Kodomo No Omocha Fan Fiction ❯ Something White ❯ Something Blue (part 1) ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Note: I do not own or claim to own Kodomo no Omocha. By the power of Greyskull!
 
Something Blue (part 1)
 
Akito stared at the ceiling admiring the cracks and paint chips. Gazing at the fissures, he started to trace his finger in the air following one that reached from the end of the ceiling to the far wall. He was trying to get his mind off of that unsettling feeling left by Rei's words. It was like phlegm stuck to the back of your mouth that you can't loosen up. Turning to the side, his eyes landed on the black velvet box that his dad had given him. The box that had the ring he would use to propose to Sana, if he ever mustered the courage.
 
Suddenly, Akito's cell phone started to ring. Slowly lifting himself off the bed, he walked over to his desk where he left his phone.
 
“Yo,” Akito answered.
 
“Hey honey!” a woman's voice echoed on the other line.
 
“Hey.”
 
“Have any plans for tonight?”
 
“No, not really.”
 
“Great, Tsuyoshi and Aya want to meet us for dinner tonight over that nice Italian restaurant by our favorite coffee shop. We're meeting at seven sharp! Want to meet me at our usual spot?”
 
“Yeah, sure.”
 
“Ok, I'll meet you there in a little bit. Oh, before I forget! Mama had to leave on a business trip for one of her next projects. She's going to be gone this whole weekend until Tuesday. Want to come over?”
 
“Yeah, that shouldn't be a problem.”
 
“Great! I love you! Oh, and be sure to dress nicely for the dinner!”
 
Akito sighed as he hung-up the phone. Quickly pulling on some brown slacks, Akito put on an undershirt and fished through his closet for his white button-down. He picked up his favorite tie; one that Sana had gotten him for one of his birthdays. It had a blue-background with little green dinosaurs all around it. Skillfully, Akito tied his tie in a double-windsor knot and glanced his watch to check on the time. I guess I should leave now so I can get to our meeting place on time.
 
As if he had spent the night over at Sana's before, Akito pulled out his backpack that already had some clothes and personal items in it. He was slowly scanning the room to make sure that he had everything he would need. He eyes stopped on the black velvet box his father had given him earlier. I wonder if I should bring this? Carefully, Akito picked up the small box on his nightstand. Better not. It's too early. I still need time to think it over.
 
Grabbing his black trench coat on the chair, he yelled down to his dad, “Hey, I'm going over to meet friends for dinner and then spending the night over at Sana's!”
 
“Ok, have a good time and tell Sana I said `Hi.'”
 
As Akito left the house, he breathed a sigh of relief. After Rei got married he moved out of Sana's house giving Sana and Akito a lot more opportunities to have some private time together. They had been having sex for quite some time now and both Sana's mother and his dad knew, but it never quite felt comfortable telling his dad he was staying at her house, suggesting the obvious.
 
He finally made it to the park and plopped his backpack down on the bench. Looking down at his watch, he realized that he was a few minutes early. As he sat down, he started to think about how he should propose to Sana and when. He couldn't just go up and ask her, that wasn't romantic enough and she wouldn't like that.
 
“Akito!” Sana yelled. She was running towards him as fast as she could, looking like one of those clothing models who are advertising this year's winter jackets. She wore a short black velvet dress that made her look quite intoxicating, which made Akito all the more excited about their after-dinner plans.
 
Akito's eyes calmed whenever he saw her. Sitting-up to meet her, he let her jump into his arms. “Hey, you're hyper as usual,” he replied as he bent down to give her a kiss, forgetting all his earlier worries.
 
“Well, I have to be, Aya said that she and Tsuyoshi have something exciting to tell us. Come on, let's hurry up or we'll be late!” grabbing his arm and dragging him along with her.
 
Throughout their long relationship, Akito still never really smiled whenever they were walking in public. His emotionless face had matured, but he remained stoic. Despite the many times they have been spotted in public holding hands or going on a date together, no one was convinced that Akito was Sana's boyfriend. His stone-cold expression gave the public the impression that he was just her bodyguard, which was fine in Akito opinion, but that still left the door open for the media to relentlessly pair her and Naozumi together and that always irritated him.
 
The couple finally made it to the restaurant where they were to meet Tsuyoshi and Aya. As they entered the restaurant, they spotted their friends already sitting at a table anxiously waiting for their arrival.
 
“Oh, Akito-kun, Sana-chan! I'm glad you finally made it!” Tsuyoshi sat up in his chair to greet his life-long friends.
 
Aya and Sana hugged while Akito and Tsuyoshi just shook hands. As Aya was sitting down, Akito noticed a glimmer come from her left hand and he knew what the huge announcement was.
 
“So, what's the big news?” Sana asked, oblivious to the ring that was on Aya's hand.
 
“Well, . . .” Aya started blushing. Too embarrassed to say the good news, she tugged on Tsuyoshi's dress shirt.
 
“Well, we . . .we've finally gotten engaged!” Tsuyoshi finally blurted out.
 
“That's great! Congratulations!” Sana hugged Aya and Tsuyoshi. “We have to celebrate! I'm treating you all to dinner. Waiter! Please bring us a bottle of champagne and four glasses.”
 
The waiter bowed in acknowledgement and scuffled off to get the champagne. The four friends chatted about all the memories they had as kids growing up. Akito and Tsuyoshi also talked about the work they needed to do for grad school while the girls chatted about their ideal wedding. After they emptied the second bottle of champagne, Sana felt the alcohol hit her bladder.
 
“Excuse me, I need to powder my nose,” Sana giggled. “Aya, want to come along?”
 
“Sure, I'll be right back,” as Aya smiled at Tsuyoshi. Leaving the two guys at the table, Sana led Aya to the bathroom so they could talk.
 
“So Aya? How did he propose?” Sana inquired.
 
“Well, how do I start?”Aya blushed as she looked down at the ring that Tsuyoshi had so lovingly given her that day.
 
“Let me help!” Babbit popped up wearing a director's hat. “Just call me Director-Babbit! I've prepared something special to retell the story about how he proposed!”
 
“Oh, you again. I guess it will be ok. Do you want him to tell the story?” Sana said as he pointed to Director-Babbit.
 
“Yeah, sure,” Aya nodded, still too embarrassed to speak.
 
“Ok, fine, go ahead. But it better be good!” Sana lectured.
 
“Hey, I'm giving it my best,” Director-Babbit said as he nervously tugged at his hat. “First let me introduce the characters! First we have Tsuyoshi-Babbit,” pointing to the babbit with glasses who was walking in front of a makeshift babbit-sized stage.
 
“Next is Aya-Babbit,” as Aya-babbit walked in with an Aya-styled wig.
 
“And for our last two set of characters, Aya's parents the Sugita-Babbits!” Two babbits walked in dressed as Aya's parents.
 
“Ok, curtain call!” Director-Babbit called out from a megaphone he pulled out of nowhere. The other babbits scrambled to get behind the curtain and take their places.
 
Sana and Aya waited for the little babbit-sized curtain to open so they could see the little babbit play.
 
“Ladies in the women's restroom, thank you for coming this evening. Please remember, no flash photography and smoking is prohibited during the production. Now, I would like to present to your our play for this evening,” as Director-Babbit took a quick bow and exited the stage as the curtain began to open.
 
Sana and Aya looked onto the little stage and saw a miniaturized part of Aya's house. The dining room was stage left and all the babbit characters were having a nice dinner. Right next to the dining room was the kitchen that had one of those swinging doors that allowed quick access to the dining area.
 
MR SUGITA-BABBIT: That was a nice dinner. I'm glad you could spend it with us Tsuyoshi.
 
TSUYOSHI-BABBIT: Thank you for having me Mr. Sugita.
 
MR SUGITA-BABBIT: Oh, don't worry, we always welcome you here.
 
MRS. SUGITA-BABBIT: Yes, we almost think of you as part of our family.
 
AYA-BABBIT blushes as she's picking up some of the dishes. TSUYOSHI-BABBIT also blushes
 
MRS. SUGITA-BABBIT: come on now Aya-chan, let's clean up.
 
AYA-BABBIT: Yes, coming. looks and smiles at TSUYOSHI-BABBIT
 
MRS. SUGITA-BABBIT and AYA-BABBIT walk into the kitchen and start cleaning up the plates. MR. SUGITA-BABBIT and TSUYOSHI-BABBIT are still sitting it the dining room drinking some coffee. TSUYOSHI-BABBIT nervously fiddling with something in his vest pocket.
 
TSUYOSHI-BABBIT: So, Mr. Sugita? I was wondering . . . well . . . still fiddling with object in vest pocket.
 
MR. SUGITA-BABBIT: Yes? just drinks the coffee and smiles.
 
TSUYOSHI-BABBIT hesitates out of nervousness and stares at his cup of coffee on the tables for a few minutes. Meanwhile, AYA-BABBIT finishes cleaning up some of the plates and proceeds to walk back into the dining room to pick up a few more dishes.
 
TSUYOSHI-BABBIT: finally mustering up the courage, pulls out a ring he was keeping in his vest pocket. Mr. Sugita? May I take your daughter's hand in marriage?
 
AYA-BABBIT enters right as TSUYOSHI-BABBIT asking MR. SUGITA-BABBIT for her hand in marriage. AYA-BABBIT blushes in shock and happiness.
 
AYA-BABBIT: Yes, yes I will. answering TSUYOSHI-BABBIT'S question.
 
TSUYOSHI-BABBIT: blushing Aya-chan! walks over to AYA-BABBIT and then gets down on one knee. Take the ring and puts it over her wing.
 
“Ok, cut!” Director-Babbit shouts over his megaphone as the curtains close. All the babbits walk out onto the stage and take a bow.
 
“Wow, that's so romantic,” as Sana clapped for the mini-babbit actors and actresses.
 
“Yes, I guess that is how it happened. But when do you think Akito is going to propose?” Aya inquired.
 
“Oh, I don't know. I mean we've been going out for ten years now. I'm sure that he's planning to do it soon,” Sana managed a laugh. I just hope that he doesn't wait too long.
 
“So why do girls always have to go to the bathroom at the same time?” Akito questioned.
 
“Oh, you know how girls are. But you know Akito?” as Tsuyoshi ran his finger along his champagne glass. “I'm really worried about something.”
 
Akito looked up at his friend with a concerned look on his face. “It's your temper, isn't it?”
 
Tsuyoshi stopped what he was doing to glance up at his friend with a surprised look in his eye. “Yeah,” as he lowered his head once more. “I don't want my marriage with Aya to end up like my parents. One of the main reasons why they got a divorce was because my father couldn't control his temper. The older I get, the more and more I feel like I'm turning into that man.”
 
“Don't worry, I'll make sure to keep you in line,” trying to find some comforting words for his best friend. “And if worst comes to worst, you can hire me to teach Aya how to chop you on the head. I got my third-degree black belt last month, so it shouldn't be hard.”
 
“Thanks Akito,” Tsuyoshi smiled. “But how about you and Sana? Have you finally found an engagement ring?”
 
“Yeah, my dad got me one,” as Akito finished off his champagne. “It was my mother's engagement ring.”
 
“Oh really? Sana's going to love that. You know how she is with all that sentimental stuff. But when are you going to pop the question?”
 
“I'm not sure yet. You know how Sana is, I'm sure that she wants it to be perfect, but I'll think of something,” Akito said seriously.
 
He didn't want to tell his best friend about some of the worries he'd been having: some of his doubts. Akito and Sana have been dating seriously for almost as long as Tsuyoshi and Aya, but their relationship wasn't as perfect. He and Sana would sometimes argue bitterly about the smallest thing. It was partly his fault for not being able to convey his true feelings and Sana's fault for being dense about matters of love. They still lacked that one trait couples need to survive: trust.
 
Sana and Aya finally finished their talk in the bathroom and met up with their dates at the table. After Sana finished paying the bill, the two couples left the restaurant making their way back home.
 
“Wow, that was such a nice dinner,” Sana said with a smile, remembering the wonderful meal she just ate.
 
“Yes, it was. I'm glad you all could come. Aya and I were so excited about telling you both about our engagement. Hopefully soon we'll be celebrating your engagement!” Tsuyoshi said as he winked at Akito.
 
Sana just laughed while Akito glared at Tsuyoshi with a look of horror in his face. “Oh, we'll definitely let you know when that happens, right Akito?” Sana nudged Akito in the side.
 
Akito re-adjusted the backpack on his shoulders and replied with a simple shrug.
 
“Well, it's getting late and we better head back. I need to escort Aya back home, but luckily for us it's the weekend and she doesn't have a class to teach tomorrow,” Tsuyoshi said.
 
“Yes, thankfully. Oh, Akito! That reminds me! One of the students in my class acts just like you,” Aya laughed.
 
“What! A mini-Akito! I have to visit one of your classes to see him. I wonder if he's just as cute as Akito was when he was in 6th grade,” poking fun at her boyfriend.
 
“Hmph! But we better get going, it's late,” Akito said looking at his watch.
 
“Ok, take care!” Tsuyoshi and Aya waved.
 
While the four friends were waving their good-byes, they didn't notice the two street thugs hiding in the shadows.
 
“Ok, it looks like they're breaking up into pairs! Which ones should we go for?”
 
“I don't like the looks of that blonde-haired guy. He looks pretty tough to me.”
 
“Yeah, but his date looks a lot like Sana Kurata. Wouldn't it be nice if we could . . .”
 
“Naw, too risky. The guy she's with would probably kill us before we got our hands on her. The other couple is going to be easier. That guy with the glasses looks harmless and the broad he has ain't half-bad.”
 
“Ok, let's go!”
 
Akito and Sana started walking back to her house hand in hand. “It's so nice to see those two together,” Sana sighed.
 
“Yeah,” Akito replied as he looked into Sana's eyes. She looked so beautiful. Just looking at her like that washed away all the doubts that had been littering his mind. He really regretted not bringing the ring just now.
 
“You know Akito? I was wondering if—” Sana's sentence was cut off by a blood-curdling scream coming from Aya and Tsuyoshi's direction.
 
Sana and Akito looked at each other in fear of the worse before they both ran towards their friends. Once they finally made it, they saw Tsuyoshi half-kneeling on the ground with one of his hands on the back of his head. It looked like he was struck from behind by the man standing over him with the baseball bat. Aya, who was being held by another man, just looked on in horror. She tried to scream again, but the man just held his hand to her mouth; however, that one scream was enough. Before Akito or Sana got a chance to help their friends, Tsuyoshi's eyes started to glow with anger.
 
“Let her go!” Tsuyoshi screamed at the man holding Aya.
 
The man who had the baseball bat tried to strike Tsuyoshi down again, but suddenly Tsuyoshi grabbed the man's baseball bat by the end and pushed it forward so the handle hit the man in the face. The man fell down holding his nose, which was bleeding profusely. Grabbing the baseball bat, Tsuyoshi said once more, “Let her go!” Keeping his eye on the other man to make sure that he released Aya, Tsuyoshi proceeded to kick the other man who was down on the ground with a broken nose.
 
“Dude, you can have her!” as the man released Aya and bolted the other way.
 
Tsuyoshi started to swing the bat recklessly around him as he screamed and stomped his feet. The other man, who was still lying on the ground, started to crawl away and eventually got back onto his feet to run away from the madman before him. Even though Aya was safe now, Tsuyoshi was still slashing at the air with all his strength.
 
“Tsuyoshi-kun, please stop!” Aya pleaded with him as tears began to form in her eyes.
 
Sana started to heads towards her friends to help them, when Akito stopped her with his arm. He just shook his head and looked at her with a serious look, as if indicating that he wanted to let Aya try and help Tsuyoshi her own way. Sana and Akito just stood by and watched while Aya tried to calm their friend.
 
“Tsuyoshi-kun, please! I'm ok now. Please stop!” as Aya reached her hand out to her fiancé, hoping that her tears and her words would sooth the savage beast before her.
 
Aya started to inch closer to him, still pleading to him. Blinded by his rage, Tsuyoshi was still swinging aimlessly at the air. One of his swings nearly struck Aya as she slowly approached him. Aya, feeling the air being sliced in half by the baseball bat and almost striking her, jumped back with a yelp.
 
This small scream of fear made the berserk Tsuyoshi turn towards Aya. What he saw made him stop one of his swings in mid-air. Tears were streaming down Aya's face and her hand was retracted back towards her body in a defensive position as if she were facing some strange beast. But what really struck him was not that the woman he loved was standing right there crying, but that the she had fear in her eyes, fear of him. Tsuyoshi dropped the bat finally realizing what he had done.
 
“I'm so sorry Aya, will you ever forgive me?” Tsuyoshi fell to his knees burying his head into his hands trying to stop the tears from falling. “I'm so sorry,” ashamed that he almost hurt the one woman he loved more than anything in this world.
 
Aya's fear subsided and she ran to Tsuyoshi, hugging him and rocking him back and forth to calm him down. “It's ok. I forgive you. I forgive you,” she whispered softly, finally crying tears of joy that he was finally safe and back to the caring Tsuyoshi she fell in love with so many years ago.
 
“I love you Aya,” Tsuyoshi whispered as he wrapped his arms around her.
 
“I love you too.”
 
Sana and Akito watched on glad to see that their friends were finally safe from harm. “We'd better call the police to report those thugs,” Sana said concerned as she pulled out her cell phone.
 
“Yeah, also an ambulance. I know Tsuyoshi was hit on the head pretty hard,” Akito added. He felt amazed and proud at the same time after watching the scene unfold between Aya and Tsuyoshi. This was the first time Tsuyoshi stopped his rampage without being hit on the head. Maybe I won't have to teach Aya how to karate chop him on the head after all.
 
End of Something Blue (part 1)
 
(continued…)