Legend Of Zelda Fan Fiction ❯ The Links Return ❯ Chapter nine ( Chapter 10 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: Zelda four swords doe's not and, sadly will never belong to me.
AN: Getting a little bored writing this... any one think I should stop?

 
 

The fire crackled inside the dark cave where our heroes decided to spend the night. Outside the rain had stopped again, leaving everything cold and wet.
The once clean, clear Lake Hylia, slowly turned red, and began to boil. A dark, cloaked figure stood next to the lake, looking far to pleased with himself.

As he turned to leave he noticed the barely visible, but still fresh tracts in the mud. Zora tracks. A distasteful hiss feel from his lips, as he realized that effort had all been in vain… but his expression changed as a new, better plan formed in his corrupt head. He chuckled evilly and vanished.

…………………… ………………..

Vio glared out the mouth of the cave. He was almost
certain he'd seen something moving around out there. Not that he could be sure with the fire going. `Ugh…' he thought, letting his head fall back against the wall. `My eyes are playing tricks on me. I need to get more sleep.' But he couldn't yet. It was his turn to play look out while the others slept. Mostly he was to keep an eye on the Zora girl, make sure she didn't pull anything funny. Not that it really mattered, because she seemed to be telling the truth. He yawned.

“I'll take over now.” Spirit said, sitting up. He was fully awake. “You need more sleep.”

Vio crossed his arms defiantly, not wanting to except help from the light being. “I can finish my watch myself.”

“I can not sleep anyway.” He admitted. “There's no point in both of us being awake.” When he got no answer he sighed. “Have it your way. I'm going to stay up regardless of your choice. So you can go to sleep, or you can slay up and endure my company.” That did the trick. With a final glare, Vio grabbed his sleeping bag, curled up and went to sleep.

…………………… 230;…………….

“Lava?” Green asked flabbergasted, pausing in rolling up his sleeping bag. “Lake Hylia turned to lava?”

When morning had come, thought it was hard to tell with the clouds blocking any and all light, Red and Spirit had gone down to the lake to catch breakfast. A few minutes later Red had run back yelling that the lake had turned to lava. Ruto jumped up. “That's impossible! I mean… Lake Hylia's frozen before but… turn to lava? That just can't happen!”

“I have to see this.” Vio muttered hurrying to finish packing. The others fallowed his lead, then they hurried down.

Spirit looked up as they approached. “About time. I have no idea what happened.” He motioned to the lake. It was deep red and boiling hard.

“It had turned to lava!” Ruto screamed, horrified that she would not be able to return home.

“It has not turned to lava.” Vio corrected, grabbing a stick and kneeling at the edge of the lake. “Lava is much thicker. This is still water.” He stirred the water with the stick, then pulled it out undamaged. “See…?”

The group had to agree, not that Ruto was any more pleased. “So… what do you think happened?” Shadow asked.

He shook his head. “I don't know. But I'll bet Malachi's got something to do with it.” He looked at them. “Since he seems to like messing with us, destroying our water scores would be a good way to do that.”

“That basterd.” Blue muttered angrily. “What the hell are we going to drink?”

“Rain water?” Red suggested.

Vio shook his head. “He can do anything he wants to the rain. That might be how he changed the lake. We've still got some water left… but we should try to figure out what is wrong here.”

Green nodded. “Agreed. Ruto? Is there any other entrances to the Zora kingdom?”

She looked surprised. “Other than the lake?” she thought about it then nodded. “There is one. But it's ancient. No one uses it any more for fear it might collapse. It though an old temple.” She shrugged. “And it's completely under water.”

“Vio and Red, you two stay here and see if you can figure out what's up with the water. Spirit, try and find something to eat. I'd rather we save the food we have now until we absolutely need it.” Green pointed at Blue and Shadow. “You two come with me. We're going to check out that temple.”

…………………&# 8230;…………………

Ruto lead them to a large stone door, carved into the rocky mountain surrounding the lake. “This is it.” She told them, bracing her hands against the door, and trying to roll it aside. It didn't budge. “I can't seem to-“ Blue and Green helped, copying her motion and the door gave way. “Much better.”

Dark stairs lead into dark water, but at least it wasn't red. “This area must be cut off from Lake Hylia.” Shadow pointed out. “This leads directly to Zora kingdom?” Ruto nodded.

“Perhaps Lake Hylia's been cut off from the kingdom.” Green suggested. “…I'm going down.”

“Green, you won't be able to stay under long. There's no point.” Shadow said quickly.

Though he didn't want to, he had to agree. “I could get some tunics!” Ruto exclaimed. “We normally don't just give out Zora tunics, but I'll make an exception for you guys. Just let me swim down and get-“

“It's too risky.” Green interrupted.

“If Malachi knows of this place, his monsters will be all over.” Shadow pointed out.

Even Blue agreed. “You wouldn't stand a chance.”

“You could get injured, captured, or worse.” Green sighed. “We'll have to find another way down.”

“There is no other way!” She argued, then ripped three scales off her arm, wincing at the slight pain. “Take these. They will let you hold your breath longer. I'm going to take a look.” Before they could stop her, she ran down the stairs and dove into the water. Alarmed they jumped in after her.

She was already a yard ahead, but still visible (1). Something glowed light blue. “Hey guys, look at this!” Ruto said circling the light. “What do you think it is? Oh wait, you can't talk right now.” She stuck her hand threw it as they caught up, but nothing happened. “Some kind of Zora magic…”

Blue, impatient as always, also touched it, but as he did, the light shot forward, and slammed into his chest. They all gasped in surprise. Never a good idea to do under water. Green and Shadow quickly swam back to the top, coughing violently when they broke the surface. Ruto and Blue emerged a few seconds latter looking pleased (Ruto) and annoyed (Blue). “What the heck was that?” Green asked.

“I told you!” Ruto giggled. “Zora magic! It turned Blues tunic in to a Zora tunic.”

Green glanced at Shadow. “Ironic right? Never mind. This works out perfectly. Ruto, Blue will escort you back home.”

Her face fell. She'd loved seeing Zora magic in action, but she hadn't realized that meant traveling with grumpy, not-liking-her, Blue. Blue scowled. “The goddesses must be punishing me…”

“You two better behave. Ruto you to do everything Blue says, and Blue listen to Ruto. She knows more about this area that you do.”

“Oh shut up Green! I know what to do!” Blue snapped then dove under water. Ruto fallowed.

Shadow and Green looked at each other. “We're screwed.”
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Kind of a cliff hanger… a bad on anyway.

(1) You know how Zora's disappear in OoT? Well I've decided they can decide weather or not people can see them in the water.

(2) Zora magic (which I believe is made up) is rare among the Zora's, so that's why Ruto's surprised.