Kodomo No Omocha Fan Fiction ❯ Something White ❯ Something Borrowed ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: Own not the Kodomo no Omocha, I do. Talk like Yoda, I will.
 
Something Borrowed
 
Akito peered down at the glass counter wondering which one was right. Over twenty rings stared back at him, sparkling and glistening in the light. Any one of those rings alone would catch a girl's heart, but all of them were together and shining as brightly as they could to attract the attention of the young man.
 
“May I help you?” asked the lady behind the counter.
 
“No thanks, just looking,” waving his hand to brush her away.
 
Disgruntled, he slowly walked back to his house, jamming his hands into his pockets.
 
Who am I kidding? What do you get the girl who has everything? We've been dating almost ten years now and I don't even know her ring size. I don't think I'll ever find the right ring for her. Do I even want to go through with this? We've been through so much over the past ten years. I remember every moment we've shared together. So what am I afraid of? Is it what he said to me seven years ago? Hmph, maybe so.
 
* * *
 
“Do you see them yet?” Aya peered over the crowd.
 
“No, not yet . . . Wait! I see them. They just got off the plane!” Tsuyoshi replied ecstatically.
 
“Quick, put the banner up!” Aya said franticly to her friends.
 
Without any hesitation, Fuuka and Takaishi lifted up a banner with the words Welcome back, Akito! written in big, bold letters. The pair waved their banner proudly hoping that Sana and Akito would notice it.
 
Sure enough, as the couple departed the plane the first thing they saw was the banner welcoming Akito back to Japan, like how the national flag would welcome back her country's soldiers. He was finally home.
 
“Akito! Look! It's all our friends!” Sana tugged on his shirt. “Hey! We made it everyone!”
 
“Akito! Sana! It's so great to see you both again!” Shouted Tsuyoshi.
 
“I know, I was only gone three-days, but already I missed you guys. Right, Akito?”
 
“I didn't notice,” Akito shrugged.
 
“Same old Akito,” Tsuyoshi sighed.
 
Slowly, the band of friends made their way to the baggage claim, chatting along the way. Sana and Akito where walking hand-in-hand, like a real couple. Anyone watching the group of kids walking down the hall would have never suspected that one of them had been overseas for two years. They all meshed together so naturally, it was like Akito never left Japan.
 
“Akito, Fuuka and I need to go to the bathroom, we'll meet you later, ok?” Sana smiled.
 
“You don't need my permission. Why do you girls always have to go to the bathroom together anyway?” asked Akito.
 
“That's none of your business!” taking out her squeaky-hammer and whacking Akito on his head.
 
“Jeez, sorry I asked,” rubbing his head.
 
Without haste, the girls made their way to the restroom. “Did you get everything set-up?” Sana whispered to Fuuka.
 
“Yep, everything's ready for tonight,” Fuuka giggled.
 
“Great!” Sana jumped up in the air. “So I noticed that you brought Takaishi over, is there anything going on with you two?” Sana inquired as she nudged Fuuka in the side.
 
“Oh, nothing right now. We're still good friends, but he did agree to stay for the sleepover,” Fuuka said as she blushed. “He kind of feels indebted to Akito for helping us get back together, even if all he did was give me his number.”
 
“Good. I hope you guys can finally be together,” Sana smiled.
 
“Yeah, I hope so,” Fuuka blushed. “But we better catch up with everyone else.
 
“Alright, let's go!” Sana energetically ran out of the bathroom while dragging poor Fuuka behind her.
 
At the baggage claim, the small group of friends were helping Akito pick-up all the luggage and boxes that he had to take with him. It was enough work to even tire out the overly enthusiastic Sana.
 
“Fuuka told me that you went to the States to fix your injured hand,” Takaishi said nervously, as he tried to strike up a conversation with Akito. “It really looks like its all better since you're able to lift up all those heavy boxes,” panting as he struggled to lift up one of the boxes off the rotating belt.
 
“Yeah, it is much better. I still have some rehab to go, but I can lift up all these things because I'm stronger than you,” Akito replied in his usual manner.
 
“Oh!” Takaishi nervously laughed. Remind me never to mess with this guy. I can barely lift some of these boxes. I'm glad he and Fuuka broke-up when they did. I'm no match for him.
 
“How many boxes did you bring back from Japan?” Tsuyoshi whimpered as he struggled to pick up the last box from the baggage claim.
 
“Just seven,” Akito said flatly as he took the heavy load from his friend.
 
“Than why do we have over ten pieces of luggage?” Aya wondered as she counted the growing pile of boxes and suitcases.
 
“Oh, some of that must be Sana's,” Akito answered.
 
“Yeah, well, I brought an extra suitcase to help Akito bring some of his stuff back to Japan, but I ended up buying so many souvenirs, he couldn't use it,” Sana laughed, slightly embarrassed. “Besides, Rei-kun will be here to help drive all the luggage back to Akito's house.”
 
Akito looked over to his girlfriend to admire the expression on her face. I guess she probably forgot about that press conference Mr. Sunglasses had to face. I wonder if she'll be alright once she sees him again. I hope Mr. Sunglasses doesn't break down and cry. Jeez, what a lame excuse for a man.
 
“Come on everyone! Let's get the luggage outside, Rei-kun should be outside now!” Grabbing one of her suitcases and hauling it over her head.
 
“Wow, how does she get all her energy?” Aya asked Fuuka.
 
“I don't know.”
 
“It's because she just slept on the plane during the entire flight back to Japan,” Babbit appeared to answer.
 
“Oh, no wonder,” said Fuuka. “That sounds like Sana!”
 
“Mr. Babbit, are you going to welcome back Akito at his house?” Aya asked politely.
 
“I'm invited! Babbit's so happy!” Danced the blue and white bat.
 
“Hey! Quit being lazy and help with the luggage!” Akito karate chopped the poor babbit on the head.
 
As the babbit fell down with a huge bump growing on his head, Akito picked up one of the boxes and made his way outside to meet up with the Sana. When he stepped outside, he saw Mr. Sunglasses wearing one of those party glasses that has a nose and mustache attached to it. Sana was frantic when she saw him wearing such a ridiculous disguise.
 
“Rei-kun! Rei-kun! What are you wearing! Take it off now!” Shouted Sana as she spastically pointed at the party favor on Rei's face.
 
“Shh! Sana, please don't raise your voice. I don't want anyone to recognize me.” Rei whispered.
 
“Why? Why? Why?” Sana shouted.
 
“Well, ever since that press conference with Asako, the paparazzi have been hounding me and all these guys keep on coming up to me and threatening to beat me up. It's so awful!” as Rei started to cry.
 
He cried. I guess he can't help it. Akito looked on with a stoic face. “Real men don't cry.”
 
“Akito! That's mean!” Sana took out her squeaky-hammer and smacked him on the head.
 
“No, it's ok Sana. Akito is right. I need to be strong . . . for Asako,” as Rei straightened himself and sniffed back a tear.
 
“Rei,” Sana looked at him with a concerned look.
 
“I'll be ok. Come on! Let's load all this luggage into the car!” Rei said cheerfully. “Well, where's the rest. Ah!”
 
“Here's the rest of the luggage,” panted Takaishi and Tsuyoshi who were resting on top of a mountain of boxes and suitcases.
 
“How is that going to fit in my car?” as Rei started to cry again.
 
After fifteen minutes of struggling with all the luggage, the group was finally able to pack everything in and on top of Rei's car. There was only enough room in the car for poor Rei, who was still crying over the media frenzy; but all the luggage piled all in and around his car didn't help the situation either.
 
“Ok, Rei, we'll meet you over at Akito's house,” Sana shouted.
 
“Ok,” Rei said in between tears. Slowly, he drove off in the heavily weighed-down car.
 
“Alright, let's take off!” Sana said as she started to lead the way.
 
“Sana, isn't there something you need to do?” Fuuka was winking at her.
 
“Oh, yeah. Akito, could we go somewhere first before we head over to your house?” Sana asked merrily.
 
“It doesn't matter to me,” Akito shrugged.
 
“Ok, we'll meet you guys over at the house,” Sana waved to her friends.
 
“Ok!” Shouted Aya and Fuuka enthusiastically, followed by an exasperated `ok' by Tsuyoshi and Takaishi, who were both still very tired from loading all that luggage.
 
Slowly, Sana led Akito into the middle of town. Most of the time was spent in silence as Akito slowly absorbed his surroundings. Not many things had changed since he was last here. All the sights and sounds he had missed were all starting to come back to him. He was remembering how he had walked this way before, he couldn't recall when, but it all seemed so familiar. Many faces passed them in the crowd while they walked. None of them were recognizable, and thankfully none of them recognized Sana. The only ones he has seen that he truly cared for were his friends. He was glad to see them all at the airport, but he was especially grateful that he could be back in Japan with Sana; back with all the sights and sounds he grew up with, to remember his past and think about their future. Walking down the road, he didn't really care where she led him, as long as he could be with her.
 
“We're almost there,” Sana smiled at Akito. “I know that you've probably already seen it, but I thought that it would be nice for you to see it again. Here we are!”
 
Akito stopped and looked up at the long, three-story building that was going to be his high school. This is where he was going to be walking to starting next week. This is where he will be spending three-years of his life along with the most kind and caring girl he has ever met. Even though he has seen the school before, he was glad that Sana took him here.
 
“I thought that it would be good for you to learn your way from the school to your house, that way you don't have any excuses for missing the first day of school,” teased Sana.
 
“Thank you,” Akito whispered as he pulled her into a warm embrace.
 
Blushing, Sana replied, “I'm glad.”
 
Slowly, the pair bent their heads towards each other and kissed. This kiss was much easier for both of them, especially Sana. She had grown accustomed to being more romantic with Akito. Of course, Akito was always comfortable getting physical with Sana, but even he thought the same thing. They were starting to get adjusted to being a couple.
 
They walked the rest of the way back to Akito's house in a blissful silence. Sana was walking closer to Akito and he was holding Sana's hand even tighter than usual. They both understood that that kiss marked the beginning of their relationship back in Japan, and a beginning to many of the special things to come.
 
Once they made it back to his house, Akito noticed shadows of his friends inside the house running around. It also looked like one person was trying to put a banner up on his ceiling. As Sana rang the doorbell to warn everyone inside, Akito heard the scrambling of footsteps and whispers. Guess this is a surprise party for me. Akito thought that they might be planning something like this for him. It was something that Sana would do.
 
As Sana opened the door, a huge shout came from inside the house, “SURPRISE!”
 
Akito was greeted by all his friends from school. They had decorated the room and put up the banner that welcomed him back at the airport. There was even food spread out on a table.
 
“So, did we surprise you?” Sana inquired.
 
“Not really,” Akito remarked.
 
“What?” Sana screamed, readying her squeaky-hammer.
 
“But I am glad that you did it,” he quickly replied.
 
“Oh, good. Well, LET'S PARTY!” Sana shouted.
 
For the next few hours, everyone ate, danced, and welcomed back an old friend. Even Rei was enjoying himself at the party with all the teenagers. Although he kept on muttering to himself, “Must have fun for Asako, Asako would want me to have fun. Ha ha ha.”
 
As the night started to wind-down, many of the partygoers started to make their way back home. All except Sana, Fuuka, Aya, Hisae, Takaishi, Tsuyoshi, Gomi, and Rei who were there for the sleep-over. This was only element of the party that did surprise Akito.
 
“Ok, all the girls in Natsumi's room and all the boys in Akito's,” Sana ordered.
 
“What's all this?” Akito questioned.
 
“We're throwing you a sleep-over party!” Tsuyoshi blushed. “It's going to be boys and girls sleeping over tonight, but just a handful of us.”
 
“So, are you shocked? Afraid of sleeping over with all the girls only a few feet away from you?” Sana teased Akito.
 
“Not really. And it's not like I haven't spent the night with you before,” Akito said flatly.
 
Sana completely forgot about the time when she spent the night over at the Hayama's when her mother's book My Daughter and I came out and also the time she spent the night with him in a hotel room when she had that sickness. Though they haven't done anything beyond kissing.
 
“Akito! Can you teach me how to be more romantic with Aya?” Tsuyoshi whispered.
 
“Sure, I can give you a few pointers tonight . . .”
 
Akito never got a chance to finish that sentence as he was landed by an onslaught of attacks from Sana. “Don't think that you or any of the boys will be able to get fresh with anyone tonight! I have Rei-kun guarding the halls to make sure no boys try to sneak into the girls room,” Sana laughed triumphantly.
 
“Yes, I going to make sure that you kids don't do anything indecent in the middle of the night,” Rei lectured.
 
“Hmph, like one man is going to be able to stop four teenage boys,” Akito smirked.
 
Driven by their hormones, Gomi and Takaishi stood right beside Akito in a defiant manner. “Yeah, we're right behind you Akito!”
 
Poor Tsuyoshi was torn between his sense of duty and his urges as a man. “What am I going to do?”
 
“If any of you boys even get near us tonight, we're going to beat you up!” Sana glared back at Akito.
 
Hisae and Fuuka followed Sana's lead. “Right, don't even think you guys can get near us tonight!”
 
Aya was caught in the middle, not sure whether she should give into peer pressure or her love for Tsuyoshi. “What am I going to do?”
 
“Nobody can sleep anywhere tonight until we clean up some of the rooms! How do you expect to sleep when the rooms are all filled with boxes,” Rei interjected.
 
“Oh yeah! You do have a point! Come on everyone, let's help move all the boxes,” Tsuyoshi quickly stated, trying to divert everyone's attention from their bickering. Whew! Now I don't have to fight against Aya.
 
“Wow, you do have a point there. I guess we'll have to finish this off later,” Sana sighed. “Come on Akito, let's go clean out your room!”
 
“Yeah, sure,” as Akito walked into his room with Sana.
 
The other couples did the same and started to move boxes out of the rooms and into one of the spare rooms. A few boxes needed to be stacked in the hall area and even moved downstairs where the living room was still vacant. Slowly, the den was transformed into a storage area with a few traces of party favors that had not been cleaned up from earlier.
 
“This is getting no where. Are there any boxes we can unpack?” Hisae asked.
 
“Yeah, they should all be labeled,” Akito replied.
 
Sana started to look through the plethora of boxes to see if there were any she could open. Akito was quietly moving boxes around in his room and unpacking a few things. Watching her boyfriend, she felt guilty for starting that fight earlier. Why do I always argue with him? Whenever it's just us, I'm always so enraptured by him, I can't think of anything else but just being closer to him. But whenever we're together with other people, I act so different. I wonder if that will change? He doesn't seem to be bothered by it, but then, nothing seems to bother him. Oh well, I guess I shouldn't worry too much. Well, better get back to work.
 
“Let's see, this box says `Batteries and Flashlights.' Hey, we could use this,” as Sana proceeded to open the box. “Ha ha, now we have flashlights to play with in the middle of the night,” slowly scanning the room with the flashlight.
 
As Sana rummaged through the box, she noticed a neatly cut out crumpled piece of newspaper that was used as packing material. This piece of newspaper was different from all the other pieces of packing paper. This was cut out carefully and didn't have anything extra on it except this one section of the newspaper that looked like an article or editorial. “Hm? What's this? Ah, it's in English!” Sana said frustrated. It looked like an interesting article, and I really wanted to read it. “Akito, could you translate this for me?”
 
“This?” as Akito started to read the article. “Oh, it just some stupid advice column that they have in the States. I think it's called `Dear Abby.'”
 
“Well, what does it say?” Sana asked.
 
“Nothing much really. It's kind of stupid,” Akito snorted.
 
“Well?”
 
“I'm not going to tell you! It's stupid. You really don't need to know,” brushing her aside.
 
“Well, fine! I'm just going to keep this article and try to translate it myself!” Sana snatched the crumpled piece of paper from Akito's hand and placed it in her pocket.
 
“Suit yourself,” Akito shrugged. But he did worry a bit about what was in that `Dear Abby' column. Stop worrying, she's not going to translate it. And even if she does, she wouldn't think anything of it.
 
After two hours of moving and unpacking boxes everyone was so tired, they forgot about their earlier bickering and just filed into their appropriate rooms to turn in for the night. All the girls made their way to Natsumi's room and all the boys to Akito's while Rei remained outside in the hall, quietly thinking to himself.
 
Rei couldn't get his mind off of the problems he'd been having since he and Asako decided to make their relationship public. He was questioning whether or not it was a good idea. His head was so filled with worries he didn't realize that when he eventually fell asleep, it was right in front of the bathroom door.
 
Akito stumbled out of his room like a zombie. He had been careful not to step on any of his sleeping friends while trying to reach the door. Rubbing his eyes, he made his way to the bathroom only to find Rei blocking his way. “Oi, wake up!” as Akito kicked him in the side.
 
“Huh? What? Oh, Akito! It's just you,” Rei took his sunglasses off to rub his eyes. “What are you doing up so late?”
 
Akito just pointed to the door that Rei was seated in front of and motioned for him to move.
 
“Oh, sorry! Go right ahead,” bowing his head apologetically.
 
As Akito entered the bathroom, Rei slumped down onto the floor. Those annoying thoughts about how his life has been these past few days seeped into his mind once more like a poison. He loved Asako dearly, but he wasn't sure if his love could measure up to what the public expected; he wasn't sure if it was worth it.
 
“I'm done now,” Akito said as he stepped out of the bathroom.
 
“Oh,” Rei sighed. He still had his sunglasses off, but there was no life in his eyes. All Rei was doing was just staring mindlessly at the floorboards.
 
Akito glanced at Rei as he past him and noticed his distress. Not sure whether he should say something or not, Akito paused just outside his door.
 
“Akito, may I have word with you?” Rei asked, still staring at the floor.
 
“Yeah, what do you want?” as Akito slowly walked back to where Rei was slumped.
 
“Akito, do you love Sana?” as Rei looked up at Akito for his answer.
 
Akito just stood there silently, no one had ever asked him this question, so he wasn't really quite sure what to say. It made it even more difficult that Rei was asking it. Akito knew that he was serious since he could actually see the intensity in his eyes. He wasn't staring back at him with those goofy sunglasses.
 
“I need to know Akito. Do you love Sana? And I don't mean just that you like her. I already know that, but do you love her, deep down from your heart? Is she the only girl you think about? The one you would do almost anything for?” as Rei gave Akito a piercing stare while waiting for an answer.
 
Akito's heart was racing as he pondered this question. Do I love her? There was no love in this heart until I met her. I had no way of feeling, of being human, until she came into my life. She changed everything and opened my eyes to things I never thought existed. Love isn't a strong enough word to describe my feelings for Sana. Sana is my life.
 
“Yes,” Akito nodded.
 
“Good, cause if you didn't, I wouldn't give you this warning. Akito, listen carefully. When you finally get around to asking Sana to marry you, the hardest part will not be actually asking her, but dealing with how your life is going to change after everyone finds out. I'm sure you saw the press conference that Asako and I held, I know you're not ignorant to how much I've been suffering since that time. I haven't been able to live my own life. I can't even be with Asako without being bombarded by cameras and reporters. I want you to know that the life of an actress is riddled with stress, gossip, and constantly belittling yourself to please the public eye. I admit I've done it! I've had to swallow up my pride and let people walk all over me. But that is the role you will undertake, if you ever become part of an actress's life, if you ever decide to be a part of Sana's life.”
 
“Why don't you ask her to quit acting?”
 
“It was her choice, she choose this path. I can't just make her give up her life-long dreams, even if it hinders mine. I love her too much to do it,” Rei sobbed. “And if you truly love Sana, you won't let her give up her dreams either. She's worked too hard to get to where she is now and so has Asako.”
 
Akito couldn't find any words that would help console Rei, or the painful realization that his words unveiled. He knew that Rei was troubled by how his life was after announcing his engagement to Asako, but he never realized how this agony would affect him. Rei's words etched themselves onto Akito's conscious, slowly trying to rip a hole into the fragile fabric of Akito's emotions for Sana. The beast that had been lurking within Akito's conscious finally leapt out of the shadows and sank its teeth deep into Akito's heart.
 
* * *
 
Akito finally made it back home after failing to find a ring that was suitable for Sana. He didn't want to admit it, but he was afraid of those words that were said to him so long ago. He could never forget the scars that they left.
 
“Oh, Akito, you're home already?” Akito's father called from the kitchen.
 
“Yeah,” as Akito started to make his way back to his room.
 
“Akito, I want to show you something,” motioning for Akito to follow him into the master bedroom.
 
Akito just stood in the doorway as he saw his father rummage through a dresser drawer. Mr. Hayama finally found what he was looking for and pulled out a small black velvet jewelry box.
 
“I know you've been looking for a ring for Sana recently, but I though you might want to take a look at this one,” as Mr. Hayama opened the small box to reveal a simple gold ring with a beautiful sparkling diamond. There was something outstanding about this ring that Akito couldn't quite pinpoint, but it was a far better ring than any of the ones at the store. “This ring was your mother's. It was actually the ring I used when I asked her to marry me. I thought that you might want to give it to Sana. I know your mother would like that.”
 
“Yeah, thanks,” Akito said as he took the box from his father. He was stunned to see that his dad had such good taste in jewelry, and also that this ring was probably the perfect ring for Sana. It wasn't too flashy or gaudy it was just simple.
 
“I wanted to give it to Natsumi before she got married, but her husband knows her tastes much better than I do,” Mr. Hayama laughed. “But I hope that I can see you and Sana married soon. Good luck son,” as Mr. Hayama patted Akito on the back.
 
Akito was speechless. He had finally found a ring for Sana, now he just needed to propose. Akito made his way back to his room and plopped himself down on his bed. Staring at the ring his dad had given him he started to think about what his life will be like with Sana as his wife. The excitement of finally finding a ring had temporarily eased the painful memories of Rei's words, but as he started to think about his future, those words started to cloud it. “I've had to swallow up my pride and let people walk all over me. But that is the role you will undertake, if you ever become part of an actress's life, if you ever decide to be a part of Sana's life.”
 
Akito quickly shut the box and placed it on the nightstand. Why are you thinking about that now? Mr. Sunglasses and Asako are happily married now. They have a daughter and they're happy, right? Right? Still, Mr. Sunglasses has to play for Asako's love, like one of her adoring fans. Though he and his daughter get priority, they still have to wait in line for her affection. I don't want that! I don't want to have to do that with Sana. I can't accept that fate!
 
* * *
 
Naozumi walked into the same jewelry store that Akito has left earlier in the day empty-handed. Making his way to the exact same counter that Akito was staring at earlier, Naozumi briefly looked in and motioned for the lady behind the counter.
 
“Y-yes, may I help you?” The lady asked nervously, obviously recognizing Naozumi.
 
“I would like to purchase a ring in this case. The one to the far back on the left-hand side,” pointing to one of the most elaborate rings that was in the store.
 
“Th-this one sir?” carefully bringing the ring up closer to the handsome young actor.
 
“Yes, that will do,” pleased with his selection.
 
Looking around the store while the lady rang up the purchase, a poster advertising wedding bands caught Naozumi's eye. The picture had a beautiful woman dressed in a white bridal gown with her husband standing right behind her, wrapping his arms around the woman's waist.
 
I have stood idly much too long. I have patiently watched Sana's career as an actress blossom and stood by her side during most of the highlights, yet he still stands in my way. What does she see in him? He can't possibly love her the way I do? What can he do to help her fulfill her dreams, to nurture her career as an actress? I want to be the man wrapping his arms around Sana's waist during our wedding day, not him. I know that they may still be together, but I must take this chance. I must know if my life and Sana's are fated.
 
End of Something Borrowed
(continued…)