her right before he kissed her on their Mid-Birthday a few years ago. She closed her eyes as he slowly put his hand on her face and bent his head towards hers. Sana wrapped her arms around his body as he gave her a deep passionate kiss.
 
Their romantic moment was broken by the sound of Natsumi's voice calling from downstairs. “Dinner's ready!”
 
Agitated, Akito shouted back. “We'll be there in a minute!” Sighing, Akito turned to Sana. “I guess we have to go downstairs now.” He gave her a quick peck on the forehead before taking her hand and leading her to the dinner table.
 
Sana just followed, still overwhelmed by that last kiss. She felt a little something more in that last kiss, not just his tongue; but something more romantic—loving. She didn't even notice that she was still blushing when she came to the dinner table.
 
“Sana, I hope you like oyako-don!” Natsumi laughed. “Oh, you're blushing! Did you just remember when you called us oyako-don baka back in Japan? I remembered it while I was making dinner.”
 
“Ho ho ho! I forgot about that until now. You really did help our family out when you did that drama,” Mr. Hayama said as he fiddled with his chopsticks.
 
“Yeah, now we're just a regular family. Thanks!” Said Natsumi as she placed the last bowl of oyako-don in front of Sana.
 
“No problem! I was glad to see that you all finally got to be a family,” Sana smiled. She looked over to Akito to see if he was smiling to. As usual, he wasn't. Instead he squeezed her hand under the table, which was equivalent to a smile for Sana.
 
The rest of the dinner was spent with everyone laughing about Sana's involvement with their family, at least everyone except for Akito who just sat there silently eating. Occasionally, he would look over at Sana and almost smile. This conversation reminded him of when he first fell for her and why she meant so much to him.
 
“Wow, dinner was so good. Here, let me help you do the dishes!” Sana stated while picking up her plates.
 
“No, no. Let me. You're a guest here. Dad and I can take care of it. Why don't you and Akito catch up with each other? After all, isn't he the reason why you're here,” Natsumi winked at Sana.
 
Flustered, Sana started laughing to hide her embarrassment. “I also wanted to see you and your father. I've also never been to L.A. before. It's not just for Akito.” Sana stated with her hands on her hips. Though it kind of is.
 
Still acting nonchalant, Akito led Sana upstairs back to her room.
 
“Where's your room? I want to see it,” Sana pleaded.
 
“It's right here,” pointing to the door right across from hers.
 
When Sana walked into the room, she noticed almost everything was either in a box or placed in Akito's luggage. It was a simple room, very similar to how it looked in Japan. The TV was still plugged in and Akito kept two personal items on his windowsill; his 1st place karate cup and the dinosaur Sana gave him.
 
“Oh, you still haven't packed those yet!” Sana said while pointing to the windowsill.
 
“I couldn't do that yet,” fiddling with the toy dinosaur's scarf that Sana made for him. “They remind me of the two things I love the most,” Akito said as he turned towards Sana.
 
He gently put his hand behind Sana's neck and pulled her towards him in a tight embrace. “Thank you for what you did for my family. Thank you.”
 
“Akito,” Sana whispered.
 
He loosened his embrace and slowly lowered his face to hers, locking their lips in a passionate kiss. The kiss only deepened, as the seconds seemed to turn to minutes. Akito was never good at expressing his emotions, but this kiss was something even Sana knew had all his love and affection poured into it.
 
Unfortunately, their romantic moment was interrupted yet again by Natsumi yelling from downstairs. “Sana, Akito! You have to turn on the TV and look at NHK!”
 
Agitated at another interruption. He yelled back in return. “Fine!” And turned on the TV to his room.
 
“You get a Japanese network here?” Sana said surprised.
 
“Yeah, you can order it through cable,” Akito stated flatly.
 
On the television, they saw the images of Rei and Asako holding hands. Asako had a certain glow to her. Rei was in his usual attire of sunglasses. It looked like they were at a press conference. The camera also panned in on Asako's left hand, which was donning a sparkling diamond ring.
 
“Hey, it's Mr. Sunglasses,” said Akito.
 
“Rei-kun! Asako-chan! Wow, he really did do it!” Sana exclaimed. “Akito, turn up the volume, I want to hear what they are saying.”
 
As Akito reluctantly turned up the volume on the TV, the pair finally heard what was being said at the press conference.
 
“As you all know, there have been rumors that I am currently seeing someone. Well, today, I called this press conference to confirm those rumors and to announce that I am now engaged to Rei Sagami.” Sana and Akito gaped as they heard Asako publicly announce her relationship with Rei-kun. “I have known Mr. Sagami since high school, and although I know there will many disappointed fans out there, Rei and I are deeply in love.”
 
“Miss Kurumi, is it true that Mr. Sagami is Sana Kurata's manager?” Shouted one of the reporters.
 
“Yes, that's true,” Asako replied.
 
“How does he feel getting married to someone so famous? Will he continue to be Miss Kurata's manager after he gets married?”
 
“I think Mr. Sagami can answer that question,” handing the microphone to Rei.
 
“Yes, well. I was very apprehensive--”
 
Rei started to answer until he was interrupted by a bombardment of questions by the reporters. “Miss Kurumi, just one more question! Miss Kurumi!”
 
Drowned out by the questions of the reporters, Rei shut-off the microphone looking very agitated and escorted Asako out of the room. The camera then panned over to two anchors in their seats who were also watching the press conference.
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, that was taped coverage of a press conference held earlier by the famous actress Asako Kurumi. Apparently this meeting was to announce her engagement to a man named, Rei Sagami,” pulling up a sheet of paper to her face, obviously indicating that she didn't remember his name.
 
“Yes Miho, it really seems so. I'm sure lots of Miss Kurumi's male fans are pretty upset about this news,” the male anchor interjected. “I personally don't think that she made the best choice. She has so many famous admirers.”
 
“Yes, I agree Ishida. She really could do much better than just an actress' manager.”
 
“What! He's not just my manager! Rei-kun's a great guy and he and Asako love each other!” Sana screamed at the television.
 
Noticing his girlfriend's obvious frustration. Akito was about to turn the television off when Naozumi's face appeared on the program.
 
“Nao!” Sana said shocked.
 
What is he up to? Akito thought to himself.
 
“Mr. Kamura, what is your opinion on the recent engagement of Miss Asako Kurumi to Mr. Rei Sagami?” An obnoxious television reporter shouted.
 
“I'm happy for them! I have been good friends with Mr. Sagami and have worked with Miss Kurumi before and think that they make a wonderful couple!” Smiled the blue-eyed actor.
 
“Is Mr. Sagami really Miss Sana Kurata's manager?”
 
“Yes, and a brilliant one at that,” trying to defend Rei.
 
“What is your relationship to Miss Kurata?”
 
“She and I are just good friends. Though it is no secret that I deeply care about her and would one day marry her if I could,” Naozumi sighed, forgetting that he was being interviewed.
 
“Mr. Kamura, are you going to propose to Miss Kurata?”
 
Right as Akito heard the reporter ask Naozumi that question, he turned the TV off and flung the remote controller across the room.
 
“Akito!” Sana shouted. “You didn't have to do that!”
 
“I can't stand that guy!” He scowled.
 
“You know that he and I are only friends. You have nothing to worry about. You're with me now,” Sana said trying to comfort him. She slowly placed her hand on his face, which was staring at the beige carpet. “Please Akito. Try not to think about things like that. The media likes to make things up sometimes. I can't let it get to me so try really hard so it won't get to you, ok?”
 
Akito looked up at Sana's beautiful face. She had such a motherly look to her. Placing his hand over hers, he said, “Ok, I'll try my best.”
 
“Thank you,” Sana sighed as she pulled him into a hug.
 
Although Akito gave his reassurance to Sana that he wouldn't let this bother him, he still couldn't get rid of that nagging feeling.
 
The rest of their time together in L.A. was spent taking a tour of the town. Akito never really got to explore the city. He only saw the parts that were on the way to school, the rehabilitation center, and karate. He didn't think he was going to miss this town because going to L.A. was the main reason why Sana got really sick two years ago. He always bottled up a hatred for L.A. since it was the source of Sana's depression. But now that Sana was there right next to him, they were both able to fight their demons together.
 
Sana enjoyed herself like she always did, never even realizing how much concern Akito had for her. He worried that she would relapse into her Doll sickness if she were to come to L.A., but that never did happen. Because of her insistence on seeing the town, he was able to fight his fear of what L.A. meant to him. True, he was able to rehabilitate his right hand here, but it almost cost him the most precious thing in his life. He was glad he was finally leaving.
 
Finally, after the third day, it was time for them to fly back to Japan. Mr. Hayama was going to meet them in Japan after taking care of selling the house and finishing his work in L.A. In the meantime, Akito was supposed to unpack and get ready for 10th grade while he was in Japan.
 
Their flight back together was mostly spent with Sana sleeping against Akito's shoulder. I wonder what she's dreaming about right now. I'm just glad that visiting L.A. didn't bring back any relapses of her sickness. She's so strong when she wants to be. She even gives me strength. I was so afraid of L.A. when I first got here. I really didn't want to get adjusted to the city. I can't believe I let her drag me around; yet, I'm kinda glad she did. I think we were both able to overcome some of our fears on this trip.
 
The rest of the flight, Akito quietly listened to the music on his walkman and stared pensively out the window. There were so many things he needed to do once he returned to Japan: the boxes needed to get unpacked before his father arrived; he needed to get his school uniform; find out what classes he had; and most importantly, be a real boyfriend to Sana.
 
Suddenly, his mind wandered to Rei and Asako. Stupid Mr. Sunglasses. How could he get himself into such a situation? I wonder if he'll even have the guts to go through with the wedding after that fiasco on the news?
 
Sana stirred slightly in her sleep, readjusting herself on Akito's shoulder. He didn't mind that she was using his body as her personal pillow. Looking down at Sana, that nagging feeling regurgitated itself back. He wanted to take back those thoughts he had about Rei. I wonder if it will ever happen between Sana and me? Better not think about that right now.
 
Akito resumed to staring out the window and tried to concentrate on all the things he needed to do in Japan. He was able to divert his attention from that awful feeling. But that thought was like the beast of doubt, lurking in the forests. It was only hiding itself so not to scare away its prey. Though Akito believed he had gotten rid of that thought, but the doubt was only waiting patiently. Waiting for its moment to strike.
 
End of Something New
(continued…)