Kyou Kara Maou Fan Fiction ❯ But I Don't Like Boys? ❯ Sunrise ( Chapter 12 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

But I Don't Like Boys? By Shukumei
 
Disclaimer: Same as before.
 
Warnings/Spoilers: This does take place after the end of the anime series, but as of right now, there's not too much in the way of spoilers. This is a boy/boy love story, and therefore, two guys will be involved in a relationship together. If this isn't your cup of tea, I'm wondering why you got all the way to this chapter... Also, rating may or may not go up in later chapters.
 
Author yapping: Since I'm really excited about this chapter, I didn't really proofread through it much; I'm sorry. But do enjoy!
 
-o-o-
 
Chapter 12: Sunrise
 
Yuri opened his eyes and looked up into the morning sky. The Sun had been slowly creeping its way to the horizon while he and Wolfram had been talking with Amelia in the horse stable, making the sky a soft blue with a hint of orange along the mountain tops and the clouds were tinted pink, a nice wash of cool pastels that varied to the hot reds and oranges that came with the setting of the Sun. He turned to the East, where the light was the brightest to see that the Sun had yet to rise over the mountain tops.
 
The king sat up and looked down to see Wolfram pushing himself off the ground on his hands and knees, feeling around in the blades of grass. “Is this the place then?” Wolfram asked as he sat back with his legs under him.
 
“Just a little further.” Yuri took Wolfram's hand and stood up, pulling the blonde up with him.
 
A large tree sat atop the hill overlooking the village, and Yuri guided Wolfram to it, letting Wolfram feel the bark under his fingers. Yuri reached out as he stood behind Wolfram to remove the blindfold. The blonde stood still and balanced his weight on the tree trunk. As the white cloth fell away from his eyes, he blinked. “Oh, Yuri,” Wolfram said and pushed himself away from the tree to look down the hill to the castle and village below. He smiled.
 
Yuri sat down at the base of the tree, leaning his back against it and looked over the village to the light flowing from beyond the mountains. He smiled up at Wolfram, not exactly sure what to do now that they were truly alone and in the place he had wanted to bring him.
 
Wolfram sat beside Yuri, drawing his knees up to his chest and resting his chin on one of his knees. “Now that you've got me out here, did you want to talk about anything?” He tilted his head a little. “Or did you want to just enjoy the view?”
 
The king pondered for a moment, furrowing his eyebrows, confusion still nagging away at his conscience. “I'm not sure what I want to do now. When I woke up this morning, I realized the Sun hadn't come up yet, and I thought we could watch it together.” He sighed. “But of course, the trip here was a little longer than I anticipated, and it was blown way out of proportion.”
 
Wolfram softly giggled into his knees. “Well, you did run around with such a sense of urgency…”
 
Again, the boys sat in silence, awaiting the rising of the Sun over the mountains. The air was cool high above the village, and Wolfram shivered as a breeze floated by. The blonde scooted closer to Yuri and slowly placed the side of his head on Yuri's shoulder. The king tensed for a moment, looking down to Wolfram, but smiled and turned back to watch the brightening light.
 
“Hey, Yuri?”
 
“Yeah?”
 
Wolfram took in a deep breathe and slowly let it out. “I know - I know your mom talked you into this whole this thing. I want to know if you're really okay with trying to see if a relationship will work out for us. We - you've denied it so much in the past, and I…” He bit on his lower lip nervously. “I mean, I don't want to ruin anything. If you're willing to try, maybe I should be happy just for that, but -"
 
Yuri kept his eyes on glowing mountains. “I guess it's not fair for me to deny you love because of your gender. I don't think it's fair to deny love for any reason. Like Nicola and Huber. So what if she's a human and he's a Mazoku. Although, that's a little different than guy/guy relationships…” Yuri tilted his head to rest it on the top of Wolfram's head and smiled. “I haven't really let this guy thing sink in a lot, but maybe it can't be so bad. I think I could have fallen for you if you were a girl, simply because my heart and head wouldn't have to fight about it.” Yuri snickered. “Then again, you're bratty and demanding, and I don't think I'd like that in a girl.”
 
“Well, you're not all that great of a catch yourself.” Wolfram snorted.
 
“And how is that?” Yuri gently shrugged his shoulder, and Wolfram sat up to look at Yuri.
 
“You make some of the most moronic decisions. You're a cheater-“
 
“I haven't cheated on any body! That's all you over-analyzing the situation.” Yuri cut in, pointedly waving a finger at Wolfram.
 
“I have every right to be jealous! You're my fiancé, you're the king, you're good-looking, you're overly nice and kind to everyone. So of course everyone in the kingdom is out to get on your good side, and most of them want to wriggle their way into your heart, a damn hard place to get to if you ask me-"
 
“But you are in my heart, Wolfram.” Yuri sadly smiled. “Just not in the way that you want it to be. And I… I'm trying to get you there…”
 
Wolfram gazed at Yuri with his big emerald eyes as he smiled. “This may sound a little silly but… Is this romantic enough for a kiss?” Wolfram averted his eyes and gently blushed.
 
Yuri watched as the pink-orange glow of the Sun peeked over the mountains, finally coming to greet the day. He turned back to Wolfram with a slight blush as well and replied, “Actually, it is.”
 
Wolfram shyly smiled and leaned towards his fiancé, putting a hand on Yuri's thigh and the other reaching up to cup his cheek. Yuri didn't back away or refuse Wolfram's advances; after all, he'd been the one to okay it, but he did find himself thinking far too much about the situation. His heart had begun hammering in his chest as Wolfram's fingers came in contact with his cheekbone, and he swallowed hard. This was going to be his first consensual kiss, and with a guy nonetheless; he was totally going to screw this up. Yuri closed his eyes and swallowed again as he felt Wolfram's warm breath on his chin.
 
Yuri heard Wolfram's deep and shuddering breaths, heard the blonde swallow just had he had earlier. Wolfram shouldn't have been nervous about this, he'd been the one to ask for a kiss and the one to initiate one not two hours ago. But Yuri did find some confidence in the reality that Wolfram was at least a little bit unsure, anxious, just as he was.
 
The king opened his eyes a little to better see what he was doing; it would not do to bonk each other's noses. Yuri scooted a hair closer to Wolfram and twisted his body so he could place the top of his fingers under Wolfram's jaw and his thumb on Wolfram's chin to guide the blonde's already titled head. At this angle, Yuri had to drop his head down and push his fingers with a slight pressure to bring Wolfram's chin up. And Yuri captured Wolfram's lips with his own. Yuri felt Wolfram slightly pull back and his sharp intake of breath as if the blonde hadn't been expecting the kiss after all, but the black-haired king held Wolfram's chin in place, his head moving with the prince's to keep their lips together.
 
The kiss was short, just a slight pressure of lips touching, a gentle caress. Yuri found it similar to earlier's kiss, and yet, so much more different. It hadn't been unexpected, and Yuri had the chance to feel Wolfram's soft and warm lips. Yuri wondered for the briefest of moments what would happen if he moved a little and possibly deepened the kiss, until Wolfram pulled away. The blonde sighed as their lips parted, slowly dropping his hand to Yuri's chest, feeling his heart beating. They drew back from one another, bashfully smiling until Yuri's turned into some sort of grin and Wolfram's cheeks turned redder, turning his eyes away.
 
Yuri was willing to admit that he had enjoyed it. The mood had certainly been romantic enough to soothe his nerves, and although his first real kiss had been with a male, Yuri didn't mind too much. This sort of stuff was what Wolfram wanted in their relationship, something that showed him that Yuri was actually willing to participate, within certain limits, of course.
 
“So, um…” Yuri scratched the back of his neck as he watched the full roundness of the Sun gradually rising into the sky. “What now?”
 
Wolfram returned to his original position with his chin in his knees. “Why?”
 
“Eh?” Yuri's hand paused. “Why what?”
 
Wolfram buried his face in his knees, only his eyes visible over the curve of his shoulder. “You,” he swallowed and closed his eyes, “you kissed me.”
 
“You didn't want me to?” Yuri furrowed his eyebrows at the blonde. “I thought that's what you wanted. Did - did you not… like it?”
 
Wolfram's eyes widened, and he turned to look at Yuri. “No, that's not it. I mean, I did enjoy it,” he cast his eyes away with a slight blush. “I want to know why you did it, Yuri.”
 
Yuri leaned forward, situating himself in a similar position as Wolfram but with one knee drawn up to his chest. “I guess this gets back into why I want to try dating you. Let's just leave it at that I wanted to. Not everything has to be explained right away.” Yuri gazed at Wolfram. “Especially when I haven't figured it all out yet.”
 
“Greta might be waking up soon and wondering why we're not there…” Wolfram changed the subject with a nod.
 
Yuri laughed. “You had a date with her today, didn't you?”
 
“Yeah…” Wolfram sighed. “But is it all right if we stay here just a little longer?”
 
“That's fine.”
 
So they sat in silence again, watching the Sun, blushing every now and then as they recalled their slightly intimate moment. When the sky had finally returned to its normal blue color, and Wolfram found himself starting to lean against Yuri drowsily, Yuri stated that they should get back before they got too relaxed and fell asleep. Wolfram nodded and rubbed his eyes, yawning. Yuri returned the yawn and giggled.
 
“Stop yawning. You're gonna make me tired, too, and I slept half the day away yesterday.” Yuri stretched as he stood up.
 
Wolfram stretched his arms over his head. “Well, I'm sorry that I'm so boring.”
 
Yuri held out his hand to help Wolfram up. “I never said you were boring. In fact,” he pulled Wolfram to his feet, “I think you're quite interesting. You really keep me on my toes with your flippant attitudes and offbeat personality. It's no wonder your element is fire.”
 
The blonde opened his mouth to retort, but Yuri continued, “It also makes you more passionate. I have no doubt about that.” He laughed.
 
Wolfram `humphed' and stomped down the hill, back towards the village, but Yuri didn't miss the slight smile that tugged at Wolfram's mouth. They didn't talk much as they walked the path around the village walls to the front gate, mostly what Wolfram had planned with Greta that afternoon, and if perhaps, Yuri could join them.
 
And if on cue, Conrad came on horseback to return them home, lightly threatening that Gunter would give them a scolding when they got back to the castle. That man always seemed to know where Yuri ran off to, so it wasn't any surprise to the king that he had brought a spare horse for them to ride back.
 
“What happened to Ao, Yuri?” Conrad questioned as the guards took positions around them.
 
“Oh, he's with Belle and Amelia.” Yuri nodded. “I'll get him tonight. I don't want to spoil his fun.”
 
“Amelia, huh?” Conrad gave Wolfram, whom had taken to steer the horse, a knowing look. “When was the last time you saw her?”
 
Wolfram gave his older brother a fiery glare. “How do you know if we're even talking about that Amelia, Conrad?”
 
Conrad reached forward and patted his horse's neck. “Amelia had a horse named Belle, but it was a young filly then. Yes, and you two had horseback training together if I recall.”
 
“Oh…” Yuri piped up from behind Wolfram. “That's how you two know each other. I thought maybe you dated her.”
 
Conrad and Wolfram simultaneously sighed. When Yuri didn't get a clear response from either of the brothers, he sat back and finished the ride through the village in silence. That was mostly because he had to keep smiling and waving at the villagers as if he were in some sort of parade again.
 
-o-o-
 
Gunter's scolding hadn't been as bad as Yuri thought it could have been, but Conrad had insisted that he knew where they were the whole time and had given the okay. That wasn't all true, but Yuri thanked him profusely anyway when they were out of Gunter's earshot.
 
Conrad patted Yuri's head. “Just make sure something good comes of this.” The taller man lowered his voice, his eyes looking at Wolfram while he whispered to Yuri. “And be gentle with my little brother's feelings.” Conrad smiled and left.
 
Yuri turned to Wolfram, motioning with hand for them to walk together. “What do you plan to do before you go to see Greta?”
 
Wolfram shrugged. “I thought I'd get some sword practice done. Why? What are you going to do?”
 
“I'm not sure.” Yuri laughed. “Even though I asked for the weekend off, I don't have anything in mind. As long as it doesn't involve studying or writing, I'm up for it.”
 
Wolfram stopped when they reached Yuri's room. “If you want to relax, you could always take a bath.”
 
“That actually sounds like a good idea. Do you, uh,” Yuri open his bedroom door and stopped, “want to join me?”
 
Wolfram stepped forward and gave Yuri a quick kiss on the cheek. “I think you'll be seeing enough of me for a day. As much as I loved to, I think you should take the time to rest alone.”
 
“What was that for?” Yuri leaned against the open door frame.
 
“What?”
 
Yuri pointed at his left cheek. “The kiss, the kiss. You get to question my kiss, so I get to question the motive behind your kiss.”
 
Wolfram smiled. “It's complementary to give a kiss on the left cheek after a date. It means that you enjoyed yourself and look forward to another one.”
 
“What does a kiss on the right cheek mean?” Yuri asked, looking from one side of Wolfram's face to the other.
 
“That's mostly just a friendly greeting, but you should have known that already.” Wolfram turned and waved. “I'll-"
 
“Wolfram, wait.” Yuri grasped the blonde's wrist.
 
Wolfram rotated around to face Yuri again, surprise filling his eyes when Yuri took hold of his face with both hands and laid a peck on his left cheek. Wolfram's visage took on a color of red that he hadn't thought was possible as Yuri pulled away and smiled at him.
 
“I just wanted to make sure.” Yuri dropped his hands and stepped back. “Didn't want to get the wrong side or anything.”
 
Wolfram garbled something non-coherent as he dropped his head to hide his eyes behind his blond bangs. He tried to regain his composure and yelled, “You're such a wimp!” Then he bolted off down the hall.
 
“Wimp?!” Yuri shouted back. He sighed and shut the door behind him as he entered his room. “I just don't understand you, Wolfram,” he said to himself, gathering bath supplies. “I wonder if I ever will.”
 
-o-o-
 
End chapter 12
 
OOCness?! But I guess that's bound to happen when Yuri and Wolfram actually show romantic emotions that aren't revealed in the series…
 
Something I had thought about while watching the sunrise myself was that it has all those pretty varying colors because of all the pollution. I assume that in Shin Makoku, they wouldn't have that, so really, would the sunrise/set have those colors? Ah, just go with it. Actually, the sunrise that I was watching wasn't really a sunrise as I was driving up in the mountains, and the Sun just hadn't come up over them yet. That's sort of what I was envisioning now, so that's why the sky isn't quite as orangey as it would have been earlier.
 
Geez! I stretched that kiss until it couldn't be stretched anymore… And sad to say that the kiss on the check after the date was my originally planned first “kiss”. I found so many moments when Yuri said something and they totally should have made out after that, but gah… It's so hard to keep up with Yuri's pace.
 
And I'm sorry the return home wasn't all too detailed. I kept trying to get them back to the castle since the rest of that isn't too important.
 
Read and review, please!