Labyrinth Fan Fiction ❯ Somewhere I Belong ❯ Life Isn't Easy ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Chapter Three: Life Isn't Easy
I don't own the Labyrinth and/or any of its characters.


By the time Sarah finnished the story Toby was sleeping soundly and Lilian yawned slightly. Both of the girls stood and walked out of the room shutting the door with a light click. They went downstairs and sat down on the couch.

"It's been nearly two hours where could they be?" Sarah sighed staring at the old grandfather clock that sat in frent of the stairs. Lilian shrugged, staring at her depressed friend before letting out a sigh of her own.

"Sarah, it's still early, they're probably still out at dinner." Lilian said running her hand through her long curly hair. She grinned suddenly and stood up, "Come on." she said grabbing Sarah's hand and ran into the kitchen nearly dragging Sarah behind her. "Ok....Where's that cook book?" Lilian mumbled opening several cabinets before shutting them quietly so as to not wake Toby.

"Lilian what are you doing?" Sarah said her voice going higher then lower in amusment. Lilian turned her head and smiled at Sarah before turning back around and ducking her head back into the cabinet. "Lilian?" Sarah said grinning when Lilian stood up with a huge smile on her face and a old cook book in her hand.

"We can still make this a good birthday for Toby." Lilian said opening the cook book and lipping through the pages "We can bake him a cake and give him our presents. This'll be a great birthday even without your parents being here." The flipping finally stopped on the page entitled Brithday Cakes. Sarah giggled and flipped the pages to the chocolate cakes.

"This one's good." Sarah said turning an heading for the front door "I'll go get the presents you get started on that cake." Lilian nodded as Sarah rushed out the door. Sarah walked over to the motorcycle and rummaged through the bag hanging off the side before pulling out two beautifully wrapped boxes. "There they are."

"Hey, you found them quicker than I thought you would." Lilian said as Sarah walked through the door. Sarah put the presents down on the table and walked over to where Lilian was standing with a bowl in her hands. Sarah grinned and reached over Lilian's right shoulder trying to get a taste of the unfinnished cake. "No!" Lilian said smacking Sarah's hand with a wooden spoon covered in batter. "Awe now look what happened." Lilian sighed glaring at a grinning Sarah "You are a pain!"

"But you love me for it though." Sarah said licking the batter off of her hand. "You can finnish the cake now." Lilian nodded and finished pouring the batter into a cake pan and sticking it into the oven. Sarah, meanwhile, walked into the den and turned on the television. "What do you want to watch while we wait for the cake to cook?" Sarah called out to Lilian, who in turned said that she didn't care. Sarah shrugged and pulled out the movie Beauty and the Beast. 'I think this is the perfect movie. Of course it's Disney.' Sarah giggled softly to herself and put the movie in and pressed play just as Lilian sat down on the couch. Sarah soon joined Lilian on the couch and both of them relaxed enough to watch the movie.

By th time the ending credits were rolling the cake was done. Sarah pulled it out of the oven and Lilian searched the cabinets, once again, for the white icing. In a half and hour the entire cake was finnished and the girls were busy chatting and putting things away. Sarah was busy setting the table and Lilian was washing the last of the dishes by the time the phone rang and Sarah ran to answer it.

"Hello?" Sarah said with a smile on her face, which quickly turned into a frown. "What do you mean you're not coming home tonight?" Sarah said her voice straining not to go into a growling voice. "It's your son's birthday and you're staying the week at a lodge in the mountains!" Sarah said her voice getting louder and louder iwth each word. Finally she started screaming "Well Fine then! I'll take care of Toby since you two obviously don't care about how he feels about this little arangement!!!!" Sarah slammed the phone down and stomped over to the nearest chair and sat down.

"Let me guess they're not coming home?" Lilian said as she set the cake down on the table. Sarah shook her head and sighed.

"I suppose I should go tell Toby better to get it over with now then put it off till tomorrow." Sarah said before she stood and walked out of the kitchen and up the stairs with Lilian on tow. They got to Toby's room and looked in the room only to see the boy already up. "Tobes, honey you should be asleep." Sarah said walking over to sit on the edge of her brothers bed. Lilian stood in the doorway and watched the pair of siblings waiting for the moment they would have to calm the boy.

"Where are mom and dad?" Toby said looking up at Sarah with tear filled eyes. Sarah sighed and braced herslef fo the tears that were soon to fall.

"They're not coming home tonight Toby. In fact Lilian and I are going to be taking care of you for the next couple of days." Sarah said looking at Tobys face and was surprised to see anger show on his face instead of the hurt she was expecting. "Toby?" Sarah said looking worriedly at Toby who turned his head to stare at her with angry eyes.

"I hate them! They're never home and they allways forget about me!" Toby said his voice soon turning into a scream. When Sarah went to correct him and tell him that his parents loved him very much Toby cut her off by yelling out "I wish the goblins would came and take me away right now!!!" Just as the words escaped his lips the lights in the house began to flicker and thunder rolled in the distance.

"Oh god, Toby what have you done?" Sarah whispered staring at a frightened Toby. The lights went completely out after that was said and Sarah grabbed Toby and held him close to her as lightening flashed in the distance "Lilian?" Sarah called and in an instant Lilian was at her side. Then voices rose up from every corner of the room.

"It's her." one hissed.

"She didn't make the wish again did she?" another whispered.

"She's scared." yet another giggled.

"Oh god!" Sarah whispered holding Toby closer and the thunder got louder and closer to the flashes of lightening. Then there was a banging on the window and the three companions looked over and saw a snow white owl beating agianst the window. "No. No. No." Sarah whispered under her breath in timing with each beat the owl made. Finally the window flew open and a tall man appeared where the owl once was.

"Your him. Your the Goblin King?" Toby said as he clutched onto Sarahs shirt.

"Hmn? Where have I heard that before?" Jareth said his ever present smile on his face. This smile however, was unlike any other smile, it was mocking and cruel. "Ah now I remember. It was uttered by a fifteen year old child about four years ago."

"Go away Goblin King." Sarah said handing Toby over to Lilian who held the boy close to her. Sarah stood at her full height and the terror that once filled her was now gone replaced by a quiet determination.

"Sarah." Jareth said his mask of cold indifference slipping for a second only to be replace just as quickly. "What said is said. The boy, Toby I presume, wished himself away and I will have what is promised to me." He said staring at Sarah.

"You can't have him." Sarah said, crossing her arms and glaring at Jareth, who smirked. "You have no power over me."

"Sarah, Sarah, Sarah." Jareth said shaking his head at her "Those words won't work on me now. Toby made the wish and there is no one to run my labyrinth for him so I am going to take what was supposed to be mine four years ago." Jareth took a few step towards Lilian before Sarah stepped in his way.

"How about a little wager Goblin King. I will run your Labyrinth again for Toby." Sarah said staring into the kings mismatched eyes that twinkled at her notion. Jareth smirked at Sarah and leaned in closer and whispered in her ear.

"Now what makes you think I'll let you run my Labyrinth again for the boy who is to be my heir?" Jareth purred in Sarah's ear causing a shiver to run up and down her spine but she stiffened her spine and glared at the king.

"Because this could be your ultamate revenge. Just imagine..." Sarah whispered as she circled Jareth "the girl who bested your Labyrinth going through it again. It would be the ultimate revenge Jareth." Sarah smirked as she came to a stop in front of Jareth who seemed to be coniplating what she said. Sarah smiled because she knew that she had the great Goblin King right in the palm of her hands.

While Sarah thought she had the king right where she wanted him he knew it was the other way around. The Labyrinth had changed alot since Sarah had beaten it, it had become more vicious and less green. Where flowers once were spikes and poisonous leaves grew, the fieries who once were so playful were now mean and out for blood and he turned his thoughts to another direction. 'This could be the best way to bring the labyrinth back to it once glorious and flourishing self. All I have to do is beat Sarah and keep her in the underground.' With that in mind Jareth smiled and cocked his head slightly to the side.

"I will allow you to take on my labyrinth again if you agree to stay with your brother should I win." Jareth said looking Sarah dead in the eye. Sarah was just about to answer when Lilian took a step forward.

"And I'll go with her!" Lilian said raising her head trying to look proud and sure of herself. Jareth chuckled and took a step towards Lilian and cupped her face with his leather incased hands. The breath in Lilians lungs hitched as she gazed into two mismatched eyes that seemed to go on forever. Neither she nor Sarah had noticed that Toby had disappeared.

"I'll allow that. You and your friend may go through my Labyrinth to get to the castle. You have thirteen hours before you and your baby brother belong to me." Jareth said to Sarah as he faded away. Sarah and Lilian looked out at the endless mace that stretched out in front of them with a large caslte in the middle of it.

"Come on feet." Sarah said and started walking towards the open gates. Lilian ran to catch up to Sarah all the while looking at her surroundings.

"Sarah do you think that we'll be able to do this?" Lilian said looking at Sarahs determined face. Sarah offered Lilian a comforting smile and nothing else untill they found another opening in the seemingly endless hall.

"Lil I've done this before and I can do it again." Sarah said letting a silence come between the two friends as they continued the long walk to the center of the maze.