Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ Happy Nation ❯ Betrayal ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own anything from the Zelda series. Although the characters are mine.
Happy Nation
Chapter 3: Betrayal
The boy's aunt and uncle had come to take his mother's body from him. When they arrived, the boy was seated in the chair next to the woman's bedside. The way he was seated made him look like a rag doll. He was asleep with his head buried behind his thin arms. His clothes hanging from his gaunt form. One of his legs hung off the chair at an angle while the other was bent under him for extra support.
His aunt went to his side and placed a hand on his shoulder. She then looked at her husband. “He appears to still be alive, what should we do with him?”
Her husband shook his head, and replied, “I'm not sure at this time, Vivian.” He then glanced at his sister's lifeless form as it lay on the white bed sheets.
Vivian sighed, removing her hand from her nephew's bony shoulder. “One thing is for sure” she began, “he can't stay here.”
With that said, they picked up the boy's mother from her resting place and walked out of the room. As soon as they were gone, and out of earshot, the boy lifted his head. Anger was plastered on his gaunt face as he stared at the door.
“You can't take her away from me” he began, “I won't let you.” He then stood and walked, slowly from the room.
The boy's aunt and uncle had put his mother into a coffin and were headed to the graveyard to bury her body. Once there, they removed the coffin from their car and carried it over to the already dug hole.
They carefully lowered the wooden casket into its resting place and then proceeded to bury it.
Their nephew, whom they believed to be asleep, walked cautiously toward them from behind. `I won't let you take her from me.” He thought. When he was close enough to attack, he lifted a silver dagger to the man's neck. “She is mine!” He yelled, digging the knife into the back of his uncle's neck.
“Henri!” Vivian yelled as she looked back and saw what had happened to her husband. She stared in shock at the young boy on his back stabbing him with a dagger. Vivian ran over and pulled her nephew off of her husband who was now face down in the dirt in a puddle of his own blood.
She looked her nephew in the eyes as tears streamed from hers. “What have you done?” She asked the boy.
Her nephew was not fazed by the look of despair on her face; it seemed to make him happy that she was in pain. “She is mine.” He said. “You want to take her away from me. So…” he paused to look back at Henri, “I took him from you.”
With that said, he took the rope that they had tied to the coffin and pulled it out from the grave. When he had accomplished this, he opened it and took his mother's body out. Before leaving the cemetery, he looked back once more at his aunt, then walked away, carrying his mother in his arms.
(One week later in Vivian's home)
“That's awful.” The elderly woman Mary said as she stared at her friend in shock. “So you are the devil child's aunt.”
Vivian looked up at Mary and said, “He is not a devil child.” She then looked down at the picture of her and her husband she held in her hands. “He is just misunderstood. He needs someone to love him.”
“Vivian,” began Rose, “Do you really believe that? I mean, he murdered your husband right in front of you.”
Vivian nodded her head sadly, “Yes, he did. But…”
“But nothing.” Mary said, placing a hand on Vivian's shoulder. “Why do you insist on protecting him like this after what he did to you.”
“Because he is my nephew and I love him.” Vivian said, tears streaming down her flushed cheeks.
Mary pulled her into a tight hug and said, “I know, dear. It is understandable that you love him. But you have to understand…”
Vivian pulled away from her, “No, Mary. You have to understand that this is my nephew. His mother told my husband and me that if anything was to happen to them, then she wanted us to take him into our care.” She took a deep, shuttering breath and finished, “He needs someone to love him. And that person might as well be the one his mother chose.”
“Yes, I agree.” Rose said before standing to leave. “Come on Mary. We should leave her to her thoughts.”
“Alright.” Mary said, as she too stood and headed for the door.
“Thank you for coming.” Vivian said.
“Your welcome.” Said Mary.
“Thank you for having us.” Said Rose.
(Abandoned building on the outskirts of town)
The boy sat on a wooden crate watching his mother in her eternal slumber. Her body was developing a smell, but he hadn't noticed. He simply saw how peaceful she looked, pale faced in the moonlight.
“No one will ever take you away from me, Mother. I will make sure of that.”